PDA

View Full Version : Vera Zvonareva is Headed Back to the Top 10!

Equipped
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Now that she's made the semifinals at Charleston, Vera will jump to at least 14 in the rankings.

Even more importantly, she has absolutely no points to defend until the US Open! If she keeps up the stellar pace she has set thus far this season, she should be back in the Top 10 very soon!

Keep up the good work, Vera!

schorsch
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I know :D Thats so awesome :)

Sir Stefwhit
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:55 PM
She is Sooooo deserving of a spot in the top ten. I'm not at all a fan of hers, but I think she's got a great game and although she can sometimes be emotionally weak- I've always considered her a top 10 player. It always seemed weird to me that he ranking was so low for so long- but she was always getting injured so that's probably why.

Good to have her where she belongs- I hope she bumps Bartoli out- if Bartoli is still in the top 10.

In The Zone
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM
She deserves it! :D She clearly has been one of the best this year.

She can replace Chakvetadze and Davenport can replace Hantuchova and all will be good with the world!

Mikey.
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Yeah she has been doing very well lately. Her win against JJ this week is very commendable because JJ has been playing very well this season. Hope she plays well against Lena today. It would be interesting if Vera got to the final. I'd like to see how she went against Serena. Although it would also be interesting to see how Lena would go against Serena considering Lena won their last meeting in Moscow.

Anyways, nice work Vera. Keep it up :yeah:

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Now that she's made the semifinals at Charleston, Vera will jump to at least 14 in the rankings.

Even more importantly, she has absolutely no points to defend until the US Open! If she keeps up the stellar pace she has set thus far this season, she should be back in the Top 10 very soon!

Zvonareva's non-mandatory tournaments points counted towards her rankings:
Doha – 325
Charleston – 195+
Luxembourg – 125
Indian Wells – 115
Moscow – 110
Hobart – 80
Bangalore – 70
Quebec - 65
Zurich – 60
Auckland – 30
Portoroz – 30

She can play 3 "free of deductions" tournaments -- two GS (RG+Wim) and one non-mandatory event. Points she gains at all other events will replace points from aforementioned tournaments.

InsideOut.
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:06 PM
^Who knows, it may be Zvonareva vs. Cornet in final :eek:

LudwigDvorak
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Doha – 325
Charleston – 195+
Luxembourg – 125
Indian Wells – 115
Moscow – 110
Hobart – 80
Bangalore – 70
Quebec - 65
Zurich – 60
Auckland – 30
Portoroz – 30

She can play 3 "free of deductions" tournaments -- two GS (RG+Wim) and one non-mandatory event. Points she gains at all other events will replace points from aforementioned tournaments.

Hobart to Portoroz there are not big numbers. If she keeps making QF and SF at TI/II events, those will be fairly easily replaced.

If you take out Chakvetadze, add in Zvonareva, and bump a Serbian for Davenport and Kuz for Amelie, this top ten would be perfect. :hearts:

Wiggly
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:22 PM
She's making tons of Tier I semis/finals this year. :eek:

blackcrave
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:33 PM
more russians to the top 10.. congratulations vera

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Hobart to Portoroz there are not big numbers. If she keeps making QF and SF at TI/II events, those will be fairly easily replaced.

Tier II semis = 125 points, Tier I quarters = 110 points. She won't gain enough points by just being consistent. Though with Chakvetadze slumping she's definitely got a chance.

She's making tons of Tier I semis/finals this year. :eek:

With draws she gets it's not that hard to do.

Cheeseburger
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Nice one Vera. :D

jeep0h
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:36 PM
so cool last year she's rank 20 going into charleston and make the semis there, DID NOT PLAY AT ALL until USO and she's ranked 28 going into USO.. drop only 8 places.. how cool is that..

Mikey.
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Tier II semis = 125 points, Tier I quarters = 110 points. She won't gain enough points by just being consistent. Though with Chakvetadze slumping she's definitely got a chance.

I agree she has had some easy draws this season, but she has done well to take advantage of them. Several players at the end of last season had so many easy draws but couldn't take advantage. This Charleston draw hasn't been a cakedraw though. She has done well. So good on Vera. :yeah:

Monica_Rules
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Good to see. I like Veras game. If she was little bit more stable she could probably go even higher.

Chrisi
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Great. She is playing really well this year!

Slutati
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Vera:woohoo:

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I'm really happy for the Z!! I like her firey, feisty spirit- so emotional.

Sir Stefwhit
Apr 19th, 2008, 07:36 PM

Over the last 12 months she's beaten a lot of quality opponents (from this event last year, to this event this year):

Ivanovic
Safina
Peer
Harkleroad
Azarenka
Bartoli
Mauremso
Radwanska
Na Li
Jankovic

Those are great results!

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 19th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Over the last 12 months she's beaten a lot of quality opponents (from this event last year, to this event this year):

Ivanovic
Safina
Peer
Harkleroad
Azarenka
Bartoli
Mauremso
Radwanska
Na Li
Jankovic

Those are great results!

Great results?
One needs to be a Schnyder ala 2006 to be in Top-10 with that kind of wins.
Jankovic is the only impressive scalp from the list.

Dodoboy.
Apr 19th, 2008, 07:53 PM
She has been playing very well this year.

After Wimbledon i expect her to be #10/#9

Expat
Apr 19th, 2008, 07:55 PM
if zvonoreva wins this semi i expect her to be the favorite against serena here
somehow serena always messes up charleston
dementieva will be steamrolled if she wins

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 19th, 2008, 07:58 PM
It sure looks like it. I hope she can remain healthy for the rest of the year. If Vera is having one of her stellar "on days" then she can beat most of the players within the current top 10 :bounce:. She has gotten allot mentally tougher over the past few years. Staying fit ( injury free ) is the key factor with Vera Z these days. :bounce:.

Destiny
Apr 19th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Go Vera , keep marching but not too much :rocker:

Emina.
Apr 19th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Vera :D

goldenlox
Apr 19th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Vera was injured in January and retired in round 1 of the AO.
She came back in Doha and from Doha on, she's been compiling points in a top 5 way.
But she lost that Doha final to Maria, and she still hasn't won a Tier I final.

Lapin
Apr 19th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Well done Vera! :clap2: Good to see you back!

Sir Stefwhit
Apr 20th, 2008, 12:10 AM
With so many Russians on top she picked a good time to get her ranking up- with the Olympics approaching. Now maybe she'll get a chance to play for em.

LudwigDvorak
Apr 20th, 2008, 12:12 AM
With some many Russians on top she picked a good time to get her ranking up- with the Olympics approaching. Now maybe she'll get a chance to play for em.

I just asked cpu6ja about this in a PM. His response:
If you Dementieva fan, despite todays lose you dont have reason for panic:
- 473 points (even 343 if she win tommorow) difference is to big for Zvonareva. She will played only 3 tournaments (but Elena which is also in-form will play same number).
- If 2008 trend continue Elena will overtake Chakvetadze, and in that case even if Vera overtake her she will be Russian TOP4.

Makes sense to me. I hope Chakvetadze falls far enough to let both Elena and Vera in.

ewbangkok
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:02 AM
I am pround of Vera....come back where you belong@

Il Primo!
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I'm not fan of her by any mean but it's encouraging to see her resurgence after such a difficult period. Anyways, there are still some places left in the top10 since Hantuchova and Chokevetadze are still ruining it.

Sir Stefwhit
Apr 20th, 2008, 02:01 AM
I just asked cpu6ja about this in a PM. His response:
If you Dementieva fan, despite todays lose you dont have reason for panic:
- 473 points (even 343 if she win tommorow) difference is to big for Zvonareva. She will played only 3 tournaments (but Elena which is also in-form will play same number).
- If 2008 trend continue Elena will overtake Chakvetadze, and in that case even if Vera overtake her she will be Russian TOP4.

Makes sense to me. I hope Chakvetadze falls far enough to let both Elena and Vera in.
Interesting, thanks!

I'm not much of a Vera fan, I'm just a fan of her being in the top 10. I would much rather have Lena_D go to the Olympics- but I do think Vera would better represent Russian than Chakvetadze would.

How many people from one country are allowed to play singles- is it three??

Slutati
Apr 20th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Interesting, thanks!

I'm not much of a Vera fan, I'm just a fan of her being in the top 10. I would much rather have Lena_D go to the Olympics- but I do think Vera would better represent Russian than Chakvetadze would.

How many people from one country are allowed to play singles- is it three??
I think it's four.I'm not sure though:shrug:
So the best Russian team right now would be: Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Dementieva, Zvonareva.

LudwigDvorak
Apr 20th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Anna is defending Warsaw QF and Rome 3R. Her AI 3R defended her Berlin 2R, basically. Those 70 pts from Warsaw come off, and she probably loses 2R or 3R in both Berlin and Rome. If Elena QFs in Berlin and defends Istanbul, then makes 4R or QF in Paris, she's ahead of Chavketadze. That's probably asking too much, though. :o

Even if Vera wins Prague and does well in Rome AND Paris, I'm not sure how she'd get ahead of Anna to be in Olympics...Dani's time in the top ten is running out, though.

homogenius
Apr 20th, 2008, 04:16 AM
:worship:

AcesHigh
Apr 20th, 2008, 05:18 AM
REALLY great to see Zvonareva back. :yeah: She's a great player and hopefully she gets back to top 10 soon

Equipped
Apr 20th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Doha – 325
Charleston – 195+
Luxembourg – 125
Indian Wells – 115
Moscow – 110
Hobart – 80
Bangalore – 70
Quebec - 65
Zurich – 60
Auckland – 30
Portoroz – 30

Replace or not replace, she still has no points to defend. Given the pace at which she's been playing, those low-points events in her ranking will fall away.

Summer_Snow
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:55 PM
It would be great to see her get back to where she belongs :)

schorsch
Apr 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM
14 now. Comoan !!! :D