PDA

View Full Version : Venus and her "trademark" name

Yonexforever
Apr 16th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I often wondered if LG/Verizon could be sued by Venus Williams based on her name/brand recognition,
They heavily adverstise their Venus Envy handset on TV.

THen jus last night I saw ANOTHER product.. "Venus Embrace", I believe its some form of female product.

My question is if you were Venus would you sue?

Quite frankly everytime i hear the word/name Venus I only think of 1 person, but i have a tennis background.

What do you all think?

Expat
Apr 16th, 2008, 09:27 PM
wth
venus is the name of a goddess and a planet to boot

on a side note : should Martina Navratilova sue Martina Hingis and her mom for taking inspiration from her name ???

kwilliams
Apr 16th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Obviously 'Venus' is going to be used as a name for many feminine products because of the goddess.

Oracene and Richard didn't create the name, they and/or Venus don't own the name and I doubt they could trademark it.

Bingain
Apr 16th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Obviously 'Venus' is going to be used as a name for many feminine products because of the goddess.

Oracene and Richard didn't create the name, they and/or Venus don't own the name and I doubt they could trademark it.

I don't think they can trademark a generic name/word except maybe to a very limited catagory (eg fashion - which they are 20+ years late.)

There is a fashion/swimsuit brand "Venus" which was created in 1984 (when V.Williams was 4 yo.) This is going to make Venus Williams' future fashion label naming a bit challenging. Maybe she'll have to resort to Veeeeeeeeee !

xr6turbo
Apr 16th, 2008, 09:55 PM
The Fucking Venus Williams.

Shoulderpova
Apr 16th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Venus :kiss:

xr6turbo
Apr 16th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Yes, she should also sue Wimbledon while she's at it. Either she gets paid some money or they need to change the name of that trophy to Saturn Tulip-Ice Dish or something. How dare they!!!!!

LUV U VEE!!!!!!!!!!!!11 :hartsumahQUEEN:
:haha: what about the Pluto Plate

Direwolf
Apr 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM
wth
venus is the name of a goddess and a planet to boot

on a side note : should Martina Navratilova sue Martina Hingis and her mom for taking inspiration from her name ???

how many Martina (names have you seen)? quite a lot

how many Venus Envy have you seen??
ive seen only one..

so far...
Venus hasnt/can't patent the name Venus...
or anything that has to do with Venus

other than the company/brand name that she
has given birth to...

Bounty Hunter
Apr 17th, 2008, 12:32 PM
:help:

Mikey.
Apr 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM
:silly: :help: :tape:
I'm pretty sure anyone can use the name 'Venus' as much as they like.:lol: Aslong as it isn't 'Venus Williams' then I'm sure they'll be fine ;);)

calabar
Apr 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM
:silly: :help: :tape:
I'm pretty sure anyone can use the name 'Venus' as much as they like.:lol: Aslong as it isn't 'Venus Williams' then I'm sure they'll be fine ;);)
Actually, unless the words "Venus Williams" are copyrighted, then anyone can use them. As a matter of fact, if a couple whose last name is Williams is about to give birth to a girl, there is nothing to stop them from naming their child "Venus".
I know of many people with the name, "Michael Jackson, Michael Jordan, Vanessa Williams,... etc....etc.

GracefulVenus
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Venus Williams Everyone :wavey:

Yonexforever
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Actually, unless the words "Venus Williams" are copyrighted, then anyone can use them. As a matter of fact, if a couple whose last name is Williams is about to give birth to a girl, there is nothing to stop them from naming their child "Venus".
I know of many people with the name, "Michael Jackson, Michael Jordan, Vanessa Williams,... etc....etc.

Actually, Vanessa Williams(former Ms America) was forced to add her middle initial (L) for quite a while after the other vanessa Williams complained since they were in the same industry and were often confused.

pov
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I often wondered if LG/Verizon could be sued by Venus Williams based on her name/brand recognition,
They heavily adverstise their Venus Envy handset on TV.

THen jus last night I saw ANOTHER product.. "Venus Embrace", I believe its some form of female product.

My question is if you were Venus would you sue?

Quite frankly everytime i hear the word/name Venus I only think of 1 person, but i have a tennis background.

What do you all think?
You're kidding right? I mean wtf? Google "Venus" then come back and delete this silly thread.

40-0
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Thats like.. Venus gillete thing ,,, its useless... even tho they could use her image for her long legs and stuff that would be hot, but it would have happened in 2000 or 2001 tho.