PDA

View Full Version : A Level Sciences

Mina Vagante
May 5th, 2008, 08:54 PM
So.. I'm choosing my A levels for Sept term.. And i already have chosen PE, Spanish, Biology, Law and Businees. But then i was thinking about doing Chemisty instead of Business but i heard that the work is like SOLID.

I dont know what the equivalent is in other countires but it's like the qualification right before University here.

So do any people from UK or elsewhere have any ideas on how hard Biology and Chemisty are at A level?

Im 16 now btw

Demska
May 5th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Do not do a science !!!

Trust me, what grades are you getting in them?

If you're not getting A or A* at GCSE don't do them. I'm doing Human Biology and it's so tough.

Some of my friends who do chemistry also hate it because it's too tough. If you think it's just a fill in course, trust me they will take over your life :tape:

Mina Vagante
May 5th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Do not do a science !!!

Trust me, what grades are you getting in them?

If you're not getting A or A* at GCSE don't do them. I'm doing Human Biology and it's so tough.

Some of my friends who do chemistry also hate it because it's too tough. If you think it's just a fill in course, trust me they will take over your life :tape:

Ahhhh Jeez... Now im confused again

Kart
May 5th, 2008, 10:14 PM
What do you want to do with your life ? Will business be a better choice ?

I did chemistry and biology A-levels but that was almost before you were born so I doubt I'll be much use.

kwilliams
May 5th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I did Chemistry for a while when I was doing the Leaving Cert (A level equivalent). I found it quite manageable but I didn't find it all that interesting so I switched to Geography in my final year of school which was much more interesting and really easy too.

Since you're already doing Biology it might be a good idea to diversify and do Business, which would also go quite well with Law. I suppose it all depends on what you want to study in university.

Conor
May 6th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Do not! do chemistry. Althought I dropped it after 4 classes (couldnt stand the teacher lol) my friends who are getting like 4 straight A's says that the A2 modules, especially mod 4 is really difficult... its nearly all application of knowledge and theres a ton of stuff to learn.

Very wise choice with biology. All you do is learn the stuff then regergetate it in the exam. Like even I, who does close to zero revision, is just 9 off an A going into the last 2 modules... which are largely synoptic + theres an essay question :help: Also depends if you like the subject or not. I love biology (minus the chemistry bits lol), doing in it uni in september XD

So hows your Spanish going?? Have you done your oral yet??? I have my reading and listenining next wednesday, then the oral on thursday... then the literature the following monday lol

mariahdg
May 6th, 2008, 09:21 AM
chemistry need to remember periodic table of elements and chemical equation this is basic ....many things

I learned chemistry 4 years in middle school,physics 5 years. learnd physics in college again. :rolleyes:

If I could chose again, I'd perfer history+politics rather than physics+chemistry
I don't know the qualification before going to university in your country.

I can tell you get A in science subjects is easiler than arts; just qualified in arts is easlier than science subjects.

Demska
May 6th, 2008, 11:44 AM
What do you want to do with your life ? Will business be a better choice ?

I did chemistry and biology A-levels but that was almost before you were born so I doubt I'll be much use.

Probably.

Demska
May 6th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Do not! do chemistry. Althought I dropped it after 4 classes (couldnt stand the teacher lol) my friends who are getting like 4 straight A's says that the A2 modules, especially mod 4 is really difficult... its nearly all application of knowledge and theres a ton of stuff to learn.

Very wise choice with biology. All you do is learn the stuff then regergetate it in the exam. Like even I, who does close to zero revision, is just 9 off an A going into the last 2 modules... which are largely synoptic + theres an essay question :help: Also depends if you like the subject or not. I love biology (minus the chemistry bits lol), doing in it uni in september XD

So hows your Spanish going?? Have you done your oral yet??? I have my reading and listenining next wednesday, then the oral on thursday... then the literature the following monday lolI have my French AS Oral on Friday :scared:

In Biology/Human Biology you have to learn so many new words. The mark scheme is so precise, you have to know all the names of processes in loads of detail or you get 0

Mina Vagante
May 6th, 2008, 04:05 PM

So hows your Spanish going?? Have you done your oral yet??? I have my reading and listenining next wednesday, then the oral on thursday... then the literature the following monday lol

Hey Conor, My Spanish oral did not go well :tape: She asked 'Que tipo de musica te gusta? I said 'Musica pop'. She goes 'oh y por que?' I then stupidly say 'No se' :tape:. I was really bad, though she said it was an A so i'm happy with that.

I have my Listening and reading next week then i'm all done. Ooohhh Literature in A level?

I kinda wanna do Chemistry at least its not Physics :lol:

LDF
May 6th, 2008, 04:44 PM
As a couple of others have said, it depends on what you want to do at university. If you want to do a science-based course, Chemistry will unequivocally be useful.

I'm currently in the my first year of sixth form, doing Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Geography, and I would say that unless you uphold a strong work ethic then Chemistry is arguably the most difficult (along with Maths). It's quite a step up from GCSEs; initially you do the 'basics' (i.e. interaction between molecules, bonding, etc.) before moving onto organic chemistry (which is a BITCH) and reaction rates/equilibrium, etc.

Organic chemistry is horrible, as there is an enormous amount to learn, but the other topics aren't too bad. I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you get higher than an A at GCSE though, as you'll probably struggle.

angele87
May 6th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I'm from Canada and our education system is a lot different but on the subject of chemistry in general, I would not recommend it unless you a) like the subject and b) are going to need it/it will be useful in university. I personally love chemistry... I did well in high school and in university. I was working towards a degree in chemistry until I switched over to pharmacy. Along the way though I met a lot of people who hated it though, so be careful.

Dave.
May 6th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I didn't pick any of the sciences but everyone I know that did has said they don't like it. I'm just about to take my AS exams (i'm doing business too, and ict, theology & history). Business is easy enough.

btw, how come you're doing 5?

saint2
May 6th, 2008, 06:10 PM
So.. I'm choosing my A levels for Sept term.. And i already have chosen PE, Spanish, Biology, Law and Businees. But then i was thinking about doing Chemisty instead of Business but i heard that the work is like SOLID.

I dont know what the equivalent is in other countires but it's like the qualification right before University here.

So do any people from UK or elsewhere have any ideas on how hard Biology and Chemisty are at A level?

Im 16 now btw

Stop wastin' Your time, drink some beer, and You'd feel better...

Sean.
May 6th, 2008, 06:27 PM
For A level I did Maths, Politics, Economics and English. But my brother did 3 sciences and maths, and has never used the sciences in his life so far.

I can tell you that the sciences are HARD, A level is very different from GCSE. If you think you will put the work in and really keep at it and you REALLY enjoy chemistry then take it. If nothing else it looks good on your UCAS form.

I would agree only take it if you get at least an A at gcse.

Second thing why are you doing 5 subjects the norm is 4? And law, if you are planning to do it at Uni they prefer that you don't actually take it at A level, as they teach it differently.

None of us know you, so it is very up to you. Just one thing AS are SO important you really do have to work. If you do that you will be fine. Good luck.

Mina Vagante
May 6th, 2008, 08:58 PM
For A level I did Maths, Politics, Economics and English. But my brother did 3 sciences and maths, and has never used the sciences in his life so far.

I can tell you that the sciences are HARD, A level is very different from GCSE. If you think you will put the work in and really keep at it and you REALLY enjoy chemistry then take it. If nothing else it looks good on your UCAS form.

I would agree only take it if you get at least an A at gcse.

Second thing why are you doing 5 subjects the norm is 4? And law, if you are planning to do it at Uni they prefer that you don't actually take it at A level, as they teach it differently.

None of us know you, so it is very up to you. Just one thing AS are SO important you really do have to work. If you do that you will be fine. Good luck.

Stop wastin' Your time, drink some beer, and You'd feel better...

Heyyyy thanks for the advice :worship:

Umm.. Well you need to get 5B's and GCSE to do 4 or 5 A levels. Every-one seems to be doing 5 so i thought why not me:).. Umm what did i get in GCSE? hmm I think a B and an A*. I would really want to do Chemistry but just afraid that I will find it REALLY hard

Conor
May 6th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Hey Conor, My Spanish oral did not go well :tape: She asked 'Que tipo de musica te gusta? I said 'Musica pop'. She goes 'oh y por que?' I then stupidly say 'No se' :tape:. I was really bad, though she said it was an A so i'm happy with that.

I have my Listening and reading next week then i'm all done. Ooohhh Literature in A level?

I kinda wanna do Chemistry at least its not Physics :lol:

:lol: Dont worry, I think we all say some daft things during our oral... last year I cursed a few times durin' it cause i couldnt remember parts of my presentation. And im sure you'll do well on the listening and reading, aslong as you know your present, preterite and simple future you'll be grand... could throw in an ol' subjunctive if you really wanna impress! :-p And yes... literature :rolleyes: god its so boring, in A2 you have to do 1 novel AND 1 play... which is a pain.

As for chemistry... if you really think your up for all the work, considering your doing 5!! then go for it. But as somebody said before, unless you got at least double A at GCSE you'll really struggle. As for physics, I dont know much about it but I dont it can be harder than chem lol

angele87
May 7th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Chemistry and Physics are two totally different subjects so it's hard to compare the two and decide which is harder. I really have a hard time understand how you could be undecided about chemistry though. Maybe if you shared with us what you're planning to do in university/in life, you'd be able to get more useful advice?

Mina Vagante
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Bumpy:)

Here's the new 411... I just had my 6th from induction and went to AS level Biology and Chemistry classes. I pretty certain on doing Biology for AS as i found it quite easy.

In the Chemistry lesson we just did Titrations which,again, was pretty easy...But I KNOW i'tll be MUCH harder when I actually do it:o

More opinions needed please ;)

lavigne41
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I just steered clear when it came to the sciences :lol: I've chosen to do maths, economics, business and accounts. :cool:

Mina Vagante
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I just steered clear when it came to the sciences :lol: I've chosen to do maths, economics, business and accounts. :cool:

You love your numbers then :lol:

lavigne41
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:52 PM
It's the only thing (other than sport) I'm relatively good at :lol: Oh and ICT but that's sooooooooo boring.

debopero
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Are A-Lvel courses he same thing as AP Level courses?

Europe rocks
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:11 PM

Here's the new 411... I just had my 6th from induction and went to AS level Biology and Chemistry classes. I pretty certain on doing Biology for AS as i found it quite easy.

In the Chemistry lesson we just did Titrations which,again, was pretty easy...But I KNOW i'tll be MUCH harder when I actually do it:o

I remember my first Chemistry lesson our teacher was trying to make us learn van der Waal's forces by ourselves, which was not fun. The first few lessons I found Chemistry quite difficult, but then because I didn't do the Double Award Science GCSE I found the transition from GCSE to AS much easier than a couple of people in my Chemistry who hadn't done the separate sciences.

Personally, I don't find the workload too heavy for Chemistry, but then again one of my friends spends hours trying to get his head around everything, it just depends on how well you are at picking up new concepts and linking them together. If you do decide to do Chemistry, make sure that you don't forget anything, even when you are doing A2 Chemistry, there are lots of things from AS which you can build on. Pretty much the same as Biology, but Biology is much easier imo. Chemistry is a really worthwhile subject to do and it would look more impressive if you did Chemistry than something like Drama on UCAS forms/CV's and so on :)

Conor
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:48 AM

Well if you are still planning on doing 5 A Levels then I would stay well clear of it. Even more so if your school doesnt let you sit some modules in january rather than cramming them all in in the summer. Some people are sayin it will look good on your ucas application but only if you get a respectable grade! A D isnt going too impressive is it? Go for it if you want to. If you feel its too much work or not worthwhile you can always drop out of the class. That way you can spend more time on your other subjects! :)