PDA

View Full Version : Mary Jo Fernandez, I have advice for you if you're reading WTAWorld today,

Pureracket
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:49 PM
:wavey:

.....when watching televised matches involving Roddick, James Blake, or Mardy Fish it's not hard to figure out who the American commentators are rooting for. Justin Gimelstob swoons over his compatriots, and nobody can tell me that Pat McEnroe hasn't had a near sexual relationship with Roddick. (Listen to how he goes on about "ARod" during the matches). Either way, the American men seem to have a fraternity of sorts.

That brings me to the point of this post where I give advice to you, Mary Jo. Maria Sharapova, Justine Henin, and Jelena Jankovic are wonderful players, and they deserve all the accolades they get. You, Mary Jo, are a professional, and you seem to believe in fairness when you are doing commentary, but let's take a look @ your current Fed Cup squad: Asha Rolle, Brengle, and Huber. Maria Sharapova, Justine Henin, and Jelena Jankovic are not qualified to play for you, Coach Fernandez, during Fed Cup.

Now, Mary Jo, I've listened to you call Serena matches between MS, JH, and JJ, and I must say, well.....I'm not absolutely sure "swooning" is exactly what you've done over Serena. Sure, you have no problem talking about Serena's aces and power, but rarely have I ever heard you give a compliment on her skill level or her ability to strategically work a point. Again, Mary Jo, these are compliments.

Now, Mary Jo, I'm not saying you need to compromise the integrity of your broadcasting by openly rooting for American players, but well....we see who's playing for the American Davis Cup team, and we see who's playing for the American Fed Cup team.

Mary Jo, maybe it's time for you to modify your idea of "fair broadcasting" in order that it is consistent with Pat McEnroe's.

....just sayin'......

Thanx4nothin
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:54 PM
omg :tape: That is one big ass to kiss though, she might not have the time to get round the hole thing. Sorry couldn't resist!

In The Zone
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Wrong.

Mary Jo is actually one of the more nicer commentators about Serena and Venus. Remember how she fought the men that Serena would beat Henin in the QF at RG and Wimbledon? and Mary Jo was picking Venus the entire time last year at Wimbledon.

Everyone is not a racist.

Tennisstar86
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:56 PM
:wavey:

.....when watching televised matches involving Roddick, James Blake, or Mardy Fish it's not hard to figure out who the American commentators are rooting for. Justin Gimelstob swoons over his compatriots, and nobody can tell me that Pat McEnroe hasn't had a near sexual relationship with Roddick. (Listen to how he goes on about "ARod" during the matches). Either way, the American men seem to have a fraternity of sorts.

That brings me to the point of this post where I give advice to you, Mary Jo. Maria Sharapova, Justine Henin, and Jelena Jankovic are wonderful players, and they deserve all the accolades they get. You, Mary Jo, are a professional, and you seem to believe in fairness when you are doing commentary, but let's take a look @ your current Fed Cup squad: Asha Rolle, Brengle, and Huber. Maria Sharapova, Justine Henin, and Jelena Jankovic are not qualified to play for you, Coach Fernandez, during Fed Cup.

Now, Mary Jo, I've listened to you call Serena matches between MS, JH, and JJ, and I must say, well.....I'm not absolutely sure "swooning" is exactly what you've done over Serena. Sure, you have no problem talking about Serena's aces and power, but rarely have I ever heard you give a compliment on her skill level or her ability to strategically work a point. Again, Mary Jo, these are compliments.

Now, Mary Jo, I'm not saying you need to compromise the integrity of your broadcasting by openly rooting for American players, but well....we see who's playing for the American Davis Cup team, and we see who's playing for the American Fed Cup team.

Mary Jo, maybe it's time for you to modify your idea of "fair broadcasting" in order that it is consistent with Pat McEnroe's.

....just sayin'......

You Need to pay attention more..... Mary Jo was almost peeing her pants at last years Austrailian Open over Serena.... she is not the commentator that needs to change her tune...

She is also the only one that picked Venus to Win wimbledon even before she beat Sharapova last year. AND shes always the one to bring the williams sisters into the equation... Maybe you my friend just need to sit down and not make stupid threads....

Pureracket
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Wrong.

Mary Jo is actually one of the more nicer commentators about Serena and Venus. Remember how she fought the men that Serena would beat Henin in the QF at RG and Wimbledon? and Mary Jo was picking Venus the entire time last year at Wimbledon.

Everyone is not a racist.Future posters of this thread.....we see who has mentioned race first in this thread. Nothing, NOTHING, NOTHING about race is mentioned in the opening thread.

Pureracket
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:00 PM
You Need to pay attention more..... Mary Jo was almost peeing her pants at last years Austrailian Open over Serena.... she is not the commentator that needs to change her tune...

She is also the only one that picked Venus to Win wimbledon even before she beat Sharapova last year. AND shes always the one to bring the williams sisters into the equation... Maybe you my friend just need to sit down and not make stupid threads....I didn't even look @ my watch. I didn't know the school kids were out. I guess the learning disabled are too.

Anyway, if you had the reading proficiency/comprehension skills of a toucan, you'd see that the operative word is "swooning." Keep up.

C'mon, you can do this.

In The Zone
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:01 PM

She is also the only one that picked Venus to Win wimbledon even before she beat Sharapova last year. AND shes always the one to bring the williams sisters into the equation... Maybe you my friend just need to sit down and not make stupid threads....

Yes, thank you. No reason to tarnish MJF's good name for no reason. Simply because the OP was bored.

Pureracket
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Yes, thank you. No reason to tarnish MJF's good name for no reason. Simply because the OP was bored.Your attack about race is evil and unsubstantiated. I'm not upset, though, it's your pollution.

Also, if anybody sees this as an attack on MJF, you obviously aren't a sports fan and can't tell what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the difference between MJF's commentary and Pat McEnroe's. The teams are there, and we know good and well it's a difference.

practiceboy
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Your post assumes:

-that Serena watches replays of her own matches and listens carefully to Mary Jo's commentary
-that Serena actually cares what Mary Jo says
-that Serena's thought process would be something like: "Oh, gosh, even though I'm busy, I should really fly to Moscow and play because Mary Jo really said a lot of nice things about me during my last match"

Also, like a few others have already mentioned, I think Mary Jo arguably already does pretty much "swoon" over Serena

Pureracket
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Yes, thank you. No reason to tarnish MJF's good name for no reason. Simply because the OP was bored.:haha: How is this tarnishing MJF's "good name?" OMG! Is she your friggin' minister or something...."tarnish her good name"....the fuck outta here, ITZ.

Pureracket
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Your post assumes:

-that Serena watches replays of her own matches and listens carefully to Mary Jo's commentary
-that Serena actually cares what Mary Jo says
-that Serena's thought process would be something like: "Oh, gosh, even though I'm busy, I should really fly to Moscow and play because Mary Jo really said a lot of nice things about me during my last match"

Also, like a few others have already mentioned, I think Mary Jo arguably already does pretty much "swoon" over SerenaThanks for the sensible post. I don't have to assume anything more than the knowledge that Serena knows the kind of responses she gets from commentators. She's human like anybody else. I don't think it would hurt to hear from a friend of hers, "That Mary Jo Fernandez could NOT stop talking about your backhand." I'm sure Andy hears it. I'm sure Blake does too.

Your last assumption is putting the commentary in a vacuum, and I have a feeling you know I'm talking about more than just that. The commentary would be combined with any other compliments she could do.

Again, it's working for Pat McEnroe.

In The Zone
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I didn't make an attack about race. But when you claim UNFOUNDED DISRESPECT and that no respect is granted for the Williams Sisters by an American commentator, it's pretty clear what you're trying to promote.

But Mary Jo, out of all the commentators, I would put at # 1 for how she shows respects to the Sisters.

In fact, this thread is SO stupid I can't believe I'm posting in it. Sorry, but not everyone can kiss their asses 100% of the time.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:11 PM
She's just as fair as Patrick MacEnroe if even more fair.

Patrick outright said with Pam Shriver that James Blake didn't have the toughness of a Serena, Venus, Federer, Nadal, to win these five setters at Wimbledon one year.

The dude played regardless of those comments and still continues to play.
The comment were true, the thing is you don't expect that from your David Cup coach.
I'm going to be possibly playing 5 setters and you don't think I'm tough enough?

He makes comments on his impatience, that he doesn't mix it up enough, that he gets down on himself so easily even when he's winning.

She's IMO the fairest of the commentators.
She corrected Cliff time and time again to the point of it being annoying.

Cliff: I can't remember when Serena has played like this.
Mary Jo: [Pretty sure she was rolling her eyes] Serena played like this at Miami against Justine.

BTW, Cliff here's something you should invest in. I
Instead of making people pay outrageous prices for lessons from you, how about you actually watch a little tennis when you're on your off days.
You might understand the difference between Slovenia and Slovakia among other things.
I only like him because he annoys the hell out of Patrick and Mary Carillo especially Mary Carillo.
That bitch needs to understand how annoying it is to hear her comment negatively against the Williams Sisters 24/7.

It's the best matchup in tennis commentary.

Cliff Drysdale, the South African queen who tries his best to be open-minded (and straight) with women's tennis but you can hear his bias (because he likes the mens).
Mary Carillo, the Queens dyke, who John MacEnroe dragged to winning a mixed doubles title who has no real experience in singles to commentate who insults women's tennis to be more like the boys.
Total Opposites do not attract sometimes. :haha:

Pureracket
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I didn't make an attack about race. But when you claim UNFOUNDED DISRESPECT and that no respect is granted for the Williams Sisters by an American commentator, it's pretty clear what you're trying to promote.Pulease.....you got called on your bullshit, idiot. Take that triflin' ass, whack shit to somebody who'll fall for it. You claimed something was racist when race has nothing to do with it. Hell, MJF is Hispanic. Anyway....I can't even believe I'm trying to explain myself to you in this situation. Other sensible posters do too. You're wired from that election shit over in non-tennis. Go kick rocks!

But Mary Jo, out of all the commentators, I would put at # 1 for how she shows respects to the Sisters.

In fact, this thread is SO stupid I can't believe I'm posting in it. Sorry, but not everyone can kiss their asses 100% of the time. If you just got out of elementary school for a second, you'd understand what I'm talking about. I NEVER said that MJF disrespects Serena, Venus, or LD. I NEVER said she didn't like them. My last complete sentence reads, "

That has nothing to do with "disrespecting the Sisters."

Where did you go to learn how to argue "invisible" points? You always do that.

IceHock
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:18 PM
there's nothing wrong with mary joe, just because someone doesn't praise ur fave doesn't mean they hate them. pat mcenroe roots for andy and yeah so what, he's sure doing alot these days.

In The Zone
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Pulease.....you got called on your bullshit, idiot. Take that triflin' ass, whack shit to somebody who'll fall for it. You claimed something was racist when race has nothing to do with it. Hell, MJF is Hispanic. Anyway....I can't even believe I'm trying to explain myself to you in this situation. Other sensible posters do too. You're wired from that election shit over in non-tennis. Go kick rocks!

If you just got out of elementary school for a second, you'd understand what I'm talking about. I NEVER said that MJF disrespects Serena, Venus, or LD. I NEVER said she didn't like them. My last complete sentence reads, "

That has nothing to do with "disrespecting the Sisters."

Where did you go to learn how to argue "invisible" points? You always do that.

Funny how not a single poster in this thread has yet to agree with you. And I'm the stupid one.

Sorry, but MJF is not going to kiss Serena and Venus' ass 100% of the time. She doesn't have lesbian dreams the way PMac has gay dreams about "AROD". Get over it. How stupid.

Pureracket
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:22 PM
there's nothing wrong with mary joe, just because someone doesn't praise ur fave doesn't mean they hate them. pat mcenroe roots for andy and yeah so what, he's sure doing alot these days.Again, you're personalizing this in a way that's not very mature. It has nothing to do with Serena being my fav or not. Andy's not necessarily my fav, but Pat does the right thing in the commentary booth when he calls one of Andy's matches, though.

:haha:

This is hilarious how you all are thinking this is some kind of anti-MJF thread. It isn't. :lol:

Tennisstar86
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:22 PM
:rolls: I didnt realize the bridge was released for the trolls so early in the day.....

Pureracket
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Funny how not a single poster in this thread has yet to agree with you. And I'm the stupid one. Yes, idiot, and no other poster in this thread argued that my post was racist either. Stop trying to deflect, and admit you were totally out of order by saying my intentions were racist. In this case, yes, you are the stupid one.

Sorry, but MJF is not going to kiss Serena and Venus' ass 100% of the time. She doesn't have lesbian dreams the way PMac has gay dreams about "AROD". Get over it. How stupid.Again, that's fine for MJF to have that attitude. That could mean she has a Fed Cup coaching career where Asha Rolle and Huber will play in the #1 spot on the Fed Cup team. I guess it was "stupid" for Pat to "kiss ass," but he's added to his tennis legacy in the process.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:25 PM
there's nothing wrong with mary joe, just because someone doesn't praise ur fave doesn't mean they hate them. pat mcenroe roots for andy and yeah so what, he's sure doing alot these days.

She can be annoying at times but for other players.

I remember the same time this year in 2005 when Sharapova was catching up to Lindsay but Lindsay was number one.
And Mary Jo was on Maria Sharapova's dick like no other.
She was deep throating and finding a way to lick the balls.

I'm like damn bitch. Isn't Lindsay number one? Isn't Lindsay your friend?
You would push her down the river for a bigger IMG contract for your husband?

hingis-seles
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I'm shocked that no one gets the point the OP is trying to make.

He's not saying MJF is biased or unfair. He's simply saying that instead of being fair, she should try the verbal masturbation approach Patrick McEnroe does with the American men so she could field a better Fed Cup squad.

You may agree or disagree with the point of view, but the intended topic of discussion is crystal clear.

Pureracket
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:27 PM

He's not saying MJF is biased or unfair. He's simply saying that instead of being fair, she should try the verbal masturbation approach Patrick McEnroe does with the American men so she could field a better Fed Cup squad.

You may agree or disagree with the point of view, but the intended topic of discussion is crystal clear.All you had to do was ask for a good rep through PM. You didn't have to go and make this kind of post. LOL!

Thanks for helping with the point, Hingis-seles.

Tennisstar86
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:29 PM

I remember the same time this year in 2005 when Sharapova was catching up to Lindsay but Lindsay was number one.

:tape:

In The Zone
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I get the point. But do we really want MJF doing that?

And the racist comment wasn't implied by you, yes. But inevitably, when claims are made against the Sisters, that's the only argument that can be made. I was just cutting it off before it was made.

And no, MJF doesn't need to behave like that to keep Fed Cup. Hell, Zina was BFF with Vee and Ree and how many titles did the US get?

They are always going to do what they want to do. Regardless of how much their tushies are kissed.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:30 PM

You may agree or disagree with the point of view, but the intended topic of discussion is crystal clear.

Yes. That's worked so well for Patrick MacEnroe. :lol:

He kissed Andy's ass so much that Andy isn't playing the Olympics. :haha:
He kissed Andy's ass so much Andy forgot he was even there.

The US hasn't won FED CUP in some years but Lindsay, Serena, Venus, and Lisa will be there at the Olympics.
They're all going thru something right now which I don't think someone is getting.

Lisa is trying to figure out someone to play with to get her ranking back up.
Lindsay is having comeback regrets after playing on clay.
Venus has her sickness.

Serena is trying to get her ranking up to the top 4, so she can prevent herself from playing in the quarters against Justine and Sharapova.

So I see no reason why the future of American tennis shouldn't play.
Playing these FED CUP matches surely helped Harkleroad's confidence.

If Asha Rolle can get that confidence back and get fit, she has the ability to beat top 20 players.

Jamea Jackson had the confidence to beat Maria Sharapova at Birmingham after playing FED CUP.

hingis-seles
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:31 PM

:haha:

It's posts like these that make WTA World, WTA World. Loves it. :lol:

Tennisstar86
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:31 PM

except his point is stupid, because she couldnt verbally masturbate over them anymore...... At the AO last year if i hated Serena I would have wanted to throw things at my tv over mary Jo praising her.....

Patrick Mcenroe gushing over Andy roddick is ridiculous and sad...especailly after Roddick loses again and again....

hingis-seles
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:35 PM
All you had to do was ask for a good rep through PM. You didn't have to go and make this kind of post. LOL!

Haha! Just thought I'd put my two cents in and see if it wouldn't keep this thread from being dragged off-topic.

Yes. That's worked so well for Patrick MacEnroe. :lol:

He kissed Andy's ass so much that Andy isn't playing the Olympics. :haha:

The US hasn't won FED CUP in some years but Lindsay, Serena, Venus, and Lisa will be there at the Olympics.
They're all going thru something right now which I don't think someone is getting.

Lisa is trying to figure out someone to play with to get her ranking back up.
Lindsay is having comeback regrets after playing on clay.
Venus has her sickness.

Serena is trying to get her ranking up to the top 4, so she can prevent herself from playing in the quarters against Justine and Sharapova.

I'm never said I agreed with the point the OP was trying to make, especially if you read the end of my post which you have quoted. I was simply attempting to clarify the point up for discussion.

Tennisstar86
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Also last time i checked Mary Joe wasnt in charge of fed cup just yet..... so the players playing arent because of her.....

hingis-seles
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:37 PM
except his point is stupid, because she couldnt verbally masturbate over them anymore...... At the AO last year if i hated Serena I would have wanted to throw things at my tv over mary Jo praising her.....

Patrick Mcenroe gushing over Andy roddick is ridiculous and sad...especailly after Roddick loses again and again....

I never said I agreed with the point the OP was trying to make, especially if you read the end of my post which you have quoted. I was simply attempting to clarify the point up for discussion.

Pat McEnroe's incessant verbal masturbation during Roddick matches is enough to cause anyone acute nausea. Not to mention the hilarity of it all when Andy loses.

hingis-seles
Also last time i checked Mary Joe wasnt in charge of fed cup just yet..... so the players playing arent because of her.....

She's assisting Zina, right?

No Name Face
I like Mary Jo. She just complimented Serena's angles in the Sharapova match. Fans like you are annoying, sorry.

Pureracket
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I get the point. But do we really want MJF doing that?

And the racist comment wasn't implied by you, yes. But inevitably, when claims are made against the Sisters, that's the only argument that can be made. I was just cutting it off before it was made. That's probably the most condescending load of crap I've ever heard, but since I know your style, there's no way I could feel inferior. How in the hell are you going to try to predict what my intentions are when I'm making a post? That's the most bogus, silly piece of crap I think I've read on this board. Do better.

And no, MJF doesn't need to behave like that to keep Fed Cup. Hell, Zina was BFF with Vee and Ree and how many titles did the US get?They were injured, and they still played through injury with Zina and BJK. Regardless of their wins, they played. They were the highest ranked players for their countries.

They are always going to do what they want to do. Regardless of how much their tushies are kissed.Not true....not true. Venus sacrificed and risked injury trying to win that final against Russia. She played two singles matches, and she played doubles with Lisa Raymond. She also played doubles with LR in WTT in order to prepare for Fed Cup.

Are you posting just to see yourself post?

frontier
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Mary jo's face is up Maria's skirt because her husband is Maria's agent.I dont think Serena cares about the commentators at the end of the day what they say is irrelevant because she beat 4 of the top 5 this year.Its an open secret that the quintet of Mary JO,Carillo,Evert,Shriver and Austin are very bitchy towards the sisters including that diva Cliff.

Pureracket
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:40 PM
I like Mary Jo. She just complimented Serena's angles in the Sharapova match. Fans like you are annoying, sorry.
Gladly ignore, then :wavey:

In The Zone
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Okay, I get the point that you're trying to save face by tearing everything I say apart.

Bottom line, no one agrees with you. Sorry.

Pureracket
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:44 PM
She's assisting Zina, right?http://www.ontennis.com/news/fernandez-captain-us-fed-cup-team

Fernandez to captain US Fed Cup team

By: www.sportinglife.com
Two-time Olympic gold medalist Mary Jo Fernandez will take over as captain of the United States Fed Cup team in 2009, the USTA announced on Monday.
Fernandez, 36, helped the US Fed Cup team reach the finals in four of her six years as a member of the team, including a title in 1996.
Overall, she posted a 16-10 record, including a 12-8 singles mark, in 18 Fed Cup ties.
Fernandez will assist current captain Zina Garrison as a coach in 2008.

<snippet>

Tennisstar86
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:44 PM
She's assisting Zina, right?

yes..... but "assistin" not in charge... not yet....

Pureracket
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Okay, I get the point that you're trying to save face by tearing everything I say apart.

Bottom line, no one agrees with you. Sorry.No, that's not the bottomline. You made an ignorant comment, and I want let it go....even as you try to duck and dodge the comment about race.

I'm not trying to save face @ all. I made the OP, and it is how I feel. I can take tennistar's calling me "stupid," because maybe I am. I can take nnamefeces calling me "ignorant," because I may be. However, I know I was not even thinking about race in the OP. You mentioned it, and you gave a bullshit reason for your bringing it up. Notice. No one is backing you up on that either. Why are you apologizing?:confused:

Tennisstar86
http://www.ontennis.com/news/fernandez-captain-us-fed-cup-team

Fernandez to captain US Fed Cup team

By: www.sportinglife.com
Two-time Olympic gold medalist Mary Jo Fernandez will take over as captain of the United States Fed Cup team in 2009, the USTA announced on Monday.
Fernandez, 36, helped the US Fed Cup team reach the finals in four of her six years as a member of the team, including a title in 1996.
Overall, she posted a 16-10 record, including a 12-8 singles mark, in 18 Fed Cup ties.
Fernandez will assist current captain Zina Garrison as a coach in 2008.

<snippet>

yes so it makes sense that because of Mary Joes commentating the Sisters turn their back on their friend Zina's last year as coach...:rolleyes:

If it was a stick it to mary joe they'd play this year win the title and then be MIA next year....

Next troll please...

hingis-seles
yes..... but "assistin" not in charge... not yet....

Thanks for the clarification. I remembered reading it somewhere, but wasn't entirely sure.

Pureracket
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:48 PM
yes..... but "assistin" not in charge... not yet....She'll be in charge in '09 when the US Fed Cup team will probably have a tie in a remote part of the world because they are undoubtedly going to get swept against Russia.

Tennisstar86
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:49 PM
No, that's not the bottomline. You made an ignorant comment, and I want let it go....even as you try to duck and dodge the comment about race.

I'm not trying to save face @ all. I made the OP, and it is how I feel. I can take tennistar's calling me "stupid," because maybe I am. I can take nnamefeces calling me "ignorant," because I may be. However, I know I was not even thinking about race in the OP. You mentioned it, and you gave a bullshit reason for your bringing it up. Notice. No one is backing you up on that either. Why are you apologizing?:confused:

I didnt call you stupid and if you'd taken and passed elementary grammer and knew what an adjective was. you'd know that.....

No Name Face
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Gladly ignore, then :wavey:

Why? You're wrong about this, but you don't bother me.

I'm sorry but if you expect me to be like :rolls: :haha: :worship: :haha: you're so right/witty/funny/accurate, then you're mistaken. That's about it.

Robert-KimClijst
Mary Jo is a fine commentator. She knows the game, she knows how to be fair but not overly-harsh, and she has wise inputs. I think you're being too harsh on her. There are a lot worse commentators, trust me.

Pureracket
yes so it makes sense that because of Mary Joes commentating the Sisters turn their back on their friend Zina's last year as coach...:rolleyes:

If it was a stick it to mary joe they'd play this year win the title and then be MIA next year....

Next troll please...:haha: I don't think even the most negative posters would agree with you in believing that that's what I meant. :haha:

Where in the hell did I say MJF's commentating is the reason the Sisters are not playing Fed Cup this year?

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you actually know what I mean, but you're just trying to be facetious. Your comprehension skills are better than that. I just know it.

Pureracket
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Why? You're wrong about this, but you don't bother me.

I'm sorry but if you expect me to be like :rolls: :haha: :worship: :haha: you're so right/witty/funny/accurate, then you're mistaken. That's about it.Umm....no....I was not really thinking about your reaction @ all after my last response to you:rolleyes:, but now that you mention it....the fact remains. Mary Jo Fernandez is fielding Rolle, Bringle, and Huber. Patty McEnroe is fielding Arod, Blake, and the twins. Yeah, I may be wrong, but I'm talking about the same kind of "wrong" that gets Cup wins.

Tennisstar86
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Umm....no....I was not really thinking about your reaction @ all after my last response to you:rolleyes:, but now that you mention it....the fact remains. Mary Jo Fernandez is fielding Rolle, Bringle, and Huber. Patty McEnroe is fielding Arod, Blake, and the twins. Yeah, I may be wrong, but I'm talking about the same kind of "wrong" that gets Cup wins.

Wrong zina Garrison is fielding that team.....

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Wrong zina Garrison is fielding that team.....

Don't worry about it.
This is the same person who said just a few days ago that America has it's drafts for the military active and he wasn't joking.
Everything is not there anymore.

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Pure, I get it.

You're talking about MJF being politic.

Everyone please go back and read the OP. He even said MJF is fair. I maybe wrong, but I think he's saying a little overt booty kissin' wouldn't hurt the fed cup roster ;)

Vamos.
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I don't think MJ Fernandez has anything to do with why Serena doesn't play Fed Cup right now. :shrug:

This is a bit naive really.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Pure, I get it.

You're talking about MJF being politic.

Everyone please go back and read the OP. He even said MJF is fair. I maybe wrong, but I think he's saying a little overt booty kissin' wouldn't hurt the fed cup roster ;)

She does as much booty kissing if not more than Patrick.

You'll never hear her say the things that Patrick has said to James Blake.
And right now, all of the top American players are dealing with something right now as I explained before.

All the butt kissing in the world is not going to get Lindsay playing in Moscow on clay.
All the butt kissing in the world is not going to get venus to get off he schedule of coming back possibly at Rome.
All the butt kissing in the world is not going to get Lisa from figuring out a new partner to play for in doubles to get her ranking back up to the top 10 so she can have a good shot at playing in the Olympics just in case Lindsay ditches her.

All the butt kissing in the world is not going to get Serena from playing her schedule the way she wants so she can avoid playing Justine and Sharapova in the quarters.
She could have won a slam last year if she would have played Justine in a SF instead of a quarters.

Honestly if you want to be real about it, the reason the men's players are so devoted to Davis Cup is because none of them have a great shot at winning a slam unlike the ladies.
Even the Bryan brothers are 50/50 with the way they're playing this year.

starin
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:24 AM
iono i always liked MJF. She's been very positive about both WS in general. She defended them a lot in the last 2 years. But also remember she's married to some IMG agent who's Sharapova's agent if i'm not mistaken. So...not really a surprise if she's a little biased toward Maria. she's not as bad as Carillo or that douche w/ the brown hair.

Ryan
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:25 AM
ROTF. Serena, Venus, and Lindsay don't play because they don't care about Fed Cup, not because MJF, who has yet to actually coach a tie, doesn't suck up to them. Keep it comin PR. :lol:

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:25 AM
She does as much booty kissing if not more than Patrick.

You'll never hear her say the things that Patrick has said to James Blake.
And right now, all of the top American players are dealing with something right now as I explained before.

All the butt kissing in the world is not going to get Lindsay playing in Moscow on clay.
All the butt kissing in the world is not going to get venus to get off he schedule of coming back possibly at Rome.
All the butt kissing in the world is not going to get Lisa from figuring out a new partner to play for in doubles to get her ranking back up to the top 10 so she can have a good shot at playing in the Olympics just in case Lindsay ditches her.

All the butt kissing in the world is not going to get Serena from playing her schedule the way she wants so she can avoid playing Justine and Sharapova in the quarters.
She could have won a slam last year if she would have played Justine in a SF instead of a quarters.

Honestly if you want to be real about it, the reason the men's players are so devoted to Davis Cup is because none of them have a great shot at winning a slam unlike the ladies.
Even the Bryan brothers are 50/50 with the way they're playing this year.Okay. I think all that is a reasaonable argument to the post, but it just seemed like there was a lot of misinterpretation.

Black Mamba.
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:27 AM
MJF over the years has been the most fair commentator to Vee and Rena. When Austin, Shriver, etc, etc have all gone out of their way to take personal shots(non tennis related) at the sisters MJF rarely joined in.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Okay. I think all that is a reasaonable argument to the post, but it just seemed like there was a lot of misinterpretation.

I doubt that. There are enough intelligent posters on here who have disagreed with this OP that it doesn't seem to be an misinterpretation at all.
It seems someone is barking up the wrong tree when the Mary Carillo willow is just up the block.

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I'm talking about that "racism" stuff and being disrespectful of MJF.

OsloErik
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:54 AM

If the top American players need someone to "swoon" over them to fit Fed Cup into their schedule, that reflects more poorly on them than Mary Jo Fernandez. Mary Jo also goes hog-wild when the Williams sisters do well, and has much more confidence in them when they aren't doing well than any other commentator. If Venus, Serena, Lindsay, etc. need an ego boost to join Fed Cup, that's their fault, and it speaks better of Mary Jo that she doesn't pander to egocentric, selfish individuals.

[disclaimer: I don't actually think Venus, Serena, or Lindsay are selfish/egocentric. I'm just illustrating a point]

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I'm talking about that "racism" stuff and being disrespectful of MJF.

I haven't paid any attention to that nor do I care.
If there are some "misinterpretations" I'm pretty sure that Pureracket has said something previously that warrants those "misinterpretatiions".
Me, I'm pretty much have no time to waste on posters whose rationale boarders on insanity if it's not there already.
That bridge is burned.

Dawn Marie
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:42 AM

I was just reading this thread and I want to say, that thank you. U understood everything and summed it up so well.

darrinbaker00
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Your attack about race is evil and unsubstantiated. I'm not upset, though, it's your pollution.

Also, if anybody sees this as an attack on MJF, you obviously aren't a sports fan and can't tell what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the difference between MJF's commentary and Pat McEnroe's. The teams are there, and we know good and well it's a difference.
1. Ms. Fernandez's name is Mary JOE, not Mary JO.

2. It looks to me like you're insinuating that the main reason Roddick and Blake play Davis Cup is because Patrick McEnroe gushes over them in the broadcast booth. I refuse to believe that either of those guys are that shallow.

Pureracket
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:14 AM
1. Ms. Fernandez's name is Mary JOE, not Mary JO.

2. It looks to me like you're insinuating that the main reason Roddick and Blake play Davis Cup is because Patrick McEnroe gushes over them in the broadcast booth. I refuse to believe that either of those guys are that shallow.1. Thanks for the correction. This year I can spell it right on her Christmas card.

2. If you get that I am insinuating that the only reason Roddick and Blake play is because of Pat McEnroe gushes over them in the broadcast booth, then either I didn't make myself very clear in the OP, or you have a problem understanding. Neither is very good.

Pat has established a bit of a "good ol' boy" network with his players that is evident in the broadcast booth. BJK established it to an extent, and it was some obvious "swooning" and "gushing" over the top American women players whenever BJK was in the broadcast booth. Obviously, Zina did something in order to get Venus to commit like she did.

I don't see that same approach by MJF, though. I see her as rather fair and professional, but it's nowhere near to where Pat McEnroe is. Sometimes I forget that ARod is even playing another player when Pat is doing commentary.

My OP merely suggests that MJF establish that same kind of comraderie with the top American players in order to make headway for commitment.

hablo
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:39 AM

Your post was worth me reading the whole thread. :lol:

So many posters didn't get the meaning of it and even brought the race card into it. That's sad. But I guess not everyone is aware of the politics surrounding Fed Cup/Davis Cup for the Americans.

Tennisstar86
Apr 19th, 2008, 06:04 AM
1. Thanks for the correction. This year I can spell it right on her Christmas card.

2. If you get that I am insinuating that the only reason Roddick and Blake play is because of Pat McEnroe gushes over them in the broadcast booth, then either I didn't make myself very clear in the OP, or you have a problem understanding. Neither is very good.

Pat has established a bit of a "good ol' boy" network with his players that is evident in the broadcast booth. BJK established it to an extent, and it was some obvious "swooning" and "gushing" over the top American women players whenever BJK was in the broadcast booth. Obviously, Zina did something in order to get Venus to commit like she did.

I don't see that same approach by MJF, though. I see her as rather fair and professional, but it's nowhere near to where Pat McEnroe is. Sometimes I forget that ARod is even playing another player when Pat is doing commentary.
My OP merely suggests that MJF establish that same kind of comraderie with the top American players in order to make headway for commitment.

:rolleyes:

Our ideas of professional are completely different. A professional commentator is one that DOESNT show favoritism to their favorite be it best friend or countymen... All Patrick has succeeded in doing is giving A-rod a big fat ego that Federer had to continuously knock down.

Mary Joe is good friends with Lindsay davenport and as friendly with venus and Serena as they allow her to be (Venus doesnt get very close with most people on tour anyways....).... As someone else pointed out Venus and Serena are still vying for Majors.... Male Us Players not so much so of course they jump at the chance to play for their country.

What you tried to say is that MJF doesnt gush over them (which is a lie she does) then when you got called on it, you tried to claim she doesnt have a relationship with them (another lie) Then you tried to say the fed cup team has a poor line up this year because shes leading it (another lie, because Zina's still in charge) basically you're thread has no point cause its full of :bs:

homogenius
Apr 19th, 2008, 07:27 AM

:spit:

homogenius
Apr 19th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Our ideas of professional are completely different. A professional commentator is one that DOESNT show favoritism to their favorite be it best friend or countymen... All Patrick has succeeded in doing is giving A-rod a big fat ego that Federer had to continuously knock down.

Mary Joe is good friends with Lindsay davenport and as friendly with venus and Serena as they allow her to be (Venus doesnt get very close with most people on tour anyways....).... As someone else pointed out Venus and Serena are still vying for Majors.... Male Us Players not so much so of course they jump at the chance to play for their country.

What you tried to say is that MJF doesnt gush over them (which is a lie she does) then when you got called on it, you tried to claim she doesnt have a relationship with them (another lie) Then you tried to say the fed cup team has a poor line up this year because shes leading it (another lie, because Zina's still in charge) basically you're thread has no point cause its full of :bs:

ouch

darrinbaker00
Apr 19th, 2008, 07:54 AM

Actually, Mary Joe's husband, Tony Godsick, represents Lindsay, Maria and Roger Federer. Whoever Tony is working with that week is Mary Joe's best friend. ;)

Renalicious
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I love Mary Jo :sad:

Pureracket
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:19 AM

What you tried to say is that MJF doesnt gush over them (which is a lie she does) then when you got called on it, you tried to claim she doesnt have a relationship with them (another lie) Then you tried to say the fed cup team has a poor line up this year because shes leading it (another lie, because Zina's still in charge) basically you're thread has no point cause its full of :bs::haha: Are you still on your little pilgrimage for validation? LOL!

Let's just say the thread does NOT have a point. I wouldn't be all up in a thread that doesn't have a point. I'd leave it. You're the genius. Stop lowering yourself to posting in this thread.

Also, you say that male players are not competing for majors as much as women. "Not so much" is how you put it. Other posters are probably shaking their heads and laughing @ your ass for that load of crap.:lol:

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Actually, Mary Joe's husband, Tony Godsick, represents Lindsay, Maria and Roger Federer. Whoever Tony is working with that week is Mary Joe's best friend. ;)

The commentating must not be bringing in the mula.

One of the reasons I wanted to see Lindsay/Sharapova play at Amelia Island is to see what Mary joe would do.
I was hoping she would get so frustrated about not commentating her way she would start hitting on Cliff Drysdale. :lol:

She got him today though. Embarassed him, telling everyone about that dirty ass shirt he wore for two days and at dinner. :lol:
And you know a queen like that has to keep up with the Joneses, so he was pissed.

PLP
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I didn't know MJF was coaching next year! :hearts:
She has always seemed like a great commentator to me, and I really loved her as a player. I only wish things had gone a bit more her way in GS finals, she was so close!

I understand the thread, but I just wanted to say that maybe the opposite could be true. Perhaps there are reasons Zina hasn't been able to coach the team to a title, and that her closeness with Venus and Serena hasn't actually helped in this case. Maybe MJF will win it next year, with or without them? Who can say. In any case, I don't think the semis have been played yet. :angel:
The USA's "C" squad might be able to cause some real damage, Russia hasn't won it yet.

BTW, Unless it's Oracene or Richard, I don't see Venus or Serena playing FedCup if it isn't there prerogative, just for a coach. The timing of it is always sucky, it's really difficult to blame top players for not wanting to play.

Pureracket
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I didn't know MJF was coaching next year! :hearts:
She has always seemed like a great commentator to me, and I really loved her as a player. I only wish things had gone a bit more her way in GS finals, she was so close!

I understand the thread, but I just wanted to say that maybe the opposite could be true. Perhaps there are reasons Zina hasn't been able to coach the team to a title, and that her closeness with Venus and Serena hasn't actually helped in this case. Maybe MJF will win it next year, with or without them? Who can say. In any case, I don't think the semis have been played yet. :angel:
The USA's "C" squad might be able to cause some real damage, Russia hasn't won it yet.

BTW, Unless it's Oracene or Richard, I don't see Venus or Serena playing FedCup if it isn't there prerogative, just for a coach. The timing of it is always sucky, it's really difficult to blame top players for not wanting to play.Cool response. ;)

RE: your last paragraph, though. I agree with what you're saying about Oracene or Richard, but I do think BJK and Zina had a kind of "pull" on them as well.

I'm not sure that MJF has that kind of pull with them yet. I don't know if it's because MJF played on the tour with them, and they don't really see her as an "elder" or what. Like people said, though, MJF has not taken over yet, so who knows, Venus and Serena may very well make themselves available every year. I was simply making an observation with the Pat McEnroe relationship. In fact, all of the American male announcers make it widely known that they are rooting for the American players. It's not so obvious with the American female announcers.

I'm glad you didn't see this as an indictment.:lol:

Tennisstar86
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:22 PM
:haha: Are you still on your little pilgrimage for validation? LOL!

Let's just say the thread does NOT have a point. I wouldn't be all up in a thread that doesn't have a point. I'd leave it. You're the genius. Stop lowering yourself to posting in this thread.

Also, you say that male players are not competing for majors as much as women. "Not so much" is how you put it. Other posters are probably shaking their heads and laughing @ your ass for that load of crap.:lol:

What can I say. I just like correcting the delusional....:shrug: I dont need validation the 99% of people in this thread agreeing with me give me that. You still looking for your laughs for your "witty" post though i see.... took all that time to write it and noone agrees with you, must be sad...

And yes they arent competing for majors... when was the last time an American male held up a Grand Slam? Of the current batch of active players American Men have 1 Grand slam between them
American Women have 17 Grand Slams between them.... Even more if you consider Capriati still un retired...

One of the reasons I wanted to see Lindsay/Sharapova play at Amelia Island is to see what Mary joe would do.
I was hoping she would get so frustrated about not commentating her way she would start hitting on Cliff Drysdale. :lol:

She got him today though. Embarassed him, telling everyone about that dirty ass shirt he wore for two days and at dinner. :lol:
And you know a queen like that has to keep up with the Joneses, so he was pissed.

Yes, I saw that and it was hilarious... especially when Pam joined in. "You didnt have to wear it out to dinner with us though did you Cliff, you could have changed" :haha: :tape:

Pureracket
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:37 PM
:lol:What can I say. I just like correcting the delusional....:shrug: I dont need validation the 99% of people in this thread agreeing with me give me that. You still looking for your laughs for your "witty" post though i see.... took all that time to write it and noone agrees with you, must be sad...

And yes they arent competing for majors... when was the last time an American male held up a Grand Slam? Of the current batch of active players American Men have 1 Grand slam between them
American Women have 17 Grand Slams between them.... Even more if you consider Capriati still un retired...
Sooo....just because American aren't actually "winning" the majors means they aren't competing for them?:confused: By that logic, only Federer and Nadal and now Djokovic have been competing for the majors. You're just being silly now.
Oddly enough the only three men actually "competing" (your logic, not mine)for majors represented their countries for Davis Cup this year. In fact, two of these three men have won a Slam since any American woman has.
(Umm...I think you need to let this point of argument go. I'm actually starting to get embarrassed for you.:sad:)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's weird how you say you don't need "validation from 99% agreeing with [you]," then you turn right around and say to me "that noone agrees with you, must be sad".:lol:

Sooo....you don't need validation(which is a lie, btw), but I'm somehow saddened because noone agrees with me? Help me out here: Though you're the one who's coming into a thread where I'm the OP, and you hurl all kinds of "stupid" and "ignorant" adjectives @ my posts, but I'm the one who needs validation?!!?

Tennistar, cut it out. :haha:

darrinbaker00
Apr 19th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Tony was also Mary Joe's agent when she played. He obviously got his cut in other ways. :hehehe:

Quiet as it's kept, I think Cliff is the real father of Mary Joe's AND Pam Shriver's kids. ;)

toasino
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM

Good post!

fammmmedspin
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Indeed not only is she entitled to like particular players style of play but when she's actually played people she's perfectly entitled to note that their style isn't very cerebral or varied compared to people who she thinks would have played better against her or play more like her.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Another factor noone has mentioned is that Mary Joe has played these players and beaten them.

She's beaten Serena and actually bageled her, something that is rarely done.
She's beaten Lindsay. She was up a set and a break against Venus Williams until she had a bad fall at the 1999 US Open.
She's beaten Lisa.
She's also played doubles with Lisa and Lindsay.

In fact I think that helps them to respect her more than someone like Patrick because she knows their weaknesses, she's exploited them herself and she knows their strengths.
You think that Serena would have mentioned Mary Joe's win against Sabatini at the 1994 French Open if she didn't respect her.
She said it was the thing that kept her in the match, thinking point by point, game by game, set by set against Justine to win last year at Miami.

Pureracket
May 29th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Q. If I can go off subject a little bit, where does Fed Cup stand for you now? Is that something you still want to commit to at any time, or all the time or do you think that you've given it what you can and maybe leave it for the younger girls? Where is that in the Venus Williams scheme of things?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I love Fed Cup, and I always played Fed Cup because I love Billie and I love Zina, so that was really part of my motivation. The ties now are really tough. Like after the Australian and after the US Open I have to take care of me, and so for me it's probably not the best decision to play after those tournaments.
So a lot of times about playing Fed Cup is really about is really about just making the best decision for me and my tennis. It's not that I don't want to play, because I always feel torn about it usually, because I love Zina and Billie.
So it was tough to make the decision not to play, but usually I did it because it wasn't good for me. I needed to rest or do whatever I needed to do.
I'll try to play if it's a good decision for me.

Q. So are you saying you don't love Mary Joe quite as much?
VENUS WILLIAMS: I don't really know her. I know Zina and Billie, so it's definitely a personal connection. (Ahem:eek:)

Q. Do you think it would be a good idea for her to do maybe what Patrick did and maybe go with the young kids and formulate a team and hope they come together, even if it takes...
VENUS WILLIAMS: I don't know what she should do. I don't have the magic cure answer.

Destiny
May 29th, 2008, 07:21 PM
VENUS WILLIAMS: I don't really know her. I know Zina and Billie, so it's definitely a personal connection.

:lol: nice dodge

Pureracket
May 29th, 2008, 07:25 PM
VENUS WILLIAMS: I don't really know her. I know Zina and Billie, so it's definitely a personal connection.

:lol: nice dodge
LOL! I'm wondering if Mary J. F. read my letter.

Destiny
May 29th, 2008, 07:27 PM
:lol:

gmokb
May 29th, 2008, 07:46 PM
VENUS WILLIAMS: I don't really know her. I know Zina and Billie, so it's definitely a personal connection. (Ahem:eek:)

Q. Do you think it would be a good idea for her to do maybe what Patrick did and maybe go with the young kids and formulate a team and hope they come together, even if it takes...
VENUS WILLIAMS: I don't know what she should do. I don't have the magic cure answer.

Well obviously no love there but power to you Vee for not being tricked into giving definte answers.:D