PDA

View Full Version : Bush's disapproval rating worst of any president in 70 years

Pureracket
Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Source: USA Today

WASHINGTON — President Bush has set a record he'd presumably prefer to avoid: the highest disapproval rating of any president in the 70-year history of the Gallup Poll.

In a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll taken Friday through Sunday, 28% of Americans approve of the job Bush is doing; 69% disapprove. The approval rating matches the low point of his presidency, and the disapproval sets a new high for any president since Franklin Roosevelt.

The previous record of 67% was reached by Harry Truman in January 1952, when the United States was enmeshed in the Korean War.

... Views of Bush divide sharply along party lines. Among Republicans, 66% approve and 32% disapprove. Disapproval is nearly universal — 91% — among Democrats. Of independents, 23% approve, 72% disapprove of the job he's doing.

Read more: http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20080422/a_po... (http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20080422/a_pollbox22.art.htm)

homogenius
Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:26 PM
Too bad that it took 8 years...

Pureracket
Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:26 PM
"Worst President Ever"

But it's really a tragedy especially for those of us who expected this all along. Also, the real damage will still take some more time to develop. Lower life expectancies and such.

Philbo
Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
I told all you (52%) americans you made a huge mistake in 2004.

2000 was forgivable as the election was stolen. But there is no excuse for 2004. Shame on 52% of americans for inflicting this buffoon on the rest of the world.

homogenius
Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:39 PM

2000 was forgivable as the election was stolen. But there is no excuse for 2004. Shame on 52% of americans for inflicting this buffoon on the rest of the world.

and on the 48% of americans who didn't vote for him as well.

homogenius
Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
"Worst President Ever"

But it's really a tragedy especially for those of us who expected this all along. Also, the real damage will still take some more time to develop. Lower life expectancies and such.

I wonder how his 8 years of "reign" will be judged in 10 or 20 years.

Pureracket
Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
9% of Democrats approve of him. I'd like to meet such a creature. Then again, they could be posting on this board. LOL!!!!!

homogenius
Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:14 PM
9% of Democrats approve of him. I'd like to meet such a creature. Then again, they could be posting on this board. LOL!!!!!

lol

In The Zone
Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:03 PM
Not sure if I trust this poll considering we freaking voted him back into office with similar polls in 2004.

Pureracket
Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
Not sure if I trust this poll considering we freaking voted him back into office with similar polls in 2004.Intersting you should say that. Voting machines without a paper trail of any kind were questioned again, again. Oddly, those same voting machines were controlled by a rightwing political company.

Yasmine
Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Of course he wouldn't approve it :lol:

That said, people seem to have short memories anywhere you go. Why the hell was he voted in again in 2004 in the first place. Now the people who complain about his politics can only blame themselves, they should think before they cast their votes next time. I'm not talking about people in this thread, just in general. You take the responsibility for the people you vote in.

Yasmine
Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
Intersting you should say that. Voting machines without a paper trail of any kind were questioned again, again. Oddly, those same voting machines were controlled by a rightwing political company.
Given all the technology progress, those machines can indeed be manipulated pretty much in anyway we want. But that would be going too paranoied :o

Pureracket
Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Of course he wouldn't approve it :lol:

That said, people seem to have short memories anywhere you go. Why the hell was he voted in again in 2004 in the first place. Now the people who complain about his politics can only blame themselves, they should think before they cast their votes next time. I'm not talking about people in this thread, just in general. You take the responsibility for the people you vote in.I totally agree. There's something funny about how American politics works, though. I don't know if people were actually voting for Bush as much as they were voting against the people who were supporting Kerry.

It may very well happen in this Democratic primary this season.

Yasmine
Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
I'm afraid it might :o

Stamp Paid
Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:19 PM
I have yet to find anyone who'll admit they voted for Bush in 2004.

In The Zone
Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Intersting you should say that. Voting machines without a paper trail of any kind were questioned again, again. Oddly, those same voting machines were controlled by a rightwing political company.

Makes sense. But Kerry wasn't as formidable as Gore, or will be close to comparable to Hill or Obama. If only we had one of them in 2004 :o

kris719
Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:46 PM
and that's saying quite a lot too, considering some of the dweebs we've had in office post WWII

miffedmax
Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:16 AM
And Cheney's even worse.

kris719
Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:17 AM
And Cheney's even worse.
haha I second that! :lol:

drake3781
Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:52 AM
268 more days. :tape:

kwilliams
Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:24 PM

I agree. I was SHOCKED that he was re-elected, absolutely shocked. I just could not understand it at all and I still don't. He's one of the most contemptible men of our time. As for his legacy well his successor will unfortunately have quite a mess to clean up and I think he'll be remembered as he is, an incompetent, duplicitous and witlessly criminal despot who showed an astounding amount of apathy for people the world over. He is a sham of a president and a poor excuse for a human being. He sickens me.

I'm sure if approval ratings had begun back in Washington's time then Bush would still top the list.

mykarma
Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
I have yet to find anyone who'll admit they voted for Bush in 2004.
Ain't that the truth.

Philbo
Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM
I agree. I was SHOCKED that he was re-elected, absolutely shocked. I just could not understand it at all and I still don't. He's one of the most contemptible men of our time. As for his legacy well his successor will unfortunately have quite a mess to clean up and I think he'll be remembered as he is, an incompetent, duplicitous and witlessly criminal despot who showed an astounding amount of apathy for people the world over. He is a sham of a president and a poor excuse for a human being. He sickens me.

I'm sure if approval ratings had begun back in Washington's time then Bush would still top the list.
:lol::worship::worship:
It really is too easy to attack the fool isnt it.

~Eclipsed~
Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:30 PM
This is shocking news!:eek:

miffedmax
Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
I have to agree that this administration is responsible for what one military historian called "the most mismanaged operation since Varus crossed the Rhine."

The difference being of course, that Varus had a sense of shame and the decency to commit suicide.

ptkten
Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
I totally agree. There's something funny about how American politics works, though. I don't know if people were actually voting for Bush as much as they were voting against the people who were supporting Kerry.

It may very well happen in this Democratic primary this season.

Yep, it's not that anyone actually "approved" of the job Bush was doing, they just didn't want that "elitist" Kerry in office, because god forbid we actually have someone who sounds smarter than us as president. Plus, at the time the Iraq war was going on and as stupid as it sounds a lot of Americans felt like it would be almost treasonous to change the commander in chief in the middle of a war so they voted for Bush.

Anyway, I still can't get over that election, and I will be even more angry if they elect McCain this year just because he's a white guy :fiery:

samsung101
Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:56 PM
He's right up there with Katie Couric.
From The American Sweetheart with the huge cushy deal at CBS, the star spot,
the #1 anchor spot, to on the verge of being booted out of CBS for bad ratings.

Not a bad job, not a terrible job, not things she always had control over...just
the fact she isn't the guy at NBC or ABC or working with people who knew what
to do with her. I' m no fan of hers, but, even I don't think she deserves to
be fired like she will be soon ( or asked to resign politely with millions in tow).

So, he went from the highest ever to the lowest ever.

Personally, considering the non-stop Bush Derangement Syndrome that is on the news,
the 527 groups, and his own inability to communicate consistently well (at times, yes,
but, most of the time, he's just okay)....and the fact we should put blame for any
of our financial woes on him...it's understandable.

You pay $3.75 for gas, it's his fault.
Hurricane Katrina hits the USA (not the recovery, the hurricane itself), it's his fault.
Floods, fires, earthquakes, his fault.
I think the fact Brokeback Mountain didn't win the Best Picture Oscar was his fault too.
Obama not putting away HIllary just yet, is his fault as well.
He deserves criticism and negative numbers.

But, I also think the anti-Bush media coverage has been on target for 8 years, and it
can't be beaten. No one has been polled more in the 24/7 cycle of the internet and
cable news, than he has, and most of the pollsters and news figures of the MSM are
left of his political genre.
Bill Clinton left office with high approval ratings.
But, this campaign has shown many former fans the side of him many conservatives
always knew was there, the ugly side. His personal approval ratings have dipped,
and his trust and honesty ratings have dropped even more.

I think history will be kinder to Bush on foreign policy, and his first term, and
his judicial nominees, and tax cuts, and efforts regarding Africa, education, and
AIDS, and military equipment/Star Wars improvement and European approval. Fact is
we have not been attacked at home, or even abroad other than in Iraq, from terrorists,
where we had been regularly for the past 20 years before.

Pureracket
Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
He's right up there with Katie Couric.
From The American Sweetheart with the huge cushy deal at CBS, the star spot,
the #1 anchor spot, to on the verge of being booted out of CBS for bad ratings.

Not a bad job, not a terrible job, not things she always had control over...just
the fact she isn't the guy at NBC or ABC or working with people who knew what
to do with her. I' m no fan of hers, but, even I don't think she deserves to
be fired like she will be soon ( or asked to resign politely with millions in tow).

So, he went from the highest ever to the lowest ever.

Personally, considering the non-stop Bush Derangement Syndrome that is on the news,
the 527 groups, and his own inability to communicate consistently well (at times, yes,
but, most of the time, he's just okay)....and the fact we should put blame for any
of our financial woes on him...it's understandable.

You pay $3.75 for gas, it's his fault.
Hurricane Katrina hits the USA (not the recovery, the hurricane itself), it's his fault.
Floods, fires, earthquakes, his fault.
I think the fact Brokeback Mountain didn't win the Best Picture Oscar was his fault too.
Obama not putting away HIllary just yet, is his fault as well.
He deserves criticism and negative numbers.

But, I also think the anti-Bush media coverage has been on target for 8 years, and it
can't be beaten. No one has been polled more in the 24/7 cycle of the internet and
cable news, than he has, and most of the pollsters and news figures of the MSM are
left of his political genre.
Bill Clinton left office with high approval ratings.
But, this campaign has shown many former fans the side of him many conservatives
always knew was there, the ugly side. His personal approval ratings have dipped,
and his trust and honesty ratings have dropped even more.

I think history will be kinder to Bush on foreign policy, and his first term, and
his judicial nominees, and tax cuts, and efforts regarding Africa, education, and
AIDS, and military equipment/Star Wars improvement and European approval. Fact is
we have not been attacked at home, or even abroad other than in Iraq, from terrorists,
where we had been regularly for the past 20 years before.You actually are throwing Katie Couric under the bus in order to defend B*sh?! :haha:

Worst.President.Ever

P.S. Congrats on being able to somehow get a Clinton dig outta that post, though.

miffedmax
Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:18 PM
Yeah, his followers said history would vindicate Hitler, too.

Of course, Hitler has the advantage of at least being competent at being evil. Bush and his gang that couldn't see, shoot, talk or think straight can't even claim that much. Hell, Bush even makes Mussolini look like a great war leader.

whyme225
Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
Yep, it's not that anyone actually "approved" of the job Bush was doing, they just didn't want that "elitist" Kerry in office, because god forbid we actually have someone who sounds smarter than us as president. Plus, at the time the Iraq war was going on and as stupid as it sounds a lot of Americans felt like it would be almost treasonous to change the commander in chief in the middle of a war so they voted for Bush.

Anyway, I still can't get over that election, and I will be even more angry if they elect McCain this year just because he's a white guy :fiery:

Believe me they will vote for Hillary or MaCain because they are white...with MCcain they will get mcbush and with hillary the same old dirty politics and she will do nothing whatsoever only building her so call legacy...Hillary does not give a damn about anyone but herself.

Pureracket
Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
Believe me they will vote for Hillary or MaCain because they are white...with MCcain they will get mcbush and with hillary the same old dirty politics and she will do nothing whatsoever only building her so call legacy...Hillary does not give a damn about anyone but herself.I'd still vote for Hillary, though.