PDA

View Full Version : Texas officials believe another 25 moms at sect are under 18

drake3781
Apr 24th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Texas officials believe another 25 moms at sect are under 18
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: April 24, 2008

Filed at 5:25 p.m. ET
SAN ANGELO, Texas (AP) -- The number of children in Texas custody after being taken from a polygamist (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/p/polygamy/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) retreat now stands at 462 because officials believe another 25 mothers from the compound are under 18.
Child Protective Services spokesman Darrell Azar says the girls initially claimed to be adults but are now in state custody. Earlier they had been staying voluntarily with their children at a shelter at the San Angelo Coliseum.
The official number of children taken from the ranch controlled by the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/f/fundamentalist_church_of_jesus_christ_of_latterday _saints/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) has been rising since a state raid three weeks ago. One reason is that some mothers under 18 claimed to be adults.
Roughly 260 children remain at the coliseum. The others were bused to foster facilities.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Polygamist-Retreat.html

kiwifan
Apr 24th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I'm looking forward to all the DNA tests. :tape:

drake3781
Apr 24th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I'm looking forward to all the DNA tests. :tape:

:tape:

============

Sexual consent

Results could have legal implications, including any evidence for possible statutory rape, which includes individuals below a certain age deemed legally incapable of consenting to sexual activity.

In Texas, 17 is the minimum age, making it illegal for anyone under the age of 17 to engage in sexual activity with another who is at least three years their elder. (An individual must be at least 16 years old to enter into a legal marriage in Texas.)

"Now not only can we look at alleged relationships between parents and their children," said Robert Allen, a professor of biochemistry at Oklahoma State University, "but now we can look at alleged sibships [siblings], alleged half-sibships [half brothers and sisters]."

To find a male child's father, researchers will look for match-ups in DNA (http://www.livescience.com/health/060529_mm_genes.html) markers found on the Y sex chromosome, which is passed down from fathers to their sons.

"All males descended from a common male and female ancestor would have exactly the same Y chromosome passed unchanged from generation to generation," said Allen, who is also director of the Human Identity Testing Laboratory. "So I will have the same Y chromosome as my brother, father, son, paternal uncle, paternal cousin."

Mothers can be linked to children with DNA found in the cells' energy-producing structures called mitochondria.

The mitochondria hold a separate set of genes passed down from mothers to their offspring.

Based on the age of the child, officials could then figure out how old the mother was at the time of conception and the age of the father.

The information will be news only to officials, as the mothers and children within this Mormon sect know who's who.

"It's not a free-love community. These children are being raised by their mothers. It's the father who may be having multiple wives. All these children know who their father is and who their mother is," said Stuart Wright, a professor of sociology at Lamar University in Texas.

"The question is whether some of these women were under legal age when they were either married or impregnated," he added. "I think that's what the DNA tests are probably going to try to show."

drake3781
Apr 28th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Officials: 31 of 53 girls from sect ranch have been pregnant

By MICHELLE ROBERTS – 3 hours ago

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Texas child welfare officials say more than half the teen girls swept into state custody from a polygamist sect's ranch have been pregnant.

Child Protective Services spokesman Darrell Azar says 53 girls between the ages of 14 and 17 were living on the ranch in Eldorado. Of that group, 31 already have children or are pregnant.

State officials took custody of all 463 children at the Yearning For Zion Ranch more than three weeks ago after a raid prompted by calls to a domestic violence hotline.

Child welfare officials say there was a pattern of underage girls forced into "spiritual marriages" with much older men at the ranch.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 28th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Officials: 31 of 53 girls from sect ranch have been pregnant

By MICHELLE ROBERTS – 3 hours ago

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Texas child welfare officials say more than half the teen girls swept into state custody from a polygamist sect's ranch have been pregnant.

Child Protective Services spokesman Darrell Azar says 53 girls between the ages of 14 and 17 were living on the ranch in Eldorado. Of that group, 31 already have children or are pregnant.

State officials took custody of all 463 children at the Yearning For Zion Ranch more than three weeks ago after a raid prompted by calls to a domestic violence hotline.

Child welfare officials say there was a pattern of underage girls forced into "spiritual marriages" with much older men at the ranch.

That really is fucked up.
At the same time I think Lou Dobbs has a found a way to keep whites the majority over hispanics. :tape:
I guess the slogan would be, if you can't beat them, join them and then take it to the most morallly corrupt point you can.