PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my London Trip in August!

matthias
Apr 28th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Hi!
i turn 30 in August and since i donīt wanna have a party or something like this i thought it would be fun to go London for 3 days and 2 nights.
i would arrive there Friday August 22nd around 8am at Liverpool station
and the flight back is around 8pm sunday
so it is enough time to have some fun and making some tourist stuff.

but since i was just once in London - and it was really unprepared - i have few Question

i would like to use a Oyster-Card this time, how do i know how many money is left on the Card?
is Oyster-Card just for Zone 1 and 2, or can i go into Zone 3 too? because wimbledo is Zone 3, and i would like to make a wimbledon-guided-Tour on my Birthday!
is it usefull to buy a London-Pass?
where can i go at night to have some fun?

thanks for all your ideas and comments :wavey:
what would you recommend to visit?

*abby*
Apr 28th, 2008, 10:03 AM
i took my boyfriend for his birthday earlier this year.
we didnt use the oyster card, we got the day pass which was like £5 a day for i think zones 1-3 which i thought was really good.
the london eye is a must!and we found the natural history museum really cool but we love dinosaurs so thats probably why lol.
hyde park was gorgoues when the sun was shining.
we went to see the lion king. if u have time and money then it is an awesome idea!best thing ive ever seen!
enjoy ur trip :)

*abby*
Apr 28th, 2008, 10:03 AM
oh and for clubbing u should definately go to soho!
its awesome!

Philbo
Apr 28th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Mattias - are you gay or straight? that helps in deciding what to recommend!

Oyster cards can be used for certain zones during a certain period (either 1 day or 1 week etc), and you get unlimited use of the tube and buses within those zones and time period. Alternatively, you can decide to put £5 or £10 credit on your oysters card, and then each journey you do you will get the amount for that trip deducted from it. You can check your balance at any oyster card reader and also some entrances/exits display your new balance as you scan through and it gets subtracted from your total.

I think you should see a musical while you are in London - there are so many good ones. The last good one I saw was Avenue Q. Clubbing etc depends on whether u like boys or girls...

matthias
Apr 28th, 2008, 11:04 AM
i´m gay!

and i will use Oyster
i have read many good thinks about it, and it is better then Daily-Travel-passed.

Philbo
Apr 28th, 2008, 11:04 AM
You can buy a pass on your oyster for any zones.. it gets more expensive the more zones you include on it.

My recommenddation would be for you to just get an unlimited zone 1 and 2 daily pass and just buy a single trip for the only time you go outside of zones 1 and 2

matthias
Apr 28th, 2008, 11:07 AM
but i thought oyster has a dialy limit, which is lower then a daily pass?

kwilliams
Apr 28th, 2008, 11:48 AM
The British Museum is excellent, it has something for everyone and it's free, though you can make a voluntary donation.

The Tower of London is a snooze and a complete rip off too. Avoid it.

I really like the parks, especially Hyde Park and James' Park.

The Jack the Ripper tour is quite cool and gruesome and it's always dark by the time you finish it! Groups meet near the Tower and you cover a lot of ground but not too much.

I didn't go on The Eye because I was still a student at the time and wasn't going to pay all that money and queue for ages but there is a column, erected in memory of The Great Fire of London and it's only like £2.50 to go up it. It has great views of London but avoid it if you don't like spiral staircases (it was a bit of a challenge for me) because the staircase is quite enclosed and obviously you have to make way for people on their way down.

Enjoy Wimbledon!!

Oizo
Apr 28th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Buy a buss pass, it costs you 3:50 pounds per day and you can travel to EVERY zone with it :) You can buy it everywhere were they sell newspapers or cigarettes. With the buss you can SEE a lot more of the town, and it's much more fun than the tube.

If you plan to go to Madame Tussaud's try to buy your ticket online, BEFORE you arrive there. It saves you at least of 1 hour queueing.

London Eye is definitely a must too. If you queue at Madame Tussaud's, you can buy tickets for London Eye and London's Dungeon there too and it saves you some money, I think 5%, so 5 pounds. They cost ya all three together cost you 50 pounds.

London's Dungeon is very cool if you are into horror stuff. Be careful not to arrive in the court and get judged :haha: It's fun though, but in summer it can smell a bit nasty ...

The Tower of London is only cool, if you like to see the Royal jewelery, otherwise it's a rip off.

You can go to the Wimbledon museum, but it's a bit far away ... I wasn't there so I dunno if it's worth

Try to catch the change of guards at the Buckingham Palace. They are every 2nd day, so check it online at what day it will be when you are there :D The park near the Buckingham Palace is also :cool:

Apart from that I guess you know already which are the usual suspects in the sightseeings (Big Ben, Picadilly Circus etc.)

Have fun :D

Paule22
Apr 28th, 2008, 12:34 PM
The Wimbledon tour is just great. What a nice idea for a birthday :bigclap:
But check the times and probarbly prebook a place at https://www.aeltc.com/museum/

Philbo
Apr 28th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Mattias - I should have known you were gay... I thought u were but wanted to make sure..

So will clubbing/partying be on your list of things you want to do? If its bars/pubs that youre looking for - somewhere to have a few drinks etc, you should look around Soho/West end area - most bars are around Old Compton St in Soho..heaps of them..

If its dancing/all night clubbing you want, there are a few around Soho but most of the best ones are in Vauxhall - just south of the thames. Let me know if you want actual names of clubs etc... or PM with any other questions you have...

I turned 30 in February and used my bday as an excuse to GET OUT of london for a long weekend hehehe...

drake3781
Apr 28th, 2008, 07:14 PM
If you want to go to a musical, you can get half price or really cheaper tickets RIGHT before the show. You just go to the box office about 10 minutes before the show and they will sell them to you. I sat in the first row for Les Mis and I will never forget it. I guess people don't want to sit so close - and it was very, very close - but that made it amazing because I could see every last detail including the actors spitting when they sang and looming right over me. Highly recommended.

Nemo_Kool
Apr 28th, 2008, 07:29 PM
i agree with the bus pass idea as the buses arent that bad i commute everyday on them so yea but with the oyster i think it stops chargin with Pay as u go as soon as u use the equivalent price of a travelcard (£5ish?!?)
kool places to check out: covent garden esp. at the weekend, the eye is an experience, a musical (lion king and stomp my faves), Camden is ultra cool as is Notting Hill for eating and exploring markets and stuff (you miss the carnival by 1 week!!!)Movida, aura, pangaea good for clubbing. Ice bar and mahiki good for drinks...enjoy ur trip ;)

Kart
Apr 28th, 2008, 08:45 PM
1. Get an Oyster Card.

2. Be prepared for the fact that Wimbledon guided tour will probably be an anti-climax and get off at Southfields not Wimbledon.

3. If you want to go to a trendy market then go to Notting Hill Gate rather than Camden - though Camden is probably better, you'll have to balance that against the likelihood of someone offering to sell you crack every five minutes. Or Covent Garden otherwise maybe though it is smaller.

4. Old Compton Street.

5. Regent's Park.

I don't know what kind of stuff you want to do or see - three days is not a long time. Where are you staying ?

Kart
Apr 28th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Oh and the London Eye is heavily overpriced. Not that it stops anyone whenever I say that and to be fair I've been on it a few times myself.

Dahveed
Apr 28th, 2008, 09:28 PM
London Eye is boring. Only go if it's on a sunny day or at night.

Walk around London, everything is close in the West End. Follow the Thames.. then for longer trips, take the bus.

Go to east London for some nice bars, Brick Lane or Hoxton..

Yasmine
Apr 28th, 2008, 10:59 PM
London Eye is expensive indeed but what isn't in London. Have been on it a couple of times and I enjoyed it.

British Museum is great too if you're into that.

As for areas, Covent Garden, Notting Hill and parks of course (just pray for a nice weather:p)

matthias
Apr 29th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Buy a buss pass, it costs you 3:50 pounds per day and you can travel to EVERY zone with it :) You can buy it everywhere were they sell newspapers or cigarettes. With the buss you can SEE a lot more of the town, and it's much more fun than the tube.

If you plan to go to Madame Tussaud's try to buy your ticket online, BEFORE you arrive there. It saves you at least of 1 hour queueing.

London Eye is definitely a must too. If you queue at Madame Tussaud's, you can buy tickets for London Eye and London's Dungeon there too and it saves you some money, I think 5%, so 5 pounds. They cost ya all three together cost you 50 pounds.

London's Dungeon is very cool if you are into horror stuff. Be careful not to arrive in the court and get judged :haha: It's fun though, but in summer it can smell a bit nasty ...

The Tower of London is only cool, if you like to see the Royal jewelery, otherwise it's a rip off.

You can go to the Wimbledon museum, but it's a bit far away ... I wasn't there so I dunno if it's worth

Try to catch the change of guards at the Buckingham Palace. They are every 2nd day, so check it online at what day it will be when you are there :D The park near the Buckingham Palace is also :cool:

Apart from that I guess you know already which are the usual suspects in the sightseeings (Big Ben, Picadilly Circus etc.)

Have fun :D

when i buy my London-Eye tickets online and before my trip does it mean i donīt have to wait in the long row?

Oizo
Apr 29th, 2008, 09:50 AM
when i buy my London-Eye tickets online and before my trip does it mean i donīt have to wait in the long row?
At Madame Tussaud's no, but at London Eye you have to wait in the queue, because there is no other way.

matthias
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:00 AM
At Madame Tussaud's no, but at London Eye you have to wait in the queue, because there is no other way.

thanks for the info, i may buy a London-Pass and all stuff i need online before

i will also go to Wimbledon, and pre-order a tour, same with Stamford-Bridge!

i was already at the Buckingham palace last year, and we have been lucky, we arrived there at the change of the guards

first we wondered why so many tourist there, but then it begun and then we knewed why - LOL

matthias
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:17 AM
1. Get an Oyster Card.

2. Be prepared for the fact that Wimbledon guided tour will probably be an anti-climax and get off at Southfields not Wimbledon.

3. If you want to go to a trendy market then go to Notting Hill Gate rather than Camden - though Camden is probably better, you'll have to balance that against the likelihood of someone offering to sell you crack every five minutes. Or Covent Garden otherwise maybe though it is smaller.

4. Old Compton Street.

5. Regent's Park.

I don't know what kind of stuff you want to do or see - three days is not a long time. Where are you staying ?

thanks for your input
i will stay at a IBIS-Hotel
Aldgate East is just few meter away, so it is perfect to travel with the Tube

last time i was a bit outside at the docklands, and the next Tube was nearly 1km away

watchdogfish
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:39 AM
A river sight-seeing cruise might be a nice idea as well. My friend and I chose it over the Eye because it was a cloudy day when we went. It's only about 45 mins long but you get to see a lot of the main sights like Houses of Parliament, St. Paul's Cathedral etc. There's commentary as well and it's cheaper than the Eye!

Other than that it really depends what you're into. All the museums are free unless there's an exhibition. I think the galleries are free too but I can't remember. Shakespeare might not sound that interesting but you could visit the Globe Theatre which they've rebuilt from the 1500s.

Make sure you visit as least one of the parks! Hyde Park is the biggest and there's lots of activities you can do on the Serpentine lake there, but for me personally Regent's Park is the prettiest :) and the zoo is there but it was really expensive when I last went. If you're into shopping there's Regent Street and Oxford Street but check out the markets at Camden and Covent Garden. If you go to Covent Garden though it's probably easiest if you get off at Leicester Square tube station as it's less crowded. Leicester Square also has some nice restaurants.

Hope you have a great time! :D

Philbo
Apr 29th, 2008, 03:01 PM
A river sight-seeing cruise might be a nice idea as well. My friend and I chose it over the Eye because it was a cloudy day when we went. It's only about 45 mins long but you get to see a lot of the main sights like Houses of Parliament, St. Paul's Cathedral etc. There's commentary as well and it's cheaper than the Eye!

Other than that it really depends what you're into. All the museums are free unless there's an exhibition. I think the galleries are free too but I can't remember. Shakespeare might not sound that interesting but you could visit the Globe Theatre which they've rebuilt from the 1500s.

Make sure you visit as least one of the parks! Hyde Park is the biggest and there's lots of activities you can do on the Serpentine lake there, but for me personally Regent's Park is the prettiest :) and the zoo is there but it was really expensive when I last went. If you're into shopping there's Regent Street and Oxford Street but check out the markets at Camden and Covent Garden. If you go to Covent Garden though it's probably easiest if you get off at Leicester Square tube station as it's less crowded. Leicester Square also has some nice restaurants.

Hope you have a great time! :D

I would advise against the restaurants in Leicester Square.. I find them all to be over priced and aimed at the tourist crowd. Better to look on Charlotte St which has heaps of nice places to eat. Wardour St also has some good ones in Soho...