PDA

View Full Version : Serena Ties Venus for fastest Serve

Tennisstar86
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:21 PM
:sad:

Thats alright Venus get it back....

fred17
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:23 PM
brenda has it since last year again. some quali match at cincy i think...

Tennisstar86
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:24 PM
brenda has it since last year again. some quali match at cincy i think...

main draw is what matters....

Poova
That wasn't the record, Brenda Schultz-McCarthy has the record.

young_gunner913
She hammered that ball. MJ thinks she could get it in the 130's. :hearts:

Renalicious
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM
It's the record for the main draw of any tournament. It was weird. It didnt feel like the record :lol:

GracefulVenus
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:26 PM

not really.......the fastest serve should be the fastest serve huh? :shrug:

young_gunner913
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:26 PM
It's the record for the main draw of any tournament. It was weird. It didnt feel like the record :lol:

well Ree cant stop the match and jump up and down saying "I broke a record!" :lol:

Tennisstar86
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:27 PM
not really.......the fastest serve should be the fastest serve huh? :shrug:

Wrong.... cause little susie johns from down the street could go out and hit 150 mph on a practice court... but who really cares....

fred17
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:27 PM
it isnt the record. brenda has the record. she is a better server also

Renalicious
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:30 PM
It's a record for matches played in the main draw

fred17
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:32 PM
ok i also heard that barbara schett hit the hardest backhand down the line played in the 7th game of the 2nd set in a third round match at the second grand slam of the year once. she has the price still in her house :)

Poova
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:36 PM
It's a record for matches played in the main draw
But it doesn't matter where it was hit. Your serving speed is not effected by your opponent.

Just face it, Venus doesn't have the record. :yawn:

fred17
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:36 PM
But it doesn't matter where it was hit. Your serving speed is not effected by your opponent.

;)

Tennisstar86
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:37 PM

ok well... the next time the announcers say Serena just hit a 130 mph so she has the record from her sister Venus you be sure to send them an email....

V-MAC
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:39 PM
of course she would have to :rolleyes: Serena always has to steal Vee's thunder :ras: ;)

DA FOREHAND
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:42 PM
What happens in qualies,....stays in qualies. It means nothing until you make the main draw.

tennistuff
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:47 PM
ok well... the next time the announcers say Serena just hit a 130 mph so she has the record from her sister Venus you be sure to send them an email....

The powers that be do not respect Brenda's record they still quote Venus and now Serena with the fastest serve. I will go with that.:bounce:

faboozadoo15
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Do you guys know how rare it is for serves to be clocked in Quali matches?
It's still a WTA tourney, a WTA record. Brenda's got it.

disco_rage
Apr 18th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Doesn't matter if it was qualies or main draw in my view.. if it was a WTA event with a speed gun.. its a record. and its Brenda's.
Lol.. funny how its the Venus fans going Oh no it has to main draw.. what difference does it make.

youizahoe
Apr 18th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Brenda's serve is official the fastest on the tour. 133mph. There was an article of it, on the WTA site. So it's official.

Mikey B
Apr 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM
big sis wont be happy... sure she'll try to get it back soon!

Direwolf
Apr 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM
No... not really..

we dont know how many KM PER HOUR it is...

cuz 1 km could make the difference

Dave.
Apr 18th, 2008, 07:07 PM
What happens in qualies,....stays in qualies. It means nothing until you make the main draw.

No way. Brenda hit the fastest serve so the record is hers. End of. Qualifying matches are still tennis matches, and still just as competitive as MD.

The record is Brenda's.

DA FOREHAND
Apr 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I could give a rats ass. I understand that w/or w/out the record serving is the only thing BSM will be remembered for. If she's remembered at all.

It's not like hitting a 133mph serve is going to be the determining factor when it comes time to decide if she makes the hall of fame.

Destiny
Apr 18th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Go Serena now raise it high so you can officially have the record:ras:

Expat
Apr 18th, 2008, 07:32 PM
whatever its her that holds the record
even if she was a one dimensional player its her record main draw or not

Dave.
Apr 18th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I could give a rats ass. I understand that w/or w/out the record serving is the only thing BSM will be remembered for. If she's remembered at all.

It's not like hitting a 133mph serve is going to be the determining factor when it comes time to decide if she makes the hall of fame.

Who said anything about Brenda being in the hall of fame? The fact is she owns the record for the fastest serve. Doesn't mean she's better than Serena or Venus. No need to start insulting Brenda's career.

laurie
Apr 18th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I corrected Ace magazine here in the UK last year over this issue. Brenda like others said has the record. Unless Serena broke that?

Who cares whether its the main draw or not? Brenda has the record because she served the fastest serve.

Il Primo!
Apr 18th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Does Rena really love her sis?

Mightymirza
Apr 18th, 2008, 08:21 PM

:spit: :BS:

canuckfan
Apr 18th, 2008, 08:24 PM

Actually it seems like you give a rat's ass.

If not you wouldn't be so defensive about it.

And I'm sure a lot of people will remember BSM.

brent-o
Apr 18th, 2008, 08:25 PM

We're not talking about the hall of fame. We're talking about fastest serve, and Brenda has earned that record. Your logic is like saying Roddick won a grand slam, but his backhand is pathetic so it shouldn't count. What does hall of fame contention have to do with serve speed?

hingisGOAT
Apr 18th, 2008, 08:44 PM
omg @ da forehand... so bitter :tape:

égalité
Apr 18th, 2008, 08:47 PM

Of course. It's not like qualifying matches are part of the WTA tour. I think "what happens in qualies stays in qualies" is actually in the official WTA handbook! So congrats on your stunning logic.

If Serena hit a 133 MPH serve in qualies and Brenda hit a 130 MPH serve in the main draw, one wonders if you'd make the same argument.

Morrissey
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Sorry Schultz McCarthy is a has been player that can't even hit the big serve in a regular WTA tour match. The real record is the Williams Sisters have the fastest serves on the WTA Tour and that's what matters! The facts are the facts! Nobody cares about qualifiers anyway.

TomTennis
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I corrected Ace magazine here in the UK last year over this issue. Brenda like others said has the record. Unless Serena broke that?

Who cares whether its the main draw or not? Brenda has the record because she served the fastest serve.

:spit: Haha....you geek! :lol:

j/k!!!!

TomTennis
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:07 PM
commentators will always see Venus with the record (and now Serena with the joint one) because it was a main draw match.

Personally, I believe BSM has the record, qualy or no qualy match, but in terms of main draw match, Venus/Serena now have it, and that is what the commentators refer to when they say "fastest serve"..its dumd I know, but who wants to hear about BSM in some qualiy match at cincy when you could talk about two sisters fighting over the fastest serve record.

canuckfan
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Sorry Schultz McCarthy is a has been player that can't even hit the big serve in a regular WTA tour match. The real record is the Williams Sisters have the fastest serves on the WTA Tour and that's what matters! The facts are the facts! Nobody cares about qualifiers anyway.

Says who?

Dodoboy.
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:12 PM
it isnt the record. brenda has the record. she is a better server also

OMG!

:haha::lol::lol:

Dodoboy.
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I am sorry but unless Brenda can do it in an MD or come close to it then we talk.

You can't just have a one-off in a QD and expect to be recognized. The thing is Serena will probably serve near it again if not beat it. And it will be under the lights with all the pressure and all that is at stake.

I am not sure about Venus :scared: All her pace is gone on the serve recently.

Prove me wrong Brenda ;)

Kunal
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:22 PM
another record in renas bag

young_gunner913
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:24 PM
The real question is, since hitting 133 mph, where's Brenda now? :lol:

Dodoboy.
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Did she even qualify for the tournie with that serve?

Dave.
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:40 PM
It doesn't matter what she did with the serve or whatever happened to her after. Fact: Brenda has hit the fastest serve of all time recorded in a match. Doesn't matter what commentator want to say or if it wasen't in the MD, this is a record that Serena and Venus do NOT have.

égalité
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:43 PM
It doesn't matter what she did with the serve or whatever happened to her after. Fact: Brenda has hit the fastest serve of all time recorded in a match. Doesn't matter what commentator want to say or if it wasen't in the MD, this is a record that Serena and Venus do NOT have.

Thank you! :worship:

People say "nobody cares about qualies" like it actually changes something.

Records only count if my favorite player has them!

laurie
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:54 PM
:spit: Haha....you geek! :lol:

j/k!!!!

Hey don't knock it - a record is a record :lol:

Go big bad Brenda, show them who's boss!

spencercarlos
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:18 AM
You say that.. not Wtatour who already has Brenda with the record :bounce:

And no Venus may never get it back :bounce:

starin
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:30 AM
The reason I tend not to want to count Brenda's serve for fastest serve is because she purposely played the rest of that one match w/ the sole goal of breaking the serve speed record. She didn't try to win the match. So she just hit every serve as a 1st serve trying to hit it as hard as possible. While Serena and Venus' came during matches they were trying to win. If Venus or Serena played a match and just tried to hit a harder and harder 1st serve over and over again I'm sure they could break 130. But obviously they're not going to cuz they're out there to win matches not break the serve speed record.

Tennisstar86
Apr 19th, 2008, 12:56 AM
You say that.. not Wtatour who already has Brenda with the record :bounce:

And no Venus may never get it back :bounce:

According to me and the commentators and anyone who isnt a hater...

Its like Serena and her "Grand Slam" she has it, the haters want to say no no it wasnt in one year blah blah...(time is arbitrary)

The reason I tend not to want to count Brenda's serve for fastest serve is because she purposely played the rest of that one match w/ the sole goal of breaking the serve speed record. She was losing anyways so she just hit 1st serve after 1st serve trying to hit it as hard as possible. While Serena and Venus' came during matches they were trying to win. If Venus or Serena played a match and just tried to hit a harder and harder 1st serve over and over again I'm sure they could break 130. But obviously they're not going to cuz they're out there to win matches not break the serve speed record.

Exactly.... The qualifiers dont count, because the pressure isnt the same you just go out there and wack away....

Expat
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:26 AM
The reason I tend not to want to count Brenda's serve for fastest serve is because she purposely played the rest of that one match w/ the sole goal of breaking the serve speed record. She didn't try to win the match. So she just hit every serve as a 1st serve trying to hit it as hard as possible. While Serena and Venus' came during matches they were trying to win. If Venus or Serena played a match and just tried to hit a harder and harder 1st serve over and over again I'm sure they could break 130. But obviously they're not going to cuz they're out there to win matches not break the serve speed record.
lmfao you all talk as if winning a qualifying match is a piece of cake
one can lose the match even after being 5-0 40-0 in the final set
she wanted to win as much as anyone else
BSM owns that record and theres no question about it
what she did with her rest of her game is another matter
congrats to serena to matching the second fastest serve of all time

hingisGOAT
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Exactly.... The qualifiers dont count, because the pressure isnt the same you just go out there and wack away....

:weirdo: This is a career for these women, you know :weirdo: In fact qualifying matches are probably even more hotly contested because a lot of them need the money just to make it to the next tournament :help:

starin
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:32 AM
lmfao you all talk as if winning a qualifying match is a piece of cake
one can lose the match even after being 5-0 40-0 in the final set
she wanted to win as much as anyone else
BSM owns that record and theres no question about it
what she did with her rest of her game is another matter
congrats to serena to matching the second fastest serve of all time

no i don't think i'm making it very clear.
From what I read about the match. At one point in the match Brenda and her coach decided that she wasn't going to try and win the match anymore. She just gave up and decided she was going to try to serve as hard as possible.
My point is Serena and Venus could both do this too. They could just stop trying to win the match and try to blast down a serve and break the serve record. But they aren't cuz they aren't going to give up on any match and jsut try to break the serve record. Serena basicaly said as much last year in one of her interviews.

Olórin
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:38 AM
My gosh some of you are back to front. You're acting as if it's only the WS on WTAW who are trying to take credit away from BSM, and making this main-draw qualification. The tennis commentators do it, and the WTA officials make that qualification. Does the record matter that much?

Serena obviously has a better serve than Brenda. Graf had a better serve than Brenda. It's not worth all this fuss.

Give BSM her dues, but also Vee and Ree are right up there as record holders of sorts. What I find most amazing is that they got their fastest serves when they weren't even trying :lol:

Tennisstar86
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:39 AM
:weirdo: This is a career for these women, you know :weirdo: In fact qualifying matches are probably even more hotly contested because a lot of them need the money just to make it to the next tournament :help:

Not in Brenda's case. she married well... she came out of retirement in 2005 cause shes playing for fun.... She was infact ranked pretty high in the 90's, but yeah....shes hurtin for cash...

She wanted to go for fast serves not win a match....

Olórin
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:39 AM
From what I read about the match. At one point in the match Brenda and her coach decided that she wasn't going to try and win the match anymore. She just gave up and decided she was going to try to serve as hard as possible.
My point is Serena and Venus could both do this too. They could just stop trying to win the match and try to blast down a serve and break the serve record. But they aren't cuz they aren't going to give up on any match and jsut try to break the serve record. Serena basicaly said as much last year in one of her interviews.

Exactly, they've probably hit serves harder by a few mph in practice before now, with no pressure. We know they can serve that hard. Their WTA matches comprise a very small part of their actuall tennis playing lives.

Dave.
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:40 AM

Well she broke the record didn't she, what's your point? Brenda has the record. You don't know for certain that Serena or Venus could brak the record. Anyway, most players (including Serena and Venus) go for everything on their serve anyway during a match.

Tennisstar86
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:40 AM
My gosh some of you are back to front. You're acting as if it's only the WS on WTAW who are trying to take credit away from BSM, and making this main-draw qualification. The tennis commentators do it, and the WTA officials make that qualification. Does the record matter that much?

Serena obviously has a better serve than Brenda. Graf had a better serve than Brenda. It's not worth all this fuss.

Give BSM her dues, but also Vee and Ree are right up there as record holders of sorts. What I find most amazing is that they got their fastest serves when they weren't even trying :lol:

What i find interesting is they both came on clay......

Dave.
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:42 AM

Well Brenda had the record all those years before Venus broke it. She wasen't trying to get it then either.

Olórin
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Well she broke the record didn't she, what's your point? Brenda has the record. You don't know for certain that Serena or Venus could brak the record.Anyway, most players (including Serena and Venus) go for everything on their serve anyway during a match.

Of course we know Venus or Serena could break the record, they probably have served faster than that before now, just not in a WTA environment. It's only a couple mph, it doesn't really make any difference. It's still a very hard serve :lol:

starin
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Well she broke the record didn't she, what's your point? Brenda has the record. You don't know for certain that Serena or Venus could brak the record. Anyway, most players (including Serena and Venus) go for everything on their serve anyway during a match.

no they don't. Cuz they are tryign to get a high 1st serve % as well and tryign to get good placement. Also, they're tryign to mix up their serves so that they can win the match. And it makes a difference if when you're serving and you're feeling the pressures of trying to win the point and the match as opposed to just trying to hit a hard serve. I mean I know for a fact Venus at one point was taking pace off to try and get a higher 1st serve percentage.

It's like I'm sure everyone in the top 10 could hit an extremely hard forehand or backhand or a really good dropshot or whatever but they don't cuz they are trying tow win the match and going for those shots have risks.

But really who cares let Brenda have the record.

Olórin
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Well Brenda had the record all those years before Venus broke it. She wasen't trying to get it then either.

I think she probably was trying to get it. I don't have any proof of this, but from what I have read, I know how proud she was of her serve and its power, so I would conjecture that in the right conditions she would simply try to whack it as fast as possible to see how hard she could serve. Venus did this early in her career as well, part of youth I guess. But what's amazing is that Venus broke her own record without even really trying later on in her career.

Dave.
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:57 AM
no they don't. Cuz they are tryign to get a high 1st serve % as well and tryign to get good placement. Also, they're tryign to mix up their serves so that they can win the match. And it makes a difference if when you're serving and you're feeling the pressures of trying to win the point and the match as opposed to just trying to hit a hard serve. I mean I know for a fact Venus at one point was taking pace off to try and get a higher 1st serve percentage.

It's like I'm sure everyone in the top 10 could hit an extremely hard forehand or backhand or a really good dropshot or whatever but they don't cuz they are trying tow win the match and going for those shots have risks.

But really who cares let Brenda have the record.

Yeah they are trying to play percentage-wise, but what I mean is there are some points in matches where players do take risks and go for their all on a serve or a groundstroke.

Brenda fully deserves this record. It's a meaningless one anyway, but my main point is that it's impossible to argue it.

darrinbaker00
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Do you guys know how rare it is for serves to be clocked in Quali matches?
It's still a WTA tourney, a WTA record. Brenda's got it.
I'm pretty sure there wouldn't have been a speed gun there if Brenda wasn't playing. ;)

darrinbaker00
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Exactly, they've probably hit serves harder by a few mph in practice before now, with no pressure. We know they can serve that hard. Their WTA matches comprise a very small part of their actuall tennis playing lives.
If you consider the money-making part "small," that is.....

V-MAC
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:20 AM

:tape: :lol:
I hope for all your effort they gave you letter of the week;)

Tech1
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Congrats Serena!!

-VSR-
Apr 19th, 2008, 06:17 AM
It's quite funny that Serena and Venus hit their 129 MPH serves on the clay courts. :lol:

I wish Venus would just wind up sometime at Wimbledon and go all out for breaking the record. A nice 135 MPH would do it. ;)