PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Confidence vs Loud Nervousness

eugreene2
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:43 PM
This clearly describes the match today. From the 1st point, Maria was ready to kick, yell and scream her way to victory. On the other hand, Serena is trying to invest more and more into a calm, yet confident competitor. Sure, she's still an emotional person/player and the grunts/growls come out from time to time. But remember, this same quiet confidence was exemplified in the Justine match in Miami. And only did Serena get loud in other matches when she was badly messing up.

Sharapova, on the other hand, was waaaayyyyyyyyy too intense today. I thought it was a grand slam or something. Just toooo much.

There's an old martial arts lesson that if you enter a fight and your opponent is not saying anything but you're talking sh*t, getting loud and making threats, you better watch out because your opponent probably knows something you don't!!!

kwilliams
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:50 PM
This clearly describes the match today. From the 1st point, Maria was ready to kick, yell and scream her way to victory. On the other hand, Serena is trying to invest more and more into a calm, yet confident competitor. Sure, she's still an emotional person/player and the grunts/growls come out from time to time. But remember, this same quiet confidence was exemplified in the Justine match in Miami. And only did Serena get loud in other matches when she was badly messing up.

Sharapova, on the other hand, was waaaayyyyyyyyy too intense today. I thought it was a grand slam or something. Just toooo much.

There's an old martial arts lesson that if you enter a fight and your opponent is not saying anything but you're talking sh*t, getting loud and making threats, you better watch out because your opponent probably knows something you don't!!!

Serena is one of the few players that has more presence on court than Sharapova. She was probably trying to assert herself, many of her wins (especially on clay) come from her drive and she would have needed all the drive she had to beat Serena today.

frontier
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:57 PM
pova was trying to pyche herself up but deep down she was so nervous and was thinking of all the losses she has suffered by Serena's racket.

Megan1224
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:03 PM
No disrespect or anything, but was this thread really necessary...you couldn't have put this thought in any of the other billion threads we have about the match.

jfaithfully
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Nahhh Maria reverted back to bringing her hard court game to CLAY big mistake. Serena is good on clay so for her hitting it hard was no problem and hitting side to side again no problem because Serena can slide into shots unlike Sharapova. Serena could care less about shine because guess what Serena has been there, done it and past her sweaty t-shirt to sharapova who proudly wears it as though it were new.

I just like how serena is choosing not mess up her concentration by focusing her screams into hard hitting, few errors, perfect movement and great conversion stats

Denise4925
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:10 PM

Well, I think that Maria was trying to psych herself up, because she has lost to Serena the last four times they've played each other and she is playing her on a surface that she is not at her best on. However, with that said Maria does this in every match and I think not only is it a vehicle to psych herself up, but an intimidation tactic that works on a majority of her opponents. Unfortunately for her, it doesn't work on Serena. But, nervous or not, she played very well today and it was a great match, so all credit to her for giving it her best.

eugreene2
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:27 PM
No disrespect or anything, but was this thread really necessary...you couldn't have put this thought in any of the other billion threads we have about the match.

I can respect that statement but this is a different topic. It's not new but different. The topic goes all the way back to Monica Seles and her grunting. Truth of the matter, some of it derives from an attempt to psyche your self up or intimidate your opponent. I think what players like Serena are learning is that your game can intimidate all by itself. Therefore, let out the screams and "come ons" only when worthy.

P.S. Is Serena clapping for her opponents more now when they make a great shot than in the pass. That's two matches in a row where I've seen her do that.

Slutiana
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I can respect that statement but this is a different topic. It's not new but different. The topic goes all the way back to Monica Seles and her grunting. Truth of the matter, some of it derives from an attempt to psyche your self up or intimidate your opponent. I think what players like Serena are learning is that your game can intimidate all by itself. Therefore, let out the screams and "come ons" only when worthy.

P.S. Is Serena clapping for her opponents more now when they make a great shot than in the pass. That's two matches in a row where I've seen her do that.
She always does it.

And I hate it when she does. :o