PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova's year OR Serena Williams' year

Mashafaaaaan
Apr 19th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Which one will win more titles this year?

This year belong to them, it's obvious, even on clay court, they won, the season will be AWESOME. Justine Henin can already cry:lol::lol::lol:

austennis
Apr 19th, 2008, 10:50 AM
So far i give the edge to Maria - AO, Doha and Amelia Island and SF in Indian Wells beats Bangalore, Miami and a QF at the AO - however if Serena wins here things will get closer... but until Serena wins a GS its marias year

SharapovaFan16
Apr 19th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Yea when Serena wins a GS come talk to me. And trust me this post isn't taking anything away from Serena because she is more than capable.

s_j
Apr 19th, 2008, 10:56 AM
It's Maria's year at this stage by a mile. I know Serena beat her fair and square yesterday but Maria won the grand slam that has taken place, not Serena. I expect Serena to win Charleston now and that gives both girls 3 titles each. Then it will be interesting to see who does better on red clay. Both are playing Berlin and I'm not too sure about Rome. I also think the one who does better at RG will ultimately be the one having the best year. Maria will be seeded #2 and I predict Serena about #5.

Destiny
Apr 19th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Maria so far as Serena hasn't won a grand slam.
But watch out things can easily change :)

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Maria - GS means so much more than Miami

DragonFlame
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Wow, so you're writing justine already off before she has played a claytournament?:tape: We'll see how things turn out.;)

ilovethewilliams
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:19 PM
sharapova was pure luck at the Aus Open.. Doha and AI she beat no one. If Serena is healthy I expect her to take Wimbledon and the US Open. For as the FO .. It's still up for grabs but I know for a fact sharapova will not win the FO unless 49 players in the top 50 withdrew or lost b4 meeting up with her.

Marco Fernandes
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:26 PM
sharapova was pure luck at the Aus Open.. Doha and AI she beat no one. If Serena is healthy I expect her to take Wimbledon and the US Open. For as the FO .. It's still up for grabs but I know for a fact sharapova will not win the FO unless 49 players in the top 50 withdrew or lost b4 meeting up with her.

Some people should really shut up before talking crap... Your nick name says everything :rolleyes: ...

Everybody saw that Maria wasn't lucky at the AO ... She defeated Davenport, Henin, Jankovic Ivanovic... 3 of the 4 best players in that moment... But obviously you're one those guys who only give credit to their favorite players

Boring... :help:

goldenlox
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Maria has had the best 2008 by far.
There's no discussion to it.
Serena has won one major in over 3 years, and that's the one Justine skipped because of her divorce.

Maria and Justine have won 3 of the last 4 majors, 4 of the last 6, 5 of the last 8.

It's Maria and Justine's tour until someone else wins a major.

Mina Vagante
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Seeing as Maria has won a grand slam, her year as been better so far. However it'll be interesting as the year develops. Maybe these two can start a real good rivalry :D

Dodoboy.
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Wow, so you're writing justine already off before she has played a claytournament?:tape: We'll see how things turn out.;)

I agree, this is the worst time of the year to write Justine off, so yeah i don't think Maria and Serena have it just yet.

goldenlox
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Not only has Maria had much the best year, If Lena wins this, she's having the 2nd best year.
She won Dubai, with Justine, Sveta, Ana, and JJ in the draw.
She retired in Miami with a back injury and if she wins this, it's 13 of 14 wins with a retirement as the only loss, with all the top 10 in Dubai &/or Charleston.

Geisha
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I agree that this has been Maria's year thus far, but it isn't as one-sided as people think. She has the Australian Open, which is obviously better than Miami, but two of her titles were won without even beating a top ten player. If Serena wins Charleston, she'll have defeated at least one top ten player in each tournament.

Dodoboy.
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:18 PM
She has met a former GS/#1 champion in every tournament she has won.

She has beat most top 5 this year.

Only the SLAM sets them apart.

Topspin2
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Sharapovas of course :p

Tennisstar86
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:25 PM
too early... last year at this time the year also belonged to them...

KBdoubleu
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Did everyone in this thread not read the first post? Its not about whos year would you rather have thus far, its a thread about who do you tihnk will win more titles.

Slutiana
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Do it at the end of the year. Wouldn't it be interesting if Venus, Justine and Serena won the remaining 3 slams in that order?

Mashafaaaaan
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:30 PM
too early... last year at this time the year also belonged to them...

NOpe, Maria was crushed in final of AOpen last year, now she won, its totally different:lick:

Cp6uja
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Not only has Maria had much the best year, If Lena wins this, she's having the 2nd best year.
She won Dubai, with Justine, Sveta, Ana, and JJ in the draw.
She retired in Miami with a back injury and if she wins this, it's 13 of 14 wins with a retirement as the only loss, with all the top 10 in Dubai &/or Charleston.Before Miami she won Dubai and after Miami she reach atleast SF here in Charlston. In Miami she retire after 6-1 3-1 against player which beat her 6-1 6-2 in last two matches... so its obviously that she retire b/c want prevent 3rd same 6-1 6-2 lose in the row against Jankovic, not because back injury (where is that injury in Dubai or Charleston)?

So research litle better 2008 results and you will see who have 2nd best results this season right behind #1 Maria and ahead #3 Serena. It's not that hard... she played in final of only 2008 slam and won one of three (AO, IW, Miami) 2008 two-weekers.

kwilliams
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Maria has had the best 2008 by far.
There's no discussion to it.
Serena has won one major in over 3 years, and that's the one Justine skipped because of her divorce.

Maria and Justine have won 3 of the last 4 majors, 4 of the last 6, 5 of the last 8.

It's Maria and Justine's tour until someone else wins a major.

Serena beat JH in Miami and given how she thrashed Sharapova in that final I don't think anyone could have beat her that day.

As for whose year it is I think it's Sharapova's so far. She was obviously very impressive at the AO, especially in her last three matches BUT though she did well to win Doha and AI and put in some gutsy performances she didn't really have to play the top players.

Serena started the year off quite slow (though not bad). I think she is catching up now and by the end of the clay season I think they might be even but that is based on both accomplishments AND form. Serena's form is more convincing than Sharapova's at the moment despite the fact that Sharapova has accomplished more this year.

So Sharapova leads at the moment but I think Serena is the player to beat at the moment. Sharapova only has only had one top 10 win (Hantuchova) since the AO but has now had two losses to top 10 players (Kuznetsova and Serena). She has had two top 20 wins since AO. She has been playing quite low ranked players since Melbourne so it's hard to judge if her form is as impressive as it was then I think the loss to Kuznetsova on the hardcourts of IW calls it into question just a little because in Australia Sharapova didn't drop a set and won 3 bagel sets.

goldenlox
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:49 PM
So research litle better 2008 results and you will see who have 2nd best results this season right behind #1 Maria and ahead #3 Serena. It's not that hard... she played in final of only 2008 slam and won one of three (AO, IW, Miami) 2008 two-weekers.I'm guessing it's.. let me think for a while..
who's #2 in 2008.. :p

Expat
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:53 PM
maria has the slam EOS
btw isnt it too soon in the season to ask this to rule out justine,venus,ana,jelena etc

sammy01
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM
well its obviously chakvetadzes year so far, paris title wooooooooooooo lol,
seriously maria is edging it but to me serenas season didn't start untill bangalore, she seems hungry to win since then it seem to kick start something in her. i wouldn't rule out serena only losing say 3 matches for the rest of the year and picking up 2 of the 3 slams left.
as for maria shes trying on the clay but i dont see it happening, nor at wimbledon, but i can see her dominating the summer hardcourt swing.
so its up in the air with maria the edge with the oz open.

darrinbaker00
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:11 PM
It's been Maria's year so far, and there are 880,483 reasons why:
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/rankings/prizemoney/

That's what they're REALLY playing for, ladies and gentlemen.

trufanjay
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I think Maria may win a few more titles because she will play more, but I think Serena will win the gold medal and then maybe a grand slam. With that being said, I believe Serena will have the most success this year. So Maria will win more, Serena will win bigger.

The Daviator
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Until RG, it's Maria's year.