PDA

View Full Version : Loosing Weight

supergrunt
Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
I'm trying to shed significant pounds this spring and this summer. Share some of your success stories and diet tips :) !

Destiny
Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
Play tennis alot thats how i lost half a stone :)

kwilliams
Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Eat in a reclined position. You digest your food much slower. It gives me a little indigestion though. This is something I just discovered a few days ago.

Also drink a lot of water with really starchy foods. Starch is hygroscopic so it kind of fill you up. If you over do it you just feel bloated and unpleasant though.

Also dance manically or maniacally, it's an easy way to exercise and it's probably better to lose fat before putting on muscle and it's a dancing is kind of like aerobic and cardio exercise (I think) and they are the best way to shed fat.

Most of my friends are obsessed with their weight so my best advice is not to put too much pressure on yourself and set realistic goals. Don't get obsessed.

supergrunt
Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:48 PM
Eat in a reclined position. You digest your food much slower. It gives me a little indigestion though. This is something I just discovered a few days ago.

Also drink a lot of water with really starchy foods. Starch is hygroscopic so it kind of fill you up. If you over do it you just feel bloated and unpleasant though.

Also dance manically or maniacally, it's an easy way to exercise and it's probably better to lose fat before putting on muscle and it's a dancing is kind of like aerobic and cardio exercise (I think) and they are the best way to shed fat.

Most of my friends are obsessed with their weight so my best advice is not to put too much pressure on yourself and set realistic goals. Don't get obsessed.

:)

Rocketta
Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:11 PM
eat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up. It kick starts your metabolism. Don't eat at least 3 hours before bed time.

V.Melb
Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:22 PM
Is english ur first language?

Losing - not .... Loosing. ;)

matthias
Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:32 PM
havin a lot of sex? at least for men it works ;)

Uranium
Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:34 PM
Is english ur first language?

Losing - not .... Loosing. ;)

i was wondering, isn't supergrunt American, why is he spelling it like an Australian?:lol:
I say do 8 minute abs and run daily

Helen Lawson
Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:38 PM
Eat less, work out every day.

ImaVeggie
Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
^^^
I agree. The only way to lose weight is to expend more calories than you take in. So...

Eat Less & Move More.

samsung101
Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:10 PM
I stopped drinking any alcohol, not that I drank a lot.
But, I just gave up on the margaritas and Coronas on the
weekend altogether.

Alcohol in general is just very fattening, a waste of calories.

Subsequently, the snacking on chips and salsa, and nachos with
cheese, and buffalo wings, declined with that. They just don't
taste as good w/o the margarita.

Don't eat much after 8:00 p.m. anymore.
Which is tough for me, I loved snacking on Triscuits and
almonds late at night. But, I've almost cut that out completely.

Cheese, I had to cut that almost out completely. I love cheese on
everything. But, that made a huge difference.

I reward myself with something with cheese once in a while.
Taco or tostada or fideo smothered in cheese - about once every
two weeks. Instead, of like, every day.

Oatmeal. Sounds funny. I started eating plain oatmeal with a little
honey for breakfast.

I walk every day. Not fast, just make myself do it, about 45 to 60 minutes
a day.

Water. Lots of it, all day long. Green tea, lots of it.

Moderation - half a sandwich, half a hamburger, half the fries,
half a candy bar....just cut things in half when you can......

Schnyderfreak
Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:16 PM
^^^
I agree. The only way to lose weight is to expend more calories than you take in. So...

Eat Less & Move More.

and one way to take less calories in is by drastically cutting down or completely quitting drinking soda's and taking sparkling water instead.
Make sure there's no cookie jar or candy bar and eat alot of vegetables and fish. eat the healthy meats like chicken and turkey and in the beginning dont even think about eating pork meat(high fat%).
If you have a dog take it for a walk after having dinners for at least 20 mins
Do this in combination with alot of sports like twice or three times a week (make time for it it's worth it not only to lose weight!!)
doing your abs every second day and after a while every day and you'll get there.
This will take between a month or six weeks before you'll see the real results that's why you have to be strong in th beginning.

Sally Struthers
Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:21 PM
burn off more calories than you take in

drake3781
Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:25 PM
weekend altogether.

honey for breakfast.

a day.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Helen Lawson
Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
burn off more calories than you take in

Sally, I'm surprised you haven't been approached by Jenny Craig or someone to be a celebrity endorser. You're way bigger, in the star sense of course, than Kirstie Alley or Valerie Bertinelli. You can't GIVE AWAY dvds of Cheers or One Day at a Time, but All in the Family is always a top amazon best seller.

abercrombieguy23
Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Eat 6 small meals a day.....about every 3 hours or so....

Drink Green Teas/Oolong tea instead of pop/sugary drinks

Do cardio 3-4 times a week doing something you enjoy whether its tennis, dancing, swimming etc.

Sally Struthers
Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
Sally, I'm surprised you haven't been approached by Jenny Craig or someone to be a celebrity endorser. You're way bigger, in the star sense of course, than Kirstie Alley or Valerie Bertinelli. You can't GIVE AWAY dvds of Cheers or One Day at a Time, but All in the Family is always a top amazon best seller.

I always thought it would be hypocritical of me to do charity work for starving children in Africa while starving myself to lose weight. :angel:

can someone change the damn title too? It's bugging me. LOSING! :fiery:

Dodoboy.
Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:18 PM
What are you doing now?

supergrunt
Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
weekend altogether.

honey for breakfast.

a day.

No cheese...:(?

supergrunt
Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
What are you doing now?

I did some walking a while ago. Then I had pp and j for lunch because I was told that it is not that bad.

supergrunt
Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Fine.. I will try to change the title :rolleyes: !

saint2
Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:31 PM
weekend altogether.

Sorry for comming, but thats false unfortunetly...Alcohol not doing much damages at organism...More- its very healthly- they greatest football managers and coaches said that its better for players to drinking beer than drinking cola- that is fat evil- hamburgers, coca cola, fastfoods etc. If You want to lose weight, You must first stopped eating fastfood things. They are bloody fat and can made a disaster in organism. Not nessesary to stop drinking alcohol....

SvetaPleaseWin.
Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:31 PM
put the hamburger down and start running :p

if you really want to lose weight and keep it off then you have to change your lifestyle-diets are ok in the short term but eventually you'll want to start eating like a normal person again

cut down on all the good stuff like carbs and alcohol, start doing some exercise and the weight will fall off (in theory anyways)

A_S
Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:00 PM
seriously join a gym or something and always think before you eat, i have lost 2 stone in 2 months by following this routine.

Burning 700-800 calories in the gym over an hour every other day and cutting out lunch when you feel you havent done enough to burn the calories your going to eat, e.g sitting at a desk in the office or watching tv at home. Then take tea (or whatever americans call it, i think thats quite an english word!) earlier if you feel the need, but once its over dont eat before bed, have a drink of squash instead if your feeling peckish or go and do something else, something where you dont think about hunger. Its not that hard to stick to but you have to work hard in the gym and it does seem to work for me. I always try to play tennis or go swimming on the days in between too but that doesnt make a lot of difference.

IceHock
Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:09 PM
im actually gunna do the same, i weigh 185 and want 170, so i have it planned for alot of tennis and soccer this summer, no soda, sticking to water G2.

mc8114
Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:14 PM
do not mix carbohydrates with proteins in your meals
a bit difficult but can be done
will make you feel great

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:21 PM
weekend altogether.

honey for breakfast.

a day.

Sweetie, you can have your almonds, I have never heard of a diet saying that almonds are fattening, most prefer you eat them.

They're a very good alternative for heavy pasta sauce.

Just put a few parts of almonds on some pasta with a little EVOO.

Oatmeal really isn't odd.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:29 PM
I lost a lot of weight last summer playing tennis and getting rid of any bread out of my diet.

My thighs aren't thunderous as I would like them though for my summer squarecuts so I'm going to gain part of it back.

drake3781
Apr 24th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Hmmm... the tennis advice is surprising to me, because I have found by experience that you cannot lose weight playing tennis.

I was playing 3-4 times a week, but had to add weight workouts twice a week and a serious cutdown on calories to start losing weight.

I think the tennis is good to keep you moving and busy so you are not eating at that time. But don't think it is a will help to lose weight.

I think there is a lot of good advice here in this thread. I would add some.

1. Diet
- Do not eat any of the following - soft drinks, juice, butter, margarine, cheese (except grated on pasta), salad dressing (squeeze lime onto it instead), mayonnaise, red meat.
- Any sandwich, you take the top bread off.
- Eat small snack within one hour of getting up, healthy moderate breakfast, snack, healthy moderate lunch, snack, healthy moderate dinner. So that is three healthy moderate meals, and three snacks. The snack would be something like carrots and string cheese, or oatmeal and berries. The meal would be something like 4 oz salmon and lots of vegetables/salad, or a veggie burger with the top off, and steamed broccoli.

2. Exercise - simple and quick but you are gonna do it 4-6 days per week.

Weights - two to three times per week for 20-30 minutes (come up with a routine).
Cardio - elliptical, treadmill, running, etc - again two to three times per week for 20-30 minutes. If you can run OK, do 2 miles.
Stretch/Yoga - do this for 30 minutes any day you are not doing weights or cardio (and do it the other days too if you can).

skanky~skanketta
Apr 24th, 2008, 03:51 AM
I don't usually diet much or excercise much cuz my clothes normally fit, but whenever my clothes start getting a little tighter, I immediately go on a two week diet where I have a heavy breakfast: Grilled cheese sandwich and a waffle with honey and peanut butter. I then have a light lunch at around two consisting of a chicken salad with a lot of greens. I have lesser dressing though. For dinner, I have a strawberry smoothie (homemade), a mango and two oranges. I usually lose around 4-5 kgs in two weeks. I completely cut out rice from my diet (Asian staple food). If I really need a drink (I hate tea, coffee but love sweet canned sodas) I usually get fresh juice. Sounds pretty easy, but only fruits for dinner when there's rice and curry right in front of you can be quite hard.

Excercise wise I play about an hour of tennis 2 times a week and ping pong for an hour on Saturdays.

Expat
Apr 24th, 2008, 05:04 AM
mine is a bit drastic but it worked for me
this was in the phase when i was in denial of being gay
and did everything possible to look unattractive
so that no one would approach me
i was like 200 pounds fat and came down to 140 pounds after 2 years of dieting
the dieting was very strict
morning oatmeal
afternoon fruit salad
evening salad + orange juice
thats it
then everyone felt i looked sickly and i gained 15 pounds since i moved to the states

lets be honest
exercise never works only strict dieting does

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 24th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Hmmm... the tennis advice is surprising to me, because I have found by experience that you cannot lose weight playing tennis.

I was playing 3-4 times a week, but had to add weight workouts twice a week and a serious cutdown on calories to start losing weight.

I think the tennis is good to keep you moving and busy so you are not eating at that time. But don't think it is a will help to lose weight.

I think there is a lot of good advice here in this thread. I would add some.

You can lose weight by playing tennis.
The fluids you have to make up in playing after a day for me was hard to me to make up.
Last summer my tennis buddy used me as a gym and I was the one who lost the most weight.

adam_ads_n
Apr 24th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Green tea is magic! I lost like 20 kilograms in 5 months eating everything and drinking green tea instead of coke or other soft drinks. it's helpful.

Pdm1987
Apr 24th, 2008, 03:17 PM
dust.

Calvin M.
May 10th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I'm trying to shed significant pounds this spring and this summer. Share some of your success stories and diet tips :) !

Success stories

I lost 60 lbs over 5 yrs (2003 weight: 220; current weight: 158)

Diet tips

-Exercise regularly.
-Accept the fact you will have to deprive yourself to lose weight.
-If you're not going to exercise, count calories (1300-1600 a day).
-If you get weak and have to have "bad" food, do it but consider that your meal for the day. You're on raw or steamed vegetables for the rest of the day. That way you get what you want (that "bad" meal) and your diet gets what it needs!
-Write a list of all the "bad" food (from protein to carbs to to desserts to condiments) that you LOVE and all the "bad" food that you LIKE. Those on the LIKE list, you will NOT have. Those on the LOVE list you WILL have...but only once a month...IN ROTATION. This means that bacon cheese burger that you love, you'll only have about 6 times a year. And NOPE you cannot have fries with that. haha BUT...the fries you can get another time because you should stick to a 'one carb per meal rule'. You can't have both potatoes and toast if you go out for breakfast! Ditto for pasta and bread!! Decide on one!!!
- PORTIONS. Yes they matter but you know this. So...if you love pizza, you can have it... a slice here and there, NOT a whole pie.
- Lastly, people will give you lots of words of wisdom re: dieting, so here's mine: this actor once said years ago "if you're going to eat like a horse, exercise like a horse!"

Good luck...and remember: it's only food. haha

A Magicman
May 10th, 2008, 07:25 PM
One word:

Move.

And no sugar. Fat is OK. But no sugar.

Everything else will come then.

K-Dog
May 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Wow, as a Nutritional Science major in college, I find this advice ridiculous. It's SO funny how many of the posters are ignorant and some of the diet advice given by people with no idea what they are talking about.

Here are my tips:

1) Exercise: Cardio 3-4 days a week. Tennis is not cardio because tennis is an anaerobic activity. The only weight you lose with tennis is water weight. Cardio means that you have your heart beating at a steady rate for a length of time. It isn't strenuous activity. It's moderate. Tennis is start/stop, so the heart has time to rest in between points. In tennis, you aren't always running; sometimes you are just standing and hitting the ball. Substrate your age x 7 from 220 and you get your optimal heart rate. Try to stay at this when you are going cardio.

The body requires that you are working out for for an extended period of time with cardio because the body is efficient in which stored nutrients it burns first. The body burns carbohydrates first because they are very bioavailable and take the least amount of ATP to burn. You need to be able to sustain the work out long enough for your body to start burning the fat, which is harder to metabolize.

2) Add more lean meats (chicken, turkey, and fish) into your diet. Stay away from processed meats though, they tend to be high in additives and sodium or other preservatives. Red meat is high in cholesterol and saturated fat. Both aren't good for you.

3) Eat more fiber and whole grains. This is one of people's biggest problems. Eat fiber in small amounts throughout the day because fiber tends to make people full quickly. Whole grains will be metabolized much slower than simple sugars and will last with you throughout the day.

4) Eat more veges and fruits. You get very little energy from this food group. They are just there for the vitamins and minerals they possess.

5) Don't listen to what anyone says on this board unless you get the permission from a doctor or dietitian. The general public is ignorant to good dieting habits. Diets don't work. Life style changes can.

harloo
May 10th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Wow, as a Nutritional Science major in college, I find this advice ridiculous. It's SO funny how many of the posters are ignorant and some of the diet advice given by people with no idea what they are talking about.Are you the OP's nutritionist? He simply asked what was some dieting tips and posters responded with what's worked for them. Anyone would be foolish to start a diet regimen without checking was a REAL doctor or their nutritionist first instead of following the advice of posters on a tennis message board including nutritional majors.:tape:

K-Dog
May 10th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Are you the OP's nutritionist? He simply asked what was some dieting tips and posters responded with what's worked for them. Anyone would be foolish to start a diet regimen without checking was a REAL doctor or their nutritionist first instead of people on the internet including nutritional majors.:tape:

I'm actually a Nutritional Science major but I'm pre-med. And, again, what's SO funny about my major?

harloo
May 10th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I'm actually a Nutritional Science major but I'm pre-med. And, again, what's SO funny about my major?

There's nothing funny about your major but you're just coming off as a bit self righteous. I understand you feel that you're more qualified to give dieting advice based on you being pre-med but I don't think it's all that serious. Many people were just sharing what they've experienced and how some things worked for them and some didn't. You could have stated your qualifications and advice without attacking people,is it that deep?;)

K-Dog
May 10th, 2008, 08:41 PM
There's nothing funny about your major but you're just coming off as a bit self righteous. I understand you feel that you're more qualified to give dieting advice based on you being pre-med but I don't think it's all that serious. Many people were just sharing what they've experienced and how some things worked for them and some didn't. You could have stated your qualifications and advice without attacking people,is it that deep?;)

Understand me. It's frustrating to hear that fat is good and that carbs are bad. That's one of the biggest misconceptions out there. I feel that diets/eating habits are more scientific that just reading articles in magazines.

harloo
May 10th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Understand me. It's frustrating to hear that fat is good and that carbs are bad. That's one of the biggest misconceptions out there. I feel that diets/eating habits are more scientific that just reading articles in magazines.

That's a big misconception but it seemed like you weren't focusing on the one poster who made that comment. It seems like many people in this thread are just basing their dieting tips on experience more than scientific studies. That information is certainly needed here and thanks for giving it but I just didn't understand why you had to insult people in the process? :confused::)

K-Dog
May 10th, 2008, 09:01 PM
That's a big misconception but it seemed like you weren't focusing on the one poster who made that comment. It seems like many people in this thread are just basing their dieting tips on experience more than scientific studies. That information is certainly needed here and thanks for giving it but I just didn't understand why you had to insult people in the process? :confused::)

Okay, probably shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

abercrombieguy23
May 10th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Don't mean to boast but I have a really good body and not really naturally
Anywhere worth going is travelled through diligence...
Tips:
-Eat breakfast..you need to kick start your metabolism
-Pop is sugar &water and carbonation...do not drink it
-drink green tea...oolong tea
-do something everyday even if its just pushups, situps, pilates for 15 mins
-6 small meals a day...as best as you can..its tough
-use chromium supplements to control fluxuations in blood sugar levels
-FIBRE FIBRE FIBRE....in quickly...out quickly...keep your digestion and metabolism moving
-Weight train before Cardio...if you weight train you will burn your glucose first then your body will have to burn fat when you do cardio after (warning: you will feel slightly the first couple times doing this)...
-run 5 km twice a week...force yourself...its 25 mins of your time
- If you want a killer workout program: p90x...if you're disciplined you will see amazing results...
-Cut your Booze...serious calories here

K-Dog
May 10th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Tips:
-FIBRE FIBRE FIBRE....in quickly...out quickly...keep your digestion and metabolism moving
-Weight train before Cardio...if you weight train you will burn your glucose first then your body will have to burn fat when you do cardio after (warning: you will feel slightly the first couple times doing this)...
- If you want a killer workout program: p90x...if you're disciplined you will see amazing results...

Everything is great except the chromium supplement. That one is not true.

Williamsser
May 10th, 2008, 10:33 PM
morning oatmeal
afternoon fruit salad
thats it
then everyone felt i looked sickly and i gained 15 pounds since i moved to the states

lets be honest

No protein sources? No wonder you looked sickly.

Slutiana
May 10th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Just eat less and exercise. Take no notice of all of this technical jargon. :p

I hate it when people start talking about the way they forced themselves into a schedule or whatever. Unless you're obese then just exercise more, cut out snacks, if you have to choose between Mcdonalds or Jacket potatoes, choose the latter. But still enjoy your food. :)

416_Man
May 10th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Instead of eating, replace food with dick sucking. If you're craving salt just swallow. If you're craving sweet just make sure he's a vegetarian.

Kart
May 11th, 2008, 12:34 AM
What K-Dog said.

Though I'm not convinced about the bit about aiming for your optimal heart rate - that doesn't have any correlation with your rate of aerobic respiration as far as I'm aware.

It's interesting to read what others have written though - it's amazing what works for different people. :yeah: at all of you.

Brett.
May 11th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Wow, as a Nutritional Science major in college, I find this advice ridiculous. It's SO funny how many of the posters are ignorant and some of the diet advice given by people with no idea what they are talking about.

Here are my tips:

1) Exercise: Cardio 3-4 days a week. Tennis is not cardio because tennis is an anaerobic activity. The only weight you lose with tennis is water weight. Cardio means that you have your heart beating at a steady rate for a length of time. It isn't strenuous activity. It's moderate. Tennis is start/stop, so the heart has time to rest in between points. In tennis, you aren't always running; sometimes you are just standing and hitting the ball. Substrate your age x 7 from 220 and you get your optimal heart rate. Try to stay at this when you are going cardio.

The body requires that you are working out for for an extended period of time with cardio because the body is efficient in which stored nutrients it burns first. The body burns carbohydrates first because they are very bioavailable and take the least amount of ATP to burn. You need to be able to sustain the work out long enough for your body to start burning the fat, which is harder to metabolize.

2) Add more lean meats (chicken, turkey, and fish) into your diet. Stay away from processed meats though, they tend to be high in additives and sodium or other preservatives. Red meat is high in cholesterol and saturated fat. Both aren't good for you.

3) Eat more fiber and whole grains. This is one of people's biggest problems. Eat fiber in small amounts throughout the day because fiber tends to make people full quickly. Whole grains will be metabolized much slower than simple sugars and will last with you throughout the day.

4) Eat more veges and fruits. You get very little energy from this food group. They are just there for the vitamins and minerals they possess.

5) Don't listen to what anyone says on this board unless you get the permission from a doctor or dietitian. The general public is ignorant to good dieting habits. Diets don't work. Life style changes can.

Tips:

Wow, i will try and do that :yeah: I'm trying to lose 15 or 16 kilos (I'm 87kilos) in 14 weeks before i go on my trip in the US

K-Dog
May 21st, 2008, 02:12 PM
One thing I forgot to add. If you are eating more fiber, make sure you drink water with it as well. It is easy to become constipated if you consume fiber or whole grains without washing them done and making them more soluble. Otherwise they become dry and clumped together in your gut, making it harder to process, and consequently you defecate less.

mandy7
May 21st, 2008, 02:35 PM
knew a chick in college who would just chew on gum whenever she got hungry
and then the feeling would go away after a while...
she was a little freaky
i do not recomend it

Rerun
May 21st, 2008, 02:48 PM
knew a chick in college who would just chew on gum whenever she got hungry
and then the feeling would go away after a while...

it's the right way to have a gastric cancer. Does your friend know it? :rolleyes:

because the continuos chewing stimulate the gastric cells to excrete gastric juice without food to digest. It could cause a cells mutation :tape:

FORZA SARITA
May 21st, 2008, 02:49 PM
it's the right way to have a gastric cancer. Does your friend know it? :rolleyes:

because the continuos chewing stimulate the gastric cells to excrete gastric juice without food to digest. It could cause a cells mutation :tape:

OMG:tape: no more chewing gums then:sad:

mandy7
May 21st, 2008, 02:53 PM
i have no idea, i had one class with her, she was not my friend
but i did tell her that it wasn't healthy

anyhow, don't even know if she finished school and what she does now
don't even remember her name to be honest.
not cause i don't care about ppl, but it was a big school... and i had lots of names to remember already
that would suck

Rerun
May 21st, 2008, 03:42 PM
btw trying to lose weight too many errors people make
The problem is that tv spots, magazines, unprofessional people (etc.) inculcate fake myths in our mind through fast diet or dangerous drugs :tape:

to be honest physical exercise remains the better way (with a well balanced diet of course) and in case of obesity the detitian doctor is the right person to face with you the question

Mrs. Peel
May 21st, 2008, 04:28 PM
morning oatmeal
afternoon fruit salad
thats it

lets be honest
This is terrible, misguided advice! :help:

kwilliams
May 21st, 2008, 05:12 PM
This is terrible, misguided advice! :help:

I'd say exercise works for the vast majority of people but I'm sure there are some people who it does not help as much. Eating right probably also works for the vast majority of people but there are some people who just don't shed weight by eating right alone and they need exercise.

sfselesfan
May 21st, 2008, 06:01 PM
Work Out:

At least 4x a week...preferably 5. Mix cardiovascular exercise with lifting weights. Do cardio first to get your heartrate up and then try to keep it up by not taking longs rests when you lift afterwards. 20 minutes cardio to start...minimum. Always do cardio first, because if you do it second it redistributes the blood from the muscles you work out that day. You should try to keep your heartrate from getting too high, because that burns muscle. I try to keep mine at a medium level (145 or so). Lately I've enjoyed the treadmill at 15.0 incline and 4.0 speed.

When you lift it's important to mix up the muscle groups, but work your core out everyday (lower back, butt and abdominals) - rotate them and do them immediately after cardio. The remaining muscle groups generally fall into (1) legs, (2) chest, (3) biceps, (4) triceps, (5) back, (6) shoulders. I like doing (1) legs on their own day, then (2) chest and triceps, (3) back and biceps, and (4) shoulders and tweaking anything I might have missed on the other days.

Diet:

I'm not a breakfast person, I have to force myself to eat it. I generally eat something like yogurt or fruit. If you buy yogurt, for God's sake, look at the calorie content...some of it is pure sugar. Try to get the yogurt that is around 60 calories per container. Drink black coffee, you'll get used to it withing a month.

I eat a salad for lunch, generally with some kind of meat on it. I also like beans in my salads. Don't go nuts with the dressing, you really don't need to. Spinich salads are my staple.

For dinner I try eat relatively early. You don't want to go to bed with a full stomach. I eat a pretty good dinner though. I never eat highly processed carbs though...like pasta, white rice, or white bread. I don't eat beef or lamb except when it's served to me at a dinner or something and I don't want to offend my host. When you do have carbs, don't go nuts (always be cognizant of calories).

I'm in my early 30s and have managed to stay in shape by following this general pattern. I learned a lot about dieting from taking a nutrition class in college (about digestion and processing nutrients). I did get talked into reading the southbeach diet by a trainer friend of mine, and the science in that diet is very credible and I recommend reading it...it explains things well.

SF

Mrs. Peel
May 21st, 2008, 07:38 PM
I'd say exercise works for the vast majority of people but I'm sure there are some people who it does not help as much. Eating right probably also works for the vast majority of people but there are some people who just don't shed weight by eating right alone and they need exercise.
Everyone needs excercise. Buliding lean muscle mass is key to losing weight and boosting your metabolism. Without it your just a lump.

Demska
May 21st, 2008, 07:39 PM

so ur fat

ce
May 21st, 2008, 07:54 PM
so ur fat

:haha:

Aaron.
May 21st, 2008, 08:12 PM
I actually was never fat...ever since I was 9 Ive been playing tennis and whos fat at 9?

I run 4-5 miles a week :(

Craigy
May 21st, 2008, 08:20 PM
and whos fat at 9?
You need to look around a bit more. So many kids are being are being diagnosed as obese. :o

*JR*
May 21st, 2008, 08:24 PM
You need to look around a bit more. So many kids are being are being diagnosed as obese. :o
Its that Irish 7 course dinner, even in the North. (A boiled potato and a 6 pack). :p

abercrombieguy23
May 21st, 2008, 08:31 PM
Supergrunt, you just need to work hard....

that is what it's all about...

People with good bodies usually work their butt off for them

If not for aesthetic reasons....Health reasons

and not just short term....BUILD A LIFESTYLE

woosey
May 21st, 2008, 08:51 PM
i agree with people who say you have to approach weight loss as a lifestyle change and not a diet.

i rarely eat any processed foods. i really believe that this is a big problem for people. processed foods are basically any foods on the inner aisle of the grocery store - especially a non-health food store. if you're eating foods with preservatives, artificial colors/flavors not to mention chemicals you are doing very bad things to your body imo.

i wanted to make something with coconut the other day. i went to the regular grocery store and saw that the coconut flakes in the bag had propylene glycol - which is used in antifreeze. you have to read labels. if more people stopped to read the labels of the products they purchased, food manufacturers might think twice about the things they put in them.

i eat fish 1 or 2x's a week. i limit my consumption of dairy. i eat fruits, vegetables and whole grains. i actually do eat white rice, but rarely do i eat white flour pasta.

i exercise though - run about 20-25 miles/week. and i mix yoga and weight training.

i also drink lots of green and oolong tea. i'm a tea snob.

when it comes to food, it's best to focus on quality rather than quantity.

and when you exercise, be mindful of how much you're eating because it will make you hungry and you may be tempted to overeat.

i've never been overweight.

austennis
May 22nd, 2008, 05:35 AM
eat healthy and excercise are the age old remedies
eat asian foood... the smaller portions of the meal and the rice leave u full and u lose weight - well at least i did ..