PDA

View Full Version : For those saying JJ is having a difficult year!!

frenchie
Apr 19th, 2008, 10:03 AM
She's now 2nd in the Race to the YEC

She reached at least the QF at all her tournaments

She reached the semis of the AO and the final of Miami (the 2 biggest tournaments so far)

She has more points than last year at the same time

You get it:o
and she played "only" 8 events

austennis
Apr 19th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Well Done Jelena... a goood year so far. hope u can win again in Berlin..and do well at RG

tennnisfannn
Apr 19th, 2008, 10:09 AM
She is beginning to rmind me of Capriati, forever in the semis and finals but rarely the win. Her amazing run last year should have garnered six or more titles, unfortunatley Justine had this annoying habit of beating everyone.:devil:

Kampi
Apr 19th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Thank you Frenchie:wavey::D

I appreciate this.;) We must look forward and stay postive and so should Jelena. Go on with the hard work and try everything to become better. Losing is a vital part of every sport and it can makes you stronger. Even when the moment is so bitter, there is absolutely no need to move to "agony city". She is having a very good season so far and we should keep this in mind.

GO JJ:bounce:

toxina90
Apr 19th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Yeah thats good, but she still hasn't won anything this year, whereas last year she was on the verge of her 2nd title of the year.

I starting to worry alot for her, if she doesn't defend Rome, I think she will be like Svetlana, good results, but no titles.

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 19th, 2008, 10:58 AM
In her entire career JJ has won 2 titles at Tier II and above events -- at Charleston where she didn't face a single top-tenner and Rome where she defeated mental midget Kuznetsova in the final.
Going deep into the draws but rarely winning the titles is common for Jankovic.

Chunchun
Apr 19th, 2008, 11:03 AM
In her entire career JJ has won 2 titles at Tier II and above events -- at Charleston where she didn't face a single top-tenner and Rome where she defeated mental midget Kuznetsova in the final.
Going deep into the draws but rarely winning the titles is common for Jankovic.

I know this was Tier-Mickey Mouse-III but beating Maria on grass is still :eek: :eek: :yeah:

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 19th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I know this was Tier-Mickey Mouse-III but beating Maria on grass is still :eek: :eek: :yeah:

Jamea Jackson did the same the year before...

Matt01
Apr 19th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Jamea Jackson did the same the year before...

So obviously it must be easy :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just Do It
Apr 19th, 2008, 11:34 AM
AnnaK 4ever obviously forgot who Jelena def. this year @ AO ? ;)

Yes, Jelena has a great year so far, this loss indeed surprised me.

OZTENNIS
Apr 19th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Jankovic plays a far too timid and defensive game. Her serve is weak, she is often ''injured'' or sick and she cannot possibly solely rely on her movement and retrieiving skills to beat the top girls. She no longer has that element of surprise in her game, and as a result, her down the line backhand is less effective. She needs to learn how to take control of the point, and come in and finish points off at the net. Otherwise, her ranking will start to decline

And this is coming from a fan

Adal
Apr 19th, 2008, 11:46 AM
She has been getting those results for a long time now. Reaching SF/QT of GS, beating WS a few times..
I don't see how this year is better/worse.

Uranium
Apr 19th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Well Done Jelena... a goood year so far. hope u can win again in Berlin..and do well at RG

she won Rome last year

Renalicious
Apr 19th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I agree. She's doing great.

schorsch
Apr 19th, 2008, 11:57 AM
She's doing well, but I think for her... It seems like she wants to win something so badly that it gets counterproductive. She really wants a title. Really wants that feeling again. But well. I hope she'll get one soon.

jfaithfully
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Well yes she is have a difficult year because she has won 2 tournements lost 6-0 to Sharapova at Aus Open lost to Schiavone in Dubai lost to Willaims to love in Miami.

дalex
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Well yes she is have a difficult year because she has won 2 tournements lost 6-0 to Sharapova at Aus Open lost to Schiavone in Dubai lost to Willaims to love in Miami.

That's Justine, JJ is having a great season so far - she just needs a title under her belt and everything will be perfect!

Just Do It
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:08 PM

ermmm No ?

That's Justine, JJ is having a great season so far - she just needs a title under her belt and everything will be perfect!

:haha:

Il Primo!
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Who said this BS? Jelena is having a great year so far. I still expect her to lift the trophee in Paris.

jfaithfully
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:19 PM
ermmm No ?

So then show where you think she is doing so well this year, at least make an attempt to refute my claim.

And that is not Justine or you really don't know her game very well, even i can safely say Justine is a much better player than this years show, yet i'm not mad about her game or her.
I am sure she will pick it up as the year goes on but as for now POOR START the RESULTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES

дalex
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:26 PM
So then show where you think she is doing so well this year, at least make an attempt to refute my claim.

And that is not Justine or you really don't know her game very well, even i can safely say Justine is a much better player than this years show, yet i'm not mad about her game or her.
I am sure she will pick it up as the year goes on but as for now POOR START the RESULTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES

:lol: I'm not sure we're on the same page here. This is a thread about Jelena Jankovic (JJ) who didn't win any titles this year, didn't lose 6-0 to Maria, didn't lose to Schiavone and didn't lose 6-0 to Serena. Those are all Justine's losses but we're not talking about her here anyway....

RenaSlam.
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:33 PM
She also has won a big fat ZERO titles this year.

jfaithfully
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:36 PM
^^ thank u for letting me know

Well then i would say that she is not firing yet but had gotten deep in tournements so far but is that enough there comes a point were your either going to better or stay the same, and JJ doesn't seem to ahve what it takes to be much better than she already is. She has only 1 tier one title ROME finalist in 9 events not such great stats it needs to be asked why can't she push and get the extra bit to win more titles.

дalex
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:42 PM
She also has won a big fat ZERO titles this year.

Good that you know how to count! :hug:

terjw
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I think we need to keep things in perspective. It doesn't seem to be so great from my point of view mainly because she hasn't won a title yet and a couple of times when the draws opened up for her - she hasn't been able to capitalise on it. It seems to me like she was a bit better at this stage last year. She certainly had a very difficult start to the year to overcome with the lack of practice before the season started because of her surgery and then the injuries (although she still made it to the AO SF).

Having said that - there's no need to go the other extreme and say she's lost it and plummetting downhill as seen by her consistent results. She's gone down in the rankings to #5 and there's only Serena at the moment below her who's playing better. So perhaps she's playing like a #6 player in the world right now - and that's been without a coach. So she can certainly improve with a coach. There were also signs at Miami and IW where she made SF and F that she's playing better.

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:17 PM
AnnaK 4ever obviously forgot who Jelena def. this year @ AO ? ;)

Did she win the title in the end? ;)
Exactly what I'm talking about.

kwilliams
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Maybe people think she's having a tough year because this time last year she had won Auckland (IV) and was on her way to the Charleston (I) title. She has been doing very well this year but for some people it is all about the win and she hasn't won a tournament YET. Also last year she was continuing her breakthrough, improving all the time but this year though she is probably still improving a little she is not doing so as fast so maybe it just SEEMS like a less impressive few months compared to last year.

She has a good chance of winning a title on clay and if that happens I'm sure it will reinforce what she has done this year.

Dave.
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:46 PM
She's having a much better year than I expected. I thought she would be too tired from 2007 to do anything this year but she is not declining at all. She has had some great results this year and has been extremely consistent, which is a key to keeping a high ranking. The fact that Jelena has been going deep into these draws over and over again is great. If some people can only look at no. of titles as a measuring stick for the year, then they are not looking deep enough. I'd rather Jelena's year to Chakvetadze, Dementieva, or even Henin or Ivanovic's year. Just because they have won titles does not mean their year has been better. Only looking at titles is the most basic way of looking at it.

InsideOut.
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I think we need to keep things in perspective. It doesn't seem to be so great from my point of view mainly because she hasn't won a title yet and a couple of times when the draws opened up for her - she hasn't been able to capitalise on it. It seems to me like she was a bit better at this stage last year. She certainly had a very difficult start to the year to overcome with the lack of practice before the season started because of her surgery and then the injuries (although she still made it to the AO SF).

Having said that - there's no need to go the other extreme and say she's lost it and plummetting downhill as seen by her consistent results. She's gone down in the rankings to #5 and there's only Serena at the moment below her who's playing better. So perhaps she's playing like a #6 player in the world right now - and that's been without a coach. So she can certainly improve with a coach. There were also signs at Miami and IW where she made SF and F that she's playing better.

No, she's definitely at least #5. Justine is playing waaaaaaaaayyy below JJ's level.

terjw
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:33 PM
No, she's definitely at least #5. Justine is playing waaaaaaaaayyy below JJ's level.

Well I wouldn't argue with that - especially being a JJ fan. Actually I so so wish she could play Justine right now and see what would happen and if she could finally get that win against her.