PDA

View Full Version : British Prospect Rising - CHAMPION?

*hingis_forever*
Apr 20th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Remember the name Laura Robson. She's the highest ranked 1994 born player in the ITF junior rankings and is already playing grade 1 and 2 events! Here are some facts about her:

Name: Laura Robson
Birthdate: 21/01/1994
Hometown: London, England
Plays: Left-handed
Favourite Surface: Hard
Coach: Olga Morozova
ITF Junior Ranking: 5

http://www.itftennis.com/shared/medialibrary/image/player/IO_28011_player.JPG

At only 14 years old she's already won a grade 4 singles title and made a grade 1 quarterfinal and won the junior Wimbledon title. She has wins over Nathalie Mohn (ranked 547 in WTA), Monika Tumova (twice), Gabriela Dabrowski, Zuzana Luknarova, Anna Arina Marenko, Valentina Ivakhnenko, Cindy Chala, Jessy Rompies (twice), Nicole Riner, Elena Chernyakova, Isabella Holland, Elena Bogdan, Mallory Burdette, Johanna Konta, Naomi Broady, Kristina Mladenovic, Melanie Oudin, Bojana Jovanovski, Lesley Kerkhove, Romana Tabakova, Noppawarn Lertcheewakarn and Stephanie Cornish and has also pushed junior world #8 Ana Bogdan to 7-5 in the third.

In 2006, at age 12, she won the Eddie Herr International U-12 and followed that up by winning the U-14 division last year.

http://www.lespetitsprinces.com/images/2006/podium/laura-robson-g.jpg

After winning last weeks junior Wimbledon title, Laura has risen to 5 in the world.
Take that Vincey! Sorry I had too! :p

IMPOSSIBLE
Apr 20th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Go Laura :)

Sean.
Apr 20th, 2008, 07:01 AM
:bounce: We can hope! :)

InsideOut.
Apr 20th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Not bad. I think we'll be seeing more of her. The results look promising. I'm sure working with Olga helps a lot too.

Dave.
Apr 20th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I hope she can break through. :D

Dodoboy.
Apr 20th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I know her :angel:

She is a really nice girl!

OK! I lie :angel:

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 20th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I think she will be top 50 at least :)

Viktymise
Apr 20th, 2008, 11:00 AM
She's coached by Morozova? :eek:

Her results are not that amazing though. It's not like she's the only 14 year old playing G1 and G2 junior events, it's not like she's winning them even.

Plus except for the U18 Eddie Herr event, the draws are usually pretty weak for the rest of the age divisions. I think it's a bit premature to say "CHAMPION" when she's done nothing of the sort to merit such a label. :shrug:

Destiny
Apr 20th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Hope she can do something and keep going

I will pray for her :angel::p

:rocker:

Petkorazzi
Apr 20th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I agree with Lenavee somehow.

And there was this video of her from Le Petit As finals, it got removed from youtube due to copyright infringment or something, anyways, I was definintely not impresed by this girl, maybe I had too high expectations, though her body language was terrible for a 13-14 year old, in that age, it's more of having fun, but what I saw was big competitive tennis. Seems she has big stress on her, and there seems a lot of hype aswell, it's too early to call her a champion.

patch.
I think she will be top 50 at least :)

:eek::eek:
She must be good, considering how none of our players are in top 100 now

good luck in the future, Laura :yeah:

^bibi^
Let's hope and pray :scared:

die_wahrheit
Apr 20th, 2008, 11:25 AM
British people can't do it in a worldwide sport as tennis, football, or such things.

British people can do it in pub or british sports as Snooker, Darts and such things.

Sean.
Apr 20th, 2008, 11:55 AM

Her results are not that amazing though. It's not like she's the only 14 year old playing G1 and G2 junior events, it's not like she's winning them even.

Plus except for the U18 Eddie Herr event, the draws are usually pretty weak for the rest of the age divisions. I think it's a bit premature to say "CHAMPION" when she's done nothing of the sort to merit such a label. :shrug:

I agree with Lenavee somehow.

And there was this video of her from Le Petit As finals, it got removed from youtube due to copyright infringment or something, anyways, I was definintely not impresed by this girl, maybe I had too high expectations, though her body language was terrible for a 13-14 year old, in that age, it's more of having fun, but what I saw was big competitive tennis. Seems she has big stress on her, and there seems a lot of hype aswell, it's too early to call her a champion.

Ye we like to get our hopes up and over dramatise things. Otherwise everyone gets depressed with the lack of talent.:(

British people can't do it in a worldwide sport as tennis, football, or such things.

British people can do it in pub or british sports as Snooker, Darts and such things.

Yes and UAE's world class sports players are who sorry?:tape:

jazar
Apr 20th, 2008, 12:30 PM
as long as she doesnt train in britain she'll have a chance

Dinkie
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Would be nice to see some Brits in top-100 again. I notice that there are so many British juniors playing junior ITF tournaments this year. Sometimes 6 to 8 in the MD. The BTA really pumps money in it. Something got to come out of it eventually!!!

And by the way, I think Laura looks more Latin than British. Cute girl.

Europe rocks
Apr 20th, 2008, 03:50 PM
as long as she doesnt train in britain she'll have a chance
:lol:
Hopefully she can make it big on the seniors tour, but let's just give her time to develop. Things can very easily go wrong for decent juniors when they try to turn professional

*hingis_forever*
May 17th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Laura made her first grade 1 final this week in Santa Croce, Italy defeating Monika Tumova, Paula Ormaechea, Jessy Rompies, Cindy Chala and Isabella Holland. She lost the final to fellow Brit Johanna Konta 64 64. With this great result she will be the first of the 1994 bunch to break the top 100 at roughly 80. Keep it up Laura!

TheBoiledEgg
May 17th, 2008, 09:20 PM
hope they dont put too much pressure on her.
she's doing great so far :)
keep it going Laura ;)
hopefully she can grow a few more inches.

*hingis_forever*
May 17th, 2008, 09:21 PM
hope they dont put too much pressure on her.
she's doing great so far :)
keep it going Laura ;)
hopefully she can grow a few more inches.
Is she not very tall?

*hingis_forever*
May 28th, 2008, 03:56 AM
She's up to 60 in the world after reaching a grade A quarterfinal! :bounce:

only_one_maria
May 28th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I think the last decent female British tennis player was Jo Durie. She got to the quarter finals of Wimbledon - something not even Jeremy Bates could manage.

I think we're improving, but so are so many other countries, particularly in the developing world. Aside from Wimbledon, tennis does not really get a big profile in the UK and the culture here is not conducive to producing sporting champions. Just look at Football.

IMPOSSIBLE
May 28th, 2008, 11:30 AM
In her last event she beat...

* Elena Chernyakova (ITF Junior Ranking of 20)
* Nicole Riner (WTA Ranking of 433)

She has some real talent , I hope she can make the most of it...

Monica_Rules
May 28th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I think she is extremley promising. Its too early to say how good she could be but the early signs are promising. It will be interesting to see how she does over the rest of the year as she starts playing junior grandslams and senior ITF events.

mckyle.
May 28th, 2008, 11:46 AM

I check the Junior rankings often, and I don't see the years 1993 or 1994 very often in the Top 100. There's only 10 of them currently.

Jakeev
May 28th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Laura is playing solid, consistent tennis. She can only get better. She definitely has passed the Ren sisters in terms of buzz so it will be interesting to see if she actually out performs them in the next few years.

Brengle_Nation
May 28th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Sad but true Jazar. I just hope she doesn't trust the LTA to develop her.
I really hope she has a strong career ahead. I will certainly be looking out for her name in the future.

OZTENNIS
May 28th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Yes, I think that she has a great future ahead of her...she will be top 50 by the end of this season, and should be top 20 by the end of next year, maybe even top 10...

She beat one of our best prospects - Isabella Holland - very easily, so of course she will be good :lol:

OZTENNIS
May 28th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Yes, I think that she has a great future ahead of her...she will be top 50 by the end of this season, and should be top 20 by the end of next year, maybe even top 10...

She beat one of our best prospects - Isabella Holland - very easily, so of course she will be good :lol:

Monica_Rules
May 28th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Shes only 10 places off the top 50 now. I think she'll be close to top 30 this year, and will be a big challenge in the junior grandslams next year. All depends on how she copes at the new level from now on. So far she seems to be doing ok.

*hingis_forever*
Jun 26th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Laura is through to the Roehampton grade 1 final after beating Martina Borecka, Mallory Burdette, Johanna Konta, Naomi Broady and Kristina Mladenovic. She faces Melanie Oudin in the final. Win or lose she will be in the top 40.

Dawson.
Jun 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM
hence my sig ;)

*hingis_forever*
Jun 30th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Laura's up to 36 in the world after her impressive run to the Roehampton final, losing to Melanie Oudin 57 62 62! She faces her in the second round of Wimbledon after a dominating 60 64 win over Alexa Guarachi! The next highest ranked 1994 player is An-Sophie Mestach ranked 138.

Monica_Rules
Jun 30th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Laura rules:)

Hope she wins tomorrow but its gonna be tough

*hingis_forever*
Jul 7th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Well I think we all know her now! Junior Wimbledon champ at 14 and now up to 5 in the junior rankings! Congrats Laura! :bounce:

Dodoboy.
Jul 7th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Good call ;)