PDA

View Full Version : Charleston QF, Alize Cornet vs Agnes Szavay, who will win?

donellcarey
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I'll say Alize in 3.:wavey:

:bounce::bounce::bounce:
Allez Alize!

attis765
Apr 18th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Szavay in 2.

kuliza
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:26 AM
gi in 3:)

faboozadoo15
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:34 AM
If Agi plays well, I don't see there being a single thing Alize could do to threaten her...

attis765
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM
If Agi plays well, I don't see there being a single thing Alize could do to threaten her...

So true.Agnes can only beat herself against Cornet.

saint2
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Agnes in 2- 62 61 or sth...But, go Alize...:rolleyes:

Myggen
Apr 18th, 2008, 02:14 PM
So true.Agnes can only beat herself against Cornet.

Some of these posts on this forum are so biased sometimes it's almost funny to read them. Cornet has nothing to threaten Szavay with? Remember that consistency is a big part of clay court tennis and tennis in general. If Szavay is more talented than Cornet it is by the slightest of margins. True, Szavay is more powerful, but technically speaking Cornet is better. Cornet has also gotten stronger in the past year. Szavay still has many flaws to fix before she can rightfully call herself a contender of a top 10 spot. I predict that both of these players will occupy the spots between 10-20 in the rankings for the years to come and not much will separate them as they evaluate their careers in 15 years or so.

Poova
Apr 18th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Szavay 63 64

But once again, I hope for Alizé! :p :angel: I just don't see her beating Szavay though.

Bartosh
Apr 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Alize 64 26 63 :)
C'mon Alize!

attis765
Apr 18th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Some of these posts on this forum are so biased sometimes it's almost funny to read them. Cornet has nothing to threaten Szavay with? Remember that consistency is a big part of clay court tennis and tennis in general. If Szavay is more talented than Cornet it is by the slightest of margins. True, Szavay is more powerful, but technically speaking Cornet is better. Cornet has also gotten stronger in the past year. Szavay still has many flaws to fix before she can rightfully call herself a contender of a top 10 spot. I predict that both of these players will occupy the spots between 10-20 in the rankings for the years to come and not much will separate them as they evaluate their careers in 15 years or so.

Szavay won't occupy spots for a long time between 10-20,but Cornet might.
Szavay belongs to the Top 10.
Cornet is technically better?Dunno about that either.
An in-form Szavay is the favorite of this matchup,by a huge margin.If her serve collapses again, Cornet has a good chance to beat her...

Myggen
Apr 18th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Szavay won't occupy spots for a long time between 10-20,but Cornet might.
Szavay belongs to the Top 10.
Cornet is technically better?Dunno about that either.
An in-form Szavay is the favorite of this matchup,by a huge margin.If her serve collapses again, Cornet has a good chance to beat her...

You have probably seen Szavay more than me, but I saw her live a little bit more than 3 years ago in Acapulco. I didn't see anything special then and often when I see her I wonder how she did so well last year. Personally I believe she was overachieving last year and what she is doing now is her true level, but she might surprise me. But I will give her some credit, too :). She seems to have maybe the best mental capacity of the younger players coming up! If she can improve her forehand you might be right that she belongs in the top 10. Otherwise I see her fighting with the likes of Cornet, Azarenka and Wozniacki for the years to come.

sunsfuns
Apr 18th, 2008, 02:51 PM
You have probably seen Szavay more than me, but I saw her live a little bit more than 3 years ago in Acapulco. I didn't see anything special then and often when I see her I wonder how she did so well last year. Personally I believe she was overachieving last year and what she is doing now is her true level, but she might surprise me. But I will give her some credit, too :). She seems to have maybe the best mental capacity of the younger players coming up! If she can improve her forehand you might be right that she belongs in the top 10. Otherwise I see her fighting with the likes of Cornet, Azarenka and Wozniacki for the years to come.

She was only 16 at the time, I believe. Most players are not fully developed at that age...

Szavay, Cornet, Azarenka and Wozniacki all have top 10 potential. I am not saying they all will get there, but I would not be surprised with any of them accomplishing it and would be very surprised if none did...

Creideiki
Apr 18th, 2008, 07:11 PM
well said.

Sally Todd
Apr 18th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I'm a huge Agi fan but will say Alize isn't getting enough credit. She has some of the best clay results so far this year, and she's probably the most consistent of all the players her age. Remember she took Jankovic to three sets on hard courts at last year's USO. Alize has a very Chrissie-like game in some ways and we all now how Evert was on clay. It's a new much harder era of course, but consistency still counts for a lot on clay.

No doubt that Agi has the bigger game and higher ranking potential though. The fact that Agi does so well on clay when she hits a big ball says something about her all-around ability, which she's still only starting to realize in my view.

Agi's been playing a lot of doubles and doing great at it, even during her recent '08 singles struggles. That's going to keep her in good stead down the road on grass (where she could easily develop a Mauresmo like approach) and on faster hard courts. And the fact that Agi got to the final of the fastest surface of this year, in Paris, means she can even adapt her big forehand windup to speedy conditions. I'm not saying she's the second coming, but she has great potential. It's having to redo her serve that has curbed her progress a bit.

For other potential top 10ers, who do you think has a better chance: Cibulkova or Azarenka? I'd bet on the former.

Sally Todd
Apr 18th, 2008, 07:57 PM
One other thing...the winner of this match will likely have the opportunity to take on a very tired Big Name tomorrow.

In my book, Szavay has way more of a chance to do something with that opportunity.

joo.
Apr 18th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Alize in 3.

Shinjiro
Apr 18th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Will they show the match on Espn2 ?

attis765
Apr 18th, 2008, 08:15 PM
That is a good question...
I hope they do!