PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Fed Cup like Davis Cup?

AcesHigh
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I love the idea of players playing in team competition, especially for their countries. There should be a certain pride to it and really a passionate, competitive nature to the matches.
Yet, Fed Cup has been largely insignificant for the last 5-10 years and I wasn't following it before then. Players don't really seem to care much about winning or losing as much as they could.. and top players rarely commit. The matches usually aren't so great either and at least in the USA, nothing is ever televised. It's quite sad.

Contrast that with the Davis Cup. MOST of the top players always play Davis Cup. They are VERY passionate, the crowds get really into it and so do the players. The matches can get very heated and we've really seen some classics. Hewitt's comeback against Federer.

I'm looking at these semifinal matchups and they are so one-sided and dreadful.

Is it just because of scheduling? Or can men withstand more play so they're able to do Fed Cup and a full schedule and women cant? Or is men's tennis just that much better? I just don't understand why Fed Cup lags so far behind.

Golovinjured.
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:49 AM
I just think that the history of Davis Cup is much richer and the competition is simply more important to the players. It's an a regular basis that you here players recite their fondest memories of Davis Cup and these memories are what make the event important to the players..

I don't know how the could fix Fed Cup. I reckon they should scrap it and start again - its just that bad.. scheduling is bad, coverage is completely non-existant (here in Australia anyway) and hardly anyone is interested in it at all.

I don't find it exciting nor prestigious, it needs more flavour (Chak Attack in Israel :drool:)

Philip
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:52 AM
i think a possible fix would be to combine both events!

but that would never happen ;)

DimaDinosaur
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Excuse you, but hello! We're dealing with human beings!! We're selfish so fuck team pride, it's all about individual glory. Wake up and smell the coffee, girl!

Golovinjured.
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:04 AM
i think a possible fix would be to combine both events!

but that would never happen ;)

HELLO!!! ...Hopman Cup :lol:

Only the cool kids play Hopman Cup :cool:

Dave.
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I think the doubles should be played in the 3rd rubber and not the 5th, but other than that Davis Cup and Fed Cup are the same. The top players have the same attitude. Federer hardly ever plays Davis Cup, it's not just the women.

Slutati
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Players don't give a fuck about Fed cup.They only play it so they can get into Olympics.

AcesHigh
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:14 AM
I think the doubles should be played in the 3rd rubber and not the 5th, but other than that Davis Cup and Fed Cup are the same. The top players have the same attitude. Federer hardly ever plays Davis Cup, it's not just the women.

I'm sorry but that's just wrong. Roddick, Nadal, Safin, Safin, Hewitt, and others all play. Federer plays too(he played 3 matches per tie too), just not as much but it's unrealistic for him since Switzerland always loses anyway so at this point, it's just not in his best interest as he chases history and must conserve his energy. But he played from 1999-2007. That's still a lot. He's played more ties than Roddick and Roddick has played pretty much every tie since 2001.

Sam L
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Yeah, Fed Cup has been a joke the past 5-10 years. The best players don't turn up and so the best teams do not win.

It's irrelevant now.

Lunaris
Apr 17th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I agree with the first sentence that there should be a certain pride to it. Davis Cup is more prestigious due to its history I guess, but if it was so perfect why would they award players with ranking points for winning matches, which is going to happen soon. I am at work now and don't have time to find some article about it. ITF and WTA would do well if they introduced ranking points for playing Fed Cup as well.

mankind
Apr 17th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Tennis is an individual sport. Therefore the players who pursue this sport to a PROFESSIONAL level are inherently self-centred and individualistic. It's just incompatible with team competition. Of course there are exceptions, but that's all they are - exceptions.