PDA

View Full Version : Who has the better backhand? Justine, Serena or Jelena?

Renalicious
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:37 AM
As the title says...all have good backhands...Justine and Serena of course are supported by other good shots like the fh and serve, but Jelena mainly relies on this shot, especially the bh DTL.

If I had to rank them, it'd be

1. Jelena
2. Serena
3. Justine

Jelena has a very smooth motion and can hit it anywhere, she has awesome control.

Serena and Justine's are more explosive and more prone to error, but are still very good.

Renalicious
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:37 AM
I didn't post a poll...ohwell.

Slutati
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Justine:shrug:

Dunlop1
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:46 AM
For me, easily Justine.
The technique on her backhand is just ROCK-SOLID. Aesthetically, it looks amazing. Her preparation is stellar and she times the ball so well (paramount with a 1 handed backhand) and she does a great job of really extending through the shot.

Jelena's backhand is really good but I have a problem with the grip of her right hand. She makes the necessary adjustment to compensate for having a forehand grip on that hand but for me it detracts from the stroke. It makes her body rotation a bit forced at times. However she steps into the ball really well and times it well too.

Serena's backhand I don't really like. The technique is very simple with a straight take back and forward swing, but her footwork for the shot in the back court can be lazy. She doesn't step in nearly enough (when she has time to do so).

For me it's Justine, Serena, Jelena.

Expat
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:27 AM
justine serena jelena

justine backhand is rock solid

Tennisstar86
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Serena....but Im not a fan of the one hander.... so im partial...

Optima
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Justine has excellent technique, but her forehand is the better side, imo.

hingisGOAT
Apr 17th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Jelena has an awesome backhand. Serena has a great backhand but it doesn't impress me nearly as much as Jelena's.

Justine's backhand is not and has never been anything extraordinary. It is pretty, yes, and capable defensively, yes, and overall is an excellent shot, good for putaways even. But she simply does not pin opponents with her backhand the way the other greats of this generation (Williamsx2, Hingis, Lindsay, Sharapova) are able to. I would put her backhand about even with Serena's.

So Disrespectful
Apr 17th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I don't know why Jelena's backhand is so overlooked. For me it's stronger/more consistent than Serena's and on par with Justine's. If you look at the rest of her game, her forehand is good but not great and her serve is just average. Of course she's awfully quick, but I also believe that her backhand plays a huge part in her success. She hits a lot of winners off that side and keeps her unforced errors down.

For me: Justine/Jelena and then Serena

powerbackhand
Apr 17th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Jelena has an awesome backhand. Serena has a great backhand but it doesn't impress me nearly as much as Jelena's.

Justine's backhand is not and has never been anything extraordinary. It is pretty, yes, and capable defensively, yes, and overall is an excellent shot, good for putaways even. But she simply does not pin opponents with her backhand the way the other greats of this generation (Williamsx2, Hingis, Lindsay, Sharapova) are able to. I would put her backhand about even with Serena's.

in all fairness but i think justine is able to pin her opponents to the back of the court far better than hingis. hingis had a very good backhand but it didnt have the ferocity to pin people to back of court

blackcrave
Apr 17th, 2008, 07:46 AM
justine i think

HenryMag.
Apr 17th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Justine - best single-handed BH
Jelena - best double-handed BH

But I think Justine has the best BH overall.

Shinjiro
Apr 17th, 2008, 07:58 AM
right now I'd say JJ

Sir Stefwhit
Apr 17th, 2008, 08:47 AM
The best way to answer this question is to better define 'backhand' because all three players use their backhands quite differently.

Cross-court backhand: Hands down SERENA, no question about. As an offensive weapon it's probably her next biggest weapon right after her Serve and crosscourt forehand.

Backhand down the line: Jankovic, her best shot in her arsenal.

Most Variety w/the backhand: Justine (slice, drop-shot, lob, angles)

Backhand approach shot: Justine

Backhand Volley: Justine

Backhand return (of serve): Serena

Backhand slice: Justine, although Serena's slice is underrated. Still Justine uses this shot most effectively and consistently of the three.

Best inside-out backhand: Not the most common of shots, but Serena uses this shot the most effectively. When she uses this shot she's usually changing the direction of the ball and going for a winner- deadly shot!

Best use of backhand to open up the court and hit a forehand winner: Justine is the queen of this tactic. She gets those great angle then hits the big forehand to end the point. It's her best one-two punch.

Best at changing the direction of the ball on the backhand side: Jankovic

Most consistent backhand: Jankovic

serena_fan
Apr 17th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Serena :)

Dodoboy.
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I can't remember :scratch:

Expat
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:42 PM
justine serena jelena

justine backhand is rock solid
can someone tell me what was offensive in this post to deserve a bad rep :confused:
Thread Date Posted By Comment
Who has the better... Apr 17th, 2008 09:33 AM CosmicDefender idiot

DA FOREHAND
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:52 PM
JJ has to more consistant stroke
Serena has the more overpowering stroke
Justine has more variety.

Power goes to Serena
Accuracy goes to JJ
Justine's can be overpowered

prima donna
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:55 PM
How about this backhand http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXimh66Emqc

pov
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I think Henin has the best backhand in the WTA. If one equates best with "hardest hit" then no but the speed of her backhand is only marginally lower than Serena Williams. Add in the variety of shots and angles she is capable of hitting and I think she takes it hands down (or backhands up)

SAEKeithSerena
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:58 PM
wow...gonna have to go with Serena on this one. especially after a backhand return (of serve). justine is so close though.

pov
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:06 PM
The chosen response on Yahoo! Answers
-------------

1. Justine Henin
2. Venus Williams
3. Maria Sharapova
4. Serena Williams
5. Amelie Mauresmo
6. Jelena Jankovic
7. Nichole Vaidisova
8. Ana Ivanovic
9. Svetlana Kusnetsova
10. Nadia Petrova

You forgot about Lindsay Davenport. She also has a great backhand and I would probably have ranked her in the middle of this list (maybe right below Serena). Lindsay has the best combined groundstrokes off both wings.

Justine Henin has the best backhand overall combining power, consistency, variety and style.

Venus Williams actually hits the hardest backhand on the tour (all of her strokes are hardest hit) but doesn't have the same control or consistency.

Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams are pretty close to a tie in the backhand department. For both of them it's the stronger wing. I'd say Serena's is slightly more powerful with Sharapova's being a little bit more consistent.

Amelie Mauresmo also has a very clean and stylish one handed backhand with lots of variety but not nearly as much power as some of the others mentioned.

Andrew Laeddis
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Sharapova. Its accurate, reliable, and powerful. the rotation on her bh is just :drool: Venus before the wrist surgery had a great bh but its no longer a great shot.

kwilliams
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Serena
Henin
Jankovic

Andrew Laeddis
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:12 PM
The chosen response on Yahoo! Answers
-------------

1. Justine Henin
2. Venus Williams
3. Maria Sharapova
4. Serena Williams
5. Amelie Mauresmo
6. Jelena Jankovic
7. Nichole Vaidisova
8. Ana Ivanovic
9. Svetlana Kusnetsova
10. Nadia Petrova

You forgot about Lindsay Davenport. She also has a great backhand and I would probably have ranked her in the middle of this list (maybe right below Serena). Lindsay has the best combined groundstrokes off both wings.

Justine Henin has the best backhand overall combining power, consistency, variety and style.

Venus Williams actually hits the hardest backhand on the tour (all of her strokes are hardest hit) but doesn't have the same control or consistency.

Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams are pretty close to a tie in the backhand department. For both of them it's the stronger wing. I'd say Serena's is slightly more powerful with Sharapova's being a little bit more consistent.

Amelie Mauresmo also has a very clean and stylish one handed backhand with lots of variety but not nearly as much power as some of the others mentioned.

Ivanovic's bh shouldnt be in anyones top 10 (except spiritjackass and other deluded fans). vaidisova isnt in the top 10 either (although her bh is still better than ivanovic's)

Im not really a fan but Hantuchova has a good backhand. Rezai has an amazing backhand when she is keeping them in the court.

But in all seriousness Golovin shoulda been #1 on the list. Its so powerful. She defends well with it and handles pace well with hit. She hits its accurately and always deep into the court. Mirza comes in at a close second. The hardest backhand on tour is probably Peer or Radwanksa.

InsideOut.
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Ivanovic's bh shouldnt be in anyones top 10 (except spiritjackass and other deluded fans). vaidisova isnt in the top 10 either (although her bh is still better than ivanovic's)

Im not really a fan but Hantuchova has a good backhand. Rezai has an amazing backhand when she is keeping them in the court.

But in all seriousness Golovin shoulda been #1 on the list. Its so powerful. She defends well with it and handles pace well with hit. She hits its accurately and always deep into the court. Mirza comes in at a close second. The hardest backhand on tour is probably Peer or Radwanksa.

I agree that Ana's backhand does not deserve to be Top 10 shots either. It's way weaker than her forehand.

And yeah Rezai's is brilliant. Really flat and hard.

Renalicious
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Mirza has a great forehand, she's renowned for it but I'm not sure with her bh. Same with Ivanovic. I didn't include Lindsay because she's more renowned for her fh than bh. (IMO)

Andrew Laeddis
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I agree that Ana's backhand does not deserve to be Top 10 shots either. It's way weaker than her forehand.

And yeah Rezai's is brilliant. Really flat and hard.

I really wish she was more consisent. I remember watching her uso match against Dementieva few years ago. Her backhand was one of the biggest I had ever seen.

Andrew Laeddis
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Mirza has a great forehand, she's renowned for it but I'm not sure with her bh. Same with Ivanovic. I didn't include Lindsay because she's more renowned for her fh than bh. (IMO)

If you're refering to my most I wasnt seious about mirza, as her backhand is quite weak. Lindsay has a great bh but I think its such an ugly shot with the way she hits it. I dunno maybe its just davenport and not the bh, but when she has to get down low for a backhand :tape:

hingisGOAT
in all fairness but i think justine is able to pin her opponents to the back of the court far better than hingis. hingis had a very good backhand but it didnt have the ferocity to pin people to back of court

are you serious? Hingis had a better backhand than anyone else named in this thread (unless evert has been mentioned, which i don't think she has). She could take the ball much earlier than Henin and redirect it much better, far more depth and accuracy.

InsideOut.
^^I remember her backhand rally with Ana at USO last year. She was forcing some pretty loopy backhand shots from Ana but then made the bad mistake of hitting to the forehand side. The ball went BOOM into Rezai's forehand corner and Ana got an easy putaway.

Dave.
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Justine is the best single-handed.

Lindsay or Serena for double-handed.

Adal
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I'd say Masha's backhand is one of the best ones on the tour :D Look at her match against Henin at the AO. Some of those backhands were :hearts:

Olórin
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Someone mentioned Serena's cross court backhand as a premier offensive weapon, and this is true. She wins that shot hands down. The thing is with Serena, her backhand can be unplayable when it's on, because of the power and accuracy, but that's true of most of her game. Justine and Jelena have more consistent backhands. Justine's is technically the most solid, but she is not as consistent as Jelena because she tends to go for more. Her backhand is certainly the most aesthetically pleasing.

So, Im going to say Justine overall, because it's the most versatile and probably the more devastating shot. Then Serena, purely because of how devastating it can be when she's returning well, plus it is a technically solid shot she can rely on as part of her game plan even when she isn't returning well, her slice seems to be improving also. Serena's early take back also allows her to disguise what shot she's going to hit well also. Jelena is third, although they're all pretty close; her backhand is very consistent and her Hingis-esque down-the-line is one of the better shots in the women's game. It's integral to her gameplan and she uses it well, but it's not quite as much of a "big gun" imho as Serena's or Justine's during the big matches.

Andrew Laeddis
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Even though Mauresmo was shit, Maria's cross court backhands in the Uso 2006 semi final were spectacular

Il Primo!
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Out of these three, Jankovic.

But overall, Sharapova, hands down. Maybe the most underrated shot in tennis these days. Period.

QUEENLINDSAY
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:04 PM
JJ has to more consistant stroke
Serena has the more overpowering stroke
Justine has more variety.

Power goes to Serena
Accuracy goes to JJ
Justine's can be overpowered

consistensy vs just getting the ball back! Jelena?
justine consistensy is still the best!
serena's explosive shots is also the best ( not during the time where she just guides the ball)

Olórin
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:07 PM

But overall, Sharapova, hands down. Maybe the most underrated shot in tennis these days. Period.

How is it Maria hands down?

Maria and Lindsay have very similar backhands, of the two handers I find it very difficult to separate these two and Venus, Serena and Jankovic, there simply isn't a clear best :shrug:

QUEENLINDSAY
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Lindsay should always be the list in terms of groundstrokes! wether backhand or forehand!

QUEENLINDSAY
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:09 PM
backhand ranking- at its best!!
1. Venus
2. lindsay
3. Justine
4. Maria
5. Serena

Il Primo!
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:17 PM
How is it Maria hands down?

Maria and Lindsay have very similar backhands, of the two handers I find it very difficult to separate these two and Venus, Serena and Jankovic, there simply isn't a clear best :shrug:

Because she barely hits UEs with this BH. Her shot is ultra powerful, she can angle it like big time, changes direction easily and can hit it in every position possible. And she's the only one to have all these criterias simultaneously IMO.

But I think it's due to the fact she's ambidextrous so she can feel the ball more than anyone.

Olórin
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Because she barely hits UEs with this BH. Her shot is ultra powerful, she can angle it like big time, changes direction easily and can hit it in every position possible. And she's the only one to have all these criterias simultaneously IMO.

But I think it's due to the fact she's ambidextrous so she can feel the ball more than anyone.

I think what you've said can apply for Lindsay and the sisters as well tbh, but I guess we'll just agree to disagree on that one. ;)

Backhand_stille
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Jankovic has the best backhand!! for sure!!

bandabou
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Serena's game isn't built around her backhand. Her backhand is solid and can do damage. Actually I think her forehand is her best groundstroke.

Now if you asked who's the best serve....

Renalicious
Apr 18th, 2008, 05:35 AM

That's so biased. :lol:

I don't think Sharapova has a best shot "hands down". :tape:

No way is Sharapova's bh better than these three.

tim2502
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:56 AM
2. Serena

Demska
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Jelena
Justine

Serena

jujufreak
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Justine of course

Mina Vagante