PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten or Best "Half-Careers"

Geisha
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I came across the idea for this topic after searching Monica Seles. I noticed that, obviously, Monica's career can be divided into two parts - pre-stabbing and post-stabbing. What she accomplished after the stabbing is underrated, in my opinion, as she won a slew of titles, including a Grand Slam, and other notable results.

Then I got to thinking about other players who have had serious injuries and still played some great tennis. Venus Williams' 2003 abdominal injury, Serena's 2003 knee injury, Justine Henin's 2004 virus, Kim's wrist problems in 2004, Davenport's six months off in 2002, Hingis, as well. I'm sure other players can be added to the list.

So, this topic is to discuss the "half careers" of these players who have suffered serious injuries or illnesses, but even afterward, their lesser results would still be considered quite incredible.

And, if you want, you can make a "best" or "top ten" list with the best half-careers. Ie. Monica Seles' 1996-2003 is better than, let's say, Clijster's total career or what not.

Tennisstar86
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I wouldnt really consider Justine's viral issues in this...as she wasnt really affecting physically... I.E. having to rebuild muscles and such......

Cant really think of any off the top of my head right now though...

Dave.
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I don't think Lindsay's career was 'cut short' or anything. Her 2002 absence did break up her career for a couple of years, but she got it back by mid-2004.

Henin has achieved more in 06-07 than she did in 03-04, so that illness in 2004 didn't 'hurt' her career like others. Same with Clijsters.

Players that have actually had their careers badly affected by external things are people like Seles or Serena/Venus. Seles was never the same after the stabbing. IMO, aside from their injuries, Yetunde's murder was the main reason for Serena and Venus losing their domination of the game. They have still had highlights in the last few years, but do not have the consistency they had in their peak years to get back to the top of the rankings.

DimaDinosaur
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Daniela's weight issue and crying on court

skanky~skanketta
Apr 17th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I wouldnt really consider Justine's viral issues in this...as she wasnt really affecting physically... I.E. having to rebuild muscles and such......

Cant really think of any off the top of my head right now though...Of course not. :rolleyes:

Her muscles would have deteriorated due to the illness.

Andy.
Apr 17th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Mary Pierce could have had a stella career if it wasnt for all her injury problems. I think she has had more bad luck with injury than most. There was her first major injury in 1996 and then come back in 1997. Then another big injury in 2001 and another comeback in 2002 but she wasnt 100% rid of injury really untill 2005 and then she got injured again in 2006. Its beyond not being far.

Direwolf
Apr 17th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I thought that Serena had knee operations
not really a knee injury...

i mean.. Serena could have taken
the operation after the USO
but decided not to...

Davenport could be divided into 2...
Pre-pregnancy
and post birth

Tennisstar86
Apr 17th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Of course not. :rolleyes:

Her muscles would have deteriorated due to the illness.

well let me rephrase.... Justine missed maybe 2 tournaments because of it.....:rolleyes:

Matt01
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:18 PM
well let me rephrase.... Justine missed maybe 2 tournaments because of it.....:rolleyes:

Justine played 6 tournaments in the first 3,5 months of 2004. Then she played 3 tournaments for the remainder of the year. Don't be deluded, please. :)

-VSR-
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Serena's career from 1999-2003 was obviously looking to be the most dominant player is a long time. Then the knee surgery. Since then 2004-present, she hasn't been the same player. :sad:

Craigy
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I thought that Serena had knee operations
not really a knee injury...

i mean.. Serena could have taken
the operation after the USO
but decided not to...

Davenport could be divided into 2...
Pre-pregnancy
and post birth

Serena had a partially torn tendon. Would that not classify as an injury?