PDA

View Full Version : It should have been called 'Tony Stark', not 'Iron Man'

Volcana
May 3rd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Having said that, not a bad flick.

For $5.50.

lee station
May 3rd, 2008, 09:56 PM
does the alcohol issue appear in the story? i started following the comic around that time

hingis-seles
May 3rd, 2008, 10:34 PM
Agreed. I saw it today. Average at best. But then, I saw Bobby Z and P2. So, Iron Man didn't seem so bad after all. :lol:

darrinbaker00
May 4th, 2008, 05:05 AM
does the alcohol issue appear in the story? i started following the comic around that time
I haven't seen the movie, but with a recovering addict playing the lead role, I would think not.

Volcana
May 4th, 2008, 06:31 AM
does the alcohol issue appear in the story? i started following the comic around that timeNo. It's basically an introduction to the characters, and making it way more current.

Tony Stark, Pepper Potts, Jim Rhodes more or less true to the comic, and Obediah Stain as way more integral to Stark Industries. Happy Hogan is there but they don't explain him.

It's basically 'The Re-birth of Tony Stark', more movies to follow.

miffedmax
May 4th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I thought it was really good, but I have to admit I went because my kid wanted to see it. I didn't follow Iron Man, being pretty much a Spiderman kind of guy so I didn't have anything to compare it to in terms of following the original.

spartanfan
May 4th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I've never read the comic book, but thought the movie was great. Can't wait to see what the sequels are like.

miffedmax
May 4th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Well, both my fanboy sons have now given it high marks.

Denise4925
May 5th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I can't wait to see it. The trailers look really good. I was a fan of the comic book. :)

lee station
May 5th, 2008, 09:38 AM
the can suit :worship: el traje de lata :lol:

RVD
May 5th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Marvels Comics fanboy here...and LOVED the film. :worship:
The wife and kids did too.
Great translation from comic to big screen. In fact, I'd say that it was arguably the best so far.
Plus my best friend was one of the CG Animators so that was kewl too. :cool:
The film had us all shocked during the opening bloodbath scenes, and then laughing till our stomachs hurt during the mid-film build-up prototyping. And I never though faceless, one-armed, industrial robots could be so funny and entertaining! :lol:
Going to see it again either Monday or Tuesday, plus I'll be purchasing a copy for the DVD library. :wavey:

RVD
May 5th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I've never read the comic book, but thought the movie was great. Can't wait to see what the sequels are like.

"Iron Man" producer Marvel mulling next movie
Fri May 2, 2008 3:31am EDT

By Steven Zeitchik

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - With "Iron Man" set to explode this weekend, the next question for producer Marvel Entertainment is: What now?

One big variable is who does the distribution. When its financing deal was announced in summer 2005, Marvel said the deal "guarantees distribution for 10 films" through Paramount.

But that guarantee means the Melrose Avenue studio must distribute movies Marvel brings to it. For Marvel, the pact is simply a two-picture deal, with "Iron Man" the first and Marvel obligated only to distribute its next movie through Paramount. (Universal's "The Incredible Hulk" is exempt.)

An additional provision requires that movies based on "Captain America" and "Nick Fury" go through Paramount should they be made, with either film also counting toward the two-picture deal. Sequels of Paramount-distributed movies also will remain with the studio.

As a result, Marvel properties including "The Avengers," "Thor" and "Ant Man" could conceivably end up with other distributors.

Three years ago, the company wanted to stress the Paramount deal to show it had a pipeline; now, with "Iron Man" tracking well, Marvel aims to show Wall Street that the fledgling studio has flexibility.

Marvel also needs to convince investors it can deliver a steady stream of product. Despite a deep reservoir of characters, it plans on releasing only two titles per year.

"There's a lot riding on 'Iron Man' for Marvel because they don't have a lot of movies," director Jon Favreau said.

Marvel likely won't be releasing any movies in 2009, as the studio would have to be in pre-production now to make a summer date but isn't, mainly because of fears that Hollywood's actors will go out on strike in the summer.

"We're not going to risk our characters by rushing them," Marvel president of production Kevin Feige said. When asked about the timing of an 'Iron Man" sequel, he added that "two or three years is the proper time between movies." Favreau added, "I'd do number two in a heartbeat."

The studio's next project is expected to be announced on an earnings call Monday, with "Avengers," "Ant Man" and "Thor" the favorites. ("Captain America" is a prime property but is perceived as a tough sale overseas.)

Some question whether the Marvel characters waiting in the wings have the appeal of previously licensed characters like "Spider-Man" and "The X-Men." But Marvel president David Maisel said the key ingredient to make a film successful isn't "more well-known or less well-known characters but tender-loving care."

The earnings call will prove an unusually direct referendum on Marvel. Most film studios get buried on a conglomerate balance sheet. But since the publisher-turned-studio will see much of its growth from movies, weekend grosses likely will make its stock price soar or fall, kind of like, well, a superhero.

Marvel's shares rose 86 cents, or 3%, to $29.55 on the New York Stock Exchange on Thursday, near its 52-week high of

$30.27.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

RVD
May 5th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I can't wait to see it. The trailers look really good. I was a fan of the comic book. :)FYI...

Make sure you stay beyond the closing credits. ;)

BigB08822
May 5th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I really wish I had gotten into comic books now. I watch all these movies and have NO clue about any of their back stories or characters besides what they make obvious in the plot and dialogue. I've never read a single comic book in my life.

miffedmax
May 5th, 2008, 05:57 PM
There are some pretty general guides available for both Marvel and DC superheroes.

You can also pick up copies of "The Essential (Insert name of Superhero) that are b&w reprints of the early editions that give you the original story.

A lot of characters have also been "reimagined," or had their stories updated and freshened by new writers and artist. In some cases, these are IMHO better than the originals because comic books have evolved so much since the '60s and '70s, with much more attention being given to things like character development and nuance in a less black-and-white world.

Anyway, if you're really interested I've yet to meet a comic shop owner/employee who isn't happy to share his/her passion with a new reader. I don't really do the monthly story thing as I tend to by either graphic novels or anthologies--easier if you are crunched for time.

Of course, I'm also the last surviving Howard the Duck fan, so what do I know?

And I"m still waiting for a movie of The Authority. Jenny Sparks rocks.

miffedmax
May 5th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Marvels Comics fanboy here...and LOVED the film. :worship:
The wife and kids did too.
Great translation from comic to big screen. In fact, I'd say that it was arguably the best so far.
Plus my best friend was one of the CG Animators so that was kewl too. :cool:
The film had us all shocked during the opening bloodbath scenes, and then laughing till our stomachs hurt during the mid-film build-up prototyping. And I never though faceless, one-armed, industrial robots could be so funny and entertaining! :lol:
Going to see it again either Monday or Tuesday, plus I'll be purchasing a copy for the DVD library. :wavey:

Nothing is allowed to be better than Spiderman (who is OBVIOUSLY the greatest comics hero ever). But this came very, very, very close.

darrinbaker00
May 5th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Nothing is allowed to be better than Spiderman (who is OBVIOUSLY the greatest comics hero ever). But this came very, very, very close.
BLASPHEMER!! :devil: There's The Batman :worship:, and then there's everybody else.

That being said, based on the reviews I've read here, I'll have to put "Iron Man" on my to-do list for this weekend. Question: did they use the Black Sabbath masterpiece of the same name in the movie, or was that just for the trailers?

Denise4925
May 5th, 2008, 06:29 PM
FYI...

Make sure you stay beyond the closing credits. ;)

Okay. :)

LeRoy.
May 5th, 2008, 06:44 PM
i thought the film is being vastly over-rated. It was ok to me but then i don't get Hollywood' growing obsession with superhero movies. :shrug:

Apparenty Ironman will make a guest appearance in the next Hulk movie for those who are interested.

miffedmax
May 5th, 2008, 07:40 PM
BLASPHEMER!! :devil: There's The Batman :worship:, and then there's everybody else.

That being said, based on the reviews I've read here, I'll have to put "Iron Man" on my to-do list for this weekend. Question: did they use the Black Sabbath masterpiece of the same name in the movie, or was that just for the trailers?

Batman is like the gov't. He just throws money at a problem. Unlike most gov'ts, he does at least usually solve the problem.

Yes, Iron Man plays over the credits, which is one of two reasons to stay for them.

AcesHigh
May 5th, 2008, 07:42 PM
One of the best films of 2008 so far..very easily. It wasn't just a superhero movie, it was great acting by Robert Downey Jr. (who is an underrated actor) and Jeff Bridges, and a good cast overrall.

$100+million and deservedly so. The Spiderman movies were great, but I enjoyed the lack of cheesy jokes in Iron Man and the fact that this movie had actual esteemed actors in it who did a great job.

If you like action or superhero movies at all, you should see it.. if you hate Robert Downey Jr., don't b/c IMO he really carries the movie.

Denise4925
May 5th, 2008, 07:46 PM
One of the best films of 2008 so far..very easily. It wasn't just a superhero movie, it was great acting by Robert Downey Jr. (who is an underrated actor) and Jeff Bridges, and a good cast overrall.

$100+million and deservedly so. The Spiderman movies were great, but I enjoyed the lack of cheesy jokes in Iron Man and the fact that this movie had actual esteemed actors in it who did a great job.

If you like action or superhero movies at all, you should see it.. if you hate Robert Downey Jr., don't b/c IMO he really carries the movie.

Robert Downey is one of the major reasons I want to see it. I love his acting. He has great comedic timing and he's underrated in his dramatic skills too. When I saw it was him, I knew it was going to be a quality movie.

Well, just like Chris Reeves is the ONLY Superman and Michael Keaton is the ONLY Batman, I can see that Robert Downey will be the ONLY Ironman. :lol:

Others will come along behind them, but they will only be cheap imitations. ;)

darrinbaker00
May 5th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Robert Downey is one of the major reasons I want to see it. I love his acting. He has great comedic timing and he's underrated in his dramatic skills too. When I saw it was him, I knew it was going to be a quality movie.

Well, just like Chris Reeves is the ONLY Superman and Michael Keaton is the ONLY Batman, I can see that Robert Downey will be the ONLY Ironman. :lol:

Others will come along behind them, but they will only be cheap imitations. ;)
Then Warner Bros. said, "Let there be Christian Bale." Then there was Christian Bale, and it was good. ;)

Denise4925
May 5th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Then Warner Bros. cast Christian Bale, and saw that it was good..... ;)

Yeah, he's okay. Still an imitation. :p He's better than his predecesors.

darrinbaker00
May 5th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Batman is like the gov't. He just throws money at a problem.
In the comic book, Tony Stark BECAME the government. What a sellout!
Yes, Iron Man plays over the credits, which is one of two reasons to stay for them.
:rocker: :rocker2: :music:

All hail Tony Iommi, the greatest left-handed rock guitarist not named Jimi Hendrix. ;)

darrinbaker00
May 5th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Yeah, he's okay. Still an imitation. :p He's better than his predecesors.
Better than Kilmer, Clooney and Keaton, but not quite as good as Adam West. ;)

Olórin
May 5th, 2008, 08:12 PM

Adam West personnifies Batman :bowdown:

Denise4925
May 5th, 2008, 08:17 PM

No one is a better Batman than Keaton. Everyone, including Clooney (not by much) is better than Adam West. :)

I meant better than his predecessors after Keaton. :)

darrinbaker00
May 5th, 2008, 08:28 PM
No one is a better Batman than Keaton. Everyone, including Clooney (not by much) is better than Adam West. :)

I meant better than his predecessors after Keaton. :)
I didn't think anyone could be as good as Keaton, but Christian Bale proved me wrong. The real question is, will Heath Ledger be a better Joker than Jack Nicholson, or even Cesar Romero?

lee station
May 5th, 2008, 08:36 PM
ehm... who absolutely hates..... steve leialoha

Denise4925
May 5th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I didn't think anyone could be as good as Keaton, but Christian Bale proved me wrong. The real question is, will Heath Ledger be a better Joker than Jack Nicholson, or even Cesar Romero?

Christian could act the phone book and it would be good. :lol:

It will remain to be seen about Heath. I'm rooting for him, because I don't want his last performance on the big screen to be something cringeworthy. I don't know how he's going to step into those stellar actor's shoes successfully though. He'd have to reinvent the whole character to something new.

LOL, as big a movie star as Cesar Romero was in his heyday, I'm just SMH as to why he would be on such a campy, stupid children's show, but so were a lot of former big screen stars. :shrug:

RVD
May 6th, 2008, 07:31 AM

That being said, based on the reviews I've read here, I'll have to put "Iron Man" on my to-do list for this weekend. Question: did they use the Black Sabbath masterpiece of the same name in the movie, or was that just for the trailers?I concede that the plot and storyline of Batman Forever was GENIUS bar none. :worship:
However, the sheer comedy, intermingled with the shock and thrill of the Iron Man plot (story) is a close close close 2nd. :)

After you see the film, I honestly believe that you'll walk out smiling. :cool:

RVD
May 6th, 2008, 07:42 AM

If you like action or superhero movies at all, you should see it.. if you hate Robert Downey Jr., don't b/c IMO he really carries the movie.Definitely agree. And this coming from a guy who did not appreciate his dramatic acting skills until after viewing Two Girls and A Guy... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124179/ :worship:

Everyone (Terrence Howard, Jeff Bridges, Gwyneth Paltrow, Faran Tahir) had wonderful acting turns.
But you know a film is well written when you cheer for, and laugh because of, the metal actors. :lol:

RVD
May 6th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Adam West personnifies Batman :bowdown::worship: :worship:

To the point where as I listen to his voice-overs on Family Guy (as the Mayor), I still expect the occassional "BAM", "POW" "ZAP" to fly across the screen. :lol:

miffedmax
May 6th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Yes, but Adam West's Batman is nothing compared to Lee Meriwether or Eartha Kitt as Catwoman.

lee station
May 6th, 2008, 04:52 PM
i wonder if 2000ad is into this trend as well. wasn't there a movie about some brutal motorbike competition game in a futuristic setting

darrinbaker00
May 7th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Yes, but Adam West's Batman is nothing compared to Lee Meriwether or Eartha Kitt as Catwoman.
Lee Meriwether and Eartha Kitt played Catwoman. Julie Newmar WAS Catwoman. :hearts:

RVD
May 7th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Lee Meriwether and Eartha Kitt played Catwoman. Julie Newmar WAS Catwoman. :hearts:I'd take Julie's incredible body and attach Eartha's devastatingly sexy voice to create Catwoman perfection. :worship: :lol: :drool:

darrinbaker00
May 7th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I'd take Julie's incredible body and attach Eartha's devastatingly sexy voice to create Catwoman perfection. :worship: :lol: :drool:
Eartha should have sang to the Caped Crusader. "Batman baby, slip a sable under the tree, for me....." :hearts:

Also, Misses Kitt, Meriwether and Newmar should have the right to b****-slap (or, if you will, cat-slap) Halle Berry and Michelle Pfeiffer whenever the urge hits them. They brought dishonor to Catwoman, just like Val Kilmer and George Clooney disgraced the Mantle of the Bat.

miffedmax
May 7th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I cringe with embarrassment to realize I skipped Julie Newmar. She was indeed Catwoman. Catwoman is truly the queen of the baddies.

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 7th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Damn I love this movie (Iron Man).

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT:-
The best scene was when Tony in his Iron Man suit faced the tank - he got hit by the tank shell while flying, fell onto the ground hard, picked himself up, fired a mini-missile at the tank, turned around, and the tank goes BOOM! It was brilliant... no other words can describe it :yeah:

This could be the best superhero movie since Spiderman 2 (the 3rd one was terribly flawed). Then again, there's still "The Dark Knight" to come, and Heath Ledger's last ever performance as the Joker....

RVD
May 7th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Damn I love this movie (Iron Man).

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT:-
The best scene was when Tony in his Iron Man suit faced the tank - he got hit by the tank shell while flying, fell onto the ground hard, picked himself up, fired a mini-missile at the tank, turned around, and the tank goes BOOM! It was brilliant... no other words can describe it :yeah:That scene was brilliant! :worship:
Did you see how teeny-tiny that dart-rocket was? Even the penetration sound was tiny (BINK!)
Yet that tank was obliterated. :eek: :haha:
This could be the best superhero movie since Spiderman 2 (the 3rd one was terribly flawed). Then again, there's still "The Dark Knight" to come, and Heath Ledger's last ever performance as the Joker....That makes only two of us who loved this film on here. :lol: What gives? :shrug:

Aside:
I'm also a big time HULK fan, but nobody to date has been able to produce a believable 'transformation' sequence.
Plus, Ed Norton as the HULK?!?!? :scratch: WTH were they thinking?!
I hope I'm wrong and that he's believable.

Denise4925
May 7th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Eartha should have sang to the Caped Crusader. "Batman baby, slip a sable under the tree, for me....." :hearts:

Also, Misses Kitt, Meriwether and Newmar should have the right to b****-slap (or, if you will, cat-slap) Halle Berry and Michelle Pfeiffer whenever the urge hits them. They brought dishonor to Catwoman, just like Val Kilmer and George Clooney disgraced the Mantle of the Bat.

I loved Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman.

darrinbaker00
May 8th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I loved Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman.
Of course you did..... :cuckoo:

darrinbaker00
May 8th, 2008, 04:37 AM
That scene was brilliant! :worship:
Did you see how teeny-tiny that dart-rocket was? Even the penetration sound was tiny (BINK!)
Yet that tank was obliterated. :eek: :haha:
That makes only two of us who loved this film on here. :lol: What gives? :shrug:

Aside:
I'm also a big time HULK fan, but nobody to date has been able to produce a believable 'transformation' sequence.
Plus, Ed Norton as the HULK?!?!? :scratch: WTH were they thinking?!
I hope I'm wrong and that he's believable.
I just saw a trailer for The Incredible Hulk, and I was not impressed. I thought Eric Bana was a great choice for the lead last time, but the script was HORRIBLE, and Ang Lee wouldn't listen to people who told him to stick closely to the comics. As for the transformation sequences, perhaps they should have gone old-school and used a bodybuilder to play the Hulk.

Denise4925
May 8th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Of course you did..... :cuckoo:

What was wrong with her Catwoman. I thought she gave more dimension and depth to the character. Oh, that's right...you wouldn't understand that. ;)

darrinbaker00
May 8th, 2008, 05:58 AM
What was wrong with her Catwoman. I thought she gave more dimension and depth to the character. Oh, that's right...you wouldn't understand that. ;)
That's cool. You have your opinion, and I'm right. ;)

RVD
May 8th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I just saw a trailer for The Incredible Hulk, and I was not impressed. I thought Eric Bana was a great choice for the lead last time, but the script was HORRIBLE, and Ang Lee wouldn't listen to people who told him to stick closely to the comics. As for the transformation sequences, perhaps they should have gone old-school and used a bodybuilder to play the Hulk.Eric Bana did have the look and feel of Dr. Robert Bruce Banner. All the way down to the sad eyes and pathetic and naive nature. But then the transformation sequences kicked in and I just wanted to walk out of the theater. :rolleyes: Also where was the romantic chemistry between Banner and Betty Ross (Jennifer Connelly). A mixture of oil and water have better chemistry than these two.

Oh well, I'll probably still go see the new Hulk. :lol:
I'm such a nerd comic fanboy. :p

Oh, and Michelle Pfeiffer was SEXY as Catwoman. :devil:
It's not her fault that she had to wear that butt-ugly hideous catsuit.
http://images.wikia.com/openserving/entertainment/images/thumb/7/79/MichellePfeifferCatwoman.jpg/350px-MichellePfeifferCatwoman.jpg

miffedmax
May 8th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Bad as Hulk was, the fact is that no matter how many Star Wars movies he makes that hairless ape George Lucas can never escape the special pit in hell reserved for him for what he did to Howard the Duck.

miffedmax
May 8th, 2008, 07:58 PM
BTW, any other geeky fanboys into Heroclix?

I'm still waiting for a Howard the Duck Heroclix. That would be awesome.

RVD
May 8th, 2008, 09:53 PM
BTW, any other geeky fanboys into Heroclix?

I'm still waiting for a Howard the Duck Heroclix. That would be awesome.I didn't have that kind of disposable cash growing up. :sad:
We were a beans and rice family. :o
But I enjoyed dreaming about a collection or two.
Sorry.