PDA

View Full Version : Stevenson & the Top 10

Equipped
Apr 16th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Prior to her current match-up with Jankovic, the last time Alexandra Stevenson played a player in the:

TOP 50
Memphis 2006
Arvidsson def. Stevenson 6-2, 6-4

TOP 20
Paris Indoors 2004
Farina Elia def. Stevenson 6-7, 7-5, 6-2

TOP 10
Amelia Island 2003
Hantuchova def. Stevenson 6-4, 3-6, 6-2

TOP 5
Sydney 2002
Stevenson def. Capriati 7-6, 3-6, 6-4

Stevenson's overall record against Top Ten players: 5-22

Renalicious
Apr 16th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Interesting. :) It's actually not a bad record since her highest was only 18 and to rack up 5 Top 10 wins is pretty good. Especially beating Capriati. :inlove:

Good luck Lexy! :D

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 16th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I remember following that match between Silvia and Alex :scared:

mirzalover
Apr 16th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Didnt she beat Jennifer 3 times in 2002?

Equipped
Apr 16th, 2008, 04:26 PM
She's got a few wins over Capriati. I can't remember if it's 2 or 3.

bwahahahahaha
Apr 16th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Didnt she beat Jennifer 3 times in 2002?

Yes. Icluding a 6-1 6-1 thrashing in Linz. And Capriati was the top seed every time Lexy beat her :eek::eek:

frontier
Apr 16th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I think Alex has turned the corner she is on her way up regardless of what happens in her match with JJ this is her turning point.She is back and we will see more of her in upcoming events,all she needs are confidence building maches under her belt.She wont lose to JJ because she is less of player but because she is not yet comfortable in these situations.Good luck this year Alex!:worship:

markhingis
Apr 16th, 2008, 05:06 PM
her ranking will improve a bit, not enough I guess to avoid playing qualies in lesser events :(

frontier
Apr 16th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I think she should also play doubles that would do her game some good.Good luck Alex!this is just the beginning your time has come.

Thkmra
Apr 16th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I think Alex has turned the corner she is on her way up regardless of what happens in her match with JJ this is her turning point.She is back and we will see more of her in upcoming events,all she needs are confidence building maches under her belt.She wont lose to JJ because she is less of player but because she is not yet comfortable in these situations.Good luck this year Alex!:worship:

I sure hope so..because I would Love, love looooove to see Alex turn it around, and become a force in the game again!!! :)

Bruno71
Apr 16th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Alex, in a decade on the tour, hasn't nearly the accomplishments JJ has. She's capable of a lot more than she's shown in the last few years, but she's no JJ.

auntie janie
Apr 16th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I think Alex has turned the corner she is on her way up regardless of what happens in her match with JJ this is her turning point.She is back and we will see more of her in upcoming events,all she needs are confidence building maches under her belt. She wont lose to JJ because she is less of player but because she is not yet comfortable in these situations. Good luck this year Alex!:worship:

No, she IS less of a player. FAR, FAR less. Have you ever seen Alex's movement on a tennis court? :tape:

frontier
Apr 16th, 2008, 06:47 PM
No, she IS less of a player. FAR, FAR less. Have you ever seen Alex's movement on a tennis court? :tape:I am telling you she has turned a corner,she is starting to feel confident and there are important people watching who will help her.I want you to visit this thread at the end of summer when she reaches the top 100.JJ was also in the same boat until one match changed everything.Good luck Lexy rock on!:)

frontier
Apr 16th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Alex, in a decade on the tour, hasn't nearly the accomplishments JJ has. She's capable of a lot more than she's shown in the last few years, but she's no JJ.
She had serious surgery and lost confidence thats all.You are forgetting she was a semifinalist at a prestigious event like Wimbledon,all this happened when she was a teenager now she is grown up ,whether she becomes a force or not on tour it doesnt matter at least she is not sitting on her laurels....not a quitter.:p

auntie janie
Apr 16th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I am telling you she has turned a corner,she is starting to feel confident and there are important people watching who will help her.I want you to visit this thread at the end of summer when she reaches the top 100.JJ was also in the same boat until one match changed everything.Good luck Lexy rock on!:)

Maybe Alex will reach the top 100 at the end of the summer. So what? The top 100 is nothing like the top 5, and the top 5 is where JJ resides, and where she deserves to be. Alex moves about as well as a statue, and until that changes drastically, she's not ever going to be near the player that JJ is.

She'll always have the bigger mouth, though; I have to concede that. :cool:

Equipped
Apr 16th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Stevenson may indeed make back into the Top 100, but I doubt that she can actually stay there. She's already 27, and I think she may be having her one last flash of results before she calls it a career.

(And, BTW, I would rank JJ a good bit higher than Alex.)

frontier
Apr 16th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Maybe Alex will reach the top 100 at the end of the summer. So what? The top 100 is nothing like the top 5, and the top 5 is where JJ resides, and where she deserves to be. Alex moves about as well as a statue, and until that changes drastically, she's not ever going to be near the player that JJ is.

She'll always have the bigger mouth, though; I have to concede that. :cool:I 'm sure she has goals for her life and if her goal is to be top 100 and she achieves that so be it,even if to you its meaningless but to someone who had major surgery and a long rehab its important.JJ has not achieved much at 23yrs compared to real champions of the game she only has 4 titles,her ranking is due to over playing,so far she has played 7 events whereas everybody is into their third or second event.:p