PDA

View Full Version : Which is your favourite Slam and why??

Lilowannabe
Apr 18th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Thought this would be an interesting discussion.

When I first became interested in tennis I saw all Slams as equal, I loved the different atmosphere and competion each slam brought- The upbeat Aussie Open, the elegance of Roland Garros, the tradition of Wimbledon, and the electricity of New York.

Of the four, my favourite slam has to be Wimbledon. To me, wimbledon has staged the most exciting matches on tour for the past 4 years (Venus vs Lindsay 05) and has a history unmatched by the others. My least favourite has to be the French. Mainly because too often the top seeded women are beaten early in the tournament, often leaving lesser experienced players to contest the quarters, semi's and resulting in boring matches. I also cant stand how hostile, and at times ignorant, the Parisian crowd can be.

So which is your fav slam, and which is your least. And why??

DownTheLine21
Apr 18th, 2008, 12:25 AM
My favorite is the US Open. If you've been there before, you'd know that there is nothing like the atmosphere of an Arthur Ashe night match.

pov
Apr 18th, 2008, 12:26 AM
My favorite is Wimbledon. Something about it - the respect for tradition and, in it's own way, elegance.

Golovinjured.
Apr 18th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Australian Open

It's oh so blue :hearts:

The players really like it aswell :)

IanRadi
Apr 18th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I love Roland Garros. The atmosphere is undescriptable!

beriadan
Apr 18th, 2008, 12:45 AM
1. US Open -- love the night matches.
2. Australian Open -- also love the night matches, and it is "blue".
3. Wimbledon -- always exciting, but the crowd seems kind of subdued, it can get boring.
4. French Open -- Parisian crowd :help: (need I say more) and it's soo slow.

Lunaris
Apr 18th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Find an old thread about this, there are many. Search button is always available.

kwilliams
Apr 18th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Wimbledon. It was the only tennis I would've seen at all seven or eight years ago so it was and is the tournament I'm most familiar with. I love the tradition, I love that it's that little bit more unique because it's on grass and there are only about 4 or 5 tournaments on grass at all. Obviously like everyone else I think the tradition is great but it would be more so the history and prestige that draws my attention. Also I'm a Williams fan so Wimbledon is good because it has been the venue for much of their biggest successes. The grass often gives us good quality and high octane matches too!

Optima
Apr 18th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Roland Garros. It's so classy, so tense, and so dramatic. I love clay, the Parisian crowd, and the overall elegance it has to it.

starin
Apr 18th, 2008, 12:57 AM
USO

mostly cuz i get really good coverage of this event and it's the fastest court of the slams. Plus the fans are really loud and get into matches.

Least Favorite: FO :o
There's like zero coverage of this slam except TTC which I don't have. Plus I don't really like wathching clay court tennis....especially's men's clay court tennis :o:o

Conor
Apr 18th, 2008, 01:01 AM
It keeps changing! Probably the French 'cause of all the good memories of Justine winning there and the crowd really gets into the matches, unlike all the bores at Wimbledon. However I grew up watching Wimbledon every summer and seen some great matches so... hard to choose between the 2. Then it would be the US Open, only 'cause I hate the new Aussie Open surface :mad:

Kworb
Apr 18th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Roland Garros, even though I can't remember the last time it was exciting :o

It's just the one tournament I look forward to the most, it doesn't matter that it keeps disappointing me. It's the tournament that got me into tennis back when Seles and Graf had their rivalry.

Bruno71
Apr 18th, 2008, 01:10 AM
1. Wimbledon - Always the one I watched growing up and now has that great online coverage.
2. Australian - There's just something about the 1st major of the year, when players are supposedly fresh and rarin' to go. Some classic matches, too. That didn't seem to happen this year much though.
3. US (tie) - Another one I watched growing up, the atmosphere is great.
3. French (tie) - A nice changeup to the other 3 in terms of the game and the favorites. I like to see the non-power players put on their own kind of show.

Golovinjured.
Apr 18th, 2008, 01:11 AM
1. Australian Open - Great coverage here in Australia, love the new surface/color, lots of Aussies in actions (thanks to WC's)
2. French Open - Love the red clay, the tennis is more interesting for me, plus it starts at 7PM over here, so we can watch a few hours begin we go to sleep.
3. Wimbledone - Starts at 9PM
4. US Open - Starts at 1AM :help:

Peterk07
Apr 18th, 2008, 01:13 AM
For me the most prestigious is Wimbledon. The "green" one. Tradition, elegance, everything. The number one. It's funny, that dispite being number one, there was a long period in my life (mainly Sampras years) when I didn't like Wimbledon matches. Serve/volley was never my favourite.

The most dramatic is always RG, the "red" one (the evil one :)). So mmany upsets, and great finals back in the 90's. This is the only GS that I already visited in person, and it was a great experience for me.

For very long time, AO had the best atmosphere. This is (was) the "yellow" (the sunny) tourny for me. I remember all those cold, snowy winter nights sitting in front of my TV holding a cup of hot chocolate in my hands, and watching those great players in those extremely hot conditions. I loved those nights. I have to say, since AO went indoors, it lost it's great atmoshphere for me.

USO? I don't know why, but it never came close to my heart. I barely even watched for many years. I'm starting to like it recently, but it's still no. 4 for me.

beriadan
Apr 18th, 2008, 01:14 AM
1. Australian Open - Great coverage here in Australia, love the new surface/color, lots of Aussies in actions (thanks to WC's)
2. French Open - Love the red clay, the tennis is more interesting for me, plus it starts at 7PM over here, so we can watch a few hours begin we go to sleep.

I was getting up at 3:30am to watch the AO this year, it seems like 1am is not soo bad.

DefyingGravity
Apr 18th, 2008, 01:14 AM
I love Roland Garros, partly because I have been such a good clay player even though I grew up on hard courts. The sliding, the fact that the crowd is very honest and open about how they feel, it's just so great. And a nice balance of upsets as well like last year (Safarova def. Mauresmo, Bartoli def. Dementieva, Ivanovic def. Kuznetsova) with expected wins (Henin def. anyone on clay...). It also challenges the players who have relied on power to go through their opponents struggle to find their own clay strategies (Sharapova, Serena, Venus). It's just a great combination.

I don't have a worst, but if I had to relegate a worst one...I'd have to say the U.S. Open (sad but true), only because it's more of a spectacle rather than playing tennis. The fans are usually liquored up, which helps atmosphere but can also hurt it (incoherent shouting during points). The night tennis is so famous, but the day sessions are drowned out by planes...

Uranium
Apr 18th, 2008, 01:16 AM
1. Wimbledon-i love the grass, i can't play on it, so it's fun watching others
2. Australian-love the atmosphere and used to love the courts, not so much now
3. USO-i've been to the night matches, not so great, especially when every year they show Roddick:o
4. French-fun, but can be REALLY boring

DownTheLine21
Apr 18th, 2008, 01:19 AM
I was getting up at 3:30am to watch the AO this year, it seems like 1am is not soo bad.

LOL! I couldn't agree more. I hated having to get up at 3:30 to watch the AO night matches.

Golovinjured.
Apr 18th, 2008, 01:38 AM
LOL! I couldn't agree more. I hated having to get up at 3:30 to watch the AO night matches.

Yeah but the DAY matches begin at 1AM..what time do the AO day matches begin over there?

I thought the Australian Open was the least liked of all of them but looking at the posts it doesn't look like it..

There's talk over here and in Asia that because Australian doesn't support Asian tennis enough (WTF) now they are contemplating starting their own tennis association (like the WTA and ATP) and then trying to be the home to the first grand slam of the year - and taking it from australia :tape:

Hope it doesn't happen - doubt it

DownTheLine21
Apr 18th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Yeah but the DAY matches begin at 1AM..what time do the AO day matches begin over there?

I thought the Australian Open was the least liked of all of them but looking at the posts it doesn't look like it..

There's talk over here and in Asia that because Australian doesn't support Asian tennis enough (WTF) now they are contemplating starting their own tennis association (like the WTA and ATP) and then trying to be the home to the first grand slam of the year - and taking it from australia :tape:

Hope it doesn't happen - doubt it

7 pm. Although we're in a similar boat for the French Open, when the day matches start at 5am.

Dan23
Apr 18th, 2008, 02:15 AM
AO because its easy for me to go to and the conditions are nice to watch tennis during the day and at night....and players I like tend to play well there :cool:

Ben.
Apr 18th, 2008, 02:27 AM
AO for sure!!! absolutely love the atmosphere :D

wild.river
Apr 18th, 2008, 02:33 AM
USO! but each has its own appeal for me...
1) AO- after a long drought, exciting beginning of season
2) RG- long drought, start of summer- my favourite time of year
3) Wimbledon- tradition!
4) USO- school starting, only good thing about end aug/beginning sept is the USO

Renalicious
Apr 18th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Urgh, it's very hard to pick. I love the atmospheres of US Open and Australian Open but the US Open times don't work for me...like I have to get up at 6am to watch a night match and I'm not doing that. :lol: And I have to wake up at like 2am to watch a day match. :o

The Australian Open times work for me when I'm on holidays. I'm out most of the day on holidays so I can't see the matches in the day. Although sometimes I actually go to the venue (but it's expensive) so despite me living in Australia, it's hard to catch the matches.

The French Open and Wimbledon have times that work well for me because my free time is at around 6pm-12am and that's where most of the matches work.

svetaisthebest
Apr 18th, 2008, 03:55 AM
My favourites are the AO and the French Open .I love RG because of the great atmosphere and claycourt matches and I love the AO because of the great coverage over here :D

My least favourite is probably the USO mainly because it is at such a bad time here :tape:

homogenius
Apr 18th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Miami

kiwifan
Apr 18th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Wimbledon.

I've never seen all slams as equal and Wimbledon is definitely the top dog. :cool:

Ksenia.
Apr 18th, 2008, 04:29 AM
1 Wimbledon - it has its very own traditions
2 US Open - i like its atmosphere, night matches
3 French Open - besides Henin, it often brings surprises
4 Australian Open - nothing special so far

svetaisthebest
Apr 18th, 2008, 04:30 AM

great list:p :worship:

waratahsrock
Apr 18th, 2008, 04:43 AM
My personal fav has to be the Australian Open. Had some great times being there over the last 4 years. Good surface too.

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 18th, 2008, 04:59 AM
The US Open. Because its the only one i can go to every year .:haha:

-VSR-
Apr 18th, 2008, 05:12 AM
US Open has the best atmosphere and crowd. :bowdown:

Wimbledon is the most elgant and provides great tennis! :yeah:

Australian Open, also, has a great atmosphere and I like the new blue.

Roland Garros, I have never really gotten into it because of Vee/Rena never making it past the quarters (since '04). This year. ;)

Chunchun
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:31 AM
My fav slam would be RG actually, but since matches there are always crap, I'll switch to Wimby :o

hayleytrotter
Apr 18th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Australian Open.

1 - I live in Sydney, so i go there every year for the full two weeks
2 - I really like Melbourne.
3 - I stay at the Crowne plaza (where lots of players stay) and you can do a LOT of player stalking :p Haha. This year i Saw Maria, Tracy Austin, Jim Courier and Andy Roddick in the hotel.

However, I like watching the US open. I go to New York every year but never around US open time... Should work on that!

Im going to wimbledon this year though, so that could become a favourite ;)

Wayn77
Apr 18th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I guess (when the rain holds off) it is Wimbledon again.

Since the slowed the courts down the tennis is more interesting, longer rally's - the big first-serve less dominant. I usually go for a couple of days, still a magical place to walk around even if you don't get on Centre Court. Brilliant BBC Wimbledon coverage is unrivalled for any major sporting event on the planet... 5 court coverage simultaneous: live all day - every day, no interruptions, no ad breaks and Sue Barker :hearts:

I love all the Slams - great crowds, great atmoshere, night matches. :cool:

blackcrave
Apr 18th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Wimbledon...maybe because its grass..hehehee

Mynarco
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:00 AM
wimbledon
it's the only tennis final match that i can see at tv

Cat123
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Wimbledon. I live half an hour away :cool:

Harvs
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:18 AM
aussie:) cause i go

Mina Vagante
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Wimbledon, We get sooo much coverage and it completly takes over TV :lol:

I actually like the French Open, the crowd is freaking annoying though:o

Australian Open is cool.Don't like coverage starts at like midnight here, but oh well can't change it. :p

I like US open aswell. I love the camera angle of the courts and i love the crowd.

But being English, my favourite is Wimbledon :)

Lindsayfan32
Apr 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM
My favourite slam is the Aussie open not only I am Australian but I lived an hours train ride from Melbourne park and went for 10 days straight for five years between 1995 - 1999 and some of earliest memories of Lindsay's career were from watching her play there. The only thing I was bummed about was when she won the Aussie open 2000 I couldn't see it live at Melbourne park. I watched it in a pub just down from where I live in the middle of country Victoria in a place called Laceselles.

Princess Fiona
Apr 18th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I've been to Wimbledon (and I'm going this year, yay! :bounce: ) - it's such a special place (I couldn't believe I was there the first time, and I still can't really believe it when I am there - I remember pinching myself to check I wasn't dreaming, etc... ). Wimbledon is a big highlight of the year for me, and the TV coverage is fantastic - the only 'down' for Wimbledon with me is that I'm not a fan of some of their 'traditions' (and the rain!) (but I won't write about that now - positivity please ;) ).

I've loved the US Open since I started getting into tennis - I just love the atmosphere of the night matches, and some of my all-time favourite matches have been played at Flushing Meadows.

The Oz Open isn't on at such a good time for me over here (and I can't seem to stay awake for so long these days, tsss) but it's a tournament I really enjoy and would love to visit one day.

I'd love to visit Roland Garros too (I'd love to visit all of the Slams, and all of the tournaments... ;) ) - I'm not always such a clay court fan (think waiting five hours for a match to finish so I can see another match - I hate having my low attention span, grrr) but it's a Slam I also really enjoy.

So, my answer? Wimbledon/US Open, I guess... [/babble] ;)