PDA

View Full Version : is Jankovic just like capriati without the forehand?

liuxuan
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
ive been thinking this more and more recently. they both have dodgy serves compared with their main rivals, amazing movement and speed, they can both occasionally use a variety of shots if they need to. jankovic's main strength is her backhand, but jennifers was realy good too.

the only difference is jennifers stunnin forehand while JJ's is average.

to boot, jankovic now seems to be stuck in the habit, like jennifer was after Aus 2002, of consistently reaching SF's and F's, beating players shes supposed tom, but getting pipped by the top top players despite some brave fighting,.

what u think>?

Optima
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I think her forehand is underrated, but it definitely could be better.

Mikey.
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Her forehand just has more spin that the majority of the other girls. The extreme western grip makes the shot look slower and not as powerful. But this is what helps her on clay.

Mina Vagante
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I like her forehand too.

But I don't think she's like Jennifer

Expat
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:09 PM
if anything she resembles clijsters
consistently reaching the latter stages and then losing to the eventual winner at slams
jennifer had to deal with peak serena and peak venus since f0 2002

Dave.
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Maybe Jankovic is like Capriati after 2002, but that's it. Capriati at her best (early 90's, and in 01-02) is much better than Jankovic (although I still think we haven't seen the best of Jelena yet).

Kampi
No, because she is Jelena Jankovic so to speak.;)

1987518LPF
i don't think so! plz come on!

Slutiana
Apr 19th, 2008, 06:29 PM
No, JJ is like Kim. Tati is like Jen. :p

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 19th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Maybe Jankovic is like Capriati after 2002, but that's it. Capriati at her best (early 90's, and in 01-02) is much better than Jankovic...

Agreed. Give JJ a Capriati forehand and she's guaranteed to win a major eventually.

Nicolás89
Apr 19th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Jankovic is way faster than Capriati ever was.
And Jankovic may not have a Capriati forehand but she has a Jankovic backhand, which is, in my opinion, a better shot.

SV_Fan
Apr 19th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Jankovic doesnt hit flat like Mary Carillo says. She puts topspin on the ball quite often but not to much to make it jump just to go safely over the net.

die_wahrheit
Apr 19th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Jankovic is still a woman.
Capriati is an italian bull.

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 19th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Jankovic is way faster than Capriati ever was.disagree
And Jankovic may not have a Capriati forehand but she has a Jankovic backhand, which is, in my opinion, a better shot.No way

champGS1452
Apr 19th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Jankovic is way faster than Capriati ever was.
And Jankovic may not have a Capriati forehand but she has a Jankovic backhand, which is, in my opinion, a better shot.

:spit:

Mr. Magassi
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Capriati had a better, harder serve (check out how she served at OZ01), and her backhand was great (would hit many winners DLT and inside out); but of course, her forehand was the real weapon.

hingisGOAT
Apr 19th, 2008, 09:13 PM
They're not that similar. Capriati served way harder, her forehand was way better, although her backhand was pretty standard for a top player while Jankovic's backhand is pure excellence. Capriati had a good aggressive game, and a bit of variety with volleys, slices, etc. Jankovic is much more of a counter-puncher, albeit a great one

Olórin
Apr 19th, 2008, 09:28 PM
disagree
No way

I'm with you there.

Plus, Capriati's serve may not have been much to speak about compared to Serena's, Venus' and Lindsay's, but it was still pretty darn solid and not as much of weakness as Jelena's.

Jennifer just hit harder and her groundstrokes weren't as consistent as Jelena's.

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 19th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I'm with you there.

...Capriati's serve may not have been much to speak about compared to Serena's, Venus' and Lindsay's, but it was still pretty darn solid...

agreed. Especially when she wasn't getting the "yips."

azinna
Apr 19th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Capriati is much more of an aggressive shotmaker. In fact, she came up as a flashy, aggressive baseliner (see 1991 USOpen semi against Monica) who eventually realized she could turn her speed, anticipation and reflexes into great defense. While JJ is an innate counter-puncher/defender who's still having trouble staying aggressive enough to win big matches. When you start factoring in serves, forehands, swinging volley and mental makeup, the differences become a bit too significant.

powerbackhand
Apr 20th, 2008, 08:53 AM
No, JJ is like Kim. Tati is like Jen. :p

but tati is slow and has a good seve (sometimes):p

Andy.
Apr 20th, 2008, 08:57 AM
They are reversed Jankovic has the backhand and Capriati had the forehand.

Slutiana
Apr 20th, 2008, 10:02 AM
but tati is slow and has a good seve (sometimes):p
As I said before in another thread, people seem to think she's still 16. She's gotten wayyy quicker since then. Not as quick as Jen Cap but she's moulded herself into an athelete superior to most. Something the likes of Ivanovic, Sharapova and Vaidisova are yet to do.

faboozadoo15
Apr 20th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Not many will agree with me, but I think Ivanovic plays a hell of a lot more like Capirati, with less adept movement.
Jankovic is a lot like Clijsters but with a more solid but less agressive forehand, a more brilliant backhand, and less of a big serve.

Andy.
Apr 20th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Not many will agree with me, but I think Ivanovic plays a hell of a lot more like Capirati, with less adept movement.
Jankovic is a lot like Clijsters but with a more solid but less agressive forehand, a more brilliant backhand, and less of a big serve.
I have always thought Ana played like the new Mary Pierce just with not as good a backhand and serve but I could be alone on that ???

The Dawntreader
Apr 20th, 2008, 12:24 PM
The forehands not at all average when she looks to go or it. Hits it way later than her backhand though and the footwork never looks as steady on that link. Hits better forehands DTL that's for sure than CC.

I never though Capriati's forehand was 'amazing' though. It was good, but sometimes she could look so off-balance, like she was tight-rope wallking or something:lol:

The Dawntreader
Apr 20th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I'm with you there.

Plus, Capriati's serve may not have been much to speak about compared to Serena's, Venus' and Lindsay's, but it was still pretty darn solid and not as much of weakness as Jelena's.

Jennifer just hit harder and her groundstrokes weren't as consistent as Jelena's.

I agree about the serve. Jennifer's serve actually improved in the latter stages of her career eg 2003/04. I remember she had a horrible serving year in 2002, just couldnt find anything solid regarding technique to work with. Had quite a high toss too fundamentally so it was always going to be hard.

Jelena's first serve can be good when she relies on placement and precision, but that second serve is nothing. She doesnt even look to put any top or slice on it, she just plops back in court. Very Myskina-esque:lol:

Wayn77
Apr 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Not at all ...

Jenny was a big-hitting aggressive baseline hustler, great defense and could unleash a killer forehand. Probably superior in the mid-court department as well.

JJ uses swift movement, patiently unleashing an opening by moving her opponent around, side to side. The less said about the second serve the better, the forehand is slowly improving.

sebbe
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Wouldn't jankovic be a much better player if she played more aggressive? Just like dementieva?

HardCandy
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Capriati wasn't that aggressive.
Jankovic can open the court much better but Capriati was much better mentally.

tennnisfannn
Apr 20th, 2008, 03:14 PM
So far it lookks like she will be the Capriati (thorn) in Serena's flesh, even at her peak (serena) Jennifer always troubled serena.

chuvack
Apr 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM
No. Jankovic is not much like Capriati, who had a more complete game.

You can not win a Grand Slam title with a backhand and nothing else, and Jankovic is the proof of that.