PDA

View Full Version : What Were The Last Few Classic Matches?

Vincey!
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:18 AM
My friend is convinced that the last few classic matches happened between 2001-2004, the only lately one would be Venus vs Davenport in the Final of 2005 Wimbledon, but I think that only Sharapova (I'm not being biased at all) had some classics matches since she started tennis...

-1st: The whole Wimbledon 2004 is a classic, she played amazing matches as a young player, not even a darkhorses...just remember the SF against Davenport (2-6 7-6(5) 6-1) or just how just stormed in the final against Serena (6-1 6-4)

-2nd: SF against Serena at the AO 2005 (6-2 5-7 6-8)

-3rd: Probably the Wimbledon 2005 SF against Venus (6-7 1-6)

-4th: The USopen 2004 most likely her win against Henin in Final (6-4 6-4) and her match against Mauresmo in SF (6-0 4-6 6-0)

-5th: I think The Biggest one, is Henin vs Sharapova at the YEC in 2007 ( 7-5 5-7 4-6)

-6th: There is also a potential classic match at this year AO, the Quarter final against Henin (6-0 6-4) would be a good one.

I think that the only reason why my friend can't see one of those matches as classic it's because they aren't old enough :shrug:..what is making a match classic it's when it is getting old and that we still remember it.

PS: I'm not saying that they are ALL classics, but TO ME they COULD be.

Mattographer
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Those matches aren't classified as classic except the AO 2005.

I didn't see the YEC match against Henin so I can't comment on that one.

guapogreg08
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:38 AM
there are a lot of errors in your post...

Slutati
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:38 AM
The only Sharapova classic I can think of is this one:
Davenport def. Sharapova 6:0, 6:0
Yes I'm a hater and all but that's one of the matches that will be remembered:bounce:

Tennisstar86
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:40 AM
My friend is convinced that the last few classic matches happened between 2001-2004, the only lately one would beat Venus vs Davenport in the SF of 2005 Wimbledon, but I think that only Sharapova (I'm not being biased at all) had some classics matches since she started tennis...

-1st: The whole Wimbledon 2004 is a classic, she played amazing matches as a young player, not even a darkhorses...just remember the SF against Davenport (2-6 7-6(5) 6-1) or just how just stormed in the final against Serena (6-1 6-4)

-4th: The USopen 2004 most likely her win against Henin in Final (6-4 6-4) and her match against Mauresmo in SF (6-0 4-6 6-0)

-5th: I think The Biggest one, is Henin vs Sharapova at the YEC in 2007 ( 7-5 5-7 4-6)

-6th: There is also a potential classic match at this year AO, the Quarter final against Henin (6-0 6-4) would be a good one.

I think that the only reason why my friend can't see one of those matches as classic it's because they aren't old enough :shrug:..what is making a classic match it's when it is getting old and that we still remember them.

PS: I'm not saying that they are ALL classics, but to me they could be.

:haha: is this post a joke or what? the only match you listed that MAY have been a "classic" was the YEC.... I didnt see it, so i cant speak on it.

The last classica match i can think of (that i saw) was Venus Davenport 2005..... Venus/ Henin (07' US) had potential until Venus ran out of gas and you were left wondering... is that it....

LindsayRulz
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:42 AM
From your list, only the 2005 Wimbledon SF is a classic match IMO. The match against Serena at AO and Justine at YEC are high in drama, but not in quality.

And I agree with your friend, I think the last classic match was the Wimbledon 2005 final.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jank vs Serena in Miami :drool:

Vincey!
there are a lot of errors in your post...

sorry I'm a french canadian :shrug:...and I didn't take time to correct them...sorry!

IceHock
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:49 AM
henin-mauresmo eastbourne 2007

AcesHigh
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:59 AM
I think those are classics.. to YOU.
But we all have our own opinions.

IceSkaTennisFan
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:59 AM
but I think that only Sharapova[/B] (I'm not being biased at all) [B]had some classics matches since she started tennis...
Wow. Nice disclaimer :p

Dave.
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:00 AM
:lol: Those Wimby 04 matches are definetely NOT classics. :help: They're horrible matches! (good for a Sharapova fan, but the tennis is rather poor).

The only ones you listed that could be considered classic matches are the AO SF in 2005, and the YEC Final in 2007. The Wimbledon 2005 SF (Venus vs Sharapova) was a good match, but not a classic.

frontier
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Venus and Davenport final Wimbledon 05 still stands out as a classic.

le bon vivant
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Fucking dead @ your location.

Renalicious
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:29 AM
FIRST OF ALL. The Venus match vs. Davenport was the FINAL of Wimbledon in 2005.

Second of all. Sharapova def Henin and her matches at 04 Wimby were FAR from being classics.

The YEC was a good match but I don't think it was a classic. The only classic I see there is when she got beat by Serena 2005 AO. And that wasn't so much of a CLASSIC CLASSIC anyway. That match was good because it was in such an important stage of a grandlslam, and obviously the scoreline says it all, along with Rena saving 3 mps.

LudwigDvorak
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Henin/Mauresmo Eastbourne F was the best of 2007, easily. Best of 2006? Probably Clijsters/Mauresmo YEC SF...or so I hear. I didn't care about that match. To me, the best of '06 was probably the Stanford F between Sharapova/Clijsters.

Anyway, the last genuine classic was the '05 Wimbledon F, for sure.

Dunlop1
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I definitely concur with the Henin Mauresmo Eastbourne 07 final. It was an amazing match. I don't know if I can call it a classic. I have high standards for classics. Venus/Davenport 05 Wimbly final really raised the bar and yes, that was the last classic.

stevos
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Venus-Davenport may have been the last classic, but damn was that ever a great classic. I feel so blessed to have seen it live on TV even. Truly incredible.

And I would definitely call Maria-Serena AO 2005 a classic, I could never ask for more in a tennis match. If that match doesn't have you staring intensely at the screen throughout the entire match, and going crazy, then I don't know what's wrong with you. Drama like that can be enough to make a classic for me, I still watch it.

Also, Venus-Maria of Wimbledon 2005 was absolutely breathtaking bashing, so intense and so well-struck from the very first point. They both wanted it so badly, too. (Of course there's the screech factor too, which almost makes it a novelty). Notice I'm naming Sharapova losses, so I must not be biased. ;)

homogenius
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:27 AM
My friend is convinced that the last few classic matches happened between 2001-2004, the only lately one would be Venus vs Davenport in the Final of 2005 Wimbledon, but I think that only Sharapova (I'm not being biased at all) had some classics matches since she started tennis...

I think that the only reason why my friend can't see one of those matches as classic it's because they aren't old enough :shrug:..what is making a match classic it's when it is getting old and that we still remember it.

[B][B]PS: I'm not saying that they are ALL classics, but TO ME they COULD be.

We all can see that you're not biased at all, no need to precise it.You should add her marvelous win against Mattek (especially on clay) today : definetly a CLASSIC.

Vincey!
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:37 AM
We all can see that you're not biased at all, no need to precise it.You should add her marvelous win against Mattek (especially on clay) today : definetly a CLASSIC.

C'mon I'm not dumb, anyway I never said that ALL these matches deserve to be a classic, just that I think that some of them have potential to become one. I gave more than needed, that's all. If I was that biased I wouldn't have talked about Maria's losses.

I don't think that a match where a playing is getting crush could be considered in any case as a classic :rolleyes:

Tennisstar86
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:43 AM
C'mon I'm not dumb, anyway I never said that ALL these matches deserve to be a classic, just that I think that some of them have potential to become one. I gave more than needed, that's all. If I was that biased I wouldn't have talked about Maria's losses.

I don't think that a match where a playing is getting crush could be considered in any case as a classic :rolleyes:

To me A Classic is a match where the points are high quality...and the lead/ edge swings back and forth...and for the most part this does not happen in 2 set straight win matches....

lindsay serena
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Everyone has their own definition of what is a classic.

For me, the three matches of this century that stand out are:

2003: U.S Open Semi-final, Henin def Capriati 4-6, 7-6, 7-5. I'm shocked no one's mentioned this. Alright, it has been quite a while, almost 5 years, but still, it's not that long ago that people should have forgot it. An absolute clasic, kept me on the edge of my seat. I so wanted Jen to win, but a combination of her choking and Justine fighting so hard resulted in Justine winning. I really feel that this match kind of ended Jen's career. :sad:

2005: Australian Open Semi-final, Williams def Sharapova 2-6, 7-5, 8-5. I so wanted Serena to win, and when Maria served for that match in the second, I'd all but given up. Serena palyed great on the three match points down. A great, dramatic match.

2005: Wimbledon Final: Williams def Davenport: I wanted Lindsay to win so badly. Venus

ninanina19
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Serena-Maria AO 2007 is a classic.

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:09 AM
San Diego 2004 semifinal Myskina vs Zvonareva is very underrated.

TomTennis
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Everyone has their own definition of what is a classic.

For me, the three matches of this century that stand out are:

2003: U.S Open Semi-final, Henin def Capriati 4-6, 7-6, 7-5. I'm shocked no one's mentioned this. Alright, it has been quite a while, almost 5 years, but still, it's not that long ago that people should have forgot it. An absolute clasic, kept me on the edge of my seat. I so wanted Jen to win, but a combination of her choking and Justine fighting so hard resulted in Justine winning. I really feel that this match kind of ended Jen's career. :sad:

2005: Australian Open Semi-final, Williams def Sharapova 2-6, 7-5, 8-5. I so wanted Serena to win, and when Maria served for that match in the second, I'd all but given up. Serena palyed great on the three match points down. A great, dramatic match.

2005: Wimbledon Final: Williams def Davenport: I wanted Lindsay to win so badly. Venus

I agree, in 10-15 years time, when commentators are talking about "classics" these are the ones that they will talk about. They are not going to say "ey, remember that amazing match when Sharapova beat Henin 6-0 6-4 in the quater-finals" :rolleyes:

Hardiansf
Apr 17th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Classic matches from SLAMs (4 me) in 2000 - current:
Oz : 2007 Final Serena def Sharapova, 2005 SF Serena def Sharapova, 2003 SF Serena def Clijsters, 2002 F Capriati def Hingis, 2002 QF Seles def Venus, 2001 QF Hingis def Venus
RG : 2003 SF Henin def Serena, 2001 F Capriati def Clijsters
Wim : 2007 SF Bartoli def Henin, 2005 F Venus def Davenport, 2005 SF Venus def Sharapova, 2004 SF Serena def Mauresmo
US : 2007 SF Henin def Venus, 2007 QF Venus def Jankovic, 2003 SF Henin def Capriati, 2000 SF Venus def Hingis

frenchie
Apr 17th, 2008, 10:46 AM
LOL

as if only $harapova could play classic matches!

Ryan
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:41 PM
From the ones initially listed I think the Sharapova/Henin match COULD be a classic if more networks broadcasted goddamn tennis more often! The Sharapova/Serena AO match gets forgotten a lot.

Generall blowouts are never classics, except the really memorable ones like Graf def. Zvereva 6-0 6-0 RG 88 final, and maybe Evert demolishing Navratilova in a clay court final?

Viktymise
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:56 PM
:lol: Those Wimby 04 matches are definetely NOT classics. :help: They're horrible matches! (good for a Sharapova fan, but the tennis is rather poor).

The only ones you listed that could be considered classic matches are the AO SF in 2005, and the YEC Final in 2007. The Wimbledon 2005 SF (Venus vs Sharapova) was a good match, but not a classic.

The Wimbledon 05 SF between Venus and Sharapova was better quality than the AO 05 SF and the 07 YEC F put together. :o

The AO 05 SF between Serena and Sharapova is very overrated. Apart from a couple of games at the end of the 2nd and 3rd sets, the tempo and quality was pretty subdued. First half of the 3rd set was sleep inducing stuff. Amazing comeback and fight from Serena, yes. Classic match? No.

Just because matches are close in score between two top players, doesn't mean they are classics.

Olórin
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:58 PM
From your list, only the 2005 Wimbledon SF is a classic match IMO. The match against Serena at AO and Justine at YEC are high in drama, but not in quality.

And I agree with your friend, I think the last classic match was the Wimbledon 2005 final.

I think there have been a few classic matches in the last couple of years. The problem is the Wimbledon 2005 Final is one of the top 5 classic matches of all time. I think people set their standard too high when they expect classics to match up to that match.

Since 2005 where we had a few classic matches: I think the 2007 AO Final was a classic because it was such a beatdown out of the blue, the Mimai Final 2007 was a classic, and I think the YEC Final 2007 will come to be regarded as a classic also. No classics so far in 2008, nor imo were there any classics in 2006.

NB: Not that many classics are high in quality throughout, in fact I can't think of any classics that are. A set of good tennis combined with drama, a close scoreline and two champions with pride at stake is normally a good recipe for a classic match.

Olórin
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:00 PM
The Wimbledon 05 SF between Venus and Sharapova was better quality than the AO 05 SF and the 07 YEC F put together. :o

Just because matches are close in score between two top players, doesn't mean they are classics.

Good point, although I think the other two matches you mentioned were or will be classics. The Wimbledon 05 Semi is pretty much seen as a classic I think, one of the very few two set classics.

Olórin
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I think some of you are confusing classics with best tennis matches. Classics are "classic" for intangible reasons, they become classic when commentators &c. keep talking about them, they are not forgotten. They gain that status and earn it by weathering the test of time. Sometimes it takes years for matches to be regarded as such.

Vincey!
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:05 PM
LOL

as if only $harapova could play classic matches!

I never said Sharapova was the only one to get Classics, it's just that this friend told me that Sharapova can't make classic matches ;)...so I pointed out the one where she was playing and that COULD become a classic :p

Pheobo
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Just because it went three sets in a final or semi does not qualify it as a classic. All but one of the matches you mentioned (the thread starter) were sloppy and error ridden. While the women's field has become a lot deeper in talent lately, the actual quality has noticeably gone downhill in the last few years, IMO. I think that the only "classic", high quality match from the last several years has been the 2005 Wimbledon final.

As heartbreaking as the result was for me :sad:

Olórin
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Just because it went three sets in a final or semi does not qualify it as a classic. All but one of the matches you mentioned (the thread starter) were sloppy and error ridden. While the women's field has become a lot deeper in talent lately, the actual quality has noticeably gone downhill in the last few years, IMO. I think that the only "classic", high quality match from the last several years has been the 2005 Wimbledon final.

As heartbreaking as the result was for me :sad:

The Wimbledon Final wasn't high quality consistently throughout, especially not in the first set.
I can't think of a classic that was high quality throughout, the 1999 FO Final was very, very patchy. And the 1992 FO Final neither Seles or Graf played their best at the same time until the third set.

Dave.
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:15 PM

The AO 05 SF between Serena and Sharapova is very overrated. Apart from a couple of games at the end of the 2nd and 3rd sets, the tempo and quality was pretty subdued. First half of the 3rd set was sleep inducing stuff. Amazing comeback and fight from Serena, yes. Classic match? No.

Well I personally wouldn't consider any of them to be classics, but the YEC final 07 was a better match than Wimbledon 05 SF.

I think some of you are confusing classics with best tennis matches. Classics are "classic" for intangible reasons, they become classic when commentators &c. keep talking about them, they are not forgotten. They gain that status and earn it by weathering the test of time. Sometimes it takes years for matches to be regarded as such.

I don't care what matches commentators talk about. For me, classics are the matches that I as a tennis fan remember most. The matches I remember most are the ones that are great quality tennis or an unbelievable fightback. Anyway, commentators will normally talk about the best tennis matches the most, so it's the same thing. :shrug:

Olórin
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Well I personally wouldn't consider any of them to be classics, but the YEC final 07 was a better match than Wimbledon 05 SF.

I don't care what matches commentators talk about. For me, classics are the matches that I as a tennis fan remember most. The matches I remember most are the ones that are great quality tennis or an unbelievable fightback. Anyway, commentators will normally talk about the best tennis matches the most, so it's the same thing. :shrug:

The best tennis matches are often not between the top 10 players, and commentators and the lay tennis enthusiast tends to remember the matches the top players play against each other more, so I don't think that's true.

Also, commentators are fans of tennis, so what the commentators talk about is often indicative of the general feelings of the tennis world. Of course we all have our own favourites and very often they will be the "classics".

Viktymise
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:35 PM

LOL, no it wasn't, not even close. The YEC final was pretty erratic at times and Justine wasn't even playing that well for the most part.

Dave.
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:41 PM
It was more entertaining for me. :shrug: