PDA

View Full Version : Serena & Masha- Post Match Player Interviews (excerpts)

Sir Stefwhit
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Maria Sharapova Interview:

Q: Maria, just the match overall and then that third set in particular.
Maria: Well, I thought the first two sets were pretty good quality of tennis. Youknow, there were a few key points in the match which I think could have obviously made the score line a little bit different and a couple in the beginning, in the middle of the first set where I had more chances to make it a couple of breaks, didn't take those and obviously the chance in the end of the first set. When you don't take your chances-- that's what I was talking about the yesterday, when you don't take your chance against a player like her, you know, it's very difficult to keep that intensity up for three sets. And in the third set, I just, you know, I gave it all I had in the first two sets and in the third I think I ran a little bit short.

Q:You were talking about taking chances, and yesterday you predicted it would be a match with a lot of big shot making. Would you have preferred to take any more chances or big shots, or do you think maybe you took too many or are you pretty satisfied with the strategy today?
Maria: Look, if a few points went my way, like I said, the score line could have been different and we wouldn't be talking about taking those chances because I would have taken them, but obviously you can't turn back time, and you know, I can only take the positives out of this match. I think going into this match, considering the success she's had on clay court, she's obviously the favorite today, and you know what, if I did take that set point or if I did take a couple of those important points and I would have won the second, the match would have been over in two. Instead I lost in three sets, so you know, that's the way it goes. That's the beauty of tennis.

Q: Serena said that your playing great tennis on clay. Can you at least leave here knowing that your game's improving on clay?
Maria: Absolutely. I've been saying it for a while now. I think with every year I'm improving. One reason is because I'm physically stronger with every passing year. My body is adjusting to the clay faster. I'm moving on clay a lot better than I used to, and that all takes time. It's not just-- I'm not saying I'm perfect at it. There's still a lot of room for improvement and maybe that's not going to happen this year, but hopefully the work that you put in throughout the year, not just on clay courts, the experience as well will help you for future years. And at the end of the day, I mean when you win or lose a match, you want to take the learning experience from it, and I think from today's match I will only take the positives.

Q: How are you going to celebrate it (birthday)?
Maria: I'm going to be with my friends and my parents tomorrow.

Q: In the 3rd set when she went on that run and started screaming and cheering and getting emotional, how tough was that for you? Is it possible to kind of come back when she really had the emotions going?
Maria: No, because i have my emotions going as well. Yeah, we're both pretty expressive on the court. I think that's what makes it so entertaining is we never let down. We keep fight and we keep trying, and I mean that's why our matches are so entertaining. But no, I just try to take care of my side of the net and not worry about what's going on across the net or around me and so fourth.

Excerpts from Serena's interview:

Q: What was it that didn't start you off right emotionally, in the first two sets?
Serena: I should have ate some hot tamales to get my feet moving, anything, but definitely in the third set I just became more focused and I just knew what I wanted to do, not just here, but mostly what I want to do in the Grand Slams.

Q: Do you know that you're sending her home for her 21st birthday?
Serena: Is today her birthday?
--Tomorrow is--
Serena: Well good for her. I mean that's awesome, now she gets to go have her 21st birthday and she doesn't have to play a tennis match in the hot sun.

Parts of Alize Cornet's Interview:

Q: What do you think about playing Serena?
Alize Cornet: I just thing about tomorrow, about Serena and it's so exciting for me. No. I've never played her before, but I saw her match, before my match, against Sharapova, and the hit so very hard. And I said, "Oh, my God, if I win, if I play Serena tomorrow, I hope not to look ridiculous," you know. But I think I will take my chance and I will try my best. So it's big chance on this clay, it's like a dream for me, so I will only take pleasure from the match. That's the most important.

Q: What do you do against all of Serena's power?
Alize Cornet: I thin I will do like I usually, you know. I will use my topspin forehand. I will run everywhere I can, and I just will do my very best and fight for every point. I think that's the key tomorrow.

Q: Is clay your best surface and does your success here give you confidence going into the French?
Alize Cornet: Yeah, for sure. - last week I was in semi in Amelia Island, this week in semi of this big tournament, so I think I can do something very good in Roland Garros, and it depends on the draw, but you know, with this match, I think I will be a seed, so that's great news for me! I'm not sure actually, but we will see in Roland Garros.

Q: Do you think you can beat Serena?
Alize Cornet: Oh, if I don't think that, I don't have to enter the court and fight. Yeah, a little part of me says that I can win, but you know, the most important thing is the pleasure. And I thin she will be nervous, too, because she doesn't want to lose against a young (player) like me, so we'll see.

Q: How do you beat her?
Alize Cornet: Like I said before, just fight and just run be aggressive, because if I let her play, I'm dead because she hits the ball so hard and I have to make pressure on her.

No Name Face
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:49 AM
i love serena. she manages to be bitchy but not bitchy at the very same time. :lol:

Tennisstar86
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:50 AM
"Serena: Well good for her. I mean that's awesome, now she gets to go have her 21st birthday and she doesn't have to play a tennis match in the hot sun."

:haha: Oh Serena......

whyme225
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Transcript from the second on-court exchange between Michael Joyce and Masha:

Michael: Your whole attitude changed.

Masha: Well, because at 40-Love I couldn't put a serve in.

Michael: So you're going to let it bother you for two games? Listen, I'm just telling you one thing, you've got to take care of your side of the court, that's it. You do your stuff and hang tough. You stay mentally tough, you never let anything bother you, you never get frustrated, and that's it. And you keep going up to you serve like you did this last game. She's going to hit great returns, big deal, let her hit it. Don't worry, you're going to hit great returns too. Ok?

Masha: OK

Michael: You just be tough and that's it and you got to believe you're going to beat this b-uhh girl. OK?

Mahsa: (laughter)

Michael: (laughter) I almost slipped up there, huh?

Masha: (laughter)

The Daviator
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Serena :sobbing: :haha:

austennis
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:53 AM
lol love serenas attitude and kind of agree.. glad she gets to go home but must feel dodgy

V-MAC
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:54 AM
haha got to love the bitchiness.....sharpen those claws ladies :devil:

Hantuchov
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:02 AM
LMAO Rena !!! :rolls:

mankind
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Michael Joyce is just a lil bitch.

Sir Stefwhit
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I updated the thread and added parts of Alize Cornet's interview as well.

jujufreak
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:26 AM
would be nice to see a witty Serena post-match interview after a loss...

Slutati
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Alize:awww:

Tennisstar86
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:27 AM
wow good win from cornet if she watched serena play and was thinking "hope she doesnt make me look ridiculous" And she still pulled through. Good for her.

Tennisstar86
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:28 AM

i thought she hit a lot of lucky shots was quite witty...

lol I mean what players give witty responses after loses?

mankind
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:35 AM
I hope the winner of the Williams-Cornet SF wins the event.

VeeJJ
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:49 AM
lol. thats funny!!

iPatty
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Serena's box was upset about something but I couldn't tell what it was. Isha kept showing text messages to Serena's hitting partner and then they would stare over at Yuri and Michael. Someone watching the telecast must have texted Isha and told her what Michael said. I knew I wasn't imagining something. :lol:

geoepee
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:54 AM
death! :D

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:58 AM
:unsure: I don't think Princess Ree's going to like this :scared:

zlove
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Maria Sharapova Interview:

--Tomorrow is--
Serena: Well good for her. I mean that's awesome, now she gets to go have her 21st birthday and she doesn't have to play a tennis match in the hot sun.

gotta admit that was kinda funny :p

OsloErik
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:21 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=O4wRo5F1fGo&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=k2Qea_uBBAU

Nothing new, although you expect coaches to be better than players. But I guess anything goes after "big white turkey" '97.

Alex72
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Great interviews from all and Cornet is such the charmer. Good luck Alize. :)

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:39 AM
lmao!! :haha: rena

homogenius
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:54 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=O4wRo5F1fGo&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=k2Qea_uBBAU

Nothing new, although you expect coaches to be better than players. But I guess anything goes after "big white turkey" '97.

True

qc_aneres
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:18 AM
but ithink they should keep their conversation private:o

spartanfan
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:19 AM
What was Serena suppose to say about her birthday? Oh, now I feel bad I beat her the day before her birthday? Hell naw! I'm sure to Serena that was the icing on her win today.

Black Mamba.
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Cold Bloodedddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ddddddddd

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Stamp Paid
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Serena is a mess LOL

qc_aneres
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:27 AM
go serena!

qc_aneres
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Serena is a mess LOL

o! u love Mariah and Maria!

homogenius
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Cornet has a great mind.Hope she can do something against Serena tomorrow.

homogenius
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:47 AM
--Tomorrow is--

:haha:

Spiritof42
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Q: What do you think about playing Serena?
Alize Cornet: I just thing about tomorrow, about Serena and it's so exciting for me. No. I've never played her before, but I saw her match, before my match, against Sharapova, and the hit so very hard. And I said, "Oh, my God, if I win, if I play Serena tomorrow, I hope not to look ridiculous," you know. But I think I will take my chance and I will try my best. So it's big chance on this clay, it's like a dream for me, so I will only take pleasure from the match. That's the most important.

:awww:

stevos
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:09 AM
All three gave great interviews, for very different reasons.
Maria said exactly what I wanted to hear. Building blocks, girl, building blocks!

Direwolf
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:09 AM
OMG

that was cute..!! lol at Serena!!!

doni1212
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Cold Bloodedddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ddddddddd

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

Serenidad.
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Monroe. :tape:

Poor Cornet.. watching Serena on TV you don't even get the full experience. Just wait until she gets mentally bullied on court in addition to the big hitting.

justine schnyder
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Alize :hearts: :hearts:

Serena :haha:

ElusiveChanteuse
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:44 AM
:rolls: :haha: @ the comments made by Serena on Maria's bday.:lol: :spit:

ElusiveChanteuse
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:45 AM
and Alize totally made herself in trouble for saying her tactic against Serena.:unsure:

bandabou
Apr 19th, 2008, 06:05 AM

Juju???

Costanza
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:05 AM
OK,this is real stuff!:tape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AbHORt-_N4

spiritedenergy
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Serena's box was upset about something but I couldn't tell what it was. Isha kept showing text messages to Serena's hitting partner and then they would stare over at Yuri and Michael. Someone watching the telecast must have texted Isha and told her what Michael said. I knew I wasn't imagining something. :lol:

oh oh... Maria vs a Williams sister next time is :timebomb::lol:

SharapovaFan16
Apr 19th, 2008, 10:33 AM
i thought she hit a lot of lucky shots was quite witty...

lol I mean what players give witty responses after loses?

Roddick is famous for it FYI! Win or lose he always gives the media a good show.

Destiny
Apr 19th, 2008, 10:43 AM
:haha:

Witty Ree

schorsch
Apr 19th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Masha's smile after Joyce fucked up is so funny and cute :haha:

Dodoboy.
Apr 19th, 2008, 11:55 AM
IPatty thanks for the info!

I totally think they found out if not after the match, during the match.

Isha should have sat on Michael :hearts:

All three interviews are good, i am very much looking forward to Serena's SF match should be very interesting. Alize :hug: Why tell us your tactics ? :banghead:

Serena is so thoughtful with her gifts :hug:

Mina Vagante
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Nice interviews :lol:

Vlover
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=Sir Stefwhit;12983628]
[B]Serena:[/B... now she gets to go have her 21st birthday and she doesn't have to play a tennis match in the hot sun.

:haha::haha: Priceless!!! I can't wait for their next meeting.

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:31 PM
IPatty thanks for the info!

I totally think they found out if not after the match, during the match.

Isha should have sat on Michael :hearts:

All three interviews are good, i am very much looking forward to Serena's SF match should be very interesting. Alize :hug: Why tell us your tactics ? :banghead:

Serena is so thoughtful with her gifts :hug:

and they say serena is a classless person...now who else would have done that for her :awww:

Sir Stefwhit
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Serena's full interview is posted in her player forum, that's just a small piece of it- I give my Serena fans all the good stuff first!

Mina Vagante
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Serena's full interview is posted in her player forum, that's just a small piece of it- I give my Serena fans all the good stuff first!

;):p