IceSkaTennisFan
May 2nd, 2008, 01:48 AM
http://advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid53742.asp

Brett.
May 2nd, 2008, 01:54 AM
Lol, i don't even believe that.

njnetswill
May 2nd, 2008, 01:55 AM
That means there should be 11 other ones in my high school senior class. Come out, come out wherever you are...

mirzalover
May 2nd, 2008, 02:02 AM
I think it should be higher.

In The Zone
May 2nd, 2008, 02:06 AM
Definitely not true. :lol:

kris719
May 2nd, 2008, 02:17 AM
that's a load of crap, how about around 10%??

Wannabeknowitall
May 2nd, 2008, 02:26 AM
Well I've already done 110% of that 2.9%, so something's not right with this poll. :tape:

In The Zone
May 2nd, 2008, 02:28 AM
Well I've already done 110% of that 2.9%, so something's not right with this poll. :tape:

Lol, exactly.

Should be: Only 2.9 admitted while 97.1 have dildos under their beds.

Mateo Mathieu
May 2nd, 2008, 02:35 AM
Have they survey you guys? No, there's your answer! :lol:

égalité
May 2nd, 2008, 04:34 AM
Hunter College released the results of a groundbreaking poll Wednesday that found only 2.9% of Americans older than 18 identify as LGB...

Well great. That could mean any number of things. I bet the number of closeted homosexuals in the world is at least double the amount of out ones.

abercrombieguy23
May 2nd, 2008, 04:56 AM
are you kidding me??

i read an article 2 months ago that put the number around 10-11%

~{X}~
May 2nd, 2008, 04:59 AM
Hunter College! :eek::eek:

I go there! :lol::lol:

I have to get to the bottom of this! :o

kittyking
May 2nd, 2008, 05:00 AM
I do agree in what they said about a higher percentage of LGB voting than Straight people. That's true in pretty much all democracys worldwide.

mirzalover
May 2nd, 2008, 05:01 AM

I have to get to the bottom of this! :o

What are the chances of that.:lol:

2.9 my ass...

~{X}~
May 2nd, 2008, 05:02 AM
What are the chances of that.:lol:

2.9 my ass...

:lol:

I know! I was shocked. I'll have to go hunt down the bitch who helped with the poll and knock some sense into them! :devil:

Stamp Paid
May 2nd, 2008, 05:47 AM

I have to get to the bottom of this! :oDead.

Jakeev
May 2nd, 2008, 08:27 AM
If every American over 18 was forced to tell someone what their true sexuality was, I think we would be absolutely shocked at the truth. In fact, I bet America wouldn't even be able to handle it.

The poll proved nothing.........

homogenius
May 2nd, 2008, 10:54 AM

lol

Nemo_Kool
May 2nd, 2008, 01:58 PM
and ther all on WTAWORLD...BS POLL..

azdaja
May 2nd, 2008, 04:14 PM
why so much disbelief? most surveys have similar results. i remember reading it in an article that was gay-friendly a few years ago. the 10+% figures appear only if you take into account people who have had some same sex experience at some point in their life, but are otherwise heterosexual. this can happen when they are away from the persons of their prefered sex for longer periods of time, for example.

the same article also argued that most people are not 100% heterosexual or homosexual and that most are somewhere in between.

Just Do It
May 2nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
why so much disbelief? most surveys have similar results. i remember reading it in an article that was gay-friendly a few years ago. the 10+% figures appear only if you take into account people who have had some same sex experience at some point in their life, but are otherwise heterosexual. this can happen when they are away from the persons of their prefered sex for longer periods of time, for example.

the same article also argued that most people are not 100% heterosexual or homosexual and that most are somewhere in between.

No, they cant be heterosexual then, they are bisexual. Heterosexual man would never have a sex with a male person.

Sir Stefwhit
May 2nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
I think it might also have a little to do with how people self-identify. I've been with guys who honestly don't see themselves as either gay or bi-sexual. Some guys can have relationships with other men but still self-identify themselves as straight. I know it sounds crazy, but I've met more than a few in my day.

azdaja
May 2nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
No, they cant be heterosexual then, they are bisexual. Heterosexual man would never have a sex with a male person.
that's not true. it can happen when men have to spend a lot of time with other men with no women around to take just one example. to some sex with another guy is preferable to masturbation, but when there are women available they are their choice. some do it out of curiosity (i know in person at least 2 girls who did it). there are also reports about some rituals in some cultures that involve homosexual acts (don't know much about them though). and gays also can have sex with the opposite sex. sexuality is a complex thing and not all people who have experienced homosexual sex (but normally prefer the opposite sex) would describe themselves as bisexual and imo there is no problem with that.

i was just explaining why there are differences in poll results. at the end of the day how you feel about your sexuality is what matters and as long as you are not forced to hide because of other people's prejudice it's all fine.

Kart
May 2nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Interesting read.

Complete rubbish but interesting nonetheless.

samsung101
May 2nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
3.5 margin of error.
It probably is correct if you add in a percent here or there.
It's also in this survery, based on voter turnout.

Why is this hard to believe 3.0%, give or take 1 to 3 percent.

You're talking closer to 5.0% at times.

That sounds about right.

Now, what is the percentage of gays, lesbians, and bis on tv, film,
and in books? Like 50%+.

The same demographic controls a huge portion of the American media,
from Desperate Housewives creative team, Brothers and Sisters,
American Beauty team, half the Hollywood producers and writers,
etc. So, there is never going to be a shortage of representation.

If the media was reflective of the real America, it would be half
brown/latino. It isn't.

samsung101
May 2nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
Now,if you go some place like San Francisco or LA or Laguna Beach or Austin or NYC or Miami or
any larger city, or college town, you'll find it higher I think. Just because people tend to
gravitate to where they feel more comfortable or open sometimes. Same is true of artsy people
in general. If you're into performance art, you will probably be happier in say Santa Monica
or Austin, then say, Yorba Linda, CA or Cedar City, Utah.

But, that is probably a figure that is about right.
It didn't seem to say, did you ever experiment with this or that, or try this or that, it
asked, are you this or that. Do you consider yourself straight, gay, bi?

njnetswill
May 2nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
and in books? Like 50%+.

Even the gay characters are usually played by straight actors, and there is no way that over 50% of the media depicts gays and lesbians. I don't know what type of parallel world you have been living in.

samsung101
May 2nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
I watch tv on Sunday night on ABC.

Watch ABC 9 to 11, Sundays.

West Wing went off the air, we got ABC on Sunday now.

Kart
May 2nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
and in books? Like 50%+.
You should stop watching all that adult TV.

mirzalover
May 2nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
that's not true. it can happen when men have to spend a lot of time with other men with no women around to take just one example. to some sex with another guy is preferable to masturbation, but when there are women available they are their choice. some do it out of curiosity (i know in person at least 2 girls who did it). there are also reports about some rituals in some cultures that involve homosexual acts (don't know much about them though). and gays also can have sex with the opposite sex. sexuality is a complex thing and not all people who have experienced homosexual sex (but normally prefer the opposite sex) would describe themselves as bisexual and imo there is no problem with that.

i was just explaining why there are differences in poll results. at the end of the day how you feel about your sexuality is what matters and as long as you are not forced to hide because of other people's prejudice it's all fine.

If you are curious about having sex with someone of the same sex, you are Bi. That rituals claim is stupid because who in America is going around praying to a gods or whatever and needs to have gay sex to do it? If you want to have sex with women only but you never have and you married a man, you are a lesbian. If you are a man and you have sex with women and men you are Bi. People can try to hide, or deny all they want.

azdaja
May 2nd, 2008, 07:11 PM
If you are curious about having sex with someone of the same sex, you are Bi. That rituals claim is stupid because who in America is going around praying to a gods or whatever and needs to have gay sex to do it? If you want to have sex with women only but you never have and you married a man, you are a lesbian. If you are a man and you have sex with women and men you are Bi. People can try to hide, or deny all they want.
the ritual thing was my reply to the claim that heterosexual people can't have sex with the people of the same sex and is completely irrelevant because it was just one example. and these girls are not trying to hide, they talked about it openly. i think that most people have a wrong approach to the question. some research suggests that most people can feel atracted to both sexes, but some people more, some people less. so, it boils down to what you identify with in the end as someone already mentioned. i also don't see why numbers are relevant. i don't think it matters if a minority is 3% or 10% or 0.5%, they are entitled to the same rights as anyone else anyway and as long as that is given let people identify with what they want. again, i was just trying to explain where the difference in numbers comes from.