PDA

View Full Version : Who is Smarter on the Court? (a) Hingis or (b) Santoro?

Golovinjured.
Apr 19th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Who is the smarter of Martina Hingis and Fabrice Santoro and why?

I would say Hingis.

VOTE IN POLL :devil:

Golovinjured.
Apr 19th, 2008, 07:16 AM
No cocaine jokes either please. :lol:

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 19th, 2008, 10:32 AM
No disrespect to Hingis intended but Fabrice of course. :worship:

Harvs
Apr 19th, 2008, 10:39 AM
hingis... this is proved by how well shes done.

santoro is a smart player... but most of his hype is around his unorthodox shots and spins, not so much how he thinks...

Natalicious
Apr 19th, 2008, 10:40 AM
santoro :worship:

justine schnyder
Apr 19th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Santoro

Uranium
Apr 19th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Santoro, and his amazing gets and fun rallies

kolan
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:22 PM
got to be santoro

PLP
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:25 PM
How many GS's has Santoro won, and how long has he been #1? ummm...

Hingis obviously. I like Fabrice, but if he was that smart, he would have figured out ways to have a better career, Just sayin...

SOA_MC
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Why don't people give any credit to Lleyton Hewitt on court intelligence he had to go up against players bigger and stronger than him his whole career he's won 2 slams and got to #1. People always talk about Santoro as the intelligent player and not Hewitt:shrug:

Mattographer
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:41 PM
How many GS's has Santoro won, and how long has he been #1? ummm...

Hingis obviously. I like Fabrice, but if he was that smart, he would have figured out ways to have a better career, Just sayin...
This doesn't prove anything. Santoro would still beat Hingis of '97, anyway. He's THE true genius.

Ryan
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Hingis, Santoro is amazing to watch but he hasn't won anything really, whereas Hingis' "court smarts" that Steffica Greles calls a myth won her 5 slams.

Ryan
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:43 PM
This doesn't prove anything. Santoro would still beat Hingis of '97, anyway. He's THE true genius.

Because he's a man and she's a woman, idiot.

Mattographer
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Because he's a man and she's a woman, idiot.
Women have no brain and men do have brain especially in 1997 :lol:

Ryan
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Women have no brain and men do have brain especially in 1997 :lol:

The fact that you seem to think Hingis' best tennis was played in 1997 proves you know nothing about her career. Her best results - obviously, best tennis - nope.

PLP
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:02 PM

It doesn't?
If he was soooooooo intelligent I think he would have a better singles career, that's all. His w/l record is barely at 50%, and I don't know if he has even made it past quarterfinals in a slam.
I think he has enjoyed a nice career, but it hasn't exactly been stellar. He is great to watch, but he is he even the most intelligent male player? I don't think so. :shrug:

Not to mention that if Martina hadn't been one of the smartest players on court, in the entire history of the sport, I don't know if she would even have 1 title...how do you think she won over 80 titles, cuz it wasn't with forehand winners.

I think a better comparison would be with Patty...though I am never sure what Patty is going to show up. She can be intelligent or incredibly stupid on court, depending on the day.

Dave.
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I think it's obvious. Hingis spent so much time as no.1 and has dominated the game in singles and doubles. If Santoro was even half as smart as Hingis, he would have had a more successful career.

hingis44
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Hingis of course. She has been N 1 because she is the smarter tenniswomen. Bts i like also Santoro

Havok
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Santoro really isn't a genus on court. He just plays an insanely unorthodox style of tennis on the court that people automatically think that he's smart. He plays with chops, spins, and other fucked up shots just to fool around with his opponents.

Hingis is the true genius on the court. She reads plays 5 shots before they are played because she knows how point would go down and positions herself at the right places to take advantage of her opponents. THAT is smarts, not hitting weird ass shots ala Santoro.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Santoro. 20 years of tricks and annoying top players.
He's going out in style.

Dementieva_Dude
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Hingis

I love Santoro, and I respect his game, but using weird shots and spins does not make you "smart" on the court. Has he used some court smarts to win some matches - yes. Has he done it to the same extent that Martina did -no.

Just my opinion :)

alfonsojose
Apr 19th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Santoro is compeletely overhyped. He trobles ATP ball bashers and impatient players. That's it. No results

alfonsojose
Apr 19th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Santoro really isn't a genus on court. He just plays an insanely unorthodox style of tennis on the court that people automatically think that he's smart. He plays with chops, spins, and other fucked up shots just to fool around with his opponents.

Hingis is the true genius on the court. She reads plays 5 shots before they are played because she knows how point would go down and positions herself at the right places to take advantage of her opponents. THAT is smarts, not hitting weird ass shots ala Santoro.
:worship:

moby
Apr 19th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Hingis is the true genius on the court. She reads plays 5 shots before they are played because she knows how point would go down and positions herself at the right places to take advantage of her opponents. THAT is smarts, not hitting weird ass shots ala Santoro.Exactly. The female counterpart to Santoro is probably Zvereva. Insane hands; can hit every shot in the book; incredible to watch; but the shotmaking is usually in service of itself rather than some larger purpose. Monica and Serena have, I must say, much more limited repetoires, but they are both far smarter players on the court than Fabrice.

Anyone who picks Fabrice in this poll doesn't know much tennis at all.

alfonsojose
Apr 19th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Exactly. The female counterpart to Santoro is probably Zvereva. Insane hands; can hit every shot in the book; incredible to watch; but the shotmaking is usually in service of itself rather than some larger purpose. Monica and Serena have, I must say, much more limited repetoires, but they are both far smarter players on the court than Fabrice.

Anyone who picks Fabrice in this poll doesn't know much tennis at all.

:D tricky shots doesn't imply smartness

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 19th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Hingis

I love Santoro, and I respect his game, but using weird shots and spins does not make you "smart" on the court. Has he used some court smarts to win some matches - yes. Has he done it to the same extent that Martina did -no.

Just my opinion :)

I have to concede these are two very good posts and I can't really disagree with them. I did vote for Santoro, being my favourite men's player I could hardly do otherwise but I do think the points Naldo and Dementieva Dude make are very valid.

Santoro is actually one of the smarter players on the ATP tour tactically but his genius comes from his unorthodox and unique racquet skills, his ability to create spins like no other player, not from any tactical brilliance. Hingis on the other hand, game was very much based on her tactical skills and it is that quality which gained her all the success she did.

Now is if the question was who has the most amazing racquet skills then Fabrice would take on all comers. :devil:

Max565
Apr 19th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I really like Santoro's kooky game and unorthodox shots... but like many other posters have said, I don't think it originates from tactical brilliance or anything.

Hingis is very subtle on court and maybe sometimes people don't appreciate it but she's a genius. :o

P.S. - Hingis' best tennis came in 2000 and early 2001, imo.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Apr 19th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Santoro is the biggest clown ever on the atp

Dodoboy.
Apr 19th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Naldo :worship:

Hingis has to be recognised as the smarter.

sammy01
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:06 PM
its hingis for me. i love santoro (way more than hingis) but santoro is more unorthadox rather than clever. i love watching santoro play for the fact that hes different, he is clever but not on a hingis scale. though they both hit some amazing shots that the likes or maria, serena, nadal, nole ect couldn't even dream of.

hingisGOAT
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I thought Hingis' best tennis came in 1997 for sure.... she was just so aggressive, serving and volleying, so confident.

hingisGOAT
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Then 1999, 2000, 1998, 2001, 2006. 2007 and 2002 I try to forget about