PDA

View Full Version : Capriati vs Sharapova: Who is greater?

Dav, Seles
Apr 20th, 2008, 04:38 AM
??

homogenius
Apr 20th, 2008, 04:41 AM
:spit:

GrafMariaPetraK
Apr 20th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Sharapova

Geisha
Apr 20th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Jennifer, but not by much.

Capriati played through some of the toughest competition ever in the early 1990s with Seles and Graf, and in the 2000s with Serena, Venus, and others. Sharapova's results in recent years are extremely impressive, but I think Capriati's consistency at the big events are also undervalued.

GrandSlam05
Apr 20th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Jen was really an underachiever. If she had her shit together in 90s she would've had more than 3 slams. I think Maria is just the opposite: an overachiever.
But at the end of her career, Maria will probably have more slams than Jen and thus will be considered the greater player. Sad but true.

kiwifan
Apr 20th, 2008, 05:05 AM
As of today, J Cap.

When its all over, things look good for Maria. ;)

Volcana
Apr 20th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Sharapova. Hate to say it. Capriati could have been an all-time great. IMHO, the pressure of trying to please her family was just too much for her. The poster-girl for why the age-eligibility rules are a good idea. Even if Sharapova retired tomorrow, she rates a slight edge.

Sharapova has won 19 tournaments playing 362 matches.
Sharapova has won 14 tournaments playing 606 matches.

Career winning percentage Sharapova 81%, Capriati 71%

I know Capriati's career is something of a unique case. Much the same could be said for the careers of Maureen Connolly, Althea Gibson and Monica Seles. You tell me how to quantify that.

AcesHigh
Apr 20th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Who was the better player in terms of game? quality? I think Jen was. Like Volcana says, it's a weird case where most of her career was cut short, all that talent practically wasted for years.

Anyway, all we have are results and Sharapova clearly has the advantage there.

Dav, Seles
Apr 20th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Jennifer, but not by much.

Capriati played through some of the toughest competition ever in the early 1990s with Seles and Graf, and in the 2000s with Serena, Venus, and others. Sharapova's results in recent years are extremely impressive, but I think Capriati's consistency at the big events are also undervalued.

I agree. Also, Jen has the biggest thing next to the Slams as well, Olympic Gold.

GrafMariaPetraK
Apr 20th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Jen was really an underachiever. If she had her shit together in 90s she would've had more than 3 slams. I think Maria is just the opposite: an overachiever.
But at the end of her career, Maria will probably have more slams than Jen and thus will be considered the greater player. Sad but true.
Who was the better player in terms of game? quality? I think Jen was. Like Volcana says, it's a weird case where most of her career was cut short, all that talent practically wasted for years.

Anyway, all we have are results and Sharapova clearly has the advantage there.People never wanna admit that Maria's got talent and how is she an overachiever:tape:

AcesHigh
Apr 20th, 2008, 07:07 AM
People never wanna admit that Maria's got talent and how is she an overachiever:tape:

Sharapova has LOADS of talent and she is not an overachiever in my eyes. However, Capriati had more. Much like Tracy Austin should have had more than 2 IMO.. Seles should have had more slams and Capriati should have had more. She was very very very talented

Svetlana.
Apr 20th, 2008, 07:13 AM
What the point of this thread? How can someone compare a 20 year old girl to someone who's already finished the career? Let's come back to this question at least in 10 years from now.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 20th, 2008, 07:51 AM
They both have three slams.
Sharapova has them on three different surfaces (four surface slam finals plexicushion, rebound ace, decoturf 2, grass).

For me the edge goes to Capriati for winning the Olympic gold against Steffi Graf in Barcelona.

Dav, Seles
Apr 20th, 2008, 08:11 AM
They both have three slams.
Sharapova has them on three different surfaces (four surface slam finals plexicushion, rebound ace, decoturf 2, grass).

For me the edge goes to Capriati for winning the Olympic gold against Steffi Graf in Barcelona.

Good post.

Serge007
Apr 20th, 2008, 08:14 AM
another stupid thread about Sharapova. Is she retired?

Adal
Apr 20th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Maria also has YEC title and won more title than Capriati

mankind
Apr 20th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Your mum.

Mashafaaaaan
Apr 20th, 2008, 09:27 AM
What will be the next thread, Sharapova deserve her 3 GSlams ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Career winning percentage Sharapova 81%, Capriati 71% NOTHING TO ADD.
Beside Sharapova's career isn't over, Capriati's one is.

Topspin2
Apr 20th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Mashka

die_wahrheit
Apr 20th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Sharapova is already greater.
Without doubts.
More titles, the ultimate prestigious Wimbledon title, YEC championship.. more ranking points...

Really without doubts.

blackcrave
Apr 20th, 2008, 10:40 AM
sharapova

faboozadoo15
Apr 20th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Sharapova's over Capriati, working on Arantxa and Davenport. That's my opinion though.
Jen does have a gold medal...

So You Say
Apr 20th, 2008, 10:59 AM
That's an easy one, Capriati.

faboozadoo15
Apr 20th, 2008, 11:04 AM
That's an easy one, Capriati.

:eek: Coming from a person who thinks Anna K is better than Maria....

So You Say
Apr 20th, 2008, 11:14 AM
:eek: Coming from a person who thinks Anna K is better than Maria....

That’s true, I do think Anna possessed a far superior tennis game than Maria. Many tennis purists/aficionados acknowledge this fact. But you’re correct in your conjecture on career achievements, which makes Maria the superior of the two, as it also makes Steffi, Monica’s SUPERIOR.

Dave.
Apr 20th, 2008, 11:49 AM
It's a close one, but I think Capriati's Olympic Gold swings it her way.

Olympic Gold against Steffi on clay >>>>>>>>>> YEC against injured Serena.

But there is no doubt Sharapova will overtake her soon, maybe even by the end of 2008. It's a shame that she's only good at singles, as she'll never be able to be truly compared with other greats, unless she wins a huge amount of slams/titles like Seles did.

Andy.
Apr 20th, 2008, 11:52 AM
That’s true, I do think Anna possessed a far superior tennis game than Maria. Many tennis purists/aficionados acknowledge this fact. But you’re correct in your conjecture on career achievements, which makes Maria the superior of the two, as it also makes Steffi, Monica’s SUPERIOR.
Purists meaning those who think serve and volley is the only ay to play or the ons that think variety = talent. Im sick of people not giving Maria the credit she is due. She is a hige talent and plays the game she plays amazingly well. She executes her style of play nearly better than anyone.

So You Say
Apr 20th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Purists meaning those who think serve and volley is the only ay to play or the ons that think variety = talent. Im sick of people not giving Maria the credit she is due. She is a hige talent and plays the game she plays amazingly well. She executes her style of play nearly better than anyone.

I commented, Purists/Aficionados.

Where have I not gave Maria credit? I posted ‘on career achievements, which makes Maria the superior of the two’

Possibly, you’re letting your emotions for Maria cloud your perspective.

Andy.
Apr 20th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I commented, Purists/Aficionados.

Where have I not gave Maria credit? I posted ‘on career achievements, which makes Maria the superior of the two’

Possibly, you’re letting your emotions for Maria cloud your perspective.
Im not talking about you not giving Maria credit. You have given Maria plenty of credit. My statement probably come out wrong. I do thing that many of these so called tennis purists (dinasaurs) dont give Maria's game credit.

faboozadoo15
Apr 20th, 2008, 12:28 PM

Kournikova may have a wider skill set than Sharapova, but "shoestring volleys" and slice backhands aren't going to do much for Kournikova when she can't return Sharapova's serve or when Maria's sending Anna's meatball serves back into the open court with interest.

Il Primo!
Apr 20th, 2008, 12:30 PM
All stats favor Maria. C'mon, let your bias on the side and recognise her superiority over JenCap.

Andy.
Apr 20th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Kournikova may have a wider skill set than Sharapova, but "shoestring volleys" and slice backhands aren't going to do much for Kournikova when she can't return Sharapova's serve or when Maria's sending Anna's meatball serves back into the open court with interest.
Thats exactly the way I see it. Variety is nice but at the end of the day its not a game winner when the other parts of your game arent so steady.

The Dawntreader
Apr 20th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Maria will most probably go on to better Jen's achievments and there's no getting away from that.

However if you're talking about the tennis public's perception of greatness, the amazing resurgence of Capriati may always be a factor when deciding this argument. Greatnes aint all about the stats, they can blind us;)

Thanx4nothin
Apr 20th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Jennifer 3 slams and olympic gold beats 3 slams and more titles etc...this won't be the case for long though I don't believe, unfortunately Jen just didn't achieve what she should have.

Il Primo!
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:03 PM
YEC and OG are kinda the same IMO.

The Dawntreader
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:05 PM

How so?:lol:

So You Say
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:10 PM

It’s interesting to note you have acknowledged that, Anna did indeed possess a more skilfully progressive game than Maria. I myself am talking ‘pre-self-destruct Anna’, you are not. And for me and many others this is a totally, unjust, argumentative-based belief.

I believe if you take a look back at Anna’s results and the way her ‘young’ career was progressing, most people would take the view that Anna was the more progressive of the two. Her game was far more adaptable to all surfaces than Maria’s.

It’s odd how many Monica fans claim ‘Only for her stabbing she would have been the greatest ever. And how many slams it cost her’, yet when it comes to Jennifer Capriati, they dismiss her time-out of the game.

Dave.
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM

I think OG is a bit more special to win because your playing for your country and it's only once in 4 years. But even if they were equal, the way Capriati won hers is so much more impressive. She beat Sanchez-Vicario and Graf back-to-back on clay! Pova actually lost en route to her YEC.

Il Primo!
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:14 PM
How so?:lol:

Not really GC but important events.;)

I think OG is a bit more special to win because your playing for your country and it's only once in 4 years. But even if they were equal, the way Capriati won hers is so much more impressive. She beat Sanchez-Vicario and Graf back-to-back on clay! Pova actually lost en route to her YEC.

I agree if you measure the weight of a title by the players beaten. Seems like Capriati had a stronger competition so in that case her OG surpasses Pova's YEC. But it's not a general rule.;)

die_wahrheit
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:47 PM

Laughable. Sanchez-Vicario was the ugly face of women's tennis in the 90ies.
Seles wasn't even present in Barcelona.

But all that doesn't really matter.
Sharapova is already ahead, regardless what some fans are writing here.

It's just so that Capriati won only these 14 titles. That's not enough.

Dave.
Apr 20th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Laughable. Sanchez-Vicario was the ugly face of women's tennis in the 90ies.
Seles wasn't even present in Barcelona.

But all that doesn't really matter.
Sharapova is already ahead, regardless what some fans are writing here.

It's just so that Capriati won only these 14 titles. That's not enough.

There's nothing laughable about beating one of the great claycourters of all time on clay in front of her home crowd. Then she beat the defending champ Graf in the final. That's two all-time greats beaten on their best surfaces in back-to-back matches. Graf and Sanchez-Vicario were the two best players after Seles at the time, and little 18 year old Jen came along and took the gold away from them. :worship:

Mr. Magassi
Apr 20th, 2008, 02:11 PM
There's nothing laughable about beating one of the great claycourters of all time on clay in front of her home crowd. Then she beat the defending champ Graf in the final. That's two all-time greats beaten on their best surfaces in back-to-back matches. Graf and Sanchez-Vicario were the two best players after Seles at the time, and little 18 year old Jen came along and took the gold away from them. :worship:

I agree, that was a great accomplishment for Jennifer... and to think that was her lone victory over Graf... and she was just 18

cn ireland
Apr 20th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Sharapova, without a doubt. 3 Slams before she turned 21 and destined to win many more:worship:.

Matt01
Apr 20th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Sharapova, without a doubt. 3 Slams before she turned 21 and destined to win many more:worship:.

:spit:

bellascarlett
Apr 20th, 2008, 03:10 PM

:lol:

Anyway, comparing Sharapova to Kournikova is sooo 2004. Sharapova is already a 3-time slam champ and is a sure bet for HOF now.

teo_honey
Apr 20th, 2008, 08:16 PM
All stats favor Maria. C'mon, let your bias on the side and recognise her superiority over JenCap.

Oh yes your avatar clearly shows you are not biased. :lol:

teo_honey
Apr 20th, 2008, 08:20 PM

She was just 16.

hingisGOAT
Apr 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Sharapova will have the better career, statistically, if she doesn't already, but Capriati was a much better player at her best. Incredibly athletic and powerful.

In fact I'd say that pretty much all of the multi-Slam champions of the last decade are far and away more talented tennis players than Sharapova, sadly she might end up with a better career than all of them because she has the focus, drive, and consistency of a machine. She'll be the only 5,6,7+ Slam champion who was at no point in her career the best player on the tour, quite a distinction

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 20th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I'd say, right now, the edge goes to JCap, but I expect that will soon change.

Tennisstar86
Apr 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM
skill wise capriati.... accomplishments? unless sharapova turns to the drugs then sharapova...

aznunit2k5
Apr 20th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Serve: Sharapova
Forehand: Capriati
Backhand: Sharapova
Movement: Capriati

3 Slams Each
Sharapova: Wimbledon, US Open, Aussie Open
Capriati: French Open, 2x Aussie Open

I say Sharapova really. Wimbledon and the US Open are very prestigious. Aussie Open is good. French Open isn't indicitive of how good players really are.

Thanx4nothin
Apr 20th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Sharapova will have the better career, statistically, if she doesn't already, but Capriati was a much better player at her best. Incredibly athletic and powerful.

In fact I'd say that pretty much all of the multi-Slam champions of the last decade are far and away more talented tennis players than Sharapova, sadly she might end up with a better career than all of them because she has the focus, drive, and consistency of a machine. She'll be the only 5,6,7+ Slam champion who was at no point in her career the best player on the tour, quite a distinction

So far that is actually a poignant point. ;)

jenny161185
Apr 20th, 2008, 10:09 PM
:wavey:As others have said its hard to compare as Jens career was derailed and it was a strange situation, when it comes down to who is thebetter tennis player im confident in saying Jennifer

Serenidad.
Apr 20th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Capriati is ahead, but Maria can pass her possibly before this year is over.

Waste of talent due to pressure. Considering the stabbing of Seles and ASV being the main contender during the absence that could have easily been Capriati and MAYBE she would have done better with that opportunity than ASV. So many what ifs..

OsloErik
Apr 20th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I think there are two considerations: do you credit Capriati with some extra career points for having the dead years, or do you punish her for being mentally unfit? I don't really do either. I think her family had a pretty devastating effect on her, and it's hard to punish her for that, but it's hard to credit her for that either; while it's in no way the same, what do we start giving to players like Dokic or Lucic, or even Pierce?

At the same time, I tend to think that, if their careers were to end today (so no giving Sharapova the "her career WILL be better" edge, okay?), Capriati would go down as the greater player. We're talking about a fourteen year old in the top 10, who staged one of the greatest career renaissances of all time. And while I don't want to talk about talent, because I think both are very talented, it's also worth noting that Capriati was one of the best big hitters in history and stands only an inch or so taller than Henin. She wasn't a big person, yet she possessed one of the best forehands in tennis history (I'd say her forehand is 2nd only to Graf in terms of what she could do on any surface, but that's open to argument).

Ultimately, the argument has to come down to the intangible quality of Capriati versus Sharapova's extra titles, and the quality of Sharapova's YEC win versus the quality of Capriati's Olympic Gold win. In both situations, it's pretty similar. Sharapova is the youngest YEC winner in history, correct? And Capriati the youngest Olympic Gold medalist in tennis, correct? It's kind of odd when you think about it. I'd give the edge to Capriati, but not by much at all.

As for the intangible quality of Capriati, she's the only player to have won these three awards in this order:
Newcomer of the Year, Comeback of the Year, Player of the Year. There's something legendary about Capriati, in way only the greatest of the great possess, and there isn't yet that quality to Sharapova's career. There may be some day, but by then she will have surpasses Capriati anyways.

OsloErik
Apr 20th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I say Sharapova really. Wimbledon and the US Open are very prestigious. Aussie Open is good. French Open isn't indicitive of how good players really are.

Players who have "just" won the Australian Open once, and no other slam, since the 1980's: none
Players who have "just" won the French Open once, and no other slam, since the 1980's: Iva Majoli, Anastasia Myskina
Players who have "just" won Wimbledon once, and no other slam, since the 1980's: Conchita Martinez, Jana Novotna
Players who have "just" won the U.S. Open once, and no other slam, since the 1980's: Gabriela Sabatini, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Kim Clijsters.

So which slam starts to look like the best indicator of success?

Since the '80's, all the slams are of equal value. This is only a discussion by people who don't have enough confidence in their favorite players achievements. If we start talking about pre-1980's, then the US Open and Wimbledon start to look better, but once you hit the 1980's, they're all equal. End of discussion.

Geisha
Apr 20th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Honestly, the title thing has some significance, but not much. Maria won her first couple of titles, and a couple in the middle (I think) at Tier III or below levels. Capriati has won four titles at the Tier III or below level.

Sharapova really peaked in 2004-2008. In 2007 and 2008, I would say the competition has peaked, once more. But, in those middle years, women's tennis was very transitional. Jennifer, on the other hand, played in the midst of Venus and Serena domination, as well as a whole slew of other increidble players like Davenport and even Hingis. Not only that, but at the beginning of the 1990s, she played against Graf, Seles, Navratilova, and others, which is the likely reason she didn't advance beyond the QFs and SFs of many of them.

Geisha
Apr 20th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Oh, and I would consider Capriati and Sharapova's Majors to be similar. Yes, she won three of the four, but she didn't win the slow court title. Capriati won on two drastic surfaces.

GrafMariaPetraK
Apr 21st, 2008, 01:34 AM
Honestly, the title thing has some significance, but not much. Maria won her first couple of titles, and a couple in the middle (I think) at Tier III or below levels. Capriati has won four titles at the Tier III or below level.

Sharapova really peaked in 2004-2008. In 2007 and 2008, I would say the competition has peaked, once more. But, in those middle years, women's tennis was very transitional. Jennifer, on the other hand, played in the midst of Venus and Serena domination, as well as a whole slew of other increidble players like Davenport and even Hingis. Not only that, but at the beginning of the 1990s, she played against Graf, Seles, Navratilova, and others, which is the likely reason she didn't advance beyond the QFs and SFs of many of them.
I don't think Maria as peaked yet, you've not seen the best of miss Sharapova yet.

Geisha
Apr 21st, 2008, 01:41 AM
I don't think Maria as peaked yet, you've not seen the best of miss Sharapova yet.

I agree. Maria's going to have one of the greater careers in pro tennis.

OsloErik
Apr 21st, 2008, 01:58 AM

But that's irrelevant to this thread. The question isn't "Who will be greater", it's "Who IS greater" and the only way to analyze that is to pretend both were retired as of today.

RJWCapriati
Apr 21st, 2008, 03:18 AM
Capriati

Miranda
Apr 21st, 2008, 03:39 AM
of course its maria, she gonna wins more titles, jennifer just one 14, this number is not great for me :cool:

In The Zone
Apr 21st, 2008, 03:40 AM
Capriati.

3 slams, Melbourne and Roland Garros.

Gold Medal. # 1 for longer ( small # but yes, ;) ).

alfonsojose
Apr 21st, 2008, 04:13 AM
Maria. JCap is/was :unsure: too inconsistent

FanDeJen
Apr 21st, 2008, 04:34 AM
Jen rocks!!!!! WTA sucks without her.

skanky~skanketta
Apr 21st, 2008, 07:45 AM
Jen rocks!!!!! WTA sucks without her.
I detest her (and Maria) but you're right. It sucks without her.

Optima
Apr 21st, 2008, 07:51 AM
Maria, as much as I love Jen.

K-Dog
Apr 21st, 2008, 08:03 AM

Better than Serena?

Andy.
Apr 21st, 2008, 08:08 AM
Better than Serena?
I said nearly better! although Maria seems to be more consistant thoughout the year with her play while Serena has patches of brilliance although Serena seems to be more into tennis of late.

K-Dog
Apr 21st, 2008, 08:11 AM
I said nearly better! although Maria seems to be more consistant thoughout the year with her play while Serena has patches of brilliance although Serena seems to be more into tennis of late.

Whenever Serena plays, she usually gets to the quarters (if not further), hence her nickname Quarterena. I'd say she's pretty consistent. The only reason that Maria is consistent is because of her mushy cupcake draws she gets. Give her a few hard opponents early on (excluding the AO), and she's toast.

OsloErik
Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:29 AM
of course its maria, she gonna wins more titles

Again, irrelevant. The operative verb being "IS", we are talking about the present. Were the operative verb "WILL BE", your post would matter.

Why is this so hard to grasp? About half the posters have written from the perspective that Sharapova WILL be greater, as if that is up for discussion.

faboozadoo15
Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:46 AM
Better than Serena?

:rolleyes:
When people compare Serena's and Maria's gamestyles, Serena fans jump all over it and say that they play nothing alike-- Serena has all kind of variety, more topspin, moves better, etc.

But when a Sharapova fan says she executes her gamestyle nearly better than anyone in the world, Serena fans still want to get a piece of it?

Aren't flies supposed to be attracted to poop? Shooh.

faboozadoo15
Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Whenever Serena plays, she usually gets to the quarters (if not further), hence her nickname Quarterena. I'd say she's pretty consistent. The only reason that Maria is consistent is because of her mushy cupcake draws she gets. Give her a few hard opponents early on (excluding the AO), and she's toast.

Sorry, I didn't realize Serena's always playing world renowned players in early rounds while Sharapova is out there playing Brie Whitehead.

Players Serena has beaten this year before the QF round in 08--

R128 H2H (W) GAJDOSOVA, JARMILA SVK 145 W 6-3 6-3
R64 H2H (Q) YUAN, MENG CHN 121 W 6-3 6-1
R32 H2H (26) AZARENKA, VICTORIA BLR 25 W 6-3 6-4
R16 H2H (12) VAIDISOVA, NICOLE CZE 12 W 6-3 6-4

R16 H2H OBZILER, TZIPORA ISR 117 W 7-5 6-0

R64 H2H GALLOVITS, EDINA ROU 62 W 6-1 6-2
R32 H2H (27) PENNETTA, FLAVIA ITA 28 W 6-7(6) 6-3 6-2
R16 H2H KANEPI, KAIA EST 61 W 6-3 6-3

R32 H2H DULKO, GISELA ARG 48 W 6-3 6-4
R16 H2H (12) SREBOTNIK, KATARINA SLO 31 W 4-6 6-4 6-3

Players Maria has beaten this year before the QF round in 08--

R128 H2H KOSTANIC TOSIC, JELENA CRO 102 W 6-4 6-3
R64 H2H DAVENPORT, LINDSAY USA 51 W 6-1 6-3
R32 H2H (0) VESNINA, ELENA RUS 55 W 6-3 6-0
R16 H2H (11) DEMENTIEVA, ELENA RUS 11 W 6-2 6-0

R32 H2H (Q) VOSKOBOEVA, GALINA RUS 126 W 6-4 4-6 6-1
R16 H2H (Q) TANASUGARN, TAMARINE THA 101 W 6-2 6-2
Q H2H WOZNIACKI, CAROLINE DEN 53 W 6-0 6-1

R64 H2H (Q) COHEN-ALORO, STEPHANIE FRA 126 W 6-1 6-0
R32 H2H (25) DANIILIDOU, ELENI GRE 37 W 7-5 6-3
R16 H2H (15) BONDARENKO, ALONA UKR 24 W 6-2 5-7 6-4

R32 H2H (Q) ZAHLAVOVA STRYCOVA, BARBORA CZE 149 W 6-1 6-3
R16 H2H (15) MEDINA GARRIGUES, ANABEL ESP 29 W 7-6(3) 5-7 7-6(1)
Q H2H (10) BONDARENKO, ALONA UKR 22 W 6-7(9) 6-3 6-2

R32 H2H MATTEK, BETHANIE USA 151 W 6-0 6-0
R16 H2H PEREBIYNIS, TATIANA UKR 66 W 7-5 6-2

Just take a nap and STFU :weirdo:

Maria Croft
Apr 22nd, 2008, 10:04 AM
I don't understand why the board is so obsessed these days with threads comparing Maria's career to players who are playing ten years longer then her or have already stopped playing.

Brandon85
Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
i think jennifer because she has more character. maria is a dull person i think. plus, no other player has the amazing story jennifer does.

alfonsojose
Feb 22nd, 2014, 03:59 PM
Pova :hearts:

Robson Bouchard
Feb 22nd, 2014, 04:35 PM
Maria for sure. How many women have won all 4 slam titles in their careers? (I don't know, 9,10?) for me, that's quite an achievement. :)

However, I don't think the full potential of Jennifer was never tapped. We all know the pitfalls she had during her personal life, which undoubtedly overshadowed her career. Her comeback to reach #1 was utterly amazing. :worship:

I personally don't believe it's anything to do with game style, personality or who has the best hair. There's sometimes I think Maria has not received the kudos she's earned.

TennisGhost
Feb 22nd, 2014, 04:54 PM
It's clearly Sharapova, even though I prefer JCap.

edit: old topic :o

iWill
Feb 22nd, 2014, 04:58 PM
I can't in good conscious vote for either so I said equal :o

Mexicola
Feb 22nd, 2014, 04:59 PM
It was a debatable question when this thread was made in 2008. But, today, the answer is Sharapova by a wide margin.

You can say that Jennifer had more talent than Maria. However, we all know the stories of how Cap wasted her talent and a good portion of her career.

ce
Feb 22nd, 2014, 05:06 PM
Is this even a question. Maria of.cource

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

kvaker81
Feb 22nd, 2014, 05:16 PM
Jen, of course. Much more talented, but less lucky :( If Maria was playing the the 90's, she wouldn't get anywhere close to top-20 IMO :lol:

Sammo
Feb 22nd, 2014, 05:33 PM
Back when the poll was created it was Capriati. 3 Slams + 1 Gold Medal >>> 3 Slams. Now it's obviously Sharapova.

oddkayla
Feb 22nd, 2014, 05:54 PM
Even when the thread was made in 2008 the answe was still Maria. I'm not a Maria fan but Jennifer is greater only when you compare their 14yr old selves

malarkist
Feb 22nd, 2014, 06:09 PM
maria. just so i said it here. before we all die

Serenita
Feb 22nd, 2014, 06:48 PM
I can't in good conscious vote for either so I said equal :o

me too:lol:

Queen Vika
Feb 22nd, 2014, 10:10 PM
Maria because of her slams. Jen had more talent though.

Panther24
Feb 22nd, 2014, 10:17 PM
Yeah, this poll is old. :tape:

I like Capriati as well, but the answer is definitely Maria now.

TennisGrandSlam
Feb 22nd, 2014, 11:32 PM
Meaningless camparison

MaSha is greater on Career Grand Slam, and more accomplished

But Capriatti is greater on comeback

Kasey
Feb 22nd, 2014, 11:37 PM
Hard to say.
Sharapova is taller, Capriati gets the breadth. Both have equals shoulders though.