PDA

View Full Version : Ana Ivanovic nominated for 2008 Women of Courage Award by the U.S. State Department

Slavko
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Good day people! The U.S. Department has nominated Ana Ivanovic for the 2008 Women of Courage Award!

I've added the announcement and link:

America.gov

17 April 2008

Beautiful Tennis Sensation Is Also a Philanthropist
UNICEF Ambassador Ana Ivanovic is committed to the rights of children

By Jane Morse
Staff Writer

Washington -- Search the Internet and you will find hundreds of photos of the beautiful Ana Ivanovic. But it takes a little more digging to discover that this 20-year-old tennis superstar from Serbia is a philanthropist as well.

In 2007 Ivanovic accepted the post of national ambassador for UNICEF to her homeland. In this post, she serves as an advocate for children’s rights, especially in education and child protection.

One of her first acts as UNICEF ambassador was to fund the School without Violence Program in three additional schools in Serbia. Launched by UNICEF in 2003, the program educates children, teachers, parents and the broader community in Serbia about the problem of intolerance, violence and harassment in schools. UNICEF, in partnership with various departments in the Serbian government, is working to implement this novel program in more than 50 schools throughout the country.

In announcing her financial donation, Ivanovic said, “I will give my contribution and hope that it will add up to the positive changes that are occurring for children in Serbia.”

This talented athlete, now the sixth-ranked female player in the world, first picked up a tennis racket at the age of 5 after watching the game on television. Inspired by Monica Seles of Yugoslavia, who then held the world’s Number 1 position in tennis, Ivanovic started out practicing in a swimming pool.

“It was a club where they had an Olympic pool, but it was very expensive to keep it warm during the winter and not many people were using it,” Ivanovic explained. “So they emptied the pool and put a carpet inside and placed two tennis courts in it. It was impossible to play cross court because you were so close to the wall, and we had to keep playing down the lines."

Born the year that Slobodan Milosevic came to power and began Serbia’s descent into pariah status, Ivanovic now provides a shining example of professional excellence and dedicated service to young Serbs. For this reason, she was nominated for the U.S. Secretary of State’s 2008 Women of Courage Award. The award, inaugurated in 2007, is the result of Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice’s desire to recognize exceptional women around the globe.

America.gov link (http://www.america.gov/st/hr-english/2008/April/20080417112947jesrom0.8621637.html)

This nomination is better than when I hinted for a meeting of the 2006 US Open Series Champion, Ana Ivanovic, and the then [2006] U.S. Ambassador to Serbia, during a State Department live internet web chat.

Wiggly
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:40 PM
"This talented athlete, now the sixth-ranked female player in the world". :confused:

It's rather unclear she is nominated for either her looks, her Unicef's help or the old swimming pool thing.

Looks like a huge honor. Too bad the article looks like it was written for a local Mississippi newspapers. :tape:

Congrats.

Cp6uja
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:51 PM
"This talented athlete, now the sixth-ranked female player in the world". :confused:

It's rather unclear she is nominated for either her looks, her Unicef's help or the old swimming pool thing.

Looks like a huge honor. Too bad the article looks like it was written for a local Mississippi newspapers. :tape:

Congrats.Right... she is nominated b/c swimming pool and her look and if US officials knows that she is not #6 (she is current #2) in the world... she will never get this nomination :p

schorsch
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Right, like JJ isnt a UNICEF ambassador for Serbia -_-

Wiggly
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Right... she is nominated b/c swimming pool and her look and if US officials knows that she is not #6 (she is current #2) in the world... she will never get this nomination :p

Like I said, it's weird to see such a bad article for that kind of award.

Focus on Unicef, that's more important than whatever else. ;)

mure
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:06 PM
oh my...i'm afraid these news won't exactly cheer most oh her compatriots up...:confused:

DownTheLine21
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:08 PM
This is a great honor. Is there going to be some kind of ceremony?

Nikkiri
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:09 PM
JJ fans gonna cause another stink :o

cocco80
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:16 PM
oh my...i'm afraid these news won't exactly cheer most oh her compatriots up...:confused:

not true at all.

SOA_MC
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Waiting for the Ana haters to show up and tell us she hasn't won a slam yet:angel:

Destiny
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:19 PM
:o

mure
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:25 PM
we're talkin about an award given by the state departent right?i thought the anti americanism in serbia has reached a new high after the kosovo issue (and not without a reason.. if a coutry's government was resposible for bombing the hell out of mine i'd be pretty mad at them too )

anyway since u r a serbian i guess u know better

cocco80
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:31 PM
we're talkin about an award given by the state departent right?i thought the anti americanism in serbia has reached a new high after the kosovo issue (and not without a reason.. if a coutry's government was resposible for bombing the hell out of mine i'd be pretty mad at them too )

things are never black and white. I hope you'll understand what I meant by this.

Slavko
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Congrats.

Ana was nominated for her courage to stand up to violence in Serbia's schools. You believe me when I say students in Serbia have access to weapons from the 1990’s civil wars. This information was passed on to me from Serbia’s MUP, Serbia’s Ministry of Internal Affairs .

Ana not only achieved Nation wide media coverage but also international coverage. Ana put her money where her mouth is and donated her TSN Sportscentre commercial money to UNICEF in order to initiate the Schools Without Violence programme in Serbia. Within months she donated a further $60 000 to the Schools Without Violence programme from a December 7, 2007 charity event called NAJ (prefix for “best“). This week, prior to her nomination for 2008 Women of Courage Award, UNIFEC announced Ana Ivanovic’s initiative and funding for Schools Without Violence programme has expanded from the initial three schools to fifteen schools. That is fast for being an UNIFEC Ambassador for seven months while touring the world, competing in tennis and many other obligations.

Ana has plenty to be proud of for her age, gender and upbringing as a citizen of Serbia. Ana Ivanovic should win this award!

Slavko
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:54 PM

In a democracy not everyone likes the result of the votes or decisions. I am 100% certain not all Americans, not even the majority, would agree with the Clinton adminstration's decisions, nor the follow-up generated during the current Bush adminstration. With that said, there are those that do get a chance to voice themselves about the good in Serbia from the State Department's viewpoint.

madamtennis
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:57 PM
ajde ANA:bounce: she deserves it

kolio985
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:04 PM
You believe me when I say students in Serbia have access to weapons from the 1990’s civil wars. This information was passed on to me from Serbia’s MUP, Serbia’s Ministry of Internal Affairs .

BULLSHIT

Cp6uja
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Congrats.Like I said, it's weird to see such a bad article for that kind of award.

Focus on Unicef, that's more important than whatever else. ;)I'm actualy talking about your traditional attempts to underrate Ana at every thread about her at WTAW this year. In Ana case you are like fly (trols and classic hatters is better - IMO)... But OK... It's your right to thinking that Ana nominated for this because her good look and b/c US Goverment officials actualy dont have clue about her or WTA tour (on-court, off-court) in generaly and that is reason for that amateur deccission.

And please dont replay me with cinical "BUT I CONGRATS HER" or something like that b/c i finaly send you message like this after ignoring too much yours this seasons posts... everytime when somebody send something about Ana here, her talent, results, personality, looks or whatever (including even her humanitarian works like in this case) you have some cinical reactions and complain...

Slavko
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:37 PM
BULLSHIT

I am telling you what MUPa told me. Who do you think you are saying that I am not telling the truth? Are you a member of MUPa and know all of the conversations amoung its staff with others? This conversation that I am referring to was located in a place bombed by NATO.

The violence in Serbia is real. Recently an adolecent shot another with a handgun. It was in the news. If you can read Serbian you wouldn't be disputing it.

This week a 17 year died from a stabbing at a highschool two weeks ago, (http://www.b92.net/eng/news/crimes-article.php?yyyy=2008&mm=04&dd=14&nav_id=49401) in Subotica, Serbia.

spiritedenergy
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:42 PM
OMG Ana I'm so proud of you!!! You are only 20 but you achieved so much in life!!! You are the role model for the women of the world, that it is possible to achieve great things with fairness and reach their own goals and at the same time do good for others.

Ana I love you:hearts::angel::worship:

kolio985
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I am telling you what MUPa told me.Then, cop is telling bullshit around. This conversation that I am referring to was located in a place bombed by NATO.:confused:

The violence in Serbia is real. Recently an adolecent shot another with a handgun. It was in the news. If you can read Serbian you wouldn't be disputing it.I live in Serbia, thak you wery much. That was hooligan fight.

This week a 17 year died from a stabbing at a highschool two weeks ago, (http://www.b92.net/eng/news/crimes-article.php?yyyy=2008&mm=04&dd=14&nav_id=49401) in Subotica, Serbia.Was the knife from war?

Kids in schools do not have weapons here.

Slutati
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Waiting for the Ana haters to show up and tell us she hasn't won a slam yet:angel:
Ana hasn't won a slam yet!:p

Just kidding, congrats

Sean.
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Is this like a really big thing?

Who are previous winners and other nominees?

Cp6uja
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:24 PM
...Violence in Serbians schools is bigger problem than mostly people thinking here b/c nobody talking seriously about this problem, so its very good because so famouos person and teenage roll-model like Ana will help our community to face with this phenom and some warning stats totaly unusual in modern Europe (more looks like in some parts of USA or South America).

But that story about students and military weapons from civil war which you heard is out of reality. School violence here is connected with violent behavior (fights, hooliganism, alcoholism/drugs problems...etc) like everyvere around the world (but in bigger proportions than Europian standards).

Armed Children groops is existing problem only in some countries of central and south Africa with permanent civil war and starvation or in some big worlds cities which some parts have enormuos crime rates (some NY/LA ghettos, Rio favelas...etc). But not in modern Serbia of course.

Who are previous winners and other nominees?Ana will be first (probably)!

Slavko
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Then, cop is telling bullshit around. :confused:

I live in Serbia, thak you wery much. That was hooligan fight.

Was the knife from war?

Kids in schools do not have weapons here.

Should I explain to you what paragraphs mean, or should I make three posts instead of three paragraphs? The knife is not in reference to war. Why would the cop lie when MUPa has evidence? Serbia's youth do have access to weapons, whether it is from war or not. You're in denial.

[Novi Sad, Serbia] Boy kills classmate (http://www.b92.net/eng/news/crimes-article.php?yyyy=2008&mm=04&dd=09&nav_id=49258) is not a "hooligan fight". Source: B92 news April 9, 2008

Weapons are not the problem, it's the software in their head that leads them to violence. Therefore, it does not matter if weapons are available to a youngster.

schorsch
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Mods, please do something about this guy... -_- This is not a political board and I'm tired of these prejudices. Thx.

Anyhow :p Jankovic should be nominated then, too :p :p :p

kolio985
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Why would the cop lie when MUPa has evidence? Because A.C.A.B. Serbia's youth do have access to weapons, whether it is from war or not. You're in denial.
You are exaggerating
[Novi Sad, Serbia] Boy kills classmate (http://www.b92.net/eng/news/crimes-article.php?yyyy=2008&mm=04&dd=09&nav_id=49258) is not a "hooligan fight". Source: B92 news April 9, 2008Sorry, i tought you are talking abouth other murder.

Slavko
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Mods, please do something about this guy... -_- This is not a political board and I'm tired of these prejudices. Thx.

Anyhow :p Jankovic should be nominated then, too :p :p :p

Which person are you referring too?

Please state the courageous act Jankovic did that would nominate her for such an award.

spiritedenergy
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:44 PM

Who are previous winners and other nominees?

they are people from all over the world that fight for human rights Not necessary famous people. And I don't think it's a nominee/winner system, there are a lot of winners every year. But it' a HUGE achievement.

Emina.
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I think this is great! Congrats Ana! :yeah:

Slavko
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Because A.C.A.B.
You are exaggerating
Sorry, i tought you are talking abouth other murder.

Can't communicate with you on a coherent level.

kolio985
Apr 19th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I do not know what coherent means :shrug: Can you say it in serbian? I hope you didn't forget it. I can change.

Epigone
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Ana was nominated for her courage to stand up to violence in Serbia's schools.It's nice to see Ana being nominated for this award in recognition of her great work, but how has she displayed courage?

Ne razumem :confused:

morningglory
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Right, like JJ isnt a UNICEF ambassador for Serbia -_-

is she? '_'?
Good for Ana!

dybbuk
Apr 19th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Congrats Ana! :D

Poor Jelena, she's done just as much. :o

tenn_ace
Apr 19th, 2008, 11:30 PM
wonder who will be nominated for courage to stop violence in US UNIVERSITIES, COLLEGES, SCHOOLS, MALLS, GAS STATIONS, ETC.............. :p

incognito
Apr 19th, 2008, 11:51 PM
If I was Ana I would think twice before associating myself in any way with the US government, this is an "award" that she could do without...

Slavko
Apr 19th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Committing oneself and money to stop schoolyard violence in a society that is addicted to nicotine, and all the behaviour and abuse to others that comes with its use, is courageous for a recognized world travelling teenage lady.

Not that I expect you to know, but, we must also consider Serbia’s psychiatrist Dr. Sandra Raskovic’s advice, during a lecture at the University of Toronto in 1994, that people must accept the psychiatry profession as a societal norm, just as seeing the dentist is normal without any stigma or stereotypes attached.

Further proof of Ana's courage, in my opinion, occured when Ana asked businessmen to join the programme she initiated with monetary donations. Hopefully the legitimate and illegitimate businessmen that created and/or continue to create money from cigarettes have or will donate proudly or anonymously to the Schools Without Violence programme.

It's nice to see Ana being nominated for this award in recognition of her great work, but how has she displayed courage?

Ne razumem :confused:

Slavko
Apr 19th, 2008, 11:58 PM
I do not know what coherent means :shrug: Can you say it in serbian? I hope you didn't forget it. I can change.
Не конташ моје речи. But that's ok, your intentions are what matters most.

Slavko
Apr 20th, 2008, 12:15 AM
This appeared just recently on Ana's web site:

Ana nominated for U.S. State Department award
April 19, 2008 /

http://www.anaivanovic.com/image.php?file=pictures/news/1134/0471_5Final_L_.jpg&width=350&scale=aspect_ratio

The U.S. State Department has nominated Ana for its 2008 International Women of Courage Award. The accolade was created by U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in order to recognise exceptional women around the globe.

"This is a big surprise," said Ana. "It's a great honour and I'd like to thank them for paying me such a great compliment like this."

In addition to reaching No.2 in the world rankings and finishing runner-up at two Grand Slams, in the past year Ana became a UNICEF ambassador for Serbia. Since her inauguration in September 2007 she has not only donated a considerable sum that has enabled 15 schools to join the "Schools Without Violence" programme, she has raised awareness about child safety through her off-court activities, which included writing a newspaper column that benefited UNICEF during the Australian Open.

The nomination is the latest in a long line of honours bestowed upon the 20-year-old in recent weeks. Last month she scooped the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour's 2007 Karen Krantzcke Sponsmanship award and was simultaneously named the 2007 Most Improved Player.

Last week a postage stamp bearing her image was released in Serbia, while 2008 began with Ana being named the best-looking player in the history of tennis by The Age newspaper in Australia.

Link (http://www.anaivanovic.com/?path=start/news&detailpage=1134) to the above article.

incognito
Apr 20th, 2008, 12:37 AM
^^ You seem to be more excited with this award than Ana herself is, any particular reason for that?

Slavko
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:01 AM
^^ You seem to be more excited with this award than Ana herself is, any particular reason for that?

:lol: You want me to comment on your speculation that I am more excited than Ana?

Cp6uja
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:07 AM
If I was Ana I would think twice before associating myself in any way with the US government, this is an "award" that she could do without...You talking like official national medals and awards of some big and serious countries is something dirty (even this with "Women of Courage" name)...

So what do you think, what will be influence of this award on her if she "accept"... she will be "obligen" to spy for Americans (or whatever) or she will with more Enthusiasm try to do all this things which is obviously globaly recognized and respected?

^^ You seem to be more excited with this award than Ana herself is, any particular reason for that?If Ana "in shame" b/c this nomination she will not for sure put this exclusive information on her official site. This slavko with his style litle remind me on that Mr. Gospodin which realy bored me on Ana subforum, but for this exclusive news he have all my congratulations.

edificio
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:11 AM
This award has already been conferred. I fail to understand why Ana would be nominated at all, especially when you see the women who did receive this (basically meaningless) award. Ana is a good tennis player, but I don't see what she has done to deserve even a nomination.

Office of the Spokesman
Washington, DC
March 10, 2008

Secretary of State Confers the International Women of Courage Awards

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Under Secretary for Democracy and Global Affairs Paula Dobriansky today marked International Women’s Day 2008 by presenting the second annual International Women of Courage Award to eight women around the globe who have shown exceptional courage and leadership in advocating for women’s rights and advancement. This is the only Department of State award paying tribute to emerging women leaders worldwide and offering a unique opportunity for transformational diplomacy in the field of international women’s issues.

The honorees from Afghanistan, Fiji, Iraq, Kosovo, Pakistan, Palestinian Authority, Paraguay, and Somalia have transformed their societies and serve as an inspiration to the international community. They are among over 95 exceptional women of courage nominated by U.S. Embassies worldwide for their diverse contributions to freedom, justice, peace, and equality.

This year, the Department honored the following women of courage from six regions:

Suraya Pakzad (Afghanistan)

Suraya Pakzad founded “Voice of Women,” one of the few organizations dedicated to helping women in the western region of Afghanistan. The non-governmental organization operated under Taliban rule, and continues to provide shelter and counseling to women and girls who have escaped forced marriages.

Virisila Buadromo (Fiji)

Virisila Buadromo, Executive Director of the Fiji Women’s Rights Movement (FWRM), advocates for gender equality, legal and political reform, and democracy, despite challenges and threats from Fiji’s military coup-led government.

Dr. Eaman Al-Gobory (Iraq)

Dr. Eaman Al-Gobory searches hospitals, clinics and rehabilitation centers for sick and wounded children in need of specialized care that could only be received outside of the country and also works to build capacity to meet their needs in Iraq.

Valdete Idrizi (Kosovo)

Valdete Idrizi, an ethnic Albanian internally displaced person (IDP), crosses frequently into majority Serb areas in northern Kosovo to run women’s and youth projects aimed at reconciliation and peace-building among the various ethnic communities.

Nibal Thawabteh (Palestinian Authority)

Nibal Thawabteh was the first woman to be elected to the Beit Fajjar Village Council, a very conservative village near Bethlehem. She founded a monthly newspaper, Al Hal (“The Situation”) that covers controversial issues including honor killings, polygamy, and the plight of the poor. She also is a published author and is working on a novel dealing with previously unexplored issues concerning women in the Arab world.

Dr. Begum Jan (Pakistan)

Dr. Begum Jan, Chairperson of the Tribal Women Welfare Association (TWWA), works to empower the voice and role of women in traditional communities of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) in northwest Pakistan.

Cynthia Bendlin (Paraguay)

Cynthia Bendlin has exhibited outstanding courage and leadership in combating the trafficking of women in the Tri-Border area of Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay. Ms. Bendlin continues her efforts despite forced relocation and repeated death threats by criminal mafia who control the human trafficking trade.

Farhiyo Farah Ibrahim (Somalia)

Farhiyo Farah Ibrahim, a young Somali woman living in the Dadaab refugee camp in Kenya, has worked tirelessly on behalf of women, girls, and refugees and campaigned tirelessly against practices like female genital mutilation (FGM) and violence against women.

2008/166

Released on March 10, 2008

Source: http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2008/mar/102066.htm

Ben.
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Well done Ana :yeah:

Slavko
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:40 AM
This slavko with his style litle remind me on that Mr. Gospodin which realy bored me on Ana subforum, but for this exclusive news he have all my congratulations.

Thank you for the compliment.

Speaking of Ana's subforum, this is the link (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=339999) to the same topic in the Ana sub-forum.

Just Do It
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:56 AM
“It was a club where they had an Olympic pool, but it was very expensive to keep it warm during the winter and not many people were using it,” Ivanovic explained. “So they emptied the pool and put a carpet inside and placed two tennis courts in it. It was impossible to play cross court because you were so close to the wall, and we had to keep playing down the lines."

Just shot me !!!

The award, inaugurated in 2007, is the result of Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice’s desire to recognize exceptional women around the globe.

*BARF*

incognito
Apr 20th, 2008, 01:57 AM
:lol: You want me to comment on your speculation that I am more excited than Ana?

Well, you bought yourself a lifetime membership in order to post 15 messages (all that you have posted so far) on the issue of this basically worthless award, so it seems like this means something to you. Ana has gotten far better awards and nominations than this one, and this award in particular is one she shouldn't be proud of...

You talking like official national medals and awards of some big and serious countries is something dirty (even this with "Women of Courage" name)...

So what do you think, what will be influence of this award on her if she "accept"... she will be "obligen" to spy for Americans (or whatever) or she will with more Enthusiasm try to do all this things which is obviously globaly recognized and respected?

If Ana "in shame" b/c this nomination she will not for sure put this exclusive information on her official site. This slavko with his style litle remind me on that Mr. Gospodin which realy bored me on Ana subforum, but for this exclusive news he have all my congratulations.
The US government is waging a diplomatic war against Serbia as we speak and if you think the US government cares an iota about school violence in Serbia while at the same time actively supporting drug/sex/organ trade by their terrorist allies in Serbia's breakaway Kosovo province, then you're a bit naive to say the least. This is a sensitive issue given the current state of affairs between Serbia and USA, and Ana and especially her manager would do best in giving this award an as low profile as possible...

Ana has all the reason to be proud of her work as a UNICEF ambassador as well as for the money she has donated against school violence. But the US government has absolutely nothing to do with her achievements and this award is just a cheap political stunt on their part, trying to take credit for something that has absolutely nothing to do with them...

Pasta-Na
Apr 20th, 2008, 02:01 AM
congratulations fist-pumping all the way :rocker2:

Slavko
Apr 20th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Well, you bought yourself a lifetime membership in order to post 15 messages (all that you have posted so far) on the issue of this basically worthless award, so it seems like this means something to you. Ana has gotten far better awards and nominations than this one, and this award in particular is one she shouldn't be proud of...

The US government is waging a diplomatic war against Serbia as we speak and if you think the US government cares an iota about school violence in Serbia while at the same time actively supporting drug/sex/organ trade by their terrorist allies in Serbia's breakaway Kosovo province, then you're a bit naive to say the least. This is a sensitive issue given the current state of affairs between Serbia and USA, and Ana and especially her manager would do best in giving this award an as low profile as possible...

Ana has all the reason to be proud of her work as a UNICEF ambassador as well as for the money she has donated against school violence. But the US government has absolutely nothing to do with her achievements and this award is just a cheap political stunt on their part, trying to take credit for something that has absolutely nothing to do with them...

Let me explain to you how change is done in North America, Europe and Australia by means of experimental laws. When the west wants change in something, one country usually takes the initiative and implements the change through law. The initiating country takes note, as does all its neighbours and similar democracies. If the new laws are beneficial and the desired results are acceptable then other countries use the success as an example as to why their country should implement the same laws. The use of government statistics is the initial driving force for acquiring such laws.

This is done with licensing of certain items or services; tax laws; financial coverage of certain medicine or procedures; automotive laws; immigration laws; school curriculum; etc.

With the above said and done, the U.S. federal government does not have to implement successful laws or programmes of, or in, Serbia when the individual states, counties and school boards can make their own decisions, laws and curriculum.

Ana Ivanovic earned this nomination, she should win this award!

homogenius
Apr 20th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Ana was nominated for her courage to stand up to violence in Serbia's schools. You believe me when I say students in Serbia have access to weapons from the 1990’s civil wars. This information was passed on to me from Serbia’s MUP, Serbia’s Ministry of Internal Affairs .

Ana not only achieved Nation wide media coverage but also international coverage. Ana put her money where her mouth is and donated her TSN Sportscentre commercial money to UNICEF in order to initiate the Schools Without Violence programme in Serbia. Within months she donated a further $60 000 to the Schools Without Violence programme from a December 7, 2007 charity event called NAJ (prefix for “best“). This week, prior to her nomination for 2008 Women of Courage Award, UNIFEC announced Ana Ivanovic’s initiative and funding for Schools Without Violence programme has expanded from the initial three schools to fifteen schools. That is fast for being an UNIFEC Ambassador for seven months while touring the world, competing in tennis and many other obligations.

Ana has plenty to be proud of for her age, gender and upbringing as a citizen of Serbia. Ana Ivanovic should win this award!

PR ?

USSR
Apr 20th, 2008, 04:38 AM
... The US government is waging a diplomatic war...

that's the point !!
also, there's a huge deal of hypocrisy behind the awards like this...

Nikkiri
Apr 20th, 2008, 07:36 AM
congratulations fist-pumping all the way :rocker2:

Congratulations dumb comment all the way :rocker2:

pov
Apr 21st, 2008, 02:07 PM
This is bizarre. Her website says that but I checked and the US State Department website has no mention of anything like that.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2008/mar/102066.htm

Secretary of State Confers the International Women of Courage Awards

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Under Secretary for Democracy and Global Affairs Paula Dobriansky today marked International Women’s Day 2008 by presenting the second annual International Women of Courage Award to eight women around the globe who have shown exceptional courage and leadership in advocating for women’s rights and advancement. This is the only Department of State award paying tribute to emerging women leaders worldwide and offering a unique opportunity for transformational diplomacy in the field of international women’s issues.

The honorees from Afghanistan, Fiji, Iraq, Kosovo, Pakistan, Palestinian Authority, Paraguay, and Somalia have transformed their societies and serve as an inspiration to the international community. They are among over 95 exceptional women of courage nominated by U.S. Embassies worldwide for their diverse contributions to freedom, justice, peace, and equality.

This year, the Department honored the following women of courage from six regions:

Suraya Pakzad (Afghanistan)

Suraya Pakzad founded “Voice of Women,” one of the few organizations dedicated to helping women in the western region of Afghanistan. The non-governmental organization operated under Taliban rule, and continues to provide shelter and counseling to women and girls who have escaped forced marriages.

Virisila Buadromo (Fiji)

Virisila Buadromo, Executive Director of the Fiji Women’s Rights Movement (FWRM), advocates for gender equality, legal and political reform, and democracy, despite challenges and threats from Fiji’s military coup-led government.

Dr. Eaman Al-Gobory (Iraq)

Dr. Eaman Al-Gobory searches hospitals, clinics and rehabilitation centers for sick and wounded children in need of specialized care that could only be received outside of the country and also works to build capacity to meet their needs in Iraq.

Valdete Idrizi (Kosovo)

Valdete Idrizi, an ethnic Albanian internally displaced person (IDP), crosses frequently into majority Serb areas in northern Kosovo to run women’s and youth projects aimed at reconciliation and peace-building among the various ethnic communities.

Nibal Thawabteh (Palestinian Authority)

Nibal Thawabteh was the first woman to be elected to the Beit Fajjar Village Council, a very conservative village near Bethlehem. She founded a monthly newspaper, Al Hal (“The Situation”) that covers controversial issues including honor killings, polygamy, and the plight of the poor. She also is a published author and is working on a novel dealing with previously unexplored issues concerning women in the Arab world.

Dr. Begum Jan (Pakistan)

Dr. Begum Jan, Chairperson of the Tribal Women Welfare Association (TWWA), works to empower the voice and role of women in traditional communities of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) in northwest Pakistan.

Cynthia Bendlin (Paraguay)

Cynthia Bendlin has exhibited outstanding courage and leadership in combating the trafficking of women in the Tri-Border area of Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay. Ms. Bendlin continues her efforts despite forced relocation and repeated death threats by criminal mafia who control the human trafficking trade.

Farhiyo Farah Ibrahim (Somalia)

Farhiyo Farah Ibrahim, a young Somali woman living in the Dadaab refugee camp in Kenya, has worked tirelessly on behalf of women, girls, and refugees and campaigned tirelessly against practices like female genital mutilation (FGM) and violence against women.

2008/166

Released on March 10, 2008

Cp6uja
Apr 21st, 2008, 03:02 PM
This is bizarre. Her website says that but I checked and the US State Department website has no mention of anything like that.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2008/mar/102066.htm
Released on March 10, 2008You obviously checked old news.

At america.gov (http://democracy.america.gov/democracy/rights/promotingrights.html) you will see Ana and some woman from Finland which is also not at old list of nominates.

Epigone
Apr 21st, 2008, 03:32 PM
Women of Courage

They endure intimidation, bodily injury and the possibility of death, but these determined women work unflaggingly to protect the ideals of individual dignity, liberty and equality. To recognize these brave women, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice inaugurated in 2007 the “International Women of Courage Award.” Here are some of their stories.Ana Ivanovic

Beautiful and talented, tennis sensation Anna Ivanovic strives to improve the lot of children in Serbia. Using her own money, she helps fund programs that aid schools in teaching children the importance of tolerance.How has Ana endured "intimidation, bodily injury and the possibility of death"?

She should be congratulated for her great work, but the cynic in me thinks that this is simply politics at work :o

They also misspelled her name :rolleyes:

MAXMAGNUS
Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
Its not an honor for a Serb.Its an insult.
The same State Depatrment bombed Yugoslavia 1999. and Ana was in Belgrade during that time,remember?
Because of that, these days its very hard to find news about S.D.nominations in Serbian media.
Its very clear,its a political award.
Just look at the list of countries of nominees:
Iraq,Afganistan,Serbian province Kosovo,Somalia,Pakistan,Palestina..
In all those areas United states had military involvment.
And as always,they do the same dirty job-first they bomb the countrie,often by using depleted uranium,kill people and destroy their homes and after that they are giving awards to men and women who are helping their wounded,sick and homless countrymen.Its filthiest hypocrisy,nothing else.
On the other hand,its easy to understand why Ana had to accept nomination,to be polite and to said its an honor for her,because she has experienced management team behind her who knows very vell the rules of international public relations.
But having in mind how sensitive this thing is,I hope they will handle it very carefully.

Ana is one of the purest persons in Serbia and in the world.
The last thing she needs is to get dirty with such shameful award.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ZeroSOFInfinity
Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Since when this topic celebrating Ana's nomination turns into a political debate? :tape:

By the way.... GO ANA! :yeah:

mapaliey
Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:12 PM

ana never win grand slam...that's the fact....and never ever...jinx.....:)

SOA_MC
Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:14 PM
Its not an honor for a Serb.Its an insult.
The same State Depatrment bombed Yugoslavia 1999. and Ana was in Belgrade during that time,remember?
Because of that, these days its very hard to find news about S.D.nominations in Serbian media.
Its very clear,its a political award.
Just look at the list of countries of nominees:
Iraq,Afganistan,Serbian province Kosovo,Somalia,Pakistan,Palestina..
In all those areas United states had military involvment.
And as always,they do the same dirty job-first they bomb the countrie,often by using depleted uranium,kill people and destroy their homes and after that they are giving awards to men and women who are helping their wounded,sick and homless countrymen.Its filthiest hypocrisy,nothing else.
On the other hand,its easy to understand why Ana had to accept nomination,to be polite and to said its an honor for her,because she has experienced management team behind her who knows very vell the rules of international public relations.
But having in mind how sensitive this thing is,I hope they will handle it very carefully.

Ana is one of the purest persons in Serbia and in the world.
The last thing she needs is to get dirty with such shameful award.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Give it a rest Please:o

mapaliey
Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:14 PM
How has Ana endured "intimidation, bodily injury and the possibility of death"?

She should be congratulated for her great work, but the cynic in me thinks that this is simply politics at work :o

They also misspelled her name :rolleyes:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
ana ivanosick ;)

Nikkiri
Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
ana never win grand slam...that's the fact....and never ever...jinx.....:)

Lol, how old are you 12? :o

Oh dear just looked at your profile :tape:

cocco80
Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
mapaliey has shown his ugly face in here..
it's time to close this thread.

MAXMAGNUS
Apr 24th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Because A.C.A.B.

Except Serpico.

Optima
Apr 24th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I find it a bit ridiculous she was nominated. It's admirable she does all of these things, but there are so many more women out there who have more courage and face all kinds of hardship ten times worse than what Ana has seen/done. Look in your own backyard people, or even across the street.

tennisbear7
Apr 24th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I find it a bit ridiculous she was nominated. It's admirable she does all of these things, but there are so many more women out there who have more courage and face all kinds of hardship ten times worse than what Ana has seen/done. Look in your own backyard people, or even across the street.

I don't know about you, but I would find living in a city being completely obliterated by NATO forces pretty horrendous.