PDA

View Full Version : Girl carries secret baby to hospital, still attached

Infiniti2001
May 4th, 2008, 05:36 PM
LONG BEACH, California (AP) -- A 17-year-old girl gave birth secretly at home, then walked four blocks to a hospital with the baby still attached by its umbilical cord.

http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/US/05/04/teen.birth.ap/art.teen.birth.ap.jpg

Xochitl Parra holds newborn Alejandro, as her sister, left, a nurse and Parra's mother pose with her Saturday.

"I was just a little nervous" when the labor began, Xochitl Parra said Friday from St. Mary Medical Center as she cradled her 8-pound, 3-ounce son, Alejandro.

The boy was normal and "eating like a champ," said Dr. Jose Perez, director of the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.

The teenager said she was alone and taking a shower around 5:30 a.m. Wednesday to get ready for school. Then the contractions took over.

"I felt his head coming, so I sit down and pushed so he could come out," she said.

Parra did not call 911 because the home phone was disconnected, and she did not want to wake the neighbors because it was so early. Instead, she wrapped the baby, got dressed and went to the hospital on foot.

"I started walking and jogging to the hospital," she said.

The teen came into the hospital lobby and asked for help, Perez said.

"She still had the placenta and the baby was still attached, so of course everyone said, 'Don't move!' " he said.

Perez praised the girl for taking quick action.

"They could have bled to death; thank God that didn't happen," the doctor said. "She was very clever. She knew what to do. She wrapped the baby up and walked over here."

Parra, a sophomore at Long Beach Poly High, said she kept her pregnancy a secret because she was afraid her mother would "kick me out of the house." Her mother has now accepted the situation and is going to help the teen care for the baby so she can continue attending school, Parra said.

Perez called the outcome "heartwarming."

"We hear so much negative with teenagers throwing their babies in the Dumpsters," he said. "This baby is fine, and hopefully there will be a happy ending with the extended family.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/04/teen.birth.ap/index.html

:eek:

SOA_MC
May 4th, 2008, 05:49 PM
There seems to be alot of teenage girls that keep their pregnancy a secret even from their family. Somebody should look into the reasons why they do at least for the babys sake.

Destiny
May 4th, 2008, 06:50 PM
:sad:
It's sad that she had to keep it a secret. At least it didn't lead to the baby dying.

kwilliams
May 4th, 2008, 06:56 PM
So she didn't pass the placenta!? That must've been one messy walk to the hospital.

It must've been so scary for her to give birth by herself in a shower.

Direwolf
May 4th, 2008, 08:05 PM
if shes a smart girl
she should have used a condom..

i really dont know what the writer is trying to bring...
seems like he/she likes teenagers giving birth

Wiggly
May 4th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I never understood how so many teenagers kept their pregancy secret. I mean, isn't visible? :confused:

Seyz
May 4th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Uh.. how did she hide a pregnancy? How did her parents *not* notice?

spartanfan
May 4th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Two things. If you are a plus sized girl/woman and wear baggy clothes then its easy to hide. Did noone else pick up on the fact that she's 17 and a sophomore in high school? I turned 17 in the fall of my SENIOR year in hight school. Did noone else find this strange?

b_o_r
May 4th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Two things. If you are a plus sized girl/woman and wear baggy clothes then its easy to hide. Did noone else pick up on the fact that she's 17 and a sophomore in high school? I turned 17 in the fall of my SENIOR year in hight school. Did noone else find this strange?
:tape: Sometimes that happens in public schools. We had a 13 year old who was in the 3rd grade back in the early 90's

Infiniti2001
May 4th, 2008, 10:37 PM

Kids get left behind for so many reasons (she could be one of them). I turned 17 just after I graduated and did my exams for A level :shrug:

spartanfan
May 4th, 2008, 10:58 PM
:tape: Sometimes that happens in public schools. We had a 13 year old who was in the 3rd grade back in the early 90's
Get the fuck out! Where the hell did you go to school?

Bijoux0021
May 4th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Get the fuck out! Where the hell did you go to school?
It does happen. And there's nothing unusual about it. There are many kids in the public schools that don't speak English or just having a hard time learning. In some cases, English is their second or third language, so they can't keeping up with other kids who don't have these problems. As a result, they have to be left behind before they can graduate. Having said all that, you still have many young adults who are graduating high school every year and can't even read.

spartanfan
May 4th, 2008, 11:35 PM
It does happen. And there's nothing unusual about it. There are many kids in the public schools that don't speak English or just having a hard time learning. In some cases, English is their second or third language, so they can't keeping up with other kids who don't have these problems. As a result, they have to be left behind before they can graduate. Having said all that, you still have many young adults who are graduating high school every year and can't even read.
Please don't get me wrong. I admire the fact that she still was going to school 9 months pregnant. And I hope she continues on and graduates for both her and her sons future.

DaMamaJama87
May 5th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Man what a trashy story all around. 17 year old still in her sophomore year gets pregnant out of wedlock and hides it from her oblivious family for nine months. Doesn't consult any medical help the entire time endangering the baby's health and starts having contractions in the shower. Can't call 911 because her phone line's been cut off so walks to the hospital with the baby still attached. Wow. It's like 5 Jerry Springer episodes in one.

mirzalover
May 5th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Shh was probably already a big girl and maybe she didnt show it much. I saw this one episode of Dr Phil or Oprah whatever were a girl and her boyfriend decided to hide her pregnancy and they wrapped her body everyday to keep her from showing. she went to school and everything.

gentenaire
May 5th, 2008, 06:52 AM
It's a pretty sad world if girls are praised these days for not killing the baby.

meyerpl
May 5th, 2008, 07:49 AM
The doctor said she was "very clever". I'd like to see this doctor's idea of "really stupid".

samsung101
May 5th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Sad to say, in So. Cal., to read of a story where a baby is found dead after birth,
or a mother is arrested days later after dumping her dead newborn in a trash can,
is not uncommon.

A USC student was arrested and tried last year, for the 2nd or 3rd time,for putting
her dead newborn in a trash can. She said it was born dead. It turned out it was
the 2nd time she had done that w/i a few years. She's a USC student, what?

So, yeah, this girl is being given credit for not just dumping her baby in a trash bin
(sad, we actually applaud that these days), and for at least keeping the baby alive.

Yes, I have to give her some credit for that too.

Fact is in So. Cal. you can legally drop a newborn off at a fire or police station
or any hospital, without punishment, if you can't keep it, or want it. Legally. Last
year, some lady put her newborn in a church bathroom during a service, so someone would
take care of it. As they did.

TomasUli
May 5th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Man what a trashy story all around. 17 year old still in her sophomore year gets pregnant out of wedlock and hides it from her oblivious family for nine months. Doesn't consult any medical help the entire time endangering the baby's health and starts having contractions in the shower. Can't call 911 because her phone line's been cut off so walks to the hospital with the baby still attached. Wow. It's like 5 Jerry Springer episodes in one.

:lol::lol::lol:

blackcrave
May 6th, 2008, 02:29 PM
keeping it from your family is really bad... and what she did was dangerous to both the mother and the baby's health