PDA

View Full Version : The summer blockbusters - what will be hot/gonna flop?

only_one_maria
Apr 28th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I don't usually pay that much attention to the 'business' of film, but I notice a lot of the American media is really fixated with the likely hits and misses of the summer. I've taken some interest this year as someone who grew up watching Indiana Jones and looking forward (with a certain trepidation) to the new movie.

There's nothing better than seeing a really bad film lose a sh*tload of money for the studio and I can see some real turkeys this year. So what do people think. Here's a brief list off the top of my head.

Speed Racer
Indiana Jones KOTCS
Sex And The City
Iron Man
Incredible Hulk
The Mummy 3
WALL-E
Hancock
Narnia
The Dark Knight

I reckon Iron Man,Incredible Hulk and Hancock could be big flops, maybe Mummy 3 too.

IceHock
Apr 28th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I think narnia and the black night will be the biggest with maybe sex and the city also doing well.

kwilliams
Apr 28th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Speed Racer - Will probably do okay.
Indiana Jones KOTCS - A definite hit.
Sex And The City - Another definite hit.
Iron Man - I'd say it will do quite well, not great.
Incredible Hulk - Bit of a flop.
The Mummy 3 - Will do okay.
WALL-E - A decent hit.
Hancock - I'm not familiar with this one, so I would guess it won't do well.
Narnia - A hit.
The Dark Knight - A big hit.

Sadly I'm not really looking forward to any of them but there are a few I would like to see.

Nemo_Kool
Apr 28th, 2008, 08:54 PM
[quote=kwilliams;13038644]Speed Racer - Will probably do okay.
Indiana Jones KOTCS - A definite hit.
Sex And The City - Another definite hit.
Iron Man - I'd say it will do quite well, not great.
Incredible Hulk - Bit of a flop.
The Mummy 3 - Will do okay.
WALL-E - A decent hit.
Hancock - I'm not familiar with this one, so I would guess it won't do well.
Narnia - A hit.
The Dark Knight - A big hit.
I think your right about them although i kinda do think Hulk will perform well (on par with the one by ang lee) and Hancock is bound to be a hit simply because WILL SMITH is in it!!!I CANNOT WAIT FOR WALL-E!!!! i think a sleeper hit will be Kung fu panda and the happening and maybe the new will ferrell and ben stiller films

Sally Struthers
Apr 28th, 2008, 09:43 PM
INdy, Narnia, Batman, and Mummy 3 will be the big hits. Sex and the City is too gender specific to be a blockbuster.

jonny84
Apr 28th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Really looking forward to Prince Caspian. Hopefully its gonna be a good movie - but not sure I am loving the potential romance between Caspian and Susan that has been pondered.

darrinbaker00
Apr 29th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I hate to say this, but because of Heath Ledger's untimely death, The Dark Knight may break some box-office records.

Denise4925
Apr 29th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I don't usually pay that much attention to the 'business' of film, but I notice a lot of the American media is really fixated with the likely hits and misses of the summer. I've taken some interest this year as someone who grew up watching Indiana Jones and looking forward (with a certain trepidation) to the new movie.

There's nothing better than seeing a really bad film lose a sh*tload of money for the studio and I can see some real turkeys this year. So what do people think. Here's a brief list off the top of my head.

Speed Racer
Indiana Jones KOTCS
Sex And The City
Iron Man
Incredible Hulk
The Mummy 3
WALL-E
Hancock
Narnia
The Dark Knight

I reckon Iron Man,Incredible Hulk and Hancock could be big flops, maybe Mummy 3 too.

I agree, I'm also looking forward to the new Indiana Jones movie with great trepidation. However, heres what the following look like to me:

HITS AND MISSES:

Speed Racer - MISS
Indiana Jones KOTCS - HIT
Sex And The City - MISS
Iron Man - HIT
Incredible Hulk - MISS AGAIN
The Mummy 3 - MISS AGAIN
WALL-E - :shrug:
Hancock - HIT
Narnia - MISS AGAIN
The Dark Knight - HIT

darrinbaker00
Apr 29th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I heard that the new Incredible Hulk movie is more like the comic book than Ang Lee's monumental flop. If that's true, then it should do OK. One movie that hasn't been mentioned, and one I'm looking forward to seeing, is "Get Smart." Who else but Steve Carell could play Max?

Denise4925
Apr 29th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I heard that the new Incredible Hulk movie is more like the comic book than Ang Lee's monumental flop. If that's true, then it should do OK. One movie that hasn't been mentioned, and one I'm looking forward to seeing, is "Get Smart." Who else but Steve Carell could play Max?

I love Steve and was a big fan of "Get Smart", so I hope it's good. But, I'll probably wait for the DVD. ;)

Oh, we forgot about the new "X-Files" movie. It's supposed to pick up where Mulder and Sculley left off, resolve the baby situation and get back to the "monster of the week" type of plot they had in the beginning of the series.

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 29th, 2008, 01:16 AM
I can't wait to see the "Sex" movie, Batman aswell as Speed Racer:drive:.

Christina Ricci :hearts:

Expat
Apr 29th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Speed Racer HIT
Indiana Jones KOTCS FLOP
Sex And The City FLOP WILL DO WELL IN EUROPE
Iron Man NO IDEA
Incredible Hulk FLOP
The Mummy 3 HIT IN ASIA
WALL-E BIG HIT IN EUROPE
Hancock FLOP
Narnia BLOCKBUSTER
The Dark Knight BLOCKBUSTER

:)

kittyking
Apr 29th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I'm looking forward to Narnia! Love it, great scenary too ;)

Also looking forward to Sex and the City, apparantly someone dies in it near the end :sobbing:

spartanfan
Apr 29th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I can only base things on what really interest me at this point and what I will probably actually go see.
Speed Racer -Probably see.
Indiana Jones KOTCS-Definitely will see.
Sex And The City-Definitely will see.
Iron Man-Might see.
Incredible Hulk-Probably won't see.
The Mummy 3-Definitely will see.
WALL-E-Won't see.
Hancock-Might see.
Narnia-Won't see.
The Dark Knight-Definitely won't see. The thought is somewhat creepy to watch Heath L. in his final film role.

I reckon Iron Man,Incredible Hulk and Hancock could be big flops, maybe Mummy 3 too.[/quote]

ZeroSOFInfinity
Apr 29th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Speed Racer - Hmm... a movie on the Mach 5... would watch it, but maybe when there's nothing else to watch anymore.

Indiana Jones KOTCS - It's Indy for Heaven's sake! Surely it would be a blockbuster!!!

Sex And The City - Unless you're a fan.... I am not....

Iron Man - Surely, why not? What's better than a tin man which can fly?

Incredible Hulk - I have to say... after Ang Lee's "flop", I am not quite interested to see it. But then, like Speed Racer, if there's nothing else to watch...

The Mummy 3 - Should be interesting... but hope this is the last one....

WALL-E - What the heck is that?

Hancock - Repeat after me... "HAND-2-COCK"....

Narnia - Haven't watch the trailer, but since I like the 1st one, this one should be good. Or will it be?

The Dark Knight - OK, maybe this is better than a tin man who can fly.... it should be this summer's biggest hit (due to Heath Ledger himself - can't wait to see his final and "possibly" best performance ever).

BigB08822
Apr 29th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I want to see Sex and The City out of those the most. I am a huge fan and have been waiting a long time for this! I also want to see a movie called The Strangers that looks good, I love scary movies!