PDA

View Full Version : PETITION TIME!! - Does Jelena Dokic deserve TA's French Open Wildcard?

OZTENNIS
Apr 29th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I think it is time for TA to sit up and take notice of Jelena once more...

She qualified for Hobart and Fes and has beaten Muller, Meusberger, Shvedova and Erakovic already this year...

She is already scheduled to re-enter the WTA Rankings at around 429 after her results this week...

As a result, I think she should get FO WC ahead of the likes of Molik and Stosur...It would be her first Grand Slam main draw appearance since 2006 Australian Open

It is time for TennisForum.com to help influence TA here and now :bounce:

SO GET VOTING

OZTENNIS
Apr 29th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Should I start a Facebook group for this topic people :confused:

OZTENNIS
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Facebook group has been created ;)

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:03 AM
As much as I love Jelena I dont think she should be rewarded the wildcard... Especially if she is changing back to serbian anyway... I would love her to get the US Open one.

OZTENNIS
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:07 AM
^^^^
You just want Sam to get it :p
Jelena has obviously put in the hard yards and seems determined to get back to the top

I don't think she will change back to Serbia, especially if she got the French Open wildcard

OZTENNIS
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:08 AM
For those members on Facebook...here is the link ;)
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15352947622&ref=mf

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:12 AM
^^^^
You just want Sam to get it :p
Jelena has obviously put in the hard yards and seems determined to get back to the top

I don't think she will change back to Serbia, especially if she got the French Open wildcard

Lol partly but I dunno I just think there are more deserving recipents :cool: By saying this though I would be stoked if she got it :angel:

Golovinjured.
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Of course she should! Already achieved more than any Aussie this year, bar Dellacqua. This would show Jelena that TA is behind her, so if TA doesn't want to lose her than they should wisen up and use there fuckin heads!

Molik and Stosur - both in quallies. If they are good enough to be in the FO MD than they will qualify. Moore - still a bit too young in my opinion - needs to really prove herself on the ITF tour before she gets the TA handouts ala FERGUSON :fiery: Ferguson, Wheeler and Adamczak - had enough chances in my opinion - and they should make FO quallies aswell I think. Dokic is the only real prospect left to consider..if Australia wants to keep her as an Aussie they need to start backing her in this comeback..

If they don't want to just waste a WC, then Dokic should get it obviously - but I doubt TA will give it to her because they are :silly: and need :help:

OZTENNIS
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I agree.
Dokic worked very hard in Australia and lost a lot of weight. She has continued to work hard since the Australian Open, and realistically, she could do some serious damage at Roland Garros. Like you said, it would show her and her family that Tennis Australia is behind her.

And to be honest, Molik shouldn't get it. She has had her fair share of handouts. She should be made to qualify by TA - for once. Stosur's comeback last week in Dothan was impressive, but frankly, she just needs to play as many matches as possible, and quite frankly, quallies would help her to do that. She should be eyeing off Wimbledon, anyway ;)

Moore isn't too young, but she hasn't had a decent preparation for Roland Garros and therefore shouldn't get the wildcard. And besides, that would be her 3rd Grand Slam main draw wildcard in a row...
Obviously Adamczak, Ferguson and Wheeler shouldn't get it, so Dokic is a logical answer

Ben.
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:48 AM
My choice for the FO WC would either be between Jelena or Jess.

Although to be honest I would like to see Jelena play FO Qualies rather the MD just to get more & more matches under her belt to enable her to be prepared for the players that are highly ranked above her (unless she does really well in Fes in the MD & possibly Rome, then she'll be ready).

And I don't think Jess is too young to receive one, she also deserves it for her wonderful results that she has been displaying over the last few months :)

Ben.
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Can you place in the option "Not sure", Zack :lol:

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Can you place in the option "Not sure", Zack :lol:

:lol: Thats how I feel :p

OZTENNIS
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:51 AM
My choice for the FO WC would either be between Jelena or Jess.

Although to be honest I would like to see Jelena play FO Qualies rather the MD just to get more & more matches under her belt to enable her to be prepared for the players that are highly ranked above her (unless she does really well in Fes in the MD & possibly Rome, then she'll be ready).

And I don't think Jess is too young to receive one, she also deserves it for her wonderful results that she has been displaying over the last few months :)
I agree re. Jess...but I would like to see her play quallies for French Open and Wimbledon rather than MD's straight up. She will most likely play main draw of all 4 next year anyway...
Jelena on the other hand, well she really should get the French Open wildcard. I think it's only fair...

:lol:
Sorry there's no ''Not Sure'' option now I posted poll :help:

OZTENNIS
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Maybe her result tonight can sway your verdict, Ben and Jordan :)

Ben.
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:53 AM
If Jelena wins Fes (scratch that actually), does well in Fes & puts in a decent showing in Rome, then I'll definitely say she'll deserve the WC.

kittyking
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:54 AM
To be completely honest..........no way!

Well that probably sounds bad, its not necessarily that Jelena Dokic doesn't deserve it - its more a matter of who deserves it most, and I think that's Jess.

Ben.
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I agree re. Jess...but I would like to see her play quallies for French Open and Wimbledon rather than MD's straight up. She will most likely play main draw of all 4 next year anyway...
Jelena on the other hand, well she really should get the French Open wildcard. I think it's only fair...

:lol:
Sorry there's no ''Not Sure'' option now I posted poll :help:

I think Jess still has time though to develop as a top class player, so it couldn't hurt to give her the WC even if she loses first round. Not the end all to be all if that happens, but yes you do have a point about her possbly playing qualies just to get more experience & for her to earn her way into the slams.

But for me its still a toss-up between her & Jelena. Whoever gets it deserves it, wish they gave two WC's :lol: which is impossible.

Andy.
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I initially voted no but when I think about it Alicia and Sam can both play qualies and should get thru. Jelena doesnt have that option so to have the most potential Aussies in the draw it would be smart to give it to Jelena and Sam and Alicia could play qualies. That being said Alicia and Sam both deserve it more in terms of playing for Australia and the support they have shown for Australia over the years and I dont think it would look very good giving it to Jelena over the other 2.

Dani12
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Why can't TA just hold a playoff? Alicia, Sam, Jelena, Monique, Sophie, Jess, Christina and maybe Jarka. Then whoever wins that will be the most deserved, I guess there's not much time to actually hold something like that but at least it would get rid of all the tiresome backlash and bitching about who should have got what and who shouldn't have.

Ben.
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Its actually quite difficult to be honest to decide who deserves the WC. all aforementioned players (Lish, Sam, Jess, Jelena & maybe others etc.) need the matches going into the FO MD & it doesn't hurt if they play qualies. but however a MD WC opportunity is there so whoever gets it, deserves it.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Why can't TA just hold a playoff? Alicia, Sam, Jelena, Monique, Sophie, Jess, Christina and maybe Jarka. Then whoever wins that will be the most deserved, I guess there's not much time to actually hold something like that but at least it would get rid of all the tiresome backlash and bitching about who should have got what and who shouldn't have.

Agree totally ;)

Ben.
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:09 AM
lol I think I keep on changing my opinions. First I say it should be between Jess or Jelena that deserves it, & now I reply that whoever gets it out of all the recognised aussies deserves it. its hard.

Mr.Kardashian
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I absolutely LOVE jelena and i think she deserves the wildcard IF she can stay fit, healthy and motivated and play a few more tournaments before the FO. im really impressed with her form lately beating some credible players this year already and proving this is genuine comeback attempt.

im still not 100% sure that if it were up to me i would hand her the WC but if she can win a couple of MD matches in the next month then for sure TA would be stupid not to open their eyes and give jelena the support she obviously needs. Personally i feel as though she should play FO quallies as she simply needs more matches but its not up to me!

Droolv
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:34 AM
No I don't think she should ;)

Sam should get it hands down :p

OZTENNIS
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:36 AM
^^^
Why?

Droolv
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Because Sam's illness was so unfortuent and we all know Sam is the top Australian ;)

She shouldn't have to qualify :p

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Because Sam's illness was so unfortuent and we all know Sam is the top Australian ;)

Lol :D Definatly! And then I can see her on TV! Lol But I really do hope she gets it!

Droolv
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:42 AM
If Jelena loses in R1 today in Fes, what's the point of sticking her in the Roland Garros MD, where she'll have less of a chance of winning then Sam :shrug: Exactly the same with Jess ;)

OZTENNIS
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:43 AM

No we don't :p
Jelena at her best > Alicia at her best > Sam at her best
Jelena at the moment > Sam at the moment...

I think that Jelena should get a chance...Sam needs matches, and that means qualifying

Droolv
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:45 AM
How's Jelena at the moment better than Sam at the moment? :confused:

OZTENNIS
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:46 AM
If Jelena loses in R1 today in Fes, what's the point of sticking her in the Roland Garros MD, where she'll have less of a chance of winning then Sam :shrug: Exactly the same with Jess ;)
And how many top 100 players has Sam beaten this year?
And who has more points this season?
And who has the better Roland Garros record?
And who has the better career record?
And who has the higher career ranking?
And who is the better player overall?

Droolv
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Sam has played 1 tournament this year so you can't judge her just yet ;)

I think Jelena time has passed :shrug:

OZTENNIS
Apr 29th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Yet she has beaten 3 top 100 players this year and qualified for two WTA events (of the 3 she played) she has done much better than Sam, who spent only 7 months on the sidelines...Dokic hadn't played since February 2007...and has done very well...and will continue to improve

Harvs
Apr 29th, 2008, 12:10 PM
i think a playoff would be fair between jelena, alicia, sammy and jess...

but at this very moment, if there was no playoff... i would say no for jelena, sam should get it...

altho depending on both their results in the next two or so weeks, my opinion may change..

auntie janie
Apr 29th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Look at it from TA's point of view: after being MIA for ages, Jelena suddenly shows up in October to get in shape and use their practice facilities. She has a few good wins in the Australian summer, sharply criticizes TA to the press, leaves the country, and completely disappears for a few months. Now she suddenly resurfaces and wins three matches over some low-ranked players to qualify at a Tier 4 tournament.

Now, if she kept in touch with TA during her absence to let them know why she wasn't playing and that she fully intended to come back soon in great shape, AND if she wins a few MD matches here and in Rome or wherever, then I think they should at least consider her for the WC.

But if they never heard from her during her absence, then all they will see is a talented but very erratic player who may or may not suddenly disappear again for months or years. In that case, I doubt they would even consider Jelena in the mix of possibilities for the WC. And given her bitter remarks about them before she left, my guess is that she didn't keep in touch.

If that's the case, she is not going to get the WC, and probably shouldn't. TA will want to reward players they can rely on, who keep in touch, and who are happy to make themselves available for Fed Cup.

Jogi
Apr 29th, 2008, 12:47 PM
oh c'mon, Stosur is anything but a threat on red clay, all she ever did was beating Schiavone and Mauresmo in Rome last year when being far from their best, and reaching a final some years back
her comeback tournament last week was was an ok success, reaching the semis with a cakewalk draw, the only reasons to give the WC to her over Jelena would be her illness and that she's a "real" Ozzie
so it's really between Jelena and Stosur IMO (and LMAO@ people even considering Moore for a MAINDRAW WC, she's not really done anything this year, has she ever beaten a top100 player btw?)

that being said, I like Jelena's chances of winning a match in MD better than actually winning 3 matches to qualify for MD

OZTENNIS
Apr 29th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I see your point,
But Australian women tennis players aren't exactly a common species on the WTA Tour. With 1 player ranked in the top 100 (excluding still, and none in the top 50, Tennis Australia should be doing everything in its power to get a solid group of women at the top of the ladder. Dellacqua, Molik, Stosur and Dokic are capable of all being top 50 players right at this moment in time. Whilst TA were understandably wary of a repeat of 2006, they weren't exactly encouraging in funding or top class coaching for Jelena...

aussie_fan
Apr 29th, 2008, 12:54 PM
nooooooooooooooo, no, no, no. This is her first tournament since she hobart and trying to qualify for Aussie open. She really should not get it. Can't give handouts to players who you can't be sure they are fully committed.

Droolv
Apr 29th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Put it this way however Sam and Jelena go in their next tournaments (Fes and Charlottesville) then I might make my mind up ;)

OZTENNIS
Apr 29th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Well we can safely rule out Molik, who just got humiliated by a 16 year old 6-4 6-4.

So it leaves Stosur, Moore and Dokic...
Bit surprised Dokic lost 6-4 6-2, but it was a lot closer than the scoreline suggested

Belco
Apr 29th, 2008, 03:46 PM
its still early days to be pondering if jelzi should get TA's wild card for RG.. shes played what 4 games... see how she goes after a few months for these types of decisions. I know RG is around the corner but for all we know she could go back into hiding after this loss :lol:

Привет
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I said yes. For the simple reason that in her 3 WTA tournaments this year she's done a lot more than most other Aussie girls have. I hate to say that because it seems like I'm degrading the Australian women's achievements, but it's just truth.

Sam and Alicia should play qualifying. I wouldn't even consider Jess. Just because she's our most promising young player, doesn't mean TA must give her handouts left right and centre.

If Jelena keeps in form she might be able to win a round or two at RG, which is unfortunately most probably more than the other Australian women.

Uranium
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:44 PM
who cares about the French Open, give her the Wimbledon Main Draw WC:hearts:

Babolatpro880
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:49 PM
As much as I hope they'll give it to her, I DOUBT that she'll get the wildard. Wimbledon does seem to love her, so perhaps there'll be more of a chance there. Overall though, I hope Jelena plays Florence and Rome and about 30 more tournaments this year ( :lol: ) and hopefully gets her ranking up in time to at least play the US Open qualies.

Uranium
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Wimbledon, hopefully, gives her a main draw WC and some WCs into the tier grass events:fingercrossed:, 2006 they gave her a QWC, before losing to Lexy when serving for the match:o, so they might actually give her a MDWC(more of hope than reality:lol:)

Slutati
Apr 30th, 2008, 05:50 AM
YES!of course.

OZTENNIS
Apr 30th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Well we care about a French Open wildcard because TA have the power to give her one, but they don't for Wimbledon.
In my opinion, Tennis Australia needs to show the world that it still supports Jelena Dokic. As a result, they should show it and give her the wildcard. Otherwise she might revert to Serbia and then they would be kicking themselves when Dokic makes the top 100 once more. We all know she is capable of making the top 100 again, and of all the Aussies in contention for a wildcard, she could put it to the best use...

Привет
Apr 30th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Well we care about a French Open wildcard because TA have the power to give her one, but they don't for Wimbledon.
In my opinion, Tennis Australia needs to show the world that it still supports Jelena Dokic. As a result, they should show it and give her the wildcard. Otherwise she might revert to Serbia and then they would be kicking themselves when Dokic makes the top 100 once more. We all know she is capable of making the top 100 again, and of all the Aussies in contention for a wildcard, she could put it to the best use...

Exactly. The only two women who should really be considered for this WC are Stosur and Dokic. Molik qualified in Prague, but then lost in straight sets to an unknown Czech girl. I don't think that Alicia belongs in the MD more than Sam and Jelena at RG, she should play qualifying. So in my mind it's really only between those two. Stosur is already in for the qualifying draw, so if for no other reason than that, Dokic should get it. :shrug:

OZTENNIS
Apr 30th, 2008, 06:12 AM
^^^^
Exactly ;)

Cankarlo
Apr 30th, 2008, 06:16 AM

Ditto!!;)

OZTENNIS
Apr 30th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Here is the link for those of you who have facebook and haven't already signed up
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15352947622&ref=mf

Brett.
Apr 30th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Wow, you look so cute :) Zak.

OZTENNIS
Apr 30th, 2008, 06:40 AM
:scared:
Just letting you know I'm not gay...
Thanks any way Brettles :yawn:

Brett.
Apr 30th, 2008, 07:18 AM
:kiss: :kiss: Zak. I was just giving you a compliment :p

Droolv
Apr 30th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Sam should get the Roland Garros WC and Jelena the Wimbledon ;)

Sam will be in direct enterance for Wimbledon anyway :angel:

OZTENNIS
Apr 30th, 2008, 09:49 AM
No she won't...Wimbledon cut off is in 2 weeks, she would need to win Charlottesville and then make the semi finals in Rome to get a spot in Wimbledon main draw.

AND THERE IS NO ARRANGEMENT BETWEEN TA AND LTA FOR DOKIC TO GET MD WIMBLEDON WILDCARD...
Dokic is better on clay than Stosur, so she should get WC ;)

Droolv
Apr 30th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Oh I didnt know Wimbledon was so soon :eek:

I doubt TA will give it to Jelena :shrug:

BTW did you see her match vs Arn?

So Disrespectful
Apr 30th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Jelena should get a QWC into Wimbledon.

The only problem with tour qualification is that they are usually forced to play 4 consecutive days. For someone lacking match play, that can be tricky as we've seen with Jelena at Fes. At the slams, she'd be able to have a few days in between matches which is fair.

So Disrespectful
Apr 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM
But of course that wasn't the question. :lol:

I can't see any other girl more deserving to be honest :shrug:. Both Sam and Jelena have been out of action and are in similar form, winning a few matches against decently ranked girls before bowing out in their respective tournaments. The only discernible difference would have to be potential form and Dokic has been in the top 5, Stosur the top 30. On that merit alone, it would be stupid not to pick Jelena.

OZTENNIS
Apr 30th, 2008, 10:10 AM
No, I didn't see her match vs. Arn

OZTENNIS
May 1st, 2008, 04:54 AM
29 vs 8
Pretty convincing margin...
Cast votes ASAP people as wildcard decision will be made within two weeks

So Disrespectful
May 1st, 2008, 06:58 AM
Why facebook, why not an actual petition? Try Google.

Then we can send the link off to TA when we receive enough votes.

OZTENNIS
May 1st, 2008, 07:01 AM
Well you can do a google petition ;)

azza
May 1st, 2008, 07:25 AM
Its pretty biased being in the Jelena Dokic forum oh i wonder what everyones gunna vote :tape: :rolleyes: make the thread in general messeges

aussie_fan
May 1st, 2008, 07:29 AM
Its pretty biased being in the Jelena Dokic forum oh i wonder what everyones gunna vote :tape: :rolleyes: make the theead on the geenral messegeds

yep agreed, even on GM it might be a bit biased.

I'm sorry, but only incredibly biased jelena fans can think that she should get a wc, i support jelena and hope she goes well and keeps playing, but considering the amount of tournaments she has played for starters should shut this arguement down immediately.

Dani12
May 1st, 2008, 07:35 AM
Ok revising my initial idea, cut christina, jarka, soph and monique cause they are play crap at the moment :lol: and just have a four women tournament on clay between Sam, Alicia, Jelena and Jess!

OZTENNIS
May 1st, 2008, 08:05 AM
Its pretty biased being in the Jelena Dokic forum oh i wonder what everyones gunna vote :tape: :rolleyes: make the thread in general messeges
:rolleyes: THAT IS THE POINT OF A PETITION :weirdo:

doktor
May 1st, 2008, 12:51 PM
Surely the wildcard should go on the potential a player has to make it deep into the draw... and if you look honestly Jelena is the only current australian player with any decent results on clay... while Molik should have the weapons at RG the best shes ever done at RG is 3r, Stosur lacks the consitstency and matchplay to go deep into the draw and needs the games under her belt, although an impressive 3rd round last year... Moore probably shlould and will get the WC... despite her having never played a Grand Slam match on the clay of RG (which is a big reason why she should play qualies for experience)... Dokic has the best results on clay... the only active aussie to have won a tier 1 claycourt title, and if the aussies want to return to the fed cup world group they need to nurture relationships with players like Dokic, who when at their best can play on all surfaces

TS
May 1st, 2008, 12:58 PM
I vote 'No' but without the exclamation mark.

I like Jelena and wish her the best, but I'm not sold on her commitment (or loyalty) just yet.

Just Do It
May 1st, 2008, 01:01 PM
When is the cut off for Wimbledon and US OPEN ?

Highlandman
May 1st, 2008, 01:15 PM
When is the cut off for Wimbledon and US OPEN ?

Wimbledon is in week of Rome.
US Open probably in week of Stanford.

:)

ninanina19
May 1st, 2008, 01:28 PM
I think Jelena should get it (not biased). When it comes down to who has more of a chance to win matches there, you have to say Jelena. I could see all of the other girls losing first round. Besides, Jelena will have more match play by then and she'll be better prepared when Roland Garros comes.

Just Do It
May 1st, 2008, 01:39 PM
I doubt Jelena will get it over Stosur, and Australians will first check who will Jelena play for in the future. That could be a deciding factor.

ninanina19
May 1st, 2008, 01:41 PM
I'm 100% sure Jelena won't get it :rolleyes: . It's so stupid, whoever gets it will probably/definetely lose 1st round.

OZTENNIS
May 1st, 2008, 01:44 PM
Hence we raise awareness and send this to TA ;)
That's why we need as many votes as possible

ninanina19
May 1st, 2008, 01:53 PM
Let's make an actual petition. I don't know how :shrug: .

aussie_fan
May 1st, 2008, 01:55 PM
I'm 100% sure Jelena won't get it :rolleyes: . It's so stupid, whoever gets it will probably/definetely lose 1st round.

She could easily lose 1st round as well, espically considering the amount of tournaments she's played this year, instead of giving the WC to someone who hasn't shown loyalty and be given enough handouts already, should be given to someone who can use it ont heir comeback (ie. sam) or get good experience (ie. jess).

Jelena shouldn't be considered.

CCCP1
May 1st, 2008, 02:39 PM
i'd say getting a qualy wildcard for wimbledon is more reasonable then a wildcard in Paris

ninanina19
May 1st, 2008, 02:43 PM
She could easily lose 1st round as well, espically considering the amount of tournaments she's played this year, instead of giving the WC to someone who hasn't shown loyalty and be given enough handouts already, should be given to someone who can use it ont heir comeback (ie. sam) or get good experience (ie. jess).

Jelena shouldn't be considered.
I think that TA should wait until Rome and see how Jelena does there. Jelena actually has a chance of winning 2 rounds. She only needs to get her serve together to start consistently beating top 100 players. The other 2 you mentioned have no chance of doing anything with the WC.

aussie_fan
May 1st, 2008, 02:58 PM
I think that TA should wait until Rome and see how Jelena does there. Jelena actually has a chance of winning 2 rounds. She only needs to get her serve together to start consistently beating top 100 players. The other 2 you mentioned have no chance of doing anything with the WC.

The WC is not all about who would go the furthest, to be honest it would be extremely tough or all of them to win a match but also who will value it the most and get the most out of it for future play, if jess got a chance here, it would be great for her to see how the world's best to play on clay.

The arguement of Jelena could win a few matches is pointless, she lost to a player outside the top 100 in straight sets, sam probably would of just done as well. Granted she hasn't played for a few months but why is that the case? and how can we sure that she just won't go back into hiding or change back to serbia. There are so many arguements against this and no reason for it. Give the WC to someone we know who is completely committed.

There is no way in the world that TA is considering this and just can't believe people actually think could/should happen. She comes back and play a tournament and suddenly she's a great player again.

powerbackhand
May 1st, 2008, 03:26 PM
wat about a quali wildcard instead???????

Chris 84
May 1st, 2008, 03:29 PM
No way in hell does she deserve another hand-out for being "Australian"

cn ireland
May 1st, 2008, 06:32 PM
Jelena should absolutely receive this wildcard. Having been the most successful Australian player in many years you would think that TA should be giving her all the help they can in terms of wildcards especially after ignoring her for MD WC in the Oz open this year.

Realistically, I think that Jelena is the only one of the Aussie girls that could win a few matches at RG plus she was previously a quaterfinalist at this event.

So yes, Dokic deserves the wildcard.

OZTENNIS
May 2nd, 2008, 06:38 AM
60 - 16 :drool:

kittyking
May 2nd, 2008, 06:41 AM
60 - 16 :drool:

That's a shock, especially when you consider that you posted it in Dokic's Domain ;)

OZTENNIS
May 2nd, 2008, 06:45 AM
Why do people keep saying that :weirdo:
That is the point of a petition, to gather support :lol:

kittyking
May 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM

Exactly, petitions are for support. If you made one for Jess Moore then she would probably get a number of votes as well, she probably would get less no votes as well (apart from Azza!). Did I just see you trying to get people from General Messages to vote yes in the poll here too :lol:

Don't worry I good repped you..............but Jess deserves the RG08 Maindraw wildcard more :bounce:

OZTENNIS
May 2nd, 2008, 08:31 AM
:lol: I would love it if Jessica got it but I think Sam will still get it (although I'd love Jelena to get it the most :lol:)

Okay, I am sending this off to Tennis Australia right now ;)

OZTENNIS
May 2nd, 2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks for all the votes guys :)
And I am going straight to the top by sending this to Craig Tiley

I'll post my email here after I send it :)

Vulturepova
May 2nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
I thought no but now I think yes. I was thinking along the lines that Stosur may need the wildcard as she has been injured for so long but then does she not get a special ranking? In which case Jelena has far more potential to do well than any of the other Aussies on clay.

OZTENNIS
May 2nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
Here is what I wrote:

Hello Mr Tiley,

I am writing to you in regards to the 2008 French Open and Tennis Australia's wildcard for the women's singles event. Despite the previous successes of Alicia Molik and Samantha Stosur, and the great progress made by Jessica Moore over recent times, a group of tennis fans believes that Jelena Dokic is deserving of the wildcard for a number of reasons.

Now before you think we are all crazy and delete this email, I would just like to point out some facts:

- Jelena Dokic is the most successful Australian woman over the past 25 years, reaching the Wimbledon and Olympic semi finals in 2000 and winning 5 WTA Singles titles.
- She has been Australia's highest ranked active female player at World No.4 ahead of Molik (No.8) and Stosur (No.27)
- She has the best record of all Australians on clay, reaching the quarter finals of Roland Garros in 2002 and winning the Italian Open in 2001. Neither Molik or Stosur has progressed beyond the third round of Roland Garros or made the quarter finals of a Tier 1 on clay.
- Dokic has proven her worth this year with wins over Muller, Meusberger, Shvedova and Erakovic. Three of these players were in the top 100 at the time. In contrast, Molik, Stosur and Moore have just 2 top 100 wins between them this year.
- Despite only playing in 3 events this season, she will re-enter the rankings at No.431 and is looking forward to returning to the top 100

Since Jelena left Australia, it has been reported that she has moved back to Serbia, reunited with her father and is very keen and motivated for future success. But this rings alarm bells in the minds of Australian tennis fans. We do not want to lose her, again. Even though she has been a controversial figure in women's tennis over the years, she has always played well when representing Australia in Hopman Cup and Fed Cup, and done so with great pride and dignity. Us fans believe that if Tennis Australia were to give Jelena a wildcard, it would seal her as an Australian.

I now present to you a ''petition'' which has recently been held on the TennisForum.com website. Since Jelena's return to tennis in Morocco, 60 fans have responded saying Jelena did deserve the French Open wildcard. In contrast, only 17 disagreed. This is an overwhelming 77.92% of the vote IN FAVOUR of Jelena receiving the main draw wildcard. This decision is located at the following link: http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=13059477#post13059477

Will you not take that into consideration?

I conclude now by thanking you for reading this email and I would just like to ask when, roughly, the Australian wildcards will be announced for Roland Garros?

Kind regards

Ben.
May 2nd, 2008, 10:14 AM
Im simply not gonna vote, why? Because I feel that whoever gets the WC deserves it. I think that Jelena isn't the only one to deserve it! there is also jess & some others who deserve it as well too.

So therefore I ain't voting. no one is gonna persuade me, simple as that!!!

Droolv
May 2nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
The point is Sam physically couldn't have played any early than Dothan it's not like she's been slacking off the tour or playing 25K ITF's. So what if she's had 1 top 100 win this year, which was in her first tournament after a 7 month break.

Can someone tell me what Jelena's been doing between AO qualies and Fes?

alex14
May 2nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
Theres so many options to take in, theres Jess Moore, who people say this WC will give her more experience. But i would prefer her to qualify as that to me is more experience than getting fed straight into the MD, as it will help her become more of a solid player, and will let her play more players in the 150-250 range, which to me is where she needs help with.

Then theres Sam who hasnt shown true potential on clay and could use quallies to get some more match practice in for Wimbledon. Alicia should definetely not be an option!.

And then Jelena...where to be honest, i dont think deserves one. But she has had some good results this year, and we all know Jelena plays alot better when shes the underdog, so she 'can' trouble some top players on the clay. But i think she should get a qual WC and qualify for the event, im sure she will qaulify for it anyways, and theres extra points for winning through quallies which will help her with her ranking....

I honestly cant decide between Sam-Jess-Jelena. TA has it tough for this one.

Harvs
May 2nd, 2008, 12:18 PM
hell just delete the email lol... sorry zak

kittyking
May 2nd, 2008, 12:53 PM

Hijacked a couple of times, speculation about that she was pregnant and then started dating a paparazzi........................oh wait thats Britney. Not sure, no idea at all infact :o

Vulturepova
May 2nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
As other people have said- wouldn't she be better off with a qualies WC. That way she could get more match practice and points. If people think she is good enough for the MD then surely she should be able to get through qualifying?
I just dont wanna see her get thrashed first round by a seed.

OZTENNIS
May 2nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
Tennis Australia does not have the power to give her a qualifying wildcard, thus the other option is a main draw wildcard

aussie_fan
May 2nd, 2008, 02:18 PM

You have posted this poll in a Dokic forum, the only people you are going to get are Dokic fans most likely making the poll very biased. I don't think Craig tiley will give a stuff about a poll taken in a Dokic forum.

Just imagine the questions raised if Jelena was given the wildcard? There have been questions in the media in the past wondering why jelena has been given as many chances as she has, it would just raise more questions.

Droolv
May 2nd, 2008, 10:56 PM
Hijacked a couple of times, speculation about that she was pregnant and then started dating a paparazzi........................oh wait thats Britney. Not sure, no idea at all infact :o

Exactly my point. Jelena could have been playing tournaments but she hasn't, while Sam on the other hand physically couldnt play tournaments. So should Jelena just come in after a 3 month break and get a WC? And it's a Tennis Australia WC. Sam puts her hand up for Fed Cup while Jelena never does. Sorry but how do you think Jelena deserves the WC? Sure she reached the Roland Garros quarters and won the Italian open but thanks was 6 years ago! Times have changed from them.....

Привет
May 2nd, 2008, 11:45 PM
No one 'deserves' the WC. If they were deserving of being in the MD, they would be in there already. You can't say Jelena deserves the WC, because if she deserved to be in the maindraw she would've been playing more events this year. You cannot say that Stosur deserves the WC, because she has been out of the game because of injury/illness. And lastly, if Jessica Moore deserved to be in the MD of a Grand Slam, she would've worked up a ranking that got her in there.

No one 'deserves' a WC. It's a gift. Just thought I'd say this because I'm a bit annoyed with people saying different players deserve to be gifted a place in the MD, because in reality, none of them do.

Now if the WC was played off for like it was a couple years ago (I vaguely remember the girls playing off for it, I think Alicia won), then whoever recieved the WC would deserve it because they earnt it.

OZTENNIS
May 3rd, 2008, 04:02 AM
I got a reply from Craig Tiley

Thank you for your input.

Sincerely,
Craig

Can't say we didn't try ;)

Ben.
May 3rd, 2008, 04:09 AM
No one 'deserves' the WC. If they were deserving of being in the MD, they would be in there already. You can't say Jelena deserves the WC, because if she deserved to be in the maindraw she would've been playing more events this year. You cannot say that Stosur deserves the WC, because she has been out of the game because of injury/illness. And lastly, if Jessica Moore deserved to be in the MD of a Grand Slam, she would've worked up a ranking that got her in there.

No one 'deserves' a WC. It's a gift. Just thought I'd say this because I'm a bit annoyed with people saying different players deserve to be gifted a place in the MD, because in reality, none of them do.

Now if the WC was played off for like it was a couple years ago (I vaguely remember the girls playing off for it, I think Alicia won), then whoever recieved the WC would deserve it because they earnt it.

I agree with your post :yeah:

scottsue
May 3rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
Jessica Moore is injured seemingly and Alicia Molik is hopelessly out of form. If Stosur gets in on her protected ranking is there anyone else?

OZTENNIS
May 3rd, 2008, 09:26 AM
She can't use her protected ranking apparently ^^^

auntie janie
May 3rd, 2008, 12:13 PM

If it's true that she broke up with Tin Bikic during that time, then I consider that time well-spent. ;) We also heard that she unloaded her apartment in Zagreb -- maaybe Tin goes with the apartment? :D

If those things are true, then it looks like Jelena has been going through a sort of life revolution, casting off some influences that were keeping her from devoting her time to her career. Maybe she just got tired of sleeping in every day, getting fat, buying paprika and tomatoes ;), hanging out without purpose. Whatever the reasons, to break up a long-term relationship, sell your house, and put behind you a way of life you've been living for years does take time. Seen in this light, her absence from tournaments in those months makes sense, and might be a good thing.

We'll know in a few months whether these changes are real, and deep, and whether they'll pay off. I'm sure Tennis Australia will also be watching.

Droolv
May 14th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Sam got it ;)

Привет
May 14th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Ah yeah, hence the thread in GM. :scratch: