PDA

View Full Version : Thread For Champagne Connaisseurs

Denise4925
Apr 24th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Champagne is my favorite alcoholic drink. Since I started sipping it in 1985 on a regular basis, I think of myself as a connoisseur of sorts. I can tell if a champagne is real champagne or sparkling wine. I can tell what brand it is. I can tell if it is brute or extra dry. I can tell of it's overchilled (burned) or chilled at the right temperature.

Now, I haven't had all champagnes, but I've tried different kinds, from expensive to cheap and there is a BIG difference. :lol: I simply will not drink anything that says Andre or Asti Spumanti. :tape::help: My all time favorite is Perrier Jouet Grand Brut. It's light, crisp and fruity. Ahhhhh...love it. :lol: I'm not a fan of Dom Perignon. For me it's a little too heavy on the aftertaste. I don't think it's good for sipping. I don't know. I do like it's cheaper cousin Chandon. It's a little heavy too, but it's better than Friexenet and Korbel (sparkling wines from Spain and Cali respectively). However, if Friex or Korbel is all they have in the grocery store, I'll get it. Or, if I'm low on funds or just don't want to spend $25 on a bottle of champagne for some sipping on during the week after work, I'll get either.

The champagne I'm most anxious to try and hope I do before I die is Cristal. I just haven't had a good enough reason or celebration to buy a $200 bottle of champagne. :lol:

What's your favorite and let's discuss champagnes and sparkling wines. Tell me some you've tried and liked or loathed.

Denise4925
Apr 24th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Bump -

Doesn't anyone drink champagne?? :eek:

Denise4925
Apr 27th, 2008, 12:38 AM
:lol: I'm bumping this for the last time, hoping there is someone out there that drinks champagne. :p

Yasmine
Apr 27th, 2008, 12:42 AM
I do, pretty much the only alcoholic drink I have :p quite rarely though.
And to be called champagne there is a specific area in which the grapes need to come from and can only be made of some sorts of grapes as well (chardonnay, pinot noir and pinot meunier I think :scared: -don't ask for the english names that would be too much to ask of my vocabulary)

Denise4925
Apr 27th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I do, pretty much the only alcoholic drink I have :p quite rarely though.
And to be called champagne there is a specific area in which the grapes need to come from and can only be made of some sorts of grapes as well (chardonnay, pinot noir and pinot meunier I think :scared: -don't ask for the english names that would be too much to ask of my vocabulary)

Yeah, I know. I'm not much into the history as much as I'm into the taste :p

I thought the grapes had to come from the region or town of Champagne, France. IDK. :shrug: I know sparkling wines are made from the "champagne methode"

What are your faves Yasmine?

Yasmine
Apr 27th, 2008, 12:50 AM
champagne is a region in France ;) around the city of Reims.
I went there once and visited actually 2 caves of champagne and had a tour with an explanation of how champagne is made and all that.

Don't have any particular favourites. I like the semi dry ones (not too fond of bitter)

Denise4925
Apr 27th, 2008, 12:53 AM
champagne is a region in France ;) around the city of Reims.
I went there once and visited actually 2 caves of champagne and had a tour with an explanation of how champagne is made and all that.

Don't have any particular favourites. I like the semi dry ones (not too fond of bitter)

Wow, that must have been exciting. Did you get to taste any of the champagnes made there?

Do you guys get any of the US sparkling wines over in France or would that be an insult to your palate? :lol:

Denise4925
Apr 27th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the rep Yasmine. :lol: And for correcting my english spelling to french, since we are talking about Champagne, n'est pa. :p

Yasmine
Apr 27th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Of course there was tasting (and buying of course:o) involved :p

Well I dunno if it's insulting :lol: I hardly ever drink alcohol, and it's either a local wine from here I like a lot or champagne and like half a glass so I am not the best person to ask that :p

Dementieva_Dude
Apr 27th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I like champagne and sparkling wines. When I was in University (and would drink anything) I drank a lot of Spumanti Bambino...now that I'm a little bit older I really like Veuve Clicquot, although I am too cheap to buy it on a regular basis.

Denise4925
Apr 27th, 2008, 01:16 AM
I like champagne and sparkling wines. When I was in University (and would drink anything) I drank a lot of Spumanti Bambino...now that I'm a little bit older I really like Veuve Clicquot, although I am too cheap to buy it on a regular basis.

Oh, that's a good one. Also one of my faves. I think it runs about $50 to $60 US dollars here. As you saw in my first post, I can't drink anything with Spumanti in the name. :lol: