PDA

View Full Version : an article

vicki
Aug 5th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Williams crushes Davenport in San Diego
Top seed Venus Williams moved within one win of her third successive San Diego Classic title, destroying third seed Lindsay Davenport 6-2 6-1 in the semi-finals on Saturday.

Williams drew level 10-10 with Davenport in their head-to-head career series after easily handling her fellow American's serve and dominating their baseline exchanges.

Davenport, playing in only her second tournament since undergoing knee surgery last January, only held serve twice in a one-sided semi-final.

"I went out there and tried to get every game for me," said Williams, 22, who has now beaten Davenport in nine of their last 11 matches.

Venus's father and coach Richard was vocal in his support. Early in the second set, as Davenport walked over to change rackets, he yelled: "You might as well go home".

Williams Sr also frequently encouraged Venus with calls of: "This is your house". "Sometimes he does encourage me, especially if I'm not playing well," Venus said. "It's nice to have a cheerleader."

Davenport said she did not hear the comments of Williams Sr but did hear a fan yell out: "We want our money back".

"What are you going to do?" Davenport said. "It was probably someone who has never taken a field or been in that position."

hmm....

Jan
Aug 5th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Thanks vicki for the report although it does not make for very nice reading. I really think Mr Williams should mind his manners if he did shout that at Lindsay. I am not impressed.

I hope this does not put a dent in Lindsay's confidence for this week's tourney. Good heavens to get to 2 semis in your first 2 tournaments back from a 9 month injury lay-off is pretty good I would say!!??

What do the rest of you think?

Jan

GO GO GO LINDSAY - TOP ARE BEHIND YOU ALL THE WAY

:wavey: :wavey:

Maajken
Aug 5th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Geez the girl was out for 9 months and then you get responses like that. Its unbelievable. Is it really that much to ask to have some decent manners and behave according to your age :fiery: Its not the first time he's done this, remember his signs saying "its venus's party and lindsay's not invited"? Some people will never grow up i guess. Poor man, if he was more of a respectable person, id feel sorry for him.

I dont think Linds will be too bothered by it. I mean who really cares what he thinks anyway :confused:

She's done amazingly well, like you said Jan and im quite happy with the way things are going. Why dont they all just give her a freakin break!

mvcy
Aug 5th, 2002, 09:20 PM
i think richard really is mad and out of his mind! but it's hard 4 an uneducated people 2 maintain his fake "well-manner" style at all time, dont u guys think? well, lindsay juz couldnt fine her rythm through out tht match but this kinda match for sure wont tepeat again as time goes by coz she is getting better n closer to the real-her perfomance.
i still remember a match she n venus in end of 1999 which venus also screw up her game like what lindsay did, n lots of fans yellin around, y her dad didnt mention bout his daughter's WORST perfomance? sigh... anyway, as a lindsay fans, we shouldnt bother this kinda person which doesnt make any sense, coz we have class~

Go, Lindsay~

Maajken
Aug 6th, 2002, 07:59 AM
mvcy - lack of education shouldnt be an excuse for behaviour like that and it shouldnt be tollerated from no one.

mvcy
Aug 6th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Angelica, i totally agree with u. he cant expect anyone to respect him bcoz he doesnt knw how 2 respect others as well. and, as an "old man", he should control and beware of every single word tht pop out from his mouth, but, obviously, he doesnt hav the ability to do so. whatever, whole world is watchin him tht act like a fool all the time, who cares anyway? shame on him~
so, let's all just pray for lindsay to get back her number 1 spot from tht two williams sisters, dont u think?

Go Lindsay! Go Go Go~

joaco
Aug 7th, 2002, 01:54 AM
Hi guys! This is what I posted the other day in the thread about Richard comments, I still feel the same...

I HATE HIM!! I REALLY DO!

Now I understand why Venus and Serena used to behave how they did, when they were not mature enough and they were more influenced by their father.
I would like to know what is Venus comment on what her father said. I mean, it is so disrispectful, it's like he has something against Lindsay. First the Wimbledon final and now this comment, he desgustes me.

Why does he even have to shout that?. I undesrtand the fan, maybe he's right or it was some kind of joke, but Richard he has no excuse. He's way over the line, he's so arrogant, he thinks he's better than others. Well someone should teach him a leason, I hope someone does real soon.

I hope I'm wrong with my comments, I hope that Richard did not say that, because I thought he was starting to behave and respect others correctly, but if it's true, I stand with my post.

I'm more calmed now:angel: But I hope these kind of 'incidents' won't repeat and that Lindsay can have a great tournament this week.

GO LINDSAY :bounce: :bounce:

Joaco

Jan
Aug 7th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Good on you, joaco, I am with you all the way.

Jan

Maajken
Aug 7th, 2002, 07:46 AM
I thought Venus said some nice things about Linds after the match, so why is it so hard for Richard to do that and show some bloody respect!

Whenever he does anything like this, it makes his daughters look bad aswell. Does he not see that?? :confused:

And if the wta can ban Damir Dokic from the courts, im sure they could do sth about Richard too.

mvcy
Aug 7th, 2002, 08:16 AM
i think he should have been banned long long time ago! in my opinion, damir dokic's attitude is much more better tht richard, atleast he wont say such crabs agaist the players.
whatever it goes, lindsay still the best and, number 1 at all time~

go, Lindsay~

RayRob
Aug 7th, 2002, 02:45 PM
When is Wills snr ever going to shout up? I feel sorry for the sisters because to the casual on looker it does make them look bad too! Over the past couple of years I've really begun to warm to the sisters..........and at one point I was warming to Richard (because I just thought the Wimbledon thing could have been excitement) but now I just think he's an idiot!

At wimby a couple of years ago, after the final where he was holding up those stupid signs he said that Lindsay couldn't run properly and that she ought to pay him to teach her how to run.

Lindsay will admit herself that's she's not the fastest player on the tour but she gets the job done - and that's all that matters!

As for that fan, well even if Lindsay did loose 1 and 2 I would have given anything just to be there and watch her play! It seems there are some people in Calafornia (I'm not going to call them fans because he/she wouldn;t have shouted what they did) who don't appreciate how fortunate they are to have top class players compete in a tournie. Their are some dedicated fans who live in countries where their are no top class events and would have goven anything to have seen Lindsay play against Venus regardless of the quality of match!

Anyway I've had my rant. God bless Lindsay and God bless my fellow true tennis fans :)

-Rachel :)

mvcy
Aug 8th, 2002, 07:47 AM
yeah ray, they hav 2 knw tht how lucky they are to see two different type of skin colour compete each other on court. it's really far more intresting than the all-williams final, for sure! and it's really great to see these injured top class players back on tour to compete for their title tht has been stopped for so many months, but they didnt feel tht way. sigh, they should wake up and realize tht how hard for lindsay to back in action after the long break... sorry for them. and, the richrd, sigh... really got no word to describe him, idiot? freak? o even uneducated? no word is bad enough to describe such a scam bag and social rejects. wta should hav banned him, forever!

Go Lindsay!

Jan
Aug 8th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Nice to see you back rache! We miss you in here you know.

Agree with what you say and also Richard Williams should have been banned ages ago. I actually prefer Damir Dokic and that is saying something, LOL!
Jan

gossipcom
Aug 9th, 2002, 12:01 AM
lol Jan - my mother and I were talking about Damir and Richard today and said they should go and live together since they both have the same kind of values ;)

Australia isn't too fond of Jelena who now wants to be a Brit - next thing she'll be representing Japan (no offense to any nationality here).

We use to know someone who played against her in junior levels here in Australia and the amount of stuff that went on behind the scenes makes me cringe and something I'd never share - let's just say I'm not a fan of the Dokic family.

Jan
Aug 9th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Jelena is now saying that she does not want to relocate to Britian. It will be her dad's idea no doubt!

jan
:wavey:

mvcy
Aug 9th, 2002, 01:15 PM
good for her, it's good to see her be more independent and dare 2 speak out her mind.