PDA

View Full Version : Maria's chances of No.2?

Cakeisgood
Apr 16th, 2008, 03:15 AM
She has no points to defend in Charleston, and JJ is defending, so if Masha makes even the quarters (vs Serena :drool:), will she be No.2?

Also, does Charleston count for seedings at RG? At least Masha made top 4 :)

VeeJJ
Apr 16th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Okay, jj will mostly likey at least make it to the final if not defend, so don't get ur hopes up.

Tennisation
Apr 16th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Okay, jj will mostly likey at least make it to the final if not defend, so don't get ur hopes up.not if Sexy Lexy takes her out;)

Dan23
The rankings after Charleston would definitely count towards RG seedings as there is still a month to go. The seedings may not be settled until after Berlin and Rome . There'll be plenty of opportunities for Maria to regain the #2 ranking in the coming weeks.

Expat
She has no points to defend in Charleston, and JJ is defending, so if Masha makes even the quarters (vs Serena :drool:), will she be No.2?

Also, does Charleston count for seedings at RG? At least Masha made top 4 :)
she can make no 3 here
and yes she will most likely be in the top 4 seeds for FO
charleston counts for FO
the seedings will be based on the week preceding FO (excluding istanbul i think)

Cp6uja
Apr 16th, 2008, 03:23 AM

Also, does Charleston count for seedings at RG? At least Masha made top 4 :)Are your question about No.2 or about No.3??? To overtake Kuznetsova she needs only win against Mattek - but if she lose in QF against Serena, Jankovic will overtake her only with win!

But current No.2 is Ana Ivanovic and Maria will probably overtake her after Wimbledon... not before... and if she continue with such good results and Henin with slump she will reach #1 this summer, not only #2.

Tennisstar86
Apr 16th, 2008, 03:25 AM
For her sake I hope not..... I have a feeling whoever's #2 will fall early in the GS slam again.... As seems to be the growing trend....

Tennisstar86
Apr 16th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Are your question about No.2 or about No.3??? To overtake Kuznetsova she needs only win against Mattek - but if she lose in QF against Serena, Jankovic will overtake her only with win!

But current No.2 is Ana Ivanovic and Maria will probably overtake her after Wimbledon... not before.

I dont think Ana will be #2 after the FO....

Cp6uja
Apr 16th, 2008, 03:35 AM
I dont think Ana will be #2 after the FO....She still have best chances b/c clay is her best surface. I also think that Ana have better chances to defend her 2007 RG final than Maria her RG/07 SF. Also b/c Henin is in deep crisis i think Ana have better chances to reach her career first RG title than Maria career first RG final (IMO). Sveta and Jelena also have some chances for #2 after RG but not even close so good like Ana and Maria.
On other hand at Wimbledon Maria defending only R4 and if she is injuree free - Ana probably needs to win RG with other good results to stoped Maria to reach #2 spot after end of 2008 grass season.

asiandude
Apr 16th, 2008, 05:54 AM
It doesnt matter whether your no 2 or 3 or what. No one remembers the second. You'll be remembered for winning GS or have been world no 1. Maria has 3 GS and been no. 1. She'll be inducted to hall of fame whne she retires. So who cares being no. 2?

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Apr 16th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Maria plays Charleston, Berlin, Rome and RG.
Ana plays Berlin, Rome, RG.

Ana plays less tournaments and is 300 points behind Maria if we take the points off from last year.
Very likely that Maria will be 2 after RG.
Maria needs a final in Charleston to be nr 2 next week.

austennis
Apr 16th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Maria can do it and deserves to do it..look forward to its ivanovic sharapova at 1 -2 i dont care bout order

tennnisfannn
Apr 16th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Ana plays less tournaments and is 300 points behind Maria if we take the points off from last year.
There is no way maria is playing berlin and rome back to back!!
As for Charleston points, tey came out a week ago so it won't make a difference whether JJ is defending or that maria did not play last year.

schorsch
Apr 16th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Yap, I either want her to play Berlin or Rome. But rather Rome. It suits her sooo much better.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 16th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Maria is likely to go into Berlin as #2 in safe points (after Berlin pts are removed)

even right now Masha leads Ana by 150 after Berlin pts are removed.
There's no Warsaw this yr either so the next big tourn is gonna be Berlin.

at least QF here in Charleston would mean Jankovic having to win this event to overtake Masha.

joćo.
Apr 16th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Hopefully she will be #2 soon. :D

Shimizu Amon
Apr 16th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Well at this point I don't care about her position as long as she improves on clay and stays healthy.

Rerun
Apr 16th, 2008, 12:44 PM

I don't thin Maria will play in Berlin finally ;)

SAEKeithSerena
Apr 16th, 2008, 02:31 PM
i'm sure she will. that's where she clearly belongs.

Tennisstar86
Apr 16th, 2008, 06:39 PM
She still have best chances b/c clay is her best surface. I also think that Ana have better chances to defend her 2007 RG final than Maria her RG/07 SF. Also b/c Henin is in deep crisis i think Ana have better chances to reach her career first RG title than Maria career first RG final (IMO). Sveta and Jelena also have some chances for #2 after RG but not even close so good like Ana and Maria.
On other hand at Wimbledon Maria defending only R4 and if she is injuree free - Ana probably needs to win RG with other good results to stoped Maria to reach #2 spot after end of 2008 grass season.

clay is not her best surface, shes tall slow, and doesnt exactly contruct points all that well... NO i dont expect Ana to defend her final points or maria to defend her Semi points.... Jankovic has the best chance at the Title IMO and I expect her to be #2 after RG...

frontier
Apr 16th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I think pova will be no.2 come RG,the other top four players with the exception of JH have a lot to defend.Ana has to defend Berlin points,JJ has Charleston ,Berlin , Rome and a tier3 semi,Sveta was a finalist in Warsaw and Berlin.Maria only has a few Instabul points to defend.

Cp6uja
Apr 16th, 2008, 09:09 PM
clay is not her best surface, shes tall slow, and doesnt exactly contruct points all that well... NO i dont expect Ana to defend her final points or maria to defend her Semi points.... Jankovic has the best chance at the Title IMO and I expect her to be #2 after RG...So far Ana played only 3 full PRO seasons - 2005, 2006, 2007.
Ana's 2005 season - Clay best surface.
Ana's 2006 season - b/c injury withdraw from Berlin and Rome and have early exit from RG.
Ana's 2007 season - Clay best surface.

So in 2 of her 3 career seasons so far she have best results at clay twice.
Her game style and tactics at clay is similar to another "Big Forehand Lady" Mary Pierce which have big success at clay (3RG finals including one title + 2 tier-I titles at clay) and which former coach Groenfeld is BTW current Ana coach. Ana is already faster than Mary at her best and have better first serve, so with that big "Pierce League" forehand Ana is already title-contender at every claycourt tournament even without "Pierce Level" Backhand or 2nd serve. Another good example of good claycourt player without fast movement is Svetlana Kuznetsova - Like in Ana and Mary case Sveta's "Big Ferehand" compensate other weakneses. BTW "slow" or "fast" is not only characteristic of players movement - Mary, Ana and Sveta is maybe "slow" players in generally, but all three have (very) good footwork around ball which is actualy more important for offensive "Big Hitters".

My prediction about Ana at clay/08 is another Berlin final (maybe win again?) and she will probably tanked Rome in R3 or QF like always in past week or two after big final. On other hand i expect that Maria will reach QF in Charleston, w/o from Berlin and QF at Rome (maybe SF?). At RG/08 i still think that Ana most realistic result is career 3rd runner-ups but for Maria is less realistic that she will defend her 2007 SF points. Like TOP4 seed Maria in QF must play against some of 5-8 seeds: Sveta/JJ, Venus, Serena or Chaky and expect that she will be 4th time at last 6 slams in same quarter with Chakvetadze is litle too much! So that is reason why Maria must probably to wait Wimbledon to overtake Ana at #2 (with good chances to reach #1 after USO if Henin not regroup herself).

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Apr 16th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I don't thin Maria will play in Berlin finally ;)

Could be. But there is some time between Charleston and Berlin.

Shoulderpova
Apr 16th, 2008, 10:15 PM
So far Ana played only 3 full PRO seasons - 2005, 2006, 2007.
Ana's 2006 season - b/c injury withdraw from Berlin and Rome and have early exit from RG.

Her game style and tactics at clay is similar to another "Big Forehand Lady" Mary Pierce which have big success at clay (3RG finals including one title + 2 tier-I titles at clay) and which former coach Groenfeld is BTW current Ana coach. Ana is already faster than Mary at her best and have better first serve, so with that big "Pierce League" forehand Ana is already title-contender at every claycourt tournament even without "Pierce Level" Backhand or 2nd serve. Another good example of good claycourt player without fast movement is Svetlana Kuznetsova - Like in Ana and Mary case Sveta's "Big Ferehand" compensate other weakneses. BTW "slow" or "fast" is not only characteristic of players movement - Mary, Ana and Sveta is maybe "slow" players in generally, but all three have (very) good footwork around ball which is actualy more important for offensive "Big Hitters"

My prediction about Ana at clay/08 is another Berlin final (maybe win again?) and she will probably tanked Rome in R3 or QF like always in past week or two after big final. On other hand i expect that Maria will reach QF in Charleston, w/o from Berlin and QF at Rome (maybe SF?). At RG/08 i still think that Ana most realistic result is career 3rd runner-ups but for Maria is less realistic that she will defend her 2007 SF points. Like TOP4 seed Maria in QF must play against some of 5-8 seeds: Sveta/JJ, Venus, Serena or Chaky and expect that she will be 4th time at last 6 slams in same quarter with Chakvetadze is litle too much! So that is reason why Maria must probably to wait Wimbledon to overtake Ana at #2 (with good chances to reach #1 after USO if Henin not regroup herself).

OMG :yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn: :yawn: :yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

Nikkiri
Apr 16th, 2008, 11:10 PM
OMG :yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn: :yawn: :yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

You obviously didn't read it so why bother commenting. :yawn::yawn::yawn:

AcesHigh
Apr 16th, 2008, 11:59 PM
clay is not her best surface, shes tall slow, and doesnt exactly contruct points all that well... NO i dont expect Ana to defend her final points or maria to defend her Semi points.... Jankovic has the best chance at the Title IMO and I expect her to be #2 after RG...

Jankovic has the best chance yet Ana>Jelena :confused: Jankovic probably has a better chance at defeating Henin but if she runs into Ana again, Ivanovic will have the advantage

Tennisstar86
Apr 17th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Jankovic has the best chance yet Ana>Jelena :confused: Jankovic probably has a better chance at defeating Henin but if she runs into Ana again, Ivanovic will have the advantage

yes, but the chances of Ana and Jelena being on the same side of the draw are slim...and like i said i dont expect Ana to defend her final points....

Tennisstar86
Apr 17th, 2008, 12:39 AM
So far Ana played only 3 full PRO seasons - 2005, 2006, 2007.

Her game style and tactics at clay is similar to another "Big Forehand Lady" Mary Pierce which have big success at clay (3RG finals including one title + 2 tier-I titles at clay) and which former coach Groenfeld is BTW current Ana coach. Ana is already faster than Mary at her best and have better first serve, so with that big "Pierce League" forehand Ana is already title-contender at every claycourt tournament even without "Pierce Level" Backhand or 2nd serve. Another good example of good claycourt player without fast movement is Svetlana Kuznetsova - Like in Ana and Mary case Sveta's "Big Ferehand" compensate other weakneses. BTW "slow" or "fast" is not only characteristic of players movement - Mary, Ana and Sveta is maybe "slow" players in generally, but all three have (very) good footwork around ball which is actualy more important for offensive "Big Hitters".

:rolleyes: Ivanovic does not have Pierce's forehand, not does she contruct points like her..... but if you really want to compare her to pierce then she wont even make it to the second week this year as its not on her 5 year rotation.....

AcesHigh
Apr 17th, 2008, 12:41 AM
yes, but the chances of Ana and Jelena being on the same side of the draw are slim...and like i said i dont expect Ana to defend her final points....

Who will Ana lose to on clay? I can't see anyone in the field better than her on the surface right now except Kuznetsova.. but we don't know which Sveta will show up.

And with Ana as #2 seed, she won't meet Henin until the finals.

sunsfuns
Apr 17th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I think pova will be no.2 come RG,the other top four players with the exception of JH have a lot to defend.Ana has to defend Berlin points,JJ has Charleston ,Berlin , Rome and a tier3 semi,Sveta was a finalist in Warsaw and Berlin.Maria only has a few Instabul points to defend.

Right, but someone will win those events and these same players (Ana, Jelena, Sveta and Justine) are the most likely candidates.

Tennisstar86
Apr 17th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Who will Ana lose to on clay? I can't see anyone in the field better than her on the surface right now except Kuznetsova.. but we don't know which Sveta will show up.

And with Ana as #2 seed, she won't meet Henin until the finals.

Have you seen her play on clay this year? no, anyways lets go with 2007 as an example her "Best" clay season...

At the French open taken to three sets by:
ANABEL MEDINA GARRIGUES
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA
PATTY SCHYNDER

Amelia Island
Taken to three by Shuai Peng
Destroyed by ZVONEREVA
Beaten by GOLOVAN

Her only clay court title came at the expense of 2 retirments and mental midget finalist Kuznetsova.... I mean i just dont understand this ana is amazing on clay B.S..... could she make the final? sure could she lose 1rst round? sure.... Did i say she would lose first round, but i dont expect her to be in the final...

Nikkiri
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Have you seen her play on clay this year? no, anyways lets go with 2007 as an example her "Best" clay season...

ANABEL MEDINA GARRIGUES
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA
PATTY SCHYNDER

Amelia Island
Destroyed by ZVONEREVA
Beaten by GOLOVAN

Her only clay court title came at the expense of 2 retirments and mental midget finalist Kuznetsova.... I mean i just dont understand this ana is amazing on clay B.S..... could she make the final? sure could she lose 1rst round? sure.... Did i say she would lose first round, but i dont expect her to be in the final...

Really now?

Also Zvonereva was in Charleston. ;) If you're gonna come up with facts at least get them right.

Tennisstar86
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Really now?

Also Zvonereva was in Charleston. ;) If you're gonna come up with facts at least get them right.

;) I had them right i just didnt break them up.... just thought id throw in there

ALSO of note is there hasnt been a repeat finalist (2 years in a row that is) (except for Justine) since 96....

AcesHigh
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:02 AM

ANABEL MEDINA GARRIGUES
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA
PATTY SCHYNDER

Amelia Island
Destroyed by ZVONEREVA
Beaten by GOLOVAN

And? Is Jankovic much better? And Kuznetsova a mental midget? She's probably the second-best claycourt player of the last 3 years :rolleyes: And she was taken to three sets by Schnyder at Berlin.. and she isn't a nobody.

If you don't expect her to be in the final.. who else? You trash Ana's results but Jelena hasn't done any better.. Venus hasn't done well lately, Serena hasnt either, Sharapova has done nothing.. and according to you, Kuznetsova is a mental midget?

So who has a better chance than Ana? :wavey:

Tennisstar86
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:10 AM
And? Is Jankovic much better? And Kuznetsova a mental midget? She's probably the second-best claycourt player of the last 3 years :rolleyes: And she was taken to three sets by Schnyder at Berlin.. and she isn't a nobody.

If you don't expect her to be in the final.. who else? You trash Ana's results but Jelena hasn't done any better.. Venus hasn't done well lately, Serena hasnt either, Sharapova has done nothing.. and according to you, Kuznetsova is a mental midget?

So who has a better chance than Ana? :wavey:

In finals.... yes clearly she is....trash ana's results? no realistic about her booking her seat in the final.... to here Crj(obsessed with ana) shes the next coming on christ on clay, when all she did was make the FO finals... several players have done it in the past and there follow up years...did not impress...

Lets list them:

Venus Williams: finalist 2002 4th round 2003
Kim Clijsters: finalist 01- 3rd round 02 finalist 03- DNP 04
Pierce: finalist 94 4th round 95
Dementieva: Finalist 04 4th round 05

The point is one finalist results doesnt mean great things the following year. in fact in most cases the finalist of said year doesnt even make the 2nd week the next year...

AcesHigh
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:17 AM
In finals.... yes clearly she is....trash ana's results? no realistic about her booking her seat in the final.... to here Crj(obsessed with ana) shes the next coming on christ on clay, when all she did was make the FO finals... several players have done it in the past and there follow up years...did not impress...

Lets list them:

Venus Williams: finalist 2002 4th round 2003
Kim Clijsters: finalist 01- 3rd round 02 finalist 03- DNP 04
Pierce: finalist 94 4th round 95
Dementieva: Finalist 04 4th round 05

The point is one finalist results doesnt mean great things the following year. in fact in most cases the finalist of said year doesnt even make the 2nd week the next year...

Those stats are pointless.
1) Venus is inconsistent and that was almost a fluke final
2) Kim Clijsters was still very young and was not one of the top 5 players in the world yet like Ana is
3) Pierce is also terribly inconsistent
4) Dementieva is not good on clay and is also terribly inconsistent and streaky

Ana has backed up her results with a SF and another F at AO and her third Tier I at Indian Wells. And Ana actually plays well on clay. Clay is the least favorite surface of Venus, Clijsters and Dementieva.

AcesHigh
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:20 AM
In finals.... yes clearly she is

Btw, she beat Kuzy in the quarters of the French too and has a substantial 5-1 record against her.. so I would give the edge to Ivanovic.

She isn't the second coming of Christ.. but she's a soon-to-be slam winner and possibly the second or third best player in the world.

Nicaragua
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:25 AM
isnt this a thread to see if maria can reach #2?????????????????

Tennisstar86
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Those stats are pointless.
1) Venus is inconsistent and that was almost a fluke final
2) Kim Clijsters was still very young and was not one of the top 5 players in the world yet like Ana is
3) Pierce is also terribly inconsistent
4) Dementieva is not good on clay and is also terribly inconsistent and streaky

Ana has backed up her results with a SF and another F at AO and her third Tier I at Indian Wells. And Ana actually plays well on clay. Clay is the least favorite surface of Venus, Clijsters and Dementieva.

HAHA fluke final and inconsistent... she only made 3 straight GS fianls after her french open final and the gs final right after her 4th round exit..

Oh and kim hadnt come into her own? ok well she made the final in 03... DNP in 04 and lost 4th round in 05.....

And so far Ana is also "inconsistant" on clay as shes only had 3 years on the surface a quater, 3rd and then final....

We can agree to disagree on this issue, but i have a feeling Ana wont be making the second week in Paris this year...