PDA

View Full Version : Whose career is better? Venus Williams or Maria Sharapova?

tennisbear7
Apr 17th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Discuss everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love satire.

goldenlox
Apr 17th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Ask again in 10 years.

Adal
Apr 17th, 2008, 11:39 AM
WOOOOOOW so funny :tape:

liuxuan
Apr 17th, 2008, 12:26 PM
dont waste my time!

Shimizu Amon
Apr 17th, 2008, 12:28 PM
:tape:.

Dave.
Apr 17th, 2008, 12:30 PM
What is with all these threads?? Are you trying to belittle Maria's achievements by comparing her to Venus cos that's just sad.

vadin124
Apr 17th, 2008, 12:37 PM
well Maria has achieved more than Venus had achieved before her 21st birthday (3 Grand Slams to Venus' 2, 6 tier 1's to Venus' 5 and 19 titles to Venus' 17...also Maria's best year-end rank is No.2, whilst Venus' was No.3 before her 21st

the only thing Venus beats Maria on by achieving before her 21st is Olympic glory!

sorry Vee...but it had to be done! still love you

LH2HBH
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Depends on your basis for comparison.

If we are looking strictly at titles and weeks at #1 then I think Maria will come out on top.

However, Venus spent a lot of time at #2 and #3 during the time of a dominant world #1 so maybe we need to include runner-ups and weeks at #2 and #3. Then maybe Venus would look better.

Russianboy
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:14 PM
What is with all these threads?? Are you trying to belittle Maria's achievements by comparing her to Venus cos that's just sad.

maria's career just began. she is 20 and venus 27? so :wavey: and ;)

bellascarlett
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:16 PM
:zzz:

As GL said, ask again in a few years. The difference in this situation is that...in a few years, Maria has a chance...:lol: With 3 slams under her belt at 20, she's on the right track. Good health is what's most important now.

SOA_MC
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:22 PM
WOOOOOOW so funny :tape:

Where's your sense of humor?:wavey:

beriadan
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Maria's won the YEC and Venus hasn't, I think Maria is destined for a better career than Venus.

Natalicious
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:50 PM
stupid time to compare

SAEKeithSerena
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:00 PM
venus'. but probably in ten years, maria.

Matt01
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Maria's won the YEC and Venus hasn't, I think Maria is destined for a better career than Venus.

If you had replaced the YEC with the Australian Open in your post, the post would have been more valid.

Thieving Magpie
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:19 PM
venus'. but probably in ten years, maria.

I honestly don't think she'll play that long. She already is the richest female athlete on the planet and one day she will probably wake up and say "YOU KNOW, let's do something different. I had enough tennis already, YOU KNOW."

beriadan
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:25 PM
If you had replaced the YEC with the Australian Open in your post, the post would have been more valid.

Well I see where you are coming from, but I still stand by my opinion. Also, the fact that Maria has one three different slams, and Venus only 2 of the four, multiple times, makes Maria a bit more versatile, because the AO is slower surface that USO.

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Dumb now. Smart later.

I don't see anybody on the horizon with the tools or the will to stand against Sharapova. The post Williams future belongs to her.

Tennisstar86
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:38 PM

Venus clearly doesnt care about the YEC... shes only played them twice and shes qualified on several occasions.... YEC just arent as big a deal as they try to make themselves appear to be... much like Miami....

well Maria has achieved more than Venus had achieved before her 21st birthday (3 Grand Slams to Venus' 2, 6 tier 1's to Venus' 5 and 19 titles to Venus' 17...also Maria's best year-end rank is No.2, whilst Venus' was No.3 before her 21st

the only thing Venus beats Maria on by achieving before her 21st is Olympic glory!

Are we talking career? cause clearly Venus has a better career at the moment... and even back then she did also... Everyone seems to forget doubles... which Maria has none......

anyways if we're gonna compare singles careers lets wait till both are over as venus still has a few years left on tour and Sharapova still has some years left on tour...

Adal
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Where's your sense of humor?:wavey:
The place where it should be. :angel:

Andrew Laeddis
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Well I see where you are coming from, but I still stand by my opinion. Also, the fact that Maria has one three different slams, and Venus only 2 of the four, multiple times, makes Maria a bit more versatile, because the AO is slower surface that USO.

Mauresmo won YEC so that means nothing. It's also possible that Maria in her entire career may not ever reach a RG final where as Venus has reached the final at all 4 slams. Right not Venus obviously has the better career but Sharapova has a good shot at winning more than Venus at the end of both their careers. However I dont see anyone of this newer generation winning more than ten slam. It just doesnt happen anymore. The only players who have a shot at reaching 10 is serena, justine and maybe venus is she can get her act together.

Tennisstar86
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I honestly don't think she'll play that long. She already is the richest female athlete on the planet and one day she will probably wake up and say "YOU KNOW, let's do something different. I had enough tennis already, YOU KNOW."

maria has stated she plans on retiring at 25 like clijsters; however i think it'll depend on a couple things... if shes winning alot of GS (probable, but not set in stone) she'll prolly keep playing to break records, but if shes say winning a grand slam ever 2-3 years like her current form she'd prolly move on to something else..

V's a star
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:50 PM
this shit shud b shut DOWN not even comparable

goldenlox
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:53 PM
maria has stated she plans on retiring at 25 like clijsters; however i think it'll depend on a couple things... if shes winning alot of GS (probable, but not set in stone) she'll prolly keep playing to break records, but if shes say winning a grand slam ever 2-3 years like her current form she'd prolly move on to something else..Maria's current form is winning the AO after having a shoulder problem in 2007 and winning the USO in 2006.
That's 2 of the last 6 majors. If she keeps that up she'll have 4 more in 3 years, 7 at age 23.

jonny84
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Let's bump up this thread when the last player retires and discuss ;)

spencercarlos
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Venus clearly doesnt care about the YEC... shes only played them twice and shes qualified on several occasions.... YEC just arent as big a deal as they try to make themselves appear to be... much like Miami....

The fact that Venus (and Serena) does not do well/does not show up or does not care much about the YEC does not mean it´s an irrelevant event, when in fact it´s the only tournament in the world where you HAVE to FACE high ranked oponnents in each round.
Wonder why overrated players like Conchita Martinez and Amanda Coetzer (who always had troubles to beat high ranked oponnents) did nothing at the YECs.

spencercarlos
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Ops as for the thread, the discussion is ridiculous at this point, and Maria is far from being a dominating player in a grand slam like Venus has been for Wimbledon, it will take her years to match something like that.

Olórin
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Dumb now. Smart later.

I don't see anybody on the horizon with the tools or the will to stand against Sharapova. The post Williams future belongs to her.

It's been the post Williams era since 2003. :shrug: This is Sharapova's heyday, her prime is now.

Olórin
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:37 PM

So because Venus hasn't won the AO she isn't as versatile? I don't buy into that logic whatsoever. If anything Venus is more versatile because she's got to the final of all four slams consecutively. But they are both fast court players really, and the surface of the AO isn't that different to the surface of the US Open. US Open seems to have slowed a little bit and the AO keeps getting quicker.

Tennisstar86
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Maria's current form is winning the AO after having a shoulder problem in 2007 and winning the USO in 2006.
That's 2 of the last 6 majors. If she keeps that up she'll have 4 more in 3 years, 7 at age 23.

Maria's current form is shes wins a Grand slam ever 2 years...
03-04 1 slam 05-06 1 slam 07-08 1 slam (so far)

If she keeps that pace at 23 she'll have 4 slams...

anyways Maria hasnt been dominant no where near what venus was summer of 00 and 01. Maria could go on to win a ton more slams or she could stop at 3... Noone expected 99 Ao to be Davneports last slam... noone expect after venus won US Open 01 itd take her 4 and a half years to get her 5th.....no one expect after Amelie dominated 06 she'd be struggling to win matches the next year. You just never no, and the fact that Maria had a shoulder issue "all" (She didnt, but deluded fans like to claim she did) of 2007 after a great performance in the US open 06' you'd think the more crazy of her fans would realize this.

But clearly YOU dont.

Tennisstar86
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:34 PM
So because Venus hasn't won the AO she isn't as versatile? I don't buy into that logic whatsoever. If anything Venus is more versatile because she's got to the final of all four slams consecutively. But they are both fast court players really, and the surface of the AO isn't that different to the surface of the US Open. US Open seems to have slowed a little bit and the AO keeps getting quicker.

lol i think its interesting that people forget that the AO's surface is pretty much the Us Open surface now (the year Maria won it....) this "slow surface B.S. lol

goldenlox
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:35 PM
She's 20. Saying she wins every 2 or 3 years means you count when she's 14.
Maria is a 20 year old who just played her best major, not losing a set.

Emina.
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Right now:Venus.
In the future: we'll see.

Kipling
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:41 PM
maria has stated she plans on retiring at 25 like clijsters; however i think it'll depend on a couple things... if shes winning alot of GS (probable, but not set in stone) she'll prolly keep playing to break records, but if shes say winning a grand slam ever 2-3 years like her current form she'd prolly move on to something else..

I think it's actually the reverse. It isn't fun waking up with a sore shoulder every day--I can tell you that from personal experience. I honestly think she's putting so much into trying to win a career slam because, maybe, in the back of her mind, this could be her last year of tennis. I sincerely hope it isn't, but it wouldn't surprise me, because I've never heard her talk about piling up slams or going for records. She has more money than she could possibly spend, is reasonably healthy, and she could go out in a blaze of glory, which is how we'd all love o be remembered. I think it's possible. Maybe not likely, but possible.

bellascarlett
Apr 17th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I think it's actually the reverse. It isn't fun waking up with a sore shoulder every day--I can tell you that from personal experience. I honestly think she's putting so much into trying to win a career slam because, maybe, in the back of her mind, this could be her last year of tennis. I sincerely hope it isn't, but it wouldn't surprise me, because I've never heard her talk about piling up slams or going for records. She has more money than she could possibly spend, is reasonably healthy, and she could go out in a blaze of glory, which is how we'd all love o be remembered. I think it's possible. Maybe not likely, but possible.

You're scaring me. :o I think she just simply wants to do better than she's done in the past in the French. Last year she got to the semis without any real preparation and without a serve. She knows she's got a chance and only way would be if she invests herself heavily in the clay court season. She always talks about how much she still has to improve and wants to improve as a player. The AO this year showed her what she is capable of and what the future can bring for her. And I think she's just beginning to accept what she can do on the tour. She can dominate on all other surfaces except clay. She's too proud to let go of one surface without giving herself a real shot at doing well on it. She's said herself that she's far from her best she knows she's capable of. That's not something you say when you're thinking of retiring (but I understand some things are out of one's control). I really really hope and pray you are wrong. That's just a disturbing thought.

Kipling
Apr 17th, 2008, 06:09 PM
You're scaring me. :o I think she just simply wants to do better than she's done in the past in the French. Last year she got to the semis without any real preparation and without a serve. She knows she's got a chance and only way would be if she invests herself heavily in the clay court season. She always talks about how much she still has to improve and wants to improve as a player. The AO this year showed her what she is capable of and what the future can bring for her. And I think she's just beginning to accept what she can do on the tour. She can dominate on all other surfaces except clay. She's too proud to let go of one surface without giving herself a real shot at doing well on it. She's said herself that she's far from her best she knows she's capable of. That's not something you say when you're thinking of retiring. I really really hope and pray you are wrong. That's just a disturbing thought.

It is, but it's just a hunch. I don't have anything to back it up other than that Maria's financially secure and could--at 21--have all 4 majors in the bag. If I was young, wealthy, beautiful, popular, and as in demand as she is, I'd be tempted to get on with other things life.

But maybe that's just me.

It's probably just my imagination.

bellascarlett
Apr 17th, 2008, 06:17 PM
It is, but it's just a hunch. I don't have anything to back it up other than that Maria's financially secure and could--at 21--have all 4 majors in the bag. If I was young, wealthy, beautiful, popular, and as in demand as she is, I'd be tempted to get on with other things life.

It's probably just my imagination.

Let's hope it's just your imagination then and Maria is as ambitious and competitive as I think she is.

Mikey B
Apr 17th, 2008, 06:18 PM
lol i think its interesting that people forget that the AO's surface is pretty much the Us Open surface now (the year Maria won it....) this "slow surface B.S. lol

yeh but i dont think that should discredit maria's win at the aussie open... she had match points in the 05 semi, lost in 3 sets in the 06 semi, lost in the 07 final and won it in 08... its not like all of a sudden the court suits her game and she had a good run at the AO, she's consistently been a contender for the last 4 years.. say if they changed the surface of the french and all of a sudden maria's winning the title easily then that would be definatley to do with the surface! lol!

Tennisstar86
Apr 17th, 2008, 06:24 PM
yeh but i dont think that should discredit maria's win at the aussie open... she had match points in the 05 semi, lost in 3 sets in the 06 semi, lost in the 07 final and won it in 08... its not like all of a sudden the court suits her game and she had a good run at the AO, she's consistently been a contender for the last 4 years.. say if they changed the surface of the french and all of a sudden maria's winning the title easily then that would be definatley to do with the surface! lol!

Oh, no lol i was just referring to the poster saying Maria is versatile was she won on the slow AO surface, while venus didnt, which isnt the case they both made the final on the "slow Ao surface" and lost to the same player no less...(venus faired a little bit better though...

Mikey B
Apr 17th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Oh, no lol i was just referring to the poster saying Maria is versatile was she won on the slow AO surface, while venus didnt, which isnt the case they both made the final on the "slow Ao surface" and lost to the same player no less...(venus faired a little bit better though...

oh ok.. i sorta jumped in only knowing half the discussion! my bad... lol!

goldenlox
Apr 17th, 2008, 06:30 PM

It's probably just my imagination.I think it's realistic. Especially if she has another serious injury.
I think she won't be like Austin, unless it's a really bad injury.

Kipling
Apr 17th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I think it's realistic. Especially if she has another serious injury.
I think she won't be like Austin, unless it's a really bad injury.

Hopefully not. She seems to have a good team around her.

DA FOREHAND
Apr 17th, 2008, 07:22 PM
VENUS WILLIAMS at this point

Tamus
Apr 17th, 2008, 08:14 PM

Are we talking career? cause clearly Venus has a better career at the moment... and even back then she did also... Everyone seems to forget doubles... which Maria has none......

anyways if we're gonna compare singles careers lets wait till both are over as venus still has a few years left on tour and Sharapova still has some years left on tour...

You dismiss the YEC because Venus doesn't care about it and then bring up doubles. :tape:

starin
Apr 17th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Venus Williams
but Venus is clearly on her way down. Struggling w/ health and overall not able to play her best tennis outside of Wimbledon on odd years when she has a chance to become the lowest seeded player to win Wimbledon.

In the future: who knows Sharapvoa might never win a slam again. She's been pretty lucky health wise. I know she's missed some time w/ injury but she hasn't been injured enough to miss a single slam so far. But then again Sharapova might become the next steffi graf. If she wins RG this year or next I would def. rank her above Venus even if she only had 4 slams. That is if Venus doesn't win anymore slam which is looking more likely so far this season:crying2::hysteric:

beriadan
Apr 17th, 2008, 08:22 PM
You dismiss the YEC because Venus doesn't care about it and then bring up doubles. :tape:

:cool:

AcesHigh
Apr 17th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Well.. neither career is over. Sharapova could win Wimbledon and USO and be one slam win away from Venus. Or Venus could win Wimby and USO and would be 5 away from Sharapova.

The weird thing is that it's not like Venus is on the brink of retirement. She might be around for another 4 years. Yet either one could have major surgery or health problems and retire this year.

A better comparison is Venus-Henin-Hingis or Sharapova-Capriat or someone with 4 slams.

Tennisstar86
Apr 17th, 2008, 08:49 PM

I didnt dismiss the YEC..... but clearly the tournament isnt on the same scale as a grand slam... its just another title.....

beriadan
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I didnt dismiss the YEC..... but clearly the tournament isnt on the same scale as a grand slam... its just another title.....

So basically you're saying that it's better to win a grand slam doubles title than the YEC? I think most people would go for the YEC, because a. the YEC is worth a lot more money, and b. doubles players hardly get any recognition.

Dodoboy.
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:05 PM
After the WS are gone (hopefully 20 years time ;) ) The world will be her oyster. :D

Tamus
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:07 PM

I just found it a little strange how when Maria's YEC was brought up you pointed out that Venus doesn't care about the YEC, and then in the next breath you point out that Maria hasn't done anything in doubles (as if she cares about doubles :rolleyes:.)

Dodoboy.
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Well.. neither career is over. Sharapova could win Wimbledon and USO and be one slam win away from Venus. Or Venus could win Wimby and USO and would be 5 away from Sharapova.

The weird thing is that it's not like Venus is on the brink of retirement. She might be around for another 4 years. Yet either one could have major surgery or health problems and retire this year.

A better comparison is Venus-Henin-Hingis or Sharapova-Capriat or someone with 4 slams.

That's a fair comparison! Definitely.

Tamus
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I just found it a little strange how when Maria's YEC was brought up you pointed out that Venus doesn't care about the YEC, and then in the next breath you point out that Maria hasn't done anything in doubles (as if she cares about doubles :rolleyes:.)

btw, the YEC may not be as big as a slam, but it isn't just another title because Venus doesn't care about it.

Olórin
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:14 PM
So basically you're saying that it's better to win a grand slam doubles title than the YEC? I think most people would go for the YEC, because a. the YEC is worth a lot more money, and b. doubles players hardly get any recognition.

Venus and Serena do.

Doubles players don't get any recognition because these days doubles players aren't top singles players as well.

However when you're ranking the careers of the greats and you're comparing doubles players like Martina Navratilova and Margaret Court, believe me those doubles players do get recognition. It is clearly a bonus for Serena and Venus when you're measuring up their careers that they have put efforts into doubles as well as singles, like Navratilova, King etc.

goldenlox
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:18 PM
After the WS are gone (hopefully 20 years time ;) ) The world will be her oyster. :DOver the last 5 years Justine has won more majors than both Williams combined.

Kipling
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Over the last 5 years Justine has won more majors than both Williams combined.

And from the time Maria emerged on the world stage, she's got more majors than either sister. That's one they ignore all the time.

Helen Lawson
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Two talented ladies with a lot on their resumes, but it's pretty tough not to go with Venus at the moment.

beriadan
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Venus and Serena do.

Doubles players don't get any recognition because these days doubles players aren't top singles players as well.

However when you're ranking the careers of the greats and you're comparing doubles players like Martina Navratilova and Margaret Court, believe me those doubles players do get recognition. It is clearly a bonus for Serena and Venus when you're measuring up their careers that they have put efforts into doubles as well as singles, like Navratilova, King etc.

How much attention would they get if they weren't also legendary singles players?

AcesHigh
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:23 PM
And from the time Maria emerged on the world stage, she's got more majors than either sister. That's one they ignore all the time.

In the last 4 years, Venus, Serena and Maria all have the same number of slams.. so what's your point? :weirdo: goldielox and his ridiculous stats.

Olórin
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:24 PM

Well it's hardly surprising, lot's of things changed after 2003. Those injuries changed the face of women's tennis forever, drastically. The Williams sisters had played 6 of the last 8 major finals before their injury hiatus. Lots of players were able to benefit from their absences and their erratic play when they returned.

goldenlox
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Stats are very clear. Since Maria has been 15, Justine has been the best player on the tour.
She won 7 of the last 20.

Olórin
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:28 PM
How much attention would they get if they weren't also legendary singles players?

You do realise that is neither here nor there. What's important is that a good proportion of the greats have been amazing doubles players too; which is why in comparing the careers of the greats it has become customary to measure up their doubles resumes as well. Things are so subjective, additional objective criteria is very useful. I don't think you can penalise players who choose not to do doubles; but you can however count it in favour of those who do make the effort. It clearly makes them more rounded tennis players. Not simply singles players.

Olórin
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Stats are very clear. Since Maria has been 15, Justine has been the best player on the tour.

Except that Justine has only knocked her out of two majors...ever!

Justine is her only competion and she still hasn't managed to dominate or even come remotely close, in her four years as a top five player, other than for 6 weeks in 2006.

goldenlox
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Justine is the player who's won the majors during Maria's career. The 2006 USO was a big hurdle, so was the 2008 AO.

Olórin
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Justine is the player who's won the majors during Maria's career. The 2006 USO was a big hurdle, so was the 2008 AO.

So the next hurdle will come at the 2010 FO? Good luck to Maria for that :yeah:

goldenlox
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Maria might get injured and miss the 2010 FO.
She had better focus on 3 majors left this year, and Beijing.

Tennisstar86
Apr 17th, 2008, 10:23 PM

Except the major she wants the most (Wimbledon) Venus has been the one to destroy her there....

GrafMariaPetraK
Apr 17th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Venus for now but hopefully Maria will win many more titles and the olympics:)

starin
Apr 17th, 2008, 10:56 PM

Sharapova turned 15 on April 19, 2002.

Serena has won 7 slams and the career slam since April 19, 2002.

u were saying something about the stats being very clear?

and as for her career. Sharapova turned pro in 2001 and played her first full year on tour in 2002. And once again since then Serena has won 7 slams and the career slam. So you were saying something about Justine being the best player during Sharapova's career?

goldenlox
Apr 17th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Maria is 21 this weekend.
5 years ago she was 15, about to turn 16, and playing 25k's.
Justine has been by far the best player thruout Maria's WTA career.

Tamus
Apr 17th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Sharapova turned 15 on April 19, 2002.

Serena has won 7 slams and the career slam since April 19, 2002.

u were saying something about the stats being very clear?

and as for her career. Sharapova turned pro in 2001 and played her first full year on tour in 2002. And once again since then Serena has won 7 slams and the career slam. So you were saying something about Justine being the best player during Sharapova's career?

Sharapova competed in zero slams in 2002 and played in a total of 3 WTA tour matches that year. So I'm not sure what you mean by "on tour", but it clearly can't be the WTA tour.

Tennisstar86
Apr 17th, 2008, 11:17 PM
How did Justine get brought into this? :Confused: anyways.... throughout Maria's career, yes 2002 counts just like Venus is officially used as 94 as her start in stats etc.... so no most dominant player during Maria's career = Serena.... Most consistent = Justine

But again why is justine in this conversation?

tennisbear7
Apr 17th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Why has everybody taken this thread seriously? Gosh LOL

goldenlox
Apr 17th, 2008, 11:28 PM
We're just having some fun.

rjd1111
Apr 17th, 2008, 11:38 PM

No one said anything about 21 years old. It said Career.

If you want to talk about before 21 compare her to Hingis.

tennisbear7
Apr 17th, 2008, 11:55 PM
No one said anything about 21 years old. It said Career.

If you want to talk about before 21 compare her to Hingis.

:help: But everybody's career (save a few) at 21 looks bad compared to Hingis by age 21.

DONGMEI
Apr 18th, 2008, 02:52 AM
is there a comparison? venus for sure.

Cakeisgood
Apr 18th, 2008, 04:29 AM

ahahahahhahaha. She needs to cut those down doesn't she?

rjd1111
Apr 18th, 2008, 04:35 AM

Pova is not the richest female athlete on the planet.

She is not even the richest female tennis player.

cnelson575
Apr 18th, 2008, 04:39 AM
You cant compare one has had a much longer career, you have to wait until there both done to give a fair debate

rjd1111
Apr 18th, 2008, 04:43 AM
The fact that Venus (and Serena) does not do well/does not show up or does not care much about the YEC does not mean it´s an irrelevant event, when in fact it´s the only tournament in the world where you HAVE to FACE high ranked oponnents in each round.
Wonder why overrated players like Conchita Martinez and Amanda Coetzer (who always had troubles to beat high ranked oponnents) did nothing at the YECs.

It is not as relevant as you think. Just ask Venus,

Maria, Henin and all the other top players who have

lost early in a major or other big event to players

ranked outside the top 20.

rjd1111
Apr 18th, 2008, 05:05 AM

Obviously Maria doesn't care about doubles since

she doesn't play them. But a doubles GS title is

nothing to scoff at. Especially if you're playing

singles in the same event too. It shows something

when a player can reach the finals or win a GS

and win the doubles too vs playing a lot of Cupcake

draws and going deep in a GS only.

rjd1111
Apr 18th, 2008, 05:12 AM
In the last 4 years, Venus, Serena and Maria all have the same number of slams.. so what's your point? :weirdo: goldielox and his ridiculous stats.

And the Sisters have several in the bank.

jujufreak
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Venus' career of course...

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 18th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Maria's current form is winning the AO after having a shoulder problem in 2007 and winning the USO in 2006.

you keep this reasoning up...can you calculate how hingis was going to win her slams and how much she was going to end up with?

Sam L
Apr 18th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Four-time Wimbledon Champion against one-time champion.

Two-time US Open champion against one-time champion.

French Open finalist against French Open semifinalist.

Maria has the Australian Open. That's the only edge she has over Venus.

Obvious Venus.

tennisbear7
Apr 18th, 2008, 05:29 PM
This Was A Joke Thread, Just To Reiterate.

Dave.
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:18 PM

The fact that Sharapova hasen't done anything in doubles means she can't really be compared as a tennis player with any of the others mentioned (Serena, Venus, Davenport, Hingis etc.) unless she wins a ridiculous amount of singles titles. Her achievements are limited to singles only.

Venus and Serena do.

They don't get recognition by the media and other fans, which is a shame. But the likes of Lisa Raymond, Virginia Ruano-Pascual, Paola Suarez (and others) are all-time greats because of the great amount they achieved in doubles. Whether that is recognised by some people or not doesn't mean it's not true.

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:19 PM
at the moment - venus 100%

youizahoe
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Venus can split her carreer in two, and it's still equaling maria hers :)

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:20 PM
The fact that Sharapova hasen't done anything in doubles means she can't really be compared as a tennis player with any of the others mentioned (Serena, Venus, Davenport, Hingis etc.) unless she wins a ridiculous amount of singles titles. Her achievements are limited to singles only.

They don't get recognition by the media and other fans, which is a shame. But the likes of Lisa Raymond, Virginia Ruano-Pascual, Paola Suarez (and others) are all-time greats because of the great amount they achieved in doubles. Whether that is recognised by some people or not doesn't mean it's not true.

:worship::worship::worship: