PDA

View Full Version : "New" Anna Chakvetadze (after Robbery) - Is Time for Panic???

Cp6uja
Apr 16th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Is that december off-season robbery when she and her family is victims of gangsters attack have similar efects on her mental game like Hambourg stabing on Monica Seles???

She never have some realy big weapons to reach TOP5 and her "mental game" is always crucial in her biggest successes. Her high ranking "secret" is always based on consistance results against low ranked players when she easy played cat-mause game with so many patience and self-confidence, but after that Moscow incident when she attacked in her own home she obviously lose that mental power (something like Seles after Hambourg '93). Even when she have some success this year like her win over Obziler in FED CUP i notice something strange in her new behavior and see that no more good old superconfident and patient Anna... she is now only afraid and nervous girls, newest WTA "headcase".

After todays lose her H2H record after robbery against players out of TOP20 is 6-7.
Last season (before incident) she have H2H against players out of TOP20 47-3.
Even in 2006 when she is mostly of season out of TOP30 (in late october reach TOP20) her record against players out of TOP20 is impressive (especialy for her 2006 ranking) 27-10.

She never talking about influence of that gangsters attack which shocked her with bad 2008 results but i dont see anything else what happen between finish of last great season (which she finished with YEC SF like worlds #6) and terible start of new season which she started with 1st round lose in Sydnay and continue with realy bad results. Only exception is Paris Indoors (tier-II) where she reach more points than at all other 8 2008 tournaments together where she compete (already have 4 first-match loses, more than in whole 2007)!

So what you think - is this Chaky case is some of WTA TOP10 slumps which we have couple every season, or we have something much deeper? And please dont post something like "she never deserve to be better ranked than Williams sisters" or whatever. That is not subject of this thread. In 2007 she have WTA 2nd best record (47-3) against non TOP20 players (after Henin) and her superior ability conected with her mental power to always beat worse opponent is so impressive. But since that incident no more her "brandname" stability, patience, confidence, mental supremacy and for example her record vs non-TOP20 players in 2008 is just pathetic (6-7) after 4 months of 2008...

What is your oppinion?

Derek.
Apr 16th, 2008, 02:50 AM
I definitely think it affected her in the beginning of the season.
And that's why she had some poor losses.
Those poor losses led to lower confidence, which led to even more losses.

Dave.
Apr 16th, 2008, 03:11 AM
It would be a tragedy if that robbery was the real reason for Anna's slump. She is a decent player and is at least something different from the rest of the top 10. It would be a shame if she dropped out because of what happened in December.

VeeJJ
Apr 16th, 2008, 03:12 AM
yeah. I agree. but this goes into a whole different story. personal i think that the russian mafia is pulling some strings, but w/e. she just really needs to get back on track, she is a good player.

homogenius
Apr 16th, 2008, 03:48 AM
She was solid enough mentally in Fed cup (beat opponent + the crowd).I don't think it's the problem.She tries to play differently than last year and it doesn't work.Her game sucks badly this year and she was lucky to win in Paris, but what happened to her this winter is not the reason IMO.

Hardiansf
Apr 16th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I don't know. it's not just her mental. But the way she play is different from the previous years. It's like 2004 Williams Sisters. Try to get to the next level, but failed. I really hope Anna can make it to be the elite player again. She has the capability to be it.

kris719
Apr 16th, 2008, 05:15 AM
She should be over the robbery by now. It's time for her to start fixing what's gone horribly wrong because she will beat nobody given the current state of her game. I really hope she turns it around soon.

Cp6uja
Apr 16th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Worst thing here is that this serious stressed incident with robbery, guns and tied-ups in her own home happen to Chaky, b/c no girl in WTA in last 10 years which her TOP10 status is so strongly connected with her mental abilities. If Ana lost that - she lose everything...

But good things is that she compete already next months after that (in Seles case after Hambourg shock Monica not played any match in that and whole next season) and also Anna is Psychology student and maybe that fact will be helpfull to her for recovering.

BTW is anybody else notice that she after 1/3 of this season still not reach enough money to compensate that 300.000$ robbery :help:... so even if she dont have mental consequences of that robbery she "played for nothing" 1st half of this season b/c that.

She was solid enough mentally in Fed cup (beat opponent + the crowd).I don't think it's the problem.She tries to play differently than last year and it doesn't work.Her game sucks badly this year and she was lucky to win in Paris, but what happened to her this winter is not the reason IMO.WTA is much different than ATP b/c influence of emotions on game is much bigger and also emotional efects of knif stabing or guns robbery is much harder on young womens than mens. Injury which Monica Seles have in Hambourg is actualy nothing special, but she never recover from mental trauma and she is never (on court) same person again. BTW Her reactions in that FED CUP match is for me good sign how she is changed. In 2007 she played cat-mouse game with every not TOP20 player and against non-TOP100 Obziler instead routine match she overreacted at every single point.

I don't know. it's not just her mental. But the way she play is different from the previous years. It's like 2004 Williams Sisters. Try to get to the next level, but failed. I really hope Anna can make it to be the elite player again. She has the capability to be it.Serena half-sister is killed at end of 2003 (i think at LA street guns attack) and maybe influence of that emotional shock for W-Sisters have sense to be compared here... not some "tactical" change or whatever... BTW at end of 2007 i think that Anna Chakvetadze is last player on tour which want to change anything. She probably feels perfect like worlds #6 and probably try to stand there.

tennnisfannn
Apr 16th, 2008, 08:25 AM
robbery especially is very traumatising, people do say after beng attacked they think they always see their their attackers in the crowd perhaps this is having an effect on her. That being said every top player seems to suffer a let down year after a major breakthrough. Kuzy had a brillian 04, on 05 could barely manage a win, myskina and Vera Z also struggled. Safina made top ten then faded away. Maria is the only one to not have had a let down up until last year though it was injury related. This is Anna's sophomore year.
Wow this could also be a Russian thing hahahha!

$uricate
Apr 16th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I dont know. I like Anna a lot but she hasn't been at the top for long enough to know if its the robbery thats affecting her or she is just a one-season wonder. Maybe people have figured out her game, but it looks more like shes changed her game and is not playing as smart as she once did. Her attitude is weird too, we used to see tears and fight but mot so much now. I dont like this newfound apathy she seems to have.
Anyway, she has time to get it together, maybe not now but after the clay season I hope.

Peterk07
Apr 16th, 2008, 10:36 AM
She was solid enough mentally in Fed cup (beat opponent + the crowd).I don't think it's the problem.She tries to play differently than last year and it doesn't work.Her game sucks badly this year and she was lucky to win in Paris, but what happened to her this winter is not the reason IMO.

I agree with you. I think the robbery has nothing to do with her slump. She showed mental strength in Fed Cup, and in Paris.

I think she realized that with her current game the Nr.5 spot is about the best she can reach. So she decided to "improve" her game. Who knows, maybe she is in a learning process, and it all will pay back in a few months time.

sonnys
Apr 16th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Worst thing here is that this serious stressed incident with robbery, guns and tied-ups in her own home happen to Chaky, b/c no girl in WTA in last 10 years which her TOP10 status is so strongly connected with her mental abilities. If Ana lost that - she lose everything...

But good things is that she compete already next months after that (in Seles case after Hambourg shock Monica not played any match in that and whole next season) and also Anna is Psychology student and maybe that fact will be helpfull to her for recovering.

BTW is anybody else notice that she after 1/3 of this season still not reach enough money to compensate that 300.000$ robbery :help:... so even if she dont have mental consequences of that robbery she "played for nothing" 1st half of this season b/c that.

WTA is much different than ATP b/c influence of emotions on game is much bigger and also emotional efects of knif stabing or guns robbery is much harder on young womens than mens. Injury which Monica Seles have in Hambourg is actualy nothing special, but she never recover from mental trauma and she is never (on court) same person again. BTW Her reactions in that FED CUP match is for me good sign how she is changed. In 2007 she played cat-mouse game with every not TOP20 player and against non-TOP100 Obziler instead routine match she overreacted at every single point.

Serena half-sister is killed at end of 2003 (i think at LA street guns attack) and maybe influence of that emotional shock for W-Sisters have sense to be compared here... not some "tactical" change or whatever... BTW at end of 2007 i think that Anna Chakvetadze is last player on tour which want to change anything. She probably feels perfect like worlds #6 and probably try to stand there.

A knife in the back is nothing special:eek::eek::eek:

I did not misunderstod you, but look the injury and the mental attack is kind of the same!!!

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 16th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Why do some of yall always take the most drastic idea and run with it.
If it isn't a black and white issue, it's something else. :lol:

I think there's a higher probability that the tour has figure out Chakvetadze's game then the robbery having a factor on her game.
Her game wasn't that hard to figure out in the first place and in my opinion she never was a true top 5 player.

She hasn't shown much growth. Her movement is the sloppiest of the top 10.
She doesn't have that much power and she's not that smart of a player.

Her schedule isn't the best, she's not a good clay court player so playing green clay without the ability to outhit or outthink an opponent is stupid.

If she works on her game and schedule she should still be a top 12 player.

InsideOut.
Apr 16th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I definitely think it affected her in the beginning of the season.
And that's why she had some poor losses.
Those poor losses led to lower confidence, which led to even more losses.

Wow that vicious cycle sounds horrible :eek:

No, I think she doesn't have a mental issue. She's trying to play differently, trying to get more power to outhit her opponents. Probably why she turned to Lansdorp in the first place.

kwilliams
Apr 16th, 2008, 01:44 PM
So what you think - is this Chaky case is some of WTA TOP10 slumps which we have couple every season, or we have something much deeper? And please dont post something like "she never deserve to be better ranked than Williams sisters" or whatever. That is not subject of this thread. In 2007 she have WTA 2nd best record (47-3) against non TOP20 players (after Henin) and her superior ability conected with her mental power to always beat worse opponent is so impressive. But since that incident no more her "brandname" stability, patience, confidence, mental supremacy and for example her record vs non-TOP20 players in 2008 is just pathetic (6-7) after 4 months of 2008...

What is your oppinion?

:tape: Damn it! How did you know???

She has mentioned the robbery in interviews, she may not have talked about it but she doesn't have to speak about something publicly to get passed it. I'm sure she has tried to deal with any problems this may have caused in her personal life by relying on friends and family. I don't think the robbery is necessarily the issue but it could be and it is almost certainly at least part of the issue. It could also be or partly be a comedown, many players lapse after their breakthrough year for a variety of reasons. At any rate what made 2007 for her was her post RG perfomances and all those tournament wins and I think the latter half of this year will be a better indicator as to whether or not she has become a 'headcase'. If she can't pull it together it will be disastrous for her ranking because she has big points to defend between RG and the USO (1,540 points of her 2,665 total points).

beriadan
Apr 16th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I think her slump started back in September after she almost beat Kuzy to get to the US Open final, and then you all know what happened.

Chris 84
Apr 16th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I think the robbery is part of it. Such an experience is always going to mess you up a bit, and I'm sure it has affected her proufoundly. However, it is probably not the only factor...

goldenlox
Apr 16th, 2008, 01:58 PM
She won Paria indoors. I think it's a slump. Everyone else has them.

The Daviator
Apr 16th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I think that Paris title is cursed, last 3 winners - Momo, Nadia and Chaky :tape:

perseus2006
Apr 16th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I never thought of the robbery influencing her game, it's clear something has, though!

AChak's solid play at Fed Cup could be explained by the security of the team environment. Shots of the sidelines showed her team exuberantly supporting her and egging on the aggressive play.

Whatever the issues, I hope she resolves them soon. I like the differences in her game compared with the other Top 10 girls.

SAEKeithSerena
Apr 16th, 2008, 03:00 PM
i feel bad for her. maybe it's also the pressure to follow-up. but i never thought she was that great anyway, i mean i respect her as a player, but with the top players healthy, this woman has no chance of winning a slam.

Lucyxx
Apr 16th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Slump.

She's losing in three sets to plausible opposition.

Kworb
Apr 17th, 2008, 01:15 AM
and also Anna is Psychology student and maybe that fact will be helpfull to her for recovering.
Psychology students are usually the most messed up in the head :tape:

tonybotz
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:43 AM
excellent thread. i think the only thing that will help her is time to heal. However long that takes is up to Chakvetadze.