PDA

View Full Version : Tyra Bank; Do Light Skinned Women Have it Easier?

mirzalover
May 2nd, 2008, 05:32 AM
Please tell someone saw this. This one "somewhat" liked skinned women just flat out said. "I think light skinned women are better than dark skin women." Tyra, and her audience looked like...I knew this B****h didnt just say that.

Overall I think this is a great show. They have men, and women all talking about this subject, getting all the perspectives.

OMG she just said I dont want my son bringing home no dark skinned girl cause I dont want him bringing home no dark skinned baby!

Dang she just said she doesnt care what her son brings home as long as it's not a dark skinned female.

No Name Face
May 2nd, 2008, 05:40 AM
I'm medium skinned (like a Beyonce or Shamar Moore) color and I have dated/preferred girls darker than me. Light skinned girls (like that Brianna chick from the real world) are usually weird looking to me. I've said it before, black is black is black is black. There is no hierarchy anymore. But, a lot of black people seem to hold on to the dark skin = bad thing, which is silly.

mirzalover
May 2nd, 2008, 05:43 AM
I'm medium skinned (like a Beyonce or Shamar Moore) color and I have dated/preferred girls darker than me. Light skinned girls (like that Brianna chick from the real world) are usually weird looking to me. I've said it before, black is black is black is black. There is no hierarchy anymore - there was only one during slavery. But, a lot of black people seem to hold on to the dark skin = bad thing, which is silly.

The woman who was talking shit is darker then Tyra. She is like Tigger's skin tone. Thats what is getting me. Seh is acting like she is half white or something.

No Name Face
May 2nd, 2008, 05:44 AM
The woman who was talking shit is darker then Tyra. She is like Tigger's skin tone. Thats what is getting me. Seh is acting like she is half white or something.

Who's tigger?

mirzalover
May 2nd, 2008, 05:46 AM
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/71311821.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABBFC7EDCABEDFAB58D A40A659CEC4C8CB6

:lol:

Cam'ron Giles
May 2nd, 2008, 05:47 AM
This is 2008...people need to get over that bullshit....That is old school. Most black folkes these days dont believe that bullshit. The best looking man in the history of mankind is very dark (i'm talking about Mr. Tyson Beckford)...:drool:

mirzalover
May 2nd, 2008, 05:49 AM
Damn Eugena is looking fine on this episode.

Cam'ron Giles
May 2nd, 2008, 05:50 AM
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/71311821.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABBFC7EDCABEDFAB58D A40A659CEC4C8CB6

Big Tigger...Did you read what Super head said about him in her book?

G1Player2
May 2nd, 2008, 05:50 AM
Damn Eugena is looking fine on this episode.

Whose that?

mirzalover
May 2nd, 2008, 05:51 AM
About him fucking Tyson?

Stamp Paid
I dont know if I would call it easier, but they are closer to the European standard of beauty the lighter they are. So that gives them an advantage in many places. Look at the most successful black females in entertainment: Beyonce, Alicia, Halle. I can't think of a chocolate girl who has done well since L-Boogie...except maybe India.Arie? And shes not that big.

G1Player2
Big Tigger...Did you read what Super head said about him in her book?

He was gay? Well, he confronted her on a radio show when he called in out of nowhere. She said his asshole was busted out and white. :eek:

mirzalover
May 2nd, 2008, 05:53 AM
Whose that?

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1112/image8uq2.jpg

Cam'ron Giles
May 2nd, 2008, 05:53 AM
About him fucking Tyson?

Yes...:(

Cam'ron Giles
May 2nd, 2008, 05:54 AM
He was gay? Well, he confronted her on a radio show when he called in out of nowhere. She said his asshole was busted out and white. :eek:

:haha:

mirzalover
May 2nd, 2008, 05:56 AM
I dont know if I would call it easier, but they are closer to the European standard of beauty the lighter they are. So that gives them an advantage in many places. Look at the most successful black females in entertainment: Beyonce, Alicia, Halle. I can't think of a chocolate girl who has done well since L-Boogie...except maybe India.Arie? And shes not that big.

And what really upsets me is i saw they make then look lighter. Look at some of these girls before they became big time. Its like as soon as they realized you could be teh next big thing, put some weave in her hair, and lighten her ass up.

Stamp Paid
May 2nd, 2008, 05:56 AM
He was gay? Well, he confronted her on a radio show when he called in out of nowhere. She said his asshole was busted out and white. :eek:Which she noticed before she had sucked his dick for 2 hours...

mirzalover
May 2nd, 2008, 05:57 AM
Yes...:(

Do get mad. That just means that me and you both have a shot at him.

Cam'ron Giles
May 2nd, 2008, 06:07 AM
Do get mad. That just means that me and you both have a shot at him.

At the same time? :eek: :drool:

mirzalover
May 2nd, 2008, 06:08 AM
At the same time? :eek: :drool:

abercrombieguy23
May 2nd, 2008, 06:34 AM
excuse my lack of gay linguistics...but what is a busted out asshole?

starin
May 2nd, 2008, 06:39 AM
doesn't the whole light skinned preference thing date back to slavery times? I seem to remember learning about it in history class. i feel bad for the lady she's just a little brainwashed into thinking darker is bad.

mirzalover
May 2nd, 2008, 06:45 AM
excuse my lack of gay linguistics...but what is a busted out asshole?

I'm not sure. I heard the tape on youtube and she said "Your ass was busted out, then split until the white meat showed" so I guess you need itches or something in your asshole. Doesnt sound to pleasing.

Stamp Paid
May 2nd, 2008, 06:46 AM
excuse my lack of gay linguistics...but what is a busted out asshole?Rosebud?

Wannabeknowitall
May 2nd, 2008, 08:39 AM
No. I don't feel that way.
I do feel that there is still a stigma against darker skinned by lighter skinned people.
For me, I was quite light skin when I was young.
Some people would consider me just in the middle of light skin or brown skin.
It was never a factor to me.
My aunt feels a certain way being light skin but that didn't stop her ass from marrying the darkest man I have ever laid my eyes on.
He was sexy but crazy.

Me, I'm sorry. I'm of the belief that the darker the berry the sweeter the juice.
Doesn't mean I won't holler at a redbone.

frontier
May 2nd, 2008, 12:59 PM
That showed the ignorence of some members of society,its so sad to see black people so stuck up on colour and fighting among themselves about who looks near white than the other...in other words most of them wish they were white.Thats what slavery did it destroyed the mind and self worth ,after all these years nothing has changed.

Cam'ron Giles
May 2nd, 2008, 04:43 PM
That showed the ignorence of some members of society,its so sad to see black people so stuck up on colour and fighting among themselves about who looks near white than the other...in other words most of them wish they were white.Thats what slavery did it destroyed the mind and self worth ,after all these years nothing has changed.

Thats a load of crap. Only a very small minority of idiots still buy into that crap.

kwilliams
May 2nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
Did she say what she meant by 'better' or did she mean it generally? Lookswise, mixed race people are hot and often quite perfect looking.

mirzalover
May 2nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
Did she say what she meant by 'better' or did she mean it generally? Lookswise, mixed race people are hot and often quite perfect looking.

She sadi lighter skinned women are better. I'm dont know how light she ment. Then she went on about how men liked her because she was lighter, had hair down to her back, and has nice features and when said features she ment she doesnt have big lips or a big nose, and the dark skinned girls always hated on her for it.

Cam'ron Giles
May 2nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
She sadi lighter skinned women are better. I'm dont know how light she ment. Then she went on about how men liked her because she was lighter, had hair down to her back, and has nice features and when said features she ment she doesnt have big lips or a big nose, and the dark skinned girls always hated on her for it.

She sounds like a TWAT!!!!

mirzalover
May 2nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
She sounds like a TWAT!!!!

What makes it really bad is she looked like the lead singer of Xscape except less attractive and with buzy cut. Her hair was maybe like a 1/2 a inches longer then my hair in the picture I sent you.

Destiny
May 2nd, 2008, 08:46 PM

Total believe in this comment and it is so true in many areas
Where i use to live the word beauty to me was always associated to white or lighter skinned people. Kids wished that they were white. It's like it has been imprinted into their brains that beauty is white by something like the media. And this logic makes them believe if they are real dark they are ugly and undesirable. You can even see this need to be lighter some how in adulthood , when women bleach them selves with comestic to get lighter skin.
Slavery has messed up minds and societies idea in many ares on what is beautiful.

frontier
May 3rd, 2008, 02:26 AM
Tyra herself is stuck up on colour,she wears these blonde wigs and coloured contacts that look ridiculous.I watch Top Model and she is always hating on the dark skinned girls ,she is really annoying and is always self serving,thats why she has no man who wants all that fakeness.:devil:

mirzalover
May 3rd, 2008, 02:29 AM
^ Tyra's natural eye color is green. If no man wanted fakeness, most men would be alone or gay cause most women have something fake. Eyes, hair, breast, etc.

Dawn Marie
May 3rd, 2008, 02:38 AM
I've met many men who only date light skinned women with so called good hair. The light is better is very much in play in our society. Look at the media.
I actually think beauty is beauty. The darker skin tone or lighter skin tone is only just that. skintone. Skin tone doesn't define the total beauty of a person. Some folks who are light look better than some dark skin folks and so forth. I always thought Moriss Chesnut was alot sexier than Shemar Moore.

woosey
May 3rd, 2008, 04:57 AM

true dat.

on top of that, light skin is preferred in lots of cultures/places - asians from india to china to japan and people in the middle east prefer light skin/whiter skin.

mykarma
May 3rd, 2008, 05:38 AM
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1112/image8uq2.jpg
Damn she's skinny

mykarma
May 3rd, 2008, 05:42 AM
doesn't the whole light skinned preference thing date back to slavery times? I seem to remember learning about it in history class. i feel bad for the lady she's just a little brainwashed into thinking darker is bad.
Yes it does. Generally the light skinned children when massa's or the foremans children so they were either in the house or at least treated better and because of the brain washing considered pretty. That's where the name "house ******" came from. Forgot to mention that they were also the snitches that told massa on the other slaves to stay in massa's good grace.

Wannabeknowitall
May 3rd, 2008, 05:48 AM
I've met many men who only date light skinned women with so called good hair. The light is better is very much in play in our society. Look at the media.
I actually think beauty is beauty. The darker skin tone or lighter skin tone is only just that. skintone. Skin tone doesn't define the total beauty of a person. Some folks who are light look better than some dark skin folks and so forth. I always thought Moriss Chesnut was alot sexier than Shemar Moore.

There's no thought process in comparing Morris Chestnut and Shemar Moore.
Morris Chestnut wins that by a marathon.

With those beautiful lips. Strong facial features. Nice pecs. Hot abs. Nice ass.
Sexy legs.

I was so jealous of that Anaconda in Anaconda 2.
Getting to swallow Morris Chestnut like that. That was my dream. :tape:
Sadly I would need some type of insect that paralyzes to get a shot at him as well.

mykarma
May 3rd, 2008, 05:48 AM
Total believe in this comment and it is so true in many areas
Where i use to live the word beauty to me was always associated to white or lighter skinned people. Kids wished that they were white. It's like it has been imprinted into their brains that beauty is white by something like the media. And this logic makes them believe if they are real dark they are ugly and undesirable. You can even see this need to be lighter some how in adulthood , when women bleach them selves with comestic to get lighter skin.
Slavery has messed up minds and societies idea in many ares on what is beautiful.
Where did you use to live cause I love me some dark skinned men, they are soooo sexy. My ex husband was a fine, fine, fine, darks kinned brother. That being said, I generally end up with light skinned brothers because that's who I seem to attract.

mirzalover
May 3rd, 2008, 05:52 AM
Where did you use to live cause I love me some dark skinned men, they are soooo sexy. My ex husband was a fine, fine, fine, darks kinned brother. That being said, I generally end up with light skinned brothers because that's who I seem to attract.

1. Are you light skinned.
2. I thought you were a guy.

mykarma
May 3rd, 2008, 05:55 AM
1. Are you light skinned.
2. I thought you were a guy.
No I'm not light skinned nor am I a guy. :lol:

Cam'ron Giles
May 3rd, 2008, 06:12 AM

DAMN!!!!!! I thought you were a guy too...HOW YOU DOIIIINNNGGGG!!!!!!!!

mykarma
May 3rd, 2008, 06:33 AM
DAMN!!!!!! I thought you were a guy too...HOW YOU DOIIIINNNGGGG!!!!!!!!
I'm doing fine and there's nothing masculine about me.

Cam'ron Giles
May 3rd, 2008, 07:10 AM
I'm doing fine and there's nothing masculine about me.

I was just kidding with you...:p

mykarma
May 3rd, 2008, 02:44 PM
I was just kidding with you...:p
bitch :lol:

Selah
May 3rd, 2008, 03:47 PM

I find it funny that if you don't identify your gender on this board, and you post with some modicum of intelligence (though yours in more than that;) ), people assume you are male. Very, very telling, still in 2008. Tyra's show is so dumb-down, I had a look at one or two of them whilst at the gym, and I lost a few brain cells really.

To the point of this thread- yes there are still black people caught up in a slave mentality/colonized-mind mentality. However, the only way a darker-hued woman will have it more difficult than a lighter-skinned woman is if she believes on any level of some kind of inferiority. Period. I think white people see you as black no matter what the tone of your skin, if you are light-skin and want to believe that they see you any other way, more power to ya. In terms of someone thinking you are more beautiful, that may be the case, but what has anyone else's opinion have to do with what you think of yourself?

No Name Face
May 3rd, 2008, 05:30 PM

You definitely seemed like a girl to me. A girl in her late 30's. :p

This whole discussion is interesting, for sure.

No Name Face
May 3rd, 2008, 05:32 PM
I think white people see you as black no matter what the tone of your skin, if you are light-skin and want to believe that they see you any other way, more power to ya. In terms of someone thinking you are more beautiful, that may be the case, but what has anyone else's opinion have to do with what you think of yourself?

A-fucking-men. In my high school (which was really, really white), you'd think I was the representative for all black people and I'm only part black. I don't think that to white people (or any other race) it matters what skin tone you are. Honestly, that's why I feel the light skinned/dark skinned debate resides mostly in the black community. And btw, am I the only one who thinks Halle and Beyonce aren't THAT light skinned?

Also, this issue isnt only prevalent with blacks. Some asians (from my experience - some Chinese people) are just as bad. I've actually had co-workers say to me "if you date an asian girl, make sure she has the good eyes." I still don't know wtf that means, but it's already well known that in Asian culture, the more "caucasian" you are, the better you are, which I find lame.

mirzalover
May 3rd, 2008, 05:51 PM
A-fucking-men. In my high school (which was really, really white), you'd think I was the representative for all black people and I'm only part black. I don't think that to white people (or any other race) it matters what skin tone you are. Honestly, that's why I feel the light skinned/dark skinned debate resides mostly in the black community. And btw, am I the only one who thinks Halle and Beyonce aren't THAT light skinned?

Also, this issue isnt only prevalent with blacks. Some asians (from my experience - some Chinese people) are just as bad. I've actually had co-workers say to me "if you date an asian girl, make sure she has the good eyes." I still don't know wtf that means, but it's already well known that in Asian culture, the more "caucasian" you are, the better you are, which I find lame.

I went to a pretty white school also, I'm not that dark, and I dont really agree with that all. I've had more than 1 white girl in high school tell me their fathers said I would be the only black boy they could date adn when I asked why it was skin, eye color, and hair. I've also noticed that some white people if they think you look good and your mixed your, not black, you mixed but if your not good looking to them then its ok your black. I've had white male friends ask are a lot of good looking famous black women mixed with something almost like thats the only way they could be good looking and the only reason they could find them attractive.

I dont think Beyonce or Halle are that light skinned either.

starin
May 3rd, 2008, 06:29 PM

yup. I know Filipino's sometimes bleach their skins and Koreans prefer to be really light skinned. Same for Japanese. Also there was a campaign done by the Chinese government to try and stop Chinese people from being obssesed w/ Caucasian beauty.

But i'm not sure how much this stems from the European/American media influence. Mostly cuz if you look at ancient Asian art and traditions (that pre date European influence I think) there already was an affinity toward light skin. Well at least they were painting their faces white. I think in Asia light skin and European features are like a fascination...having big eyes and light skin in a society of darker skinned and small eyed people makes you unique in a good way. iono either way i'm so tired of the whole A&F white girl/boy blond obsession. :barf:

starin
May 3rd, 2008, 06:31 PM

well like you said in Asian societies there is a preference at times for lighter skin, bigger eyes, and a more european like nose. But it's more of a physical attraction thing. while I think in black societies having lighter skin has much deeper roots than just being physically more attractive.

Cam'ron Giles
May 3rd, 2008, 06:53 PM
It's all bullshit to me. I love my people and I see beauty in every shade. I love the fact that we cover the entire color spectrum. OUT OF MANY, ONE PEOPLE.

Wannabeknowitall
May 3rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
I find it funny that if you don't identify your gender on this board, and you post with some modicum of intelligence (though yours in more than that;) ), people assume you are male. Very, very telling, still in 2008.

I don't think it's very telling.
I've been calling mykarma a bitch for a year now. :lol:

She might be quite aggressive but some of the things she says a man wouldn't type.

mykarma
May 3rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
You definitely seemed like a girl to me. A girl in her late 30's. :p

This whole discussion is interesting, for sure.
Thank you boo but you know you're not suppose to discuss women's age. :p

mykarma
May 3rd, 2008, 07:01 PM

I know a Japanese girl that tries to stay covered so she want get to dark. :help:She's from old school so I don't know if the same thing still applies there.

debopero
May 3rd, 2008, 07:05 PM
http://www.popmonk.com/models/alek-wek/alek-wek-picture-5b.jpg

She is the only sucessful dark skinned woman I can think of in fashion..:shrug:.

debopero
May 3rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
It is Alek Wek by the way :p.

mykarma
May 3rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
I went to a pretty white school also, I'm not that dark, and I dont really agree with that all. I've had more than 1 white girl in high school tell me their fathers said I would be the only black boy they could date adn when I asked why it was skin, eye color, and hair. I've also noticed that some white people if they think you look good and your mixed your, not black, you mixed but if your not good looking to them then its ok your black. I've had white male friends ask are a lot of good looking famous black women mixed with something almost like thats the only way they could be good looking and the only reason they could find them attractive.

All the time but I think Halle and Beyonce would be considered light skinned even though they have a brown tone. Back it the day they use to have something called a brown bag test. If you were darker than a brown bag then you wouldn't be accepted. :help: Thank goodness times have changed.

BTW, I thought you were a girl. :lol:

mykarma
May 3rd, 2008, 07:11 PM

She is the only sucessful dark skinned woman I can think of in fashion..:shrug:.
WOW she's stunning

mirzalover
May 3rd, 2008, 07:33 PM

Her skin is so beautiful. Its like flawless and so smooth.

harloo
May 3rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
To the point of this thread- yes there are still black people caught up in a slave mentality/colonized-mind mentality. However, the only way a darker-hued woman will have it more difficult than a lighter-skinned woman is if she believes on any level of some kind of inferiority. Period. I think white people see you as black no matter what the tone of your skin, if you are light-skin and want to believe that they see you any other way, more power to ya. In terms of someone thinking you are more beautiful, that may be the case, but what has anyone else's opinion have to do with what you think of yourself?
I believe white people in general have set the tone as to what is beautiful through magazines, television, film, and even modeling. The trend of what type of black person is "hot" changes quite frequently. At first it was light skinned blacks especially the interracial ones, then it became all about darker men, and next you saw an increase of darker female models. The unfortunate aspect is that African Americans in this country accept this categorization without so much as a second thought. When light-skinned was in it was embraced. I can't tell you how many times I've heard black folks brag about how mixed they were which contributed to their light skin. When dark skinned became the new trend you heard sista's saying, "I've got to have me a chocolate man". And till this day it's the same way in the black community in general.

I really think it's hard for some darker women to separate their resentment and accept lighter women. When you're bombarded with images of light skinned women and don't have a strong foundation of black women around, an inferiority complex can develop.

I've dated three dark sistas and two were resentful of light skinned women while the other focused on herself and was confident in her own beauty. She came from a good family who treated her no different than her lighter sisters. The other two had questionable mothers who were a fucking mess.:tape: I think it makes a difference how you are raised to believe in yourself otherwise you'll get caught up in the media's perception of darker women vs. light skinned women. Personally, I can't deal with black people with this problem in general because to me it's disturbing.

LeRoy.
May 3rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
whats with people calling women/men they have dated sistas/brothas. It makes it sound so incestous. :o :help:

Cam'ron Giles
May 3rd, 2008, 09:56 PM
whats with people calling women/men they have dated sistas/brothas. It makes it sound so incestous. :o :help:

It's a black thing...Dig it or leave it alone...:)

No Name Face
May 3rd, 2008, 10:40 PM

I didn't say pretty white, I said really white. I mean like 95-98% white. There, if you're not white, you're pretty much black. It doesn't matter. I won't argue this, but based on my experience, it doesn't matter what 'hue' you are. In fact, I thought I was considered dark skinned until I moved to a black neighborhood :lol: - because I literally knew no better. Growing up in a white neighborhood, no one told me how comparatively light skinned I was - I was just black. My dad told me that stuff, but I didn't really get it at the time. My first girlfriend was white and her dad said she would disown her if she ever dated a black person (which caused me to break up with her). What irked me was that everyone said I was too good for her. ((I'm told) I'm good looking, I graduated 2nd in my class at my "all" white school, on the track team, etc...) So to me, it doesn't matter what shade of black you are...I still kind of felt inferior about it. And to be honest, I've never dated a white girl since then (I've hooked up, though ;) ). That's not to say I wouldn't (I mean, my mom is white), but I don't want to deal with that drama. I know my worth and I don't want anyone thinking I'm worth any less because of my skin color.

As I said, as of now I personally like dark skinned girls a lot more than light skinned (and white girls). My preferences always change, but I don't remember a time when I didn't like dark skinned girls (meaning skin darker than mine). I just tell my sisters (who are younger and lighter than I am) that it's not like you're not black - they're going to see you as such, so just be proud of who you are.

It's a black thing...Dig it or leave it alone...:)

I don't call anyone my brother or sister, unless it's my sisters (don't have a brother). Actually my dad doesn't either. But I don't mind being called one, because it's actually endearing.

For the record, black people do that mostly as a sign of solidarity. In a way all black people are related by a common struggle. That's my interpretation of it anyway. Maybe someone blacker than me can confirm :lol:

mykarma
May 3rd, 2008, 11:02 PM
What's up with you thinking people should live up to your standards? :shrug:

mykarma
May 3rd, 2008, 11:11 PM
I didn't say pretty white, I said really white. I mean like 95-98% white. There, if you're not white, you're pretty much black. It doesn't matter. I won't argue this, but based on my experience, it doesn't matter what 'hue' you are. In fact, I thought I was considered dark skinned until I moved to a black neighborhood :lol: - because I literally knew no better. Growing up in a white neighborhood, no one told me how comparatively light skinned I was - I was just black. My dad told me that stuff, but I didn't really get it at the time. My first girlfriend was white and her dad said she would disown her if she ever dated a black person (which caused me to break up with her). What irked me was that everyone said I was too good for her. ((I'm told) I'm good looking, I graduated 2nd in my class at my "all" white school, on the track team, etc...) So to me, it doesn't matter what shade of black you are...I still kind of felt inferior about it. And to be honest, I've never dated a white girl since then (I've hooked up, though ;) ). That's not to say I wouldn't (I mean, my mom is white), but I don't want to deal with that drama. I know my worth and I don't want anyone thinking I'm worth any less because of my skin color.

As I said, as of now I personally like dark skinned girls a lot more than light skinned (and white girls). My preferences always change, but I don't remember a time when I didn't like dark skinned girls (meaning skin darker than mine). I just tell my sisters (who are younger and lighter than I am) that it's not like you're not black - they're going to see you as such, so just be proud of who you are.

I don't call anyone my brother or sister, unless it's my sisters (don't have a brother). Actually my dad doesn't either. But I don't mind being called one, because it's actually endearing.

For the record, black people do that mostly as a sign of solidarity. In a way all black people are related by a common struggle. That's my interpretation of it anyway. Maybe someone blacker than me can confirm :lol:
It's absolutely cultural and "Just me" knows it. While in nursing school I became good friends with a lot of Africans and they call each other "my brother or my sister" no matter what country they're from.

harloo
May 3rd, 2008, 11:53 PM
It's absolutely cultural and "Just me" knows it. While in nursing school I became good friends with a lot of Africans and they call each other "my brother or my sister" no matter what country they're from.

:lol: Thank you.

I noticed that my brother in laws father used, "my brother" quite often when he came down here and he's African. ;)

woosey
May 4th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I find it funny that if you don't identify your gender on this board, and you post with some modicum of intelligence (though yours in more than that;) ), people assume you are male. Very, very telling, still in 2008. Tyra's show is so dumb-down, I had a look at one or two of them whilst at the gym, and I lost a few brain cells really.

to this day i have to convince folk that i am in fact a female. also, you are presumed a male if you express strong opinions and don't back down. girls are supposed to cowtow and be agreeable. ;)

[QUOTE]To the point of this thread- yes there are still black people caught up in a slave mentality/colonized-mind mentality.

true.

However, the only way a darker-hued woman will have it more difficult than a lighter-skinned woman is if she believes on any level of some kind of inferiority. Period.

I think white people see you as black no matter what the tone of your skin, if you are light-skin and want to believe that they see you any other way, more power to ya.

these statements really fly in the face of history. just take entertainment - hollywood - starting from the beginning to the present. i use it because it's something anyone can see. look at the black women who have been most accepted as representative of black women and black beauty - dorothy dandridge, lena horne, etc. and right on up to halle berry. even black people prefer light skin.

even though dorothy dandridge and lena horne had struggles because they were not white, there was no doubt that they were more acceptable to white people because they were lighter. do you really believe there weren't any dark women who could have played the roles dandridge and horne did? the reality is that white people can tell the difference and that's why people like beyonce and rihanna get over much easier among whites than a darker woman. i've heard of white men saying beyonce is the ideal looking black woman. what does that say when someone who is very light becomes emblematic for black femaleness?

rather than insist they cannot tell the difference, i prefer to see it as the lesser of two evils, for lack of a better way of saying it. beyonce's beauty if just exotic enough. while a chocolate girl with natural hair may be just too much - or perhaps too much to take in public.

In terms of someone thinking you are more beautiful, that may be the case, but what has anyone else's opinion have to do with what you think of yourself?

you know, i'm a dark skinned black female and i once had a relative say (i'll paraphrase) the following to me:

"you see you, because you're dark and you wear your hair natural, that limits the quality of men you can have even though you are pretty. because you're smart and have a degree from a prestigious college you might be able to get a black man on the level of let's say a judge." she goes on to say, "but my daughter, because she's pretty and light, she can get with any man - a white man, a middle eastern man, a latino and a black man with lots of money."

this was said to me a couple of years ago. whether or not you agree with this, implicit in this statement is the idea that status is linked to color/complexion. are you saying that this fundamental reality does not exist? that being a dark-skinned black woman is no different from being a lighter skinned black woman in her treatment?

when i look at the most successful black men, if they are not with a nonblack woman, they are very often with a mixed black/light-skinned black woman.

when you turn on the tv, how often do you see dark skinned black women presenting the news or being portrayed as beauty. compared with lighter skinned ones, you see very few.

it seems to me that color does/can impact one's access and status. i am not saying that this is all a fait accompli. i'm saying it's reality that not only exists among black americans but places all over the world where there are gradations of skin tone among people.

your flag is from ethiopia. i hope you would not try to insist certain attitudes do not exist among ethiopians particularly vis a vis the west african phenotype.

also, perhaps you should check out this video:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=17fEy0q6yqc

i don't consider the girls in this video dumb or lacking in self-esteem. they are quite thoughtful.

JackWalker
May 4th, 2008, 12:56 AM
can someone please post a video or a link? thanks!

woosey
May 4th, 2008, 01:04 AM
yup. I know Filipino's sometimes bleach their skins and Koreans prefer to be really light skinned. Same for Japanese. Also there was a campaign done by the Chinese government to try and stop Chinese people from being obssesed w/ Caucasian beauty.

But i'm not sure how much this stems from the European/American media influence. Mostly cuz if you look at ancient Asian art and traditions (that pre date European influence I think) there already was an affinity toward light skin. Well at least they were painting their faces white. I think in Asia light skin and European features are like a fascination...having big eyes and light skin in a society of darker skinned and small eyed people makes you unique in a good way. iono either way i'm so tired of the whole A&F white girl/boy blond obsession. :barf:

i think it just intensifies the feeling.

i would imagine that if your culture placed a premium/status on being light and a people come along who actually inhabit that place - possess money, power, control, etc. and in fact are fair - i could see it comfirming old beliefs, in a weird, psychotic, twisted way.

mirzalover
May 4th, 2008, 01:10 AM
to this day i have to convince folk that i am in fact a female. also, you are presumed a male if you express strong opinions and don't back down. girls are supposed to cowtow and be agreeable. ;)

[QUOTE]

true.

these statements really fly in the face of history. just take entertainment - hollywood - starting from the beginning to the present. i use it because it's something anyone can see. look at the black women who have been most accepted as representative of black women and black beauty - dorothy dandridge, lena horne, etc. and right on up to halle berry. even black people prefer light skin.

even though dorothy dandridge and lena horne had struggles because they were not white, there was no doubt that they were more acceptable to white people because they were lighter. do you really believe there weren't any dark women who could have played the roles dandridge and horne did? the reality is that white people can tell the difference and that's why people like beyonce and rihanna get over much easier among whites than a darker woman. i've heard of white men saying beyonce is the ideal looking black woman. what does that say when someone who is very light becomes emblematic for black femaleness?

rather than insist they cannot tell the difference, i prefer to see it as the lesser of two evils, for lack of a better way of saying it. beyonce's beauty if just exotic enough. while a chocolate girl with natural hair may be just too much - or perhaps too much to take in public.

you know, i'm a dark skinned black female and i once had a relative say (i'll paraphrase) the following to me:

"you see you, because you're dark and you wear your hair natural, that limits the quality of men you can have even though you are pretty. because you're smart and have a degree from a prestigious college you might be able to get a black man on the level of let's say a judge." she goes on to say, "but my daughter, because she's pretty and light, she can get with any man - a white man, a middle eastern man, a latino and a black man with lots of money."

this was said to me a couple of years ago. whether or not you agree with this, implicit in this statement is the idea that status is linked to color/complexion. are you saying that this fundamental reality does not exist? that being a dark-skinned black woman is no different from being a lighter skinned black woman in her treatment?

when i look at the most successful black men, if they are not with a nonblack woman, they are very often with a mixed black/light-skinned black woman.

when you turn on the tv, how often do you see dark skinned black women presenting the news or being portrayed as beauty. compared with lighter skinned ones, you see very few.

it seems to me that color does/can impact one's access and status. i am not saying that this is all a fait accompli. i'm saying it's reality that not only exists among black americans but places all over the world where there are gradations of skin tone among people.

your flag is from ethiopia. i hope you would not try to insist certain attitudes do not exist among ethiopians particularly vis a vis the west african phenotype.

i don't consider the girls in this video dumb or lacking in self-esteem. they are quite thoughtful.

I know we dont get along and I really hope this doesnt piss you off but, I actually always that you were a woman.

I also agree with everything you said.:unsure:

mykarma
May 4th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Every time I see that video it breaks my heart. I remember as a little girl when I would visit my grandmother some of her friends would tell me I was a pretty dark skinned girl but they were old ladies and didn't know any better. If they weren't saying that they were commenting on my hair as though having long hair on a dark skinned child was something special. :fiery: That might be the reason that I've always preferred short hair.

I must say that color is more of an issue in the south than up north. When I was there I never noticed the difference but do think that a lot of southern men prefer light skinned women. In the south the majority of professional men (like principals, directors, coaches, athletics) in the south, have light skinned wives. Up north I don't think the men have the same hangup about color.

mykarma
May 4th, 2008, 03:06 AM
[quote=woosey;13069783]to this day i have to convince folk that i am in fact a female. also, you are presumed a male if you express strong opinions and don't back down. girls are supposed to cowtow and be agreeable. ;)

I know we dont get along and I really hope this doesnt piss you off but, I actually always that you were a woman.

I also agree with everything you said.:unsure:
mirza, you've had peoples gender all mixed up haven't you? :lol:

Cam'ron Giles
May 4th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Dirty laundry folks...Not in mixed company...You know it's much easier to judge than to try and understand.

mykarma
May 4th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Dirty laundry folks...Not in mixed company...You know it's much easier to judge than to try and understand.
Yeah you're right.

Dawn Marie
May 4th, 2008, 04:24 AM

[quote]

true.

Your post is spot on. I have to agree on everything that you wrote.

I've been a witness to the bias that people put on women who are light completed than those who have darker skin. I just got into a heated debate a few months back when a brown skinned brotha told me he only dates light skinned women. I tore his ass up. What is ironic is that his mom was a dark skinned women. The mentality behind it is sickening. This is something that really irks me. I am also tired of people acting like coarse hair is not "GOOD" hair.

Society is still behind the times when it comes to issues of race and color and skin tones. Many black people continue to allow themselves to conform to what society says is right. we need CHANGE.

WF4EVER
May 4th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Selah, you are so right. Many people of African heritage, mixed or otherwise, delude themselves into thinking they are better than other black people because they may have a lighter skin tone but the bottom line is, white people see them/us all as black. It is true than some lighter skinned (or butter skin) blacks think they are better than their darker compatriots. Furthermore, as stated by others, this happens in every society, every race. The darker skinned people are always considered inferior to the others.

Cam, to quote HRC "you are out of touch". Maybe you may not have observed this, but this slavery mentally still affects the black race. Look at Jamaicans, for example, the way they bleach their skins out until you can hardly recognize who they used to me, and this is both for the men and women. It happens everywhere but I swear the first time I saw a man with bleached skin he was from JA. I couldn't believe that men indulged in that shit.

It happens and it is very much a result of slavery. One would think that in this day and age people would be more intelligent but there are many who still buy into that mentality.

Dawn Marie
May 4th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I agree. Some light skinned people feel that they are better than darker skinned people. I also noticed that many men who are dark or light skinned will turn there nose away from a darker skinned chic and gravitate toward the lighter girl. They just feed into the false ego that the light skinned person already has.

Imho this is why India Irie hasn't won a grammy.

Selah
May 4th, 2008, 02:20 PM

[QUOTE]

true.

I was being kind of lazy when I made my original post. I agree with all that you said, the European standard of beauty remains the world throughout, and the closer to those features and lighter, yes you are seen as more beautiful. However, the title of the thread asked do light-skin women have it easier in society and my point is that a darker skin woman will only have it harder if she buys into any type of inferiority complex period; whether it comes from dominant society and/or perpetuated in the home. Even though they have been numerous studies that show that people who are deemed more attractive get better opportunities or more advantages in life, it still remains that poor/negative self-concept is more apt to attribute to you doing poorly in areas of your life. If you walk through the door at interview with low self-esteem/self-confidence, believe me that will hinder you more that a white interviewer thinking you are dark skin. Same goes for relationships, if you walk around thinking that light-skin is in, and people don't want you because you are dark, same thing will happen. There are plenty of black people that do not adhere to this foolishness, and plenty of people who may prefer a darker skin tone. I am not denying that you see more lighter-skin women represented in the media, and more famous black men with lighter skin women, but when you walk down average black neighborhood in USA, you see all kinds of people with varying skin toned coupled, so to see that life is harder because you are darker skin is kind of a fallacy, and only true if you believe so.

My understanding also was that the original post was about black women in America. Now if you get global, yes, life is easier for women with lighter skin, say India for example.

Andrew Laeddis
May 4th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Some black people really need to stop buying in to this light skin is better than dark skin bs. Has the movie school daze taught us nothing?