PDA

View Full Version : Madonnas "Hard Candy" becomes her 7th #1 (#2 female all time) & sells over 280K!

CrossCourt~Rally
May 1st, 2008, 02:25 PM
Madonna is on track to net her seventh No. 1 album on next week's Billboard 200 with "Hard Candy," based on first-day sales measured by the Nielsen SoundScan Building Chart released Wednesday afternoon (April 30).

Unweighted sales for the Warner Bros. album from the Building Chart's panel of reporters through the close of business Tuesday, April 29, stood at 100,000.

Among all female artists, only Barbra Streisand has earned more No. 1s -- with eight. Currently, Madonna, Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson are all tied for the second most, with six apiece.

Late last year, Chris Brown's "Exclusive" posted a first day number of
107,000 and finished the week with 294,000. However, sources close to the Madonna project indicate that with much of "Hard Candy's" first-day figure driven by iTunes sales, its full sales week could end up closer to the range of 225,000-250,000.

Madonna's last studio effort, 2005's "Confessions on a Dance Floor," started at No. 1 with 350,000.

Billboard estimates the merchants who report to Nielsen SoundScan's Building Chart -- Trans World Entertainment, Best Buy, Circuit City, iTunes, Starbucks,Borders, Target, Anderson Merchandisers, and Handleman Co. -- comprise about 80% of all U.S. Album sales.

Leading the charge for "Hard Candy" is first single "4 Minutes," featuring Justin Timberlake, which peaked at No. 3 on The Billboard Hot 100 and spent two weeks at No. 1 on Hot Digital Songs. The download has sold 1 million copies to date, according to Nielsen SoundScan, including 185,000 for the week that ended April 27.

Madonna first rang the Billboard 200's bell when "Like a Virgin" reached No. 1 in late 1984. Since then, she's claimed No. 1s with "True Blue" (1986), "Like a Prayer" (1989), "Music" (2000), "American Life" (2003) and "Confessions."

She also owns a whopping five sets that peaked at No. 2 -- "I'm Breathless" (1990), "The Immaculate Collection" (1990), "Erotica" (1992), the soundtrack to "Evita" (1996) and "Ray of Light" (1998).

ElusiveChanteuse
May 1st, 2008, 02:40 PM
Pretty impressive.She will have 7 #1 albums then.:eek:

I like her songs.:)

MLF
May 1st, 2008, 03:53 PM
What were Mariah and Janet's first week sales for their latest albums? They both made #1 in the US as well didn't they?

John.
May 1st, 2008, 04:09 PM
Impressive - Lovin the album - It deserves Number 1

LeRoy.
May 1st, 2008, 06:36 PM
Madonna - 250,000
Mariah - 475,000

Guess Mariah crushed Madonna in the first week sales in the US and that is after heavy radio promotion for Madge's "4 mins to ruin the world"

abercrombieguy23
May 1st, 2008, 06:37 PM
Madonna - 250,000
Mariah - 475,000

Guess Mariah crushed Madonna in the first week sales in the US and that is after heavy radio promotion for Madge's "4 mins to ruin the world"

heavy promotion?....

Madonna did 3 magazines...and almost no Tv interviews....

She got lazy and thus she got what she deserved ...lower numbers

Just Do It
May 1st, 2008, 06:37 PM
It is a solid album, and it does not deserve to be @ #1.

But taht's Madonna.

Bruno71
May 1st, 2008, 07:34 PM
Too bad, this album is really really really bland. I liked Confessions a lot better.

samsung101
May 1st, 2008, 08:06 PM
It's bland.

Why would anyone buy this?

She looks old. She is old for trying to look
'hot', and grind a 20-something white guy who
is trying to act like a tough hip hop black guy,
and yet, maintain, peach fuzz on his face.

Insert any JT song with the same back beat, and
it's the same song. Over & over.

Is she faking the British accent too?

Maybe that's what did me in with her, long ago, the
fake British accent.

~{X}~
May 1st, 2008, 10:25 PM
Madonna - 250,000
Mariah - 475,000

Yeah but that was expected in the US, Mariah will always sell more here. Around the world, not so much. Madonna rules around the world, Mariah...not so much.

And its true, Madonna lacked television interviews and any interviews she did, she stopped them from asking about her album and instead focused on her documentary she directed.

So it was expected, but overall I'm sure she's happy with the sales she's going to get everywhere. 4 Minutes was like Number 1 in 18 countries I believe so far. I expect Hard Candy to be number 1 in many countries.

CrossCourt~Rally
May 1st, 2008, 11:16 PM
Madonna - 250,000
Mariah - 475,000

The age difference can't be ignored. Mariah just turned 39 and Mo will be 50 in a few months. I think this is an amazing showing for a dance oriented nearly 50 year old woman who can still land #1 cds and top 5 singles on the youth obsessed and r and b/hip hop driven dominated pop charts.

:bigclap::clap2::bigclap::clap2::bigclap:

~Cherry*Blossom~
May 1st, 2008, 11:24 PM
Yeah but that was expected in the US, Mariah will always sell more here. Around the world, not so much. Madonna rules around the world, Mariah...not so much.

And its true, Madonna lacked television interviews and any interviews she did, she stopped them from asking about her album and instead focused on her documentary she directed.

So it was expected, but overall I'm sure she's happy with the sales she's going to get everywhere. 4 Minutes was like Number 1 in 18 countries I believe so far. I expect Hard Candy to be number 1 in many countries.

But Mariah sold more copies of TEOM than Madonna did with Confessions in terms of worldwide sales.

cometz9
May 1st, 2008, 11:40 PM
But Mariah sold more copies of TEOM than Madonna did with Confessions in terms of worldwide sales.

Yes but TEOM sold almost 6 million copies alone in the US while COADF sold relatively more outside the US.

abercrombieguy23
May 1st, 2008, 11:42 PM
She looks old. She is old for trying to look
'hot', and grind a 20-something white guy who
is trying to act like a tough hip hop black guy,
and yet, maintain, peach fuzz on his face.

Old? I think she looks great.....

and she's not trying to look hot...shes trying to look her best physically and I'm sure many find her hot in the process

let me spell out the undertones in your message for you : agism

Olórin
May 2nd, 2008, 12:49 AM
She looks old.

Because she is old probably. However, she looks good for her age. Cher can get away with this kind of thing, so can Madonna. ;)

Harju.
May 2nd, 2008, 02:37 AM
I'm shocked with the sales number. Even Blackout with no promotion managed to hit 300K.

Apoleb
May 2nd, 2008, 02:44 AM
Who thinks Samsung really listened to the album to think it's bland?

~{X}~
May 2nd, 2008, 02:45 AM

Yeah but it was rare, usually she doesn't. And then you gotta take into account how many times Mariah repackaged TEOM, she had a regular album, then a deluxe album and then like an ultra deluxe album. How many times did fans buy the album, 2-3 times because of that?

But TEOM was a great album, so was Confessions, I have both, just like I have both of the new albums as well.

~{X}~
May 2nd, 2008, 02:47 AM
And in reference to Blackout, it was a good album, yeah Britney was whatever with it, but it was good. I definitely think its her best album yet.

A lot of people probably bought it just to see how well it was, and then again a lot of times the record labels themselves buy a lot of the albums just to "generate" album sales.

CrossCourt~Rally
May 2nd, 2008, 03:05 AM
I'm shocked with the sales number. Even Blackout with no promotion managed to hit 300K.

:lol: Britney was in the news EVERYDAY. Thats sometimes better ( especialy with a performer in her age bracket ) than talkshow appearences / performances :angel:.
You can partially thank the Paparazzi for the success of "BLACKOUT".

mirzalover
May 2nd, 2008, 03:47 AM
I still think she should have sold more. I mean this is Madonna. Plus radio is playing the hell out of her new song, way more then what they played "Hung Up" even though its a better song. I think she knows in the long run her album isnt going to end up just selling 500,000 in america, and that internationally it will sell big, so why kill herself with promo.

CrossCourt~Rally
May 3rd, 2008, 03:51 AM
Its official. MADONNA has landed her 7th # 1 album ( she also has 5 # 2s ) on the US Pop Charts. So glad to see her having the longevity that she deserves. :bounce:
This puts her at #2 for topping the charts on the Billboard album/cd charts. Babs is #1.:cool:

aznunit2k5
May 3rd, 2008, 03:54 AM
Don't like her album. Very bland and boring.

Mariah just destroyed Madonna. Madonna is only on her 7th #1 single while Mariah has 18. Mariah outsold Madonna in the first week sales. Thats what Madonna gets for not following the success she got from one of her best modern songs: Hung Up.

mirzalover
May 3rd, 2008, 03:58 AM

Mariah just destroyed Madonna. Madonna is only on her 7th #1 single while Mariah has 18. Mariah outsold Madonna in the first week sales. Thats what Madonna gets for not following the success she got from one of her best modern songs: Hung Up.

Madonna has 12 #1 singles

CrossCourt~Rally
May 3rd, 2008, 04:03 AM

The money and popularity seems to be on the road ( touring ) these days . The main cd release only seems like a minor launch party these days.
This was just another Madonna reminder of yet another milestone. LONGEVITY.

Go Madonna and Kylie ! :rocker2:

:wavey:

kittyking
May 3rd, 2008, 04:33 AM
It's one of her better albums, I downloaded a few of the tracks and their all pretty good!

kittyking
May 3rd, 2008, 04:35 AM
Madonna has 12 #1 singles

I think she has about twice that here :lol:

mirzalover
May 3rd, 2008, 04:41 AM
I think she has about twice that here :lol:

I cant believe she has 60 top ten singles in The UK

CrossCourt~Rally
May 3rd, 2008, 05:00 AM
I cant believe she has 60 top ten singles in The UK

Kylie Minogue has nearly 40 in the UK and she is 10 years younger. Hopefully she can crank out another 20 during the next decade :rocker2:

faboozadoo15
May 3rd, 2008, 10:04 AM
Why are Madonna and Mariah being put into the same category?
They couldn't be more different. Madonna is edgy, envelope pushing, explorer of all parts of her inner being, change the world kind of gal. Mariah is a crash dieting, pin up, pretty voice, hot bod, diva. Mariah makes pop music exclusively, and Madonna makes several kinds.

Madonna is an icon.
Mariah is a packaged product.

PS, I love them both for what they are. But Madonna would be Madonna without any #1 singles or albums. Mariah Carey is defined by her success.

MLF
May 3rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
Hard Candy is set to be Madonna's 10th #1 album in the UK tomorrow. She just continues to roll here.

For those interested in numbers Kylie's had 4 #1 albums here, Mariah 2 and Janet 1.

CrossCourt~Rally
May 8th, 2008, 12:07 AM
It's a busy week at the top of the The Billboard 200, with Madonna's "Hard Candy" leading the action at No. 1. It is the artist's seventh chart-topper, the second-most among all female artists -- only Barbra Streisand, with eight, has more. The Warner Bros. set moved 280,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan. After racing 68-3 last month, the diva's single "4 Minutes" featuring Justin Timberlake gave Madonna her 37th top 10 hit -- the most of any artist in the rock era. Until now, she and Elvis Presley were tied with 36 apiece.

As a consequence, Mariah Carey's "E=MC2" (Island Def Jam) is dethroned to No. 2 after two weeks on top; the album moved 95,000 units, a 48% sales drop-off. Leona Lewis' "Spirit" (Syco/J) slips 2-3 with 84,000 (-12%).

Lyfe Jennings' Columbia album "Lyfe Change" starts with 80,000 at No. 4. His last set trumps this start though, as "The Phoenix" began at No. 2 with 136,000 in 2006.

Def Leppard scores its 11th consecutive top 20 album with the bow of "Songs from the Sparkle Lounge" (Island/UMe) at No. 5 with 55,000 units. The band started its top 20 streak on The Billboard 200 back with 1983's "Pyromania" when it peaked at No. 2. Since "Pyromania," every Def Leppard album has reached the top 20.

The Roots' ninth album, Def Jam set "Rising Down," enters at No. 6 off of a 54,000 start. The hip-hop act's last release, 2006's "Game Theory," started at No. 9 with 61,000.

Thanx4nothin
May 8th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Why are Madonna and Mariah being put into the same category?
They couldn't be more different. Madonna is edgy, envelope pushing, explorer of all parts of her inner being, change the world kind of gal. Mariah is a crash dieting, pin up, pretty voice, hot bod, diva. Mariah makes pop music exclusively, and Madonna makes several kinds.

Madonna is an icon.
Mariah is a packaged product.

PS, I love them both for what they are. But Madonna would be Madonna without any #1 singles or albums. Mariah Carey is defined by her success.

That comment is ludicrous IMO. Mariah Carey does not have a 'pretty voice' she has a refined spectecular instrument. As for the hot bod nonsense she never sold her sexuality on the scale madonna did, not even close. She isn't defined by her success, more by her all consuming talent. I'm afraid thats more than I can say for Madonna who is edgy yes, but musically talented , no. And doesn't deserve to be as revered as she is, successful perhaps but so much respect, no. Just my opinion.

~{X}~
May 8th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Mariah's single Bye Bye dropped from 21 to 44 this week. :eek:

mirzalover
May 8th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Yeah she better start promo (again) and radio needs to start playing it again. Word is Love Story is the 3rd single. Why I dont know :shrug:

~{X}~
May 8th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Madonna's next single, Give It 2 Me is now 21. :lol:

And yeah, Mariah better start promoting again, not sure if all this marriage thing helped or hurt her.

mirzalover
May 8th, 2008, 02:51 AM
It was dropping on Itunes before this marriage. She has had a strange week.

Chance
May 11th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Just want to say I'm disappointed with Hard Candy, Confessions on a dancefloor was much better.

Viktymise
May 11th, 2008, 02:18 PM
280k sucks.

spartanfan
May 11th, 2008, 03:17 PM
280k sucks.
Yea 280k is good but not great considering her last cd sold more during it's opening week. I expect her next week sales to be under 100k. It will be interesting to see if it makes it to platinum. I say it's out of the top 10 by week 3. And while Madonna has great entertainment value, and once was known for pushing the envelope, she has never been known as a great singer. There are artists on American Idol who are better singers than Madonna. It was just how she packaged herself early on in her career that got her to where she is. Mariah got to where she is because of her voice.

harloo
May 11th, 2008, 03:27 PM
280k sucks.

For an icon like Madonna it does suck major balls. Mary sold 700K+ her first week, Alicia 700K+, and Madonna 280K? Wow.:eek:

LDF
May 11th, 2008, 03:30 PM
^^ To be fair, Alicia and Mary both released their albums in the lead-up to Christmas (in fact I believe 'Growing Pains' came out literally a week before?), when album sales are strongest. At this time of year sales in general are not the best.

Viktymise
May 11th, 2008, 03:37 PM
For an icon like Madonna it does suck major balls. Mary sold 700K+ her first week, Alicia 700K+, and Madonna 280K? Wow.:eek:

Even Britney had nearly 400k for Blackout.

jenny161185
May 11th, 2008, 03:38 PM
ye but Mary doesnt exactly do great around the rest of the world! Alicia does quite well over here (UK and Ireland)

Beat
May 11th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Hard Candy is set to be Madonna's 10th #1 album in the UK tomorrow. She just continues to roll here.

For those interested in numbers Kylie's had 4 #1 albums here, Mariah 2 and Janet 1.

exactly. people in here always talk about american sales, but what really matters are the worldwide performances: madonna hit no. 1 in 27 countries with "hard candy".

that said, the album is a stinker and quite possibly madonna's worst ever :unsure:

Dahveed
May 11th, 2008, 05:58 PM
So people still buy CDs?

Beat
May 11th, 2008, 06:47 PM
So people still buy CDs?

i do!
a) the sound quality is simply much better thenan MP3's
b) i'm always afraid my harddisk will crash one day
c) we're not all bloodsucking criminals ;)

abercrombieguy23
May 11th, 2008, 06:54 PM
i do!
a) the sound quality is simply much better thenan MP3's
b) i'm always afraid my harddisk will crash one day
c) we're not all bloodsucking criminals ;)
:worship:

Dahveed
May 11th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Ditto. But beat i'd do the same but i have no money and no storage except my hard drive :angel:

harloo
May 11th, 2008, 07:28 PM
exactly. people in here always talk about american sales, but what really matters are the worldwide performances: madonna hit no. 1 in 27 countries with "hard candy".

that said, the album is a stinker and quite possibly madonna's worst ever :unsure:

I have no objection to you posting international sales numbers. I'm just saying Madonna usually does better in the states. It's funny because even my co-worker who's a diehard Madonna fan said she was going to download the album because she didn't like the direction. She felt Madonna was alienating her base of fans by using hip hop producers. It's kind of like people felt Janet needing to make age appropriate music which after long examination I agree with. I love Janet but it would be foolish for me to deny that fact.

harloo
May 11th, 2008, 07:29 PM
So people still buy CDs?

I'm reporting you to the RIAA.:lol: