PDA

View Full Version : No more WTAWORLD...

spiceboy
Apr 25th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Tennisforum.com? WTF? :fiery:

spiceboy
Apr 25th, 2008, 08:58 PM
WTA World is now TennisForum.com
<DIV id=post_message_46>Unfortunately, today we have to announce that we will no longer be able to call our site "WTAworld.com" and it will now be called "TennisForum.com Over the past few months, we have been in a legal battle with the WTA originating from a legal letter sent to us by the WTA and their lawfirm Kilpatrick Stockton. After using the WTAworld name for the past 6 years, the WTA decided to get their lawyers after us. Why? Well who knows why, but maybe because our site has become so popular that it threatens their "official" site. According to Alexa, our site is ranked 7,569 in the World, while their official site is at 5,757. Pretty close considering the marketing clout and sponsors they have compared to our forum. I guess now we are "competition" in their minds, and as such have to deal with their team of lawyers and attorneys. Initially, the WTA demanded we turn over the domain name WTAworld.com but thanks to our efforts we were able to reach a settlement agreement. While we had to make a difficult decision to discontinue using the name, its good to know that we didn't lose everything. We have attached copies of the WTA demand letter and lawsuit threats for everyone's viewing. Effective immediately, we have had to re-name the site "TennisForum.com" (it was another domain we had available). PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS as in 1-year's time, we will have to hand-over the domain name "WTAworld.com" to the WTA and their ownership. In three years time, they will have full control to do whatever they want with the domain, so we need to make sure we don't lose any members due to the confusion. Unfortunately, we have also had to make 2 other concessions in the settlement agreement: 1) we are no longer allowed to have vBookie, or any sort of simulated wagering or gambling on the website 2) we had to remove a specific thread that the WTA didn't like being posted up. Thankfully, we are now "settled" with the WTA, and TennisForum.com will live and continue to grow and prosper! Thank you for your years of support of WTAworld.com, and we look forward to seeing you on TennisForum.com If you feel the need to contact the WTA Tour their contact information is below: http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3...atour/contact/ (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/thewtatour/contact/) Corporate Headquarters One Progress Plaza Suite 1500 St. Petersburg, FL 33701 USA Phone:

spiceboy
Apr 25th, 2008, 08:58 PM
So which one is the removed thread? :eek:

swissmr
Apr 25th, 2008, 10:22 PM
End of an era :sad:

tennismaster8820
Apr 25th, 2008, 10:28 PM
:speakles: Is this for real?

Sean.
Apr 25th, 2008, 10:32 PM
damn I didn't even notice...

The WTA probably just pissed off it's most dedicated fans. Shame on them

svetaisthebest
Apr 25th, 2008, 10:39 PM
damn I didn't even notice...

The WTA probably just pissed off it's most dedicated fans. Shame on them

i know :tape::help:

tennismaster8820
Apr 25th, 2008, 10:58 PM
It changed now! :sobbing:
Why not to womenstennisforum?

RVD
Apr 25th, 2008, 10:59 PM
<DIV id=post_message_46>Unfortunately, today we have to announce that we will no longer be able to call our site "WTAworld.com" and it will now be called "TennisForum.com Over the past few months, we have been in a legal battle with the WTA originating from a legal letter sent to us by the WTA and their lawfirm Kilpatrick Stockton. After using the WTAworld name for the past 6 years, the WTA decided to get their lawyers after us. Why? Well who knows why, but maybe because our site has become so popular that it threatens their "official" site. According to Alexa, our site is ranked 7,569 in the World, while their official site is at 5,757. Pretty close considering the marketing clout and sponsors they have compared to our forum. I guess now we are "competition" in their minds, and as such have to deal with their team of lawyers and attorneys. Initially, the WTA demanded we turn over the domain name WTAworld.com but thanks to our efforts we were able to reach a settlement agreement. While we had to make a difficult decision to discontinue using the name, its good to know that we didn't lose everything. We have attached copies of the WTA demand letter and lawsuit threats for everyone's viewing. Effective immediately, we have had to re-name the site "TennisForum.com" (it was another domain we had available). PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS as in 1-year's time, we will have to hand-over the domain name "WTAworld.com" to the WTA and their ownership. In three years time, they will have full control to do whatever they want with the domain, so we need to make sure we don't lose any members due to the confusion. Unfortunately, we have also had to make 2 other concessions in the settlement agreement: 1) we are no longer allowed to have vBookie, or any sort of simulated wagering or gambling on the website 2) we had to remove a specific thread that the WTA didn't like being posted up. Thankfully, we are now "settled" with the WTA, and TennisForum.com will live and continue to grow and prosper! Thank you for your years of support of WTAworld.com, and we look forward to seeing you on TennisForum.com If you feel the need to contact the WTA Tour their contact information is below: http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3...atour/contact/ (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/thewtatour/contact/) Corporate Headquarters One Progress Plaza Suite 1500 St. Petersburg, FL 33701 USA Phone:Whoa! Just noticed the new URL. :lol:

Sounds like a bit of jealousy to me.
Oh well...they suck...we don't. :tape: So which one is the removed thread? :eek:I wonder if it's the thread on the WTA's involvement with IW, and the Williamses decision not to play there? :scared: Maybe we were too close to the truth.

swissmr
Apr 25th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Ok so they had to change the name but could they think of anything more original?

Natalicious
Apr 25th, 2008, 11:03 PM
this is so low from the wta...
they are just jealous because wtaworld has such a big community here, something wtatour can dream of

Ryan
Apr 25th, 2008, 11:38 PM
So typical of that shit organization. Who else thinks we should all boycott the "official site", crappy as it is?

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 25th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I need a hug... :bigcry:

kittyking
Apr 26th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I'll write them a letter this afternoon, its going to be fun :bounce: (for me I mean, probably not for them)

Pasta-Na
Apr 26th, 2008, 12:34 AM
oh... i was a bit surprised :sad:

kris719
Apr 26th, 2008, 12:43 AM
who cares, its still the same forum

Pasta-Na
Apr 26th, 2008, 01:01 AM
hope there wont be too many errors when we try to log in in the future.

[S@nti]
Apr 26th, 2008, 01:07 AM
fuck the WTA

this will always be WTAWORLD in our hearts :sad: ;)

spartanfan
Apr 26th, 2008, 01:08 AM
I feel like I need to get a shirt made up touting tennisforum.com and wear it through the USOpen grounds this year when I go just to advertise the site. I despise big business.

PatrickRyan
Apr 26th, 2008, 01:15 AM
That's to bad :(

lympyisthebest
Apr 26th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I also wanna know which thread was deleted.

Mattographer
Apr 26th, 2008, 01:50 AM
:speakles:

Edward.
Apr 26th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Dear WTA.

You fucking suck.

Ed.

Mattographer
Apr 26th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Does that means ATP starts invasion this message board? :unsure:

twight6
Apr 26th, 2008, 02:51 AM
I wrote them a letter :(

And it would be nice to know the deleted thread :tape:

Rocketta
Apr 26th, 2008, 03:05 AM
I feel like I need to get a shirt made up touting tennisforum.com and wear it through the USOpen grounds this year when I go just to advertise the site. I despise big business.

No we should wear a shirt that says www.tennisforum.com WTAWorld.com FOREVER. ;) Then people might ask you about it so you can explain what shits the WTA is. :)

drake3781
Apr 26th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Where did that letter in the OP come from? Who received it? Or is it posted somewhere? Whom is it from? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Why did they "have to" make these settlements?

Got rid of vBookie? Why?!?!?! If this is no longer WTAWorld, how can WTA have a voice on what goes on here?!?!

SvetaPleaseWin.
Apr 26th, 2008, 03:15 AM
the new name sucks :o

tenn_ace
Apr 26th, 2008, 05:07 AM
I just noticed that the name of this site changed and read why it did....... I find it extremely sad that THAT organization does not want to have anything in common with the largest community of TRUE supporters. Instead of helping this community grow (and by doing that promote themselves) they have chosen the path of confrontation. Normally, I would boycott an organization like that, but really feel like my hands are tied. I do go to that website to check the scores, H2H, stats. When I come here I discuss these scores, H2H and stats discuss and that's something the website of THAT organization cannot offer, so I'm not sure where these two sites really compete.

Anyways, Scott and his co just lost the little respect I have had left for them.

Experimentee
Apr 26th, 2008, 05:20 AM
I think its sad and pathetic from the WTA too. I remember when the ATP did that a few years ago and forced atpworld to change its name. These organisations are just control freaks with no common sense.

And what is the thread that had to be removed? When I read that I thought "please not be the TBE ranks thread" and it seems like it isn't, so I'm happy about that.

tenn_ace
Apr 26th, 2008, 05:25 AM
I think they mean the Tournament Committments thread...

I hope that mods let this thread stay open. WE DO NEED A PLACE TO VENT.

Direwolf
Apr 26th, 2008, 05:28 AM
i was shock as well
and i really find it depressing...
Tennis just seems so boring without Womens in it..

but also a part of me
know that those big greeedy company exist
and want to eat the tennis world themselves..

kris719
Apr 26th, 2008, 05:38 AM
omg seriously, notwithstanding a stupid name, the forum is exactly the same

Yasmine
Apr 26th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Yes you can vent ;) the announcement is here for those who haven't seen it yet: http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=340512.
And there is a venting thread in NT already as well.

So merging this one to there.

Poova
Apr 26th, 2008, 05:46 AM
:eek: What was this deleted thread? I really wanna know now. :lol:

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 26th, 2008, 05:59 AM
:rolleyes: that's retarded :smash:

Apoleb
Apr 26th, 2008, 06:02 AM
I just checked the announcement and all I can say is that at least someone takes WTAworld seriously.

justine schnyder
Apr 26th, 2008, 07:02 AM
That's sucks :o
WTA are so stupid.. This IS the largest community.. I hope the forum they'll launch won't be as as half big as this is..
WTA world 4 eva :rocker2: :sad:

(What was the deleting thread?? )

harloo
Apr 26th, 2008, 10:20 AM
The name change doesn't really concern me but the WTA asking threads to be closed is where the line should be drawn. I remember two incidents where one of the mods said the WTA asked them to close. The first one(if I'm not mistaken) was TBE's thread about the player entry list in New Haven, and the next one was criticizing Larry Scott on his performance.

I know they have legal recourse in regards to the name but why should the owners remove threads they find offensive? I would politely let them know they have no say in what is being posted here. :(

Mileen
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I just noticed that the name of this site changed and read why it did....... I find it extremely sad that THAT organization does not want to have anything in common with the largest community of TRUE supporters. Instead of helping this community grow (and by doing that promote themselves) they have chosen the path of confrontation. Normally, I would boycott an organization like that, but really feel like my hands are tied. I do go to that website to check the scores, H2H, stats. When I come here I discuss these scores, H2H and stats discuss and that's something the website of THAT organization cannot offer, so I'm not sure where these two sites really compete.

Anyways, Scott and his co just lost the little respect I have had left for them.

I think its sad and pathetic from the WTA too. I remember when the ATP did that a few years ago and forced atpworld to change its name. These organisations are just control freaks with no common sense.
And what is the thread that had to be removed?

I completely agree, just discovered it & came to the NT section just to see if there was a thread about it to VENT I am SHOCKED, it's just too ridiculous and REALLY pathetic. Larry Scot and co get worse by the day. Even :help: and :eek: fall short for that.
The only thing we can boycot is to at least never ever, ever again fill in their - stupid anyway - polls. I can only visit their site with resistance from now on. Why start a "fight" when there is no problem really?!?

Where did that letter in the OP come from? Who received it? Or is it posted somewhere? Whom is it from? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Why did they "have to" make these settlements?

Got rid of vBookie? Why?!?!?! If this is no longer WTAWorld, how can WTA have a voice on what goes on here?!?!

I was thinking the same: legally, they have ABSOLUTELY no right WHAT SO EVER to interfere with someone else's site, to forbid the vbookie section, even if we were called WTAWorld, just like we are not allowed to change Larry Scott's brown or black sofa in his living room into a modern bright pink one. It really surprises me wtaworld lawyers couldn't pull this off, and really shocked a judge fell for this and accepted this privacy violation, cq. violation of autonomy (fundamental law), cq. violation of freedom of speech, what is so proudly put at the forefront of the essence of the US. Vbookie-ing is completely innocent :confused:. IF their so called objective would be to ban betting (and it being associated with tennis), they're reaching just the opposite, since some people who were harmlessly acting out their human-nature-betting-urges :angel: into vbetting, might turn to the real betting instead :confused::confused:.
Also, the deleted thread :help::confused:, the only word in place here is censure :help: I must say hypersensitivity and naked arrogance also come to mind .... who the hell do LS & co ....?!
Also, if it's true they will use the site name wtaworld, then that's simply called stealing and plagiary, since they didn't come up with that name. At least, the site name shouldn't be used anymore. Forbidding someone else to use the name for their site is something entirely different from taking it over and using it yourself. The WTA doesn't own the term wtaworld, and certainly not automatically. So did they pay for it at least, big time?
Why the heck did the lawyer(s) of wtaworld loose (almost) every aspect of this case?

Mileen
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:19 AM
The name change doesn't really concern me but the WTA asking threads to be closed is where the line should be drawn. I remember two incidents where one of the mods said the WTA asked them to close. The first one(if I'm not mistaken) was TBE's thread about the player entry list in New Haven, and the next one was criticizing Larry Scott on his performance.

I know they have legal recourse in regards to the name but why should the owners remove threads they find offensive? I would politely let them know they have no say in what is being posted here. :(

true :worship:

mankind
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I just checked the announcement and all I can say is that at least someone takes WTAworld seriously.

:rolls:

Just Do It
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:31 AM
LONG LIVE TENNISFORUM !!!!

WTA :rolleyes:

Just Do It
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I am wondering since this is a tennis forum now, are we allowed to open ATP threads ? ( I hope not ) :unsure:

blackcrave
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:37 AM
what happened?

RandomShot
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Instead of helping this community grow (and by doing that promote themselves) they have chosen the path of confrontation.

That put what I was thinking into words :yeah:

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 26th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I don't consider it all Larry Scott's fault.
There are players and former players watching this forum.
I'm pretty sure of it now.

Yasmine
Apr 26th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I am wondering since this is a tennis forum now, are we allowed to open ATP threads ? ( I hope not ) :unsure:
That isn't going to change I don't think (otherwise we would seriously fear for a law suit wouldn't we? :devil: )

tennnisfannn
Apr 26th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I don't consider it all Larry Scott's fault.
There are players and former players watching this forum.
I'm pretty sure of it now.
The only players who should never come into this site are Serena, Venus, Justine, Maria otherwise they will be traumatised for life. Ana currently should tread carefully. Otherwise we are pretty nice to everyone till they do the unthinkable and start winning slams;)

azmad_88
Apr 26th, 2008, 02:05 PM
thanks wtaworld for the great 4 years you gave me, hopefully tennisforum will give me better years ahead... i will miss wtaworld :sad:

Shoulderpova
Apr 26th, 2008, 02:14 PM
WTAworld :sad::hug::smooch:
I will always type wtaworld.com when I want to open the website :)
tennisforum.com :ras:

hablo
Apr 26th, 2008, 07:26 PM
<DIV id=post_message_46>Unfortunately, today we have to announce that we will no longer be able to call our site "WTAworld.com" and it will now be called "TennisForum.com Over the past few months, we have been in a legal battle with the WTA originating from a legal letter sent to us by the WTA and their lawfirm Kilpatrick Stockton. After using the WTAworld name for the past 6 years, the WTA decided to get their lawyers after us. Why? Well who knows why, but maybe because our site has become so popular that it threatens their "official" site. According to Alexa, our site is ranked 7,569 in the World, while their official site is at 5,757. Pretty close considering the marketing clout and sponsors they have compared to our forum. I guess now we are "competition" in their minds, and as such have to deal with their team of lawyers and attorneys. Initially, the WTA demanded we turn over the domain name WTAworld.com but thanks to our efforts we were able to reach a settlement agreement. While we had to make a difficult decision to discontinue using the name, its good to know that we didn't lose everything. We have attached copies of the WTA demand letter and lawsuit threats for everyone's viewing. Effective immediately, we have had to re-name the site "TennisForum.com" (it was another domain we had available). PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS as in 1-year's time, we will have to hand-over the domain name "WTAworld.com" to the WTA and their ownership. In three years time, they will have full control to do whatever they want with the domain, so we need to make sure we don't lose any members due to the confusion. Unfortunately, we have also had to make 2 other concessions in the settlement agreement: 1) we are no longer allowed to have vBookie, or any sort of simulated wagering or gambling on the website 2) we had to remove a specific thread that the WTA didn't like being posted up. Thankfully, we are now "settled" with the WTA, and TennisForum.com will live and continue to grow and prosper! Thank you for your years of support of WTAworld.com, and we look forward to seeing you on TennisForum.com If you feel the need to contact the WTA Tour their contact information is below: http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3...atour/contact/ (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/thewtatour/contact/) Corporate Headquarters One Progress Plaza Suite 1500 St. Petersburg, FL 33701 USA Phone:

:speakles:
Whoa! Just noticed the new URL. :lol:

Sounds like a bit of jealousy to me.
Oh well...they suck...we don't. :tape: I wonder if it's the thread on the WTA's involvement with IW, and the Williamses decision not to play there? :scared: Maybe we were too close to the truth.
Maybe.
I think they mean the Tournament Committments thread...

That sucks. Boooo Wtatour organisors. :fiery:

Destiny
Apr 26th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Sucks to that

Hope atp threads don't start to sip into here!!

Sean.
Apr 26th, 2008, 09:41 PM
The deleted threads, could be:

- Something/Speculation about players WTA doesn't like (Hingis coke? Sexual Orientation?)
- Something/Speculating about WTa they don't like (Insulting LS?)
- Critisising of tornaments (IW - Williams? doha's joke of a website?)
- Something that tarnishes the reputation of WTA (couldn't think of anything there)

Just a few ideas.

Perhaps a mod could drop us a hint, but not actually tell us;)

EDIT: Entry Lists are banned (apparently)...I suppose the WTA doesn't want to highlight the fact so many people pull out!

there was a thread that dated back to 2006. I deleted the thread the sake day I disabled vBookie. Done forgot what the thread was all about. It was fairly large.

There was that thread 'what does the girl at the top look like to you' with WTA WORLD in the picture.

Sean.
Apr 26th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I completely agree, just discovered it & came to the NT section just to see if there was a thread about it to VENT I am SHOCKED, it's just too ridiculous and REALLY pathetic. Larry Scot and co get worse by the day. Even :help: and :eek: fall short for that.
The only thing we can boycot is to at least never ever, ever again fill in their - stupid anyway - polls. I can only visit their site with resistance from now on. Why start a "fight" when there is no problem really?!?

I was thinking the same: legally, they have ABSOLUTELY no right WHAT SO EVER to interfere with someone else's site, to forbid the vbookie section, even if we were called WTAWorld, just like we are not allowed to change Larry Scott's brown or black sofa in his living room into a modern bright pink one. It really surprises me wtaworld lawyers couldn't pull this off, and really shocked a judge fell for this and accepted this privacy violation, cq. violation of autonomy (fundamental law), cq. violation of freedom of speech, what is so proudly put at the forefront of the essence of the US. Vbookie-ing is completely innocent :confused:. IF their so called objective would be to ban betting (and it being associated with tennis), they're reaching just the opposite, since some people who were harmlessly acting out their human-nature-betting-urges :angel: into vbetting, might turn to the real betting instead :confused::confused:.
Also, the deleted thread :help::confused:, the only word in place here is censure :help: I must say hypersensitivity and naked arrogance also come to mind .... who the hell do LS & co ....?!
Also, if it's true they will use the site name wtaworld, then that's simply called stealing and plagiary, since they didn't come up with that name. At least, the site name shouldn't be used anymore. Forbidding someone else to use the name for their site is something entirely different from taking it over and using it yourself. The WTA doesn't own the term wtaworld, and certainly not automatically. So did they pay for it at least, big time?
Why the heck did the lawyer(s) of wtaworld loose (almost) every aspect of this case?

Sorry to contradict you but they do...they have the name trademarked, which means they have sole rights to it.

From reading through the documentation it sounds like WTA claimed wtaworld was using the name to gain money through advertising revenue by association.

I would not like to imagine how much this cost the site in reparations.

As for the v-bookie, the only thing I can thing of would be that the WTA claimed it tarnished their image by encouraging gambling (in light of the recent atp match fixing). But that is a weak claim, but I understand it was a condition that had to be met to avoid going to court. Perhaps real gambling sites were complaining as people were virtually betting rather than real?

Wonder what BJK would say?

*JR*
Apr 26th, 2008, 10:30 PM
While I made some comments about this ITT http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=340512 (the thread Yasmine also referred to) I'd also like to note the following, esp. if the WTA demanded that a critical thread here be removed.

The NFL certainly "doesn't give much away for free". (As in subscriptions to NFL Sunday Ticket on satellite and to NFL Network on cable). But even they post columns saying that a team or a player stank (or worse) in columns that they post on their own website. Given that, I think Larry Scott (lscott@wtatour.com) has the personality of a petty dictator.

Denise4925
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Well, personally I was wondering when this was going to happen. I thought however though that the WTAworld organizers got permission to use the acronym "WTA". Anyway, I'm glad to see that things got settled without having to go to court.

Even though the site has a new name, it's not the name that makes the site, it's the people that frequent it. In light of that fact, this site will always be WTAworld.com because that's who we are and nothing can change that in our hearts. So what we have to bookmark a different name? :shrug: It doesn't take anything away from the site.

Lastly, why can't we know which thread had to be removed? Wouldn't it be wiser to let us know so that we don't open another one like it in the future? :hehehe:

WTAworld.com FOREVER!!!! :)

Optima
Apr 27th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Are you serious :o

Always will be wtaworld in my heart :angel:

drake3781
Apr 27th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Now that WTA has done such a drastic move, and this board is indeed separated, I think we are probably allowed to post Entry Lists again. The settlement is over and WTA is in no way linked to this board or has right to control it. Right?

Jakeev
Apr 27th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I was a little stunned by the annoucement about the lawsuit with this site and WTA. But frankly I could care less what we call this place.

I've been here since the old site crash and I found this site after 9/11 at a time when I wasn't sure if people I loved conversing with could actually have been gone after the attacks.

My loyality will always stay here.

God bless this site and I hope it's around for years too come.

Mikey.
Apr 27th, 2008, 09:13 AM
:hug:

Adal
Apr 27th, 2008, 09:35 AM
:hug:

lee station
Apr 27th, 2008, 09:53 AM
who cares, its still the same forum
same opinion. it's just that i've been away from the comp. for a few days and didn't expect it

tennnisfannn
Apr 27th, 2008, 09:54 AM
www.worldwta.com (http://www.worldwta.com) would have been nice

lee station
Apr 27th, 2008, 09:55 AM
dramones y mazmorras

Mikey.
Apr 27th, 2008, 09:56 AM

:spit: It still has 'WTA' in it though. I think that was the problem in the first place. :lol:

*JR*
Apr 27th, 2008, 06:25 PM
How about http://www.tennisbitches.com? :p

Incidentally, drake's point about the Entry Lists makes some sense. After all, they were available B4 because someone in the WTA chose to "leak" them to Eggy. (As someone else there once gave me a bunch of player email addresses, which I might just decide to post unless the Admins say I shouldn't).

In other words, maybe Larry & Co. should see that being heavy-handed with media (of which this board is a type) probably because they were negotiating with Tennis Warehouse to get paid for the official forum status means that media they "cut out of the loop" is no longer under their thumb.

On a related note, the WTA has developed an ever more incestuous relationship with IMG, which negotiated the Sony-Ericsson title sponsorship. In addition to the "corporate incest" in IMG both owning events (thus being the "employer" of the players there) and being the agent for many, thus representing the "employees".

Of course Octagon does the same regarding both owning events and representing players. One difference is that except for AI, Octagon's events for women are in Europe and except for the Paris Indoor, IMG's are in the US.

And speaking of tournaments, the scroll down for drawsheets on the WTA's own website lists all events (except Slams) by location, not the title sponsor. (And of course we, the tour, the players, coaches, etc. refer to them by location).

So unless Verticalscope gets paid to put the event sponsors' names on the homepage and in the tournament forums, it should just (for example) say "Berlin", not "Qatar Telecom German Open".

griffin
Apr 27th, 2008, 10:00 PM
(As someone else there once gave me a bunch of player email addresses, which I might just decide to post unless the Admins say I shouldn't).

On the record: you shouldn't. Don't. (and I would think you'd understand that)

Speaking of entry lists, since the tour's clearly not interested in playing nice in the sandbox with us, I wonder why we should bother playing nice with them. Wonder how VScope would feel about letting Egg post them.

twight6
Apr 27th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I don't understand the discussion about entry lists :confused:

Can someone explain what happened/is happening?

hablo
Apr 28th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Now that WTA has done such a drastic move, and this board is indeed separated, I think we are probably allowed to post Entry Lists again. The settlement is over and WTA is in no way linked to this board or has right to control it. Right?

Good question.

Denise4925
Apr 28th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Good question.

It depends on the terms of the settlement agreement. There may be a provision that requires WTAworld.com never to have a thread like that on the message board again. If one pops up to immediately remove it. I don't know. :shrug: I'd love to know exactly what the thread was that was required to be removed though.

HippityHop
Apr 28th, 2008, 02:09 AM
It depends on the terms of the settlement agreement. There may be a provision that requires WTAworld.com never to have a thread like that on the message board again. If one pops up to immediately remove it. I don't know. :shrug: I'd love to know exactly what the thread was that was required to be removed though.

So would I. But the demise of Sanex was survived and so will this be.

The WTA is a bit silly though. I wonder if we blasted, blogged and debated this throughout the MSM (at least those who give a fat rat's ass about Women's tennis) how the WTA would react.

Frankly, I don't care about the site's name but the idea that the WTA doesn't realize that they are alienating their most avid fan base seems odd to me.

Nervenbuendel
Apr 28th, 2008, 05:56 AM
WTA-World has been a tremendous story of "dark-horse" success in terms of attendance, concerning the fact that this website has established itself in the Top 8000 of the whole world's net appearances.

The WTA-tour seems to be afraid of this competition in many ways, e. g. with regard to clicks, advertisements, emotional spirit and up-to-date content :rolleyes:

So what did they do? Take the name "WTA" off the community in order to gather all the search-engines results again - this is so poor and heartless. :o

Yasmine
Apr 28th, 2008, 01:23 PM
For info to the people who asked what thread was closed. The forum manager truebluefan answered himself he didn't remember and none of us in the mod teams knows :lol:

Avid Merrion
Apr 28th, 2008, 01:31 PM
For info to the people who asked what thread was closed. The forum manager truebluefan answered himself he didn't remember and none of us in the mod teams knows :lol:

:lol: surely all he has to do is look through the correspondence and see which thread was asked to be removed? i think he's forgetting on purpose here....;)

Shuji Shuriken
Apr 28th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Pathetic. Fucking pathetic :sobbing: :bigcry: :sobbing:. You will always be WTAWorld in my heart. We have to keep making this site bigger and better. Like everyone is saying, the name change doesn't matter that much, except for sentimental reasons :(. But I hope this site continues to expand and attract sponsors, so that when Retard Scott drops by in the future (I hope you're reading this asshole), he'll see a banner marked KISS MY ASS directed at him. Let's keep this site going forever :hearts:. I love you guys (even if I hate you) :hearts:.

Calvin M.
May 10th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I wasn't why my bookmark wouldn't work! Anyway, sh*t happens and it sounds by the explanation that it was really a case of sour grapes that an unofficial site was thriving. You'd think the WTA would be happy to have fans who take to the net to talk about tennis but as Prince wrote a couple of decades ago "money changes everything".