PDA

View Full Version : Update on the Olympics

kittyking
Apr 15th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Combined two posts into one so here it goes

Olympic Entry List - http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=338416

Second part of the post

Mystery surrounds the prospects of New Zealand being represented at the tennis event of the Beijing Olympics. The media, on behalf of the tennis and sporting public, are becoming increasingly restless as to Marina Erakovic’s Olympic prospects. At a world WTA ranking of 84, and rising, tennis watchers could be excused for thinking that Marina would be a good chance for the world’s major sporting event.

The situation relating to Marina’s chances are as follows:

- With a current ranking of 84, Marina is approximately 67th on the Olympic order of merit. Seventeen of the players above her are from countries with more than four players in contention. (Only four players per country are allowed in the Olympic tennis singles and Russia, for example, have 13 players above Marina). It is also unknown at this stage which of the players above Marina will chose not to play.

- The top 56 are accepted by the ITF on ranking.

- One or two further good results by Marina prior to the June 9 deadline would likely place Marina in the top 56. The June 9 deadline includes the French Open, where Marina will debut this year.

- Even if Marina mkes the top 56 and is accepted by the ITF, and the IOC (International Olympic Committee), there is a chance that the NZOC (New Zealand Olympic Committee would not select Marina and she would not go. This is because the NZOC selection criteria is that a player should be in the top 16 in the ‘Olympic Context’ if they are to be selected.

- Tennis New Zealand is working with the NZOC and asking them to do everything within their powers to enable Marina a passage to Beijing if she makes the ITF and IOC cut-off.

The approach to the NZOC is based on:

- Marina’s rapid rise in 2008 and in fact improving from 160 to 84 in three months. With few points to protect until the Olympic cut-off there is a great chance for further improvement.

- Marina’s two WTA event semi-final results, her third round at the WTA Miami event, her win over Vera Zvonerova and her solid contests with Lindsay Davenport and Venus Williams.

- The fact that tennis is a multi-national sport, with two hundred nations, each with multiple international aspirants, striving for success.

- The fact that the NZOC have made an exception to its selection policy by selecting the Women’s Soccer team for development purposes and an eye toward London 2012.

On behalf of the tennis and sporting public, Tennis NZ will be doing what it can to help Marina’s Beijing cause. The first step however, is a few more good wins and securing a coveted place in that top 56.

Source: Tennisnz.com

Harvs
Apr 15th, 2008, 01:09 AM
i hope she makes it:):):)

kittyking
Apr 15th, 2008, 01:13 AM
...;12949312']i hope she makes it:):):)

So do I

Okay well that goes without saying, but if she does then she will become the first kiwi in exactly 20 years to compete in tennis at the Olympics :hearts:

Droolv
Apr 15th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Makiri not playing in Beijing? :confused: :sobbing:

Ben.
Apr 15th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Hopefully she can do it :D

Harvs
Apr 15th, 2008, 01:22 AM
dont forget stosur who will be using her injury ranking (44?) to get into the field:)

Wiggly
Apr 15th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Is this going to be the German scandal part II?

Tripp
Apr 15th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Giving her a WC doesn't sound like a crazy idea to me. Though I doubt the organizers will do it.

Hopefully she'll make it. Too bad she found some form just when the clay season kicked in. I believe that's not her best surface.

crazillo
Apr 15th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Sounds like Weingärtner and Barna in 2004...

Shouldn't this be in Erakovic's forum though? The thread-title is somewhat misleading as it JUST focuses on her and nobody else. At least edit the title, if possible.

njnetswill
Apr 15th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Only four players per country are allowed in the Olympic tennis singles and Russia, for example, have 13 players above Marina

:help: Poor Russian girls. :(

Spain of the WTA.

austennis
Apr 15th, 2008, 02:54 AM
What about Molik? her ranking isnt top 56 but shes reigning medalist? will they give her a wildcard?

kittyking
Apr 15th, 2008, 02:59 AM
...;12949376']dont forget stosur who will be using her injury ranking (44?) to get into the field:)

Thats a good question, which I've sent in an email to ITF (governing body of the Olympics). There is some talk that players may not be able to get into the Olympics off their injury ranking, because otherwise its feared some players close to the cutoff with points to defend would take 3 months out now in order to play at the Olympics based on their injury ranking.

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 15th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Thats a good question, which I've sent in an email to ITF (governing body of the Olympics). There is some talk that players may not be able to get into the Olympics off their injury ranking, because otherwise its feared some players close to the cutoff with points to defend would take 3 months out now in order to play at the Olympics based on their injury ranking.

:clap2:

sd3300123
Apr 15th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Yuan Meng ranks #4 in China

Really hope she can make it

kittyking
Apr 15th, 2008, 03:12 AM
:clap2:

Aww thanks :)

kittyking
Apr 15th, 2008, 03:16 AM
What about Molik? her ranking isnt top 56 but shes reigning medalist? will they give her a wildcard?

One of the continental wildcards will likely go to Oceania rather than Asia/Ocean (because Asia has an extra two wildcards for being the host). Could be a tight contest between Alicia Molik, Sam Stosur and Marina Erakovic for this. Theres always the chance all 3 could get in without the wildcard though, that could well free up a wildcard for Jess Moore (assuming that Rodionova doesn't change to represent Australia before June)

austennis
Apr 15th, 2008, 04:19 AM
One of the continental wildcards will likely go to Oceania rather than Asia/Ocean (because Asia has an extra two wildcards for being the host). Could be a tight contest between Alicia Molik, Sam Stosur and Marina Erakovic for this. Theres always the chance all 3 could get in without the wildcard though, that could well free up a wildcard for Jess Moore (assuming that Rodionova doesn't change to represent Australia before June)

Hey thx kitty... i dont see the wildcard going to Erakovic before Molik and Stouser given their prior results but hope whoever gets it is deserving

NyCPsU
Apr 15th, 2008, 04:35 AM
I found out today that I will definitely be going to the Olympics for at least a week for free!! :woohoo:

I should be able to go anywhere I want with a press pass too, so hopefully Ill be able to do reports when the time comes since I will definitely check on the tennis venue even for a little.

sd3300123
Apr 15th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I found out today that I will definitely be going to the Olympics for at least a week for free!! :woohoo:

I should be able to go anywhere I want with a press pass too, so hopefully Ill be able to do reports when the time comes since I will definitely check on the tennis venue even for a little.

Lucky you:o

For me who currently live in Beijing.
I will go to a tour,because here will extreme crowed then:o

kittyking
Apr 15th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Hey thx kitty... i dont see the wildcard going to Erakovic before Molik and Stouser given their prior results but hope whoever gets it is deserving

I completely agree with you, and to be perfectly honest I think Alicia or Sam would deserve it more because they have been very unlucky with injury :sad:

drake3781
Apr 15th, 2008, 07:54 AM
eleni probably out?

drake3781
Apr 15th, 2008, 07:57 AM

Latest Coalition Fatalities 04/14/08 DoD Identifies Army Casualty
Spc. William E. Allmon, 25, of Ardmore, Okla., died April 12 in Baghdad, Iraq, of wounds suffered when his vehicle encountered an improvised explosive device. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 64th Armor Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team... (http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=11835)
04/14/08 MNF: MND-B Soldier attacked by IED
A Multi-National Division – Baghdad Soldier was killed from wounds sustained when an IED struck the vehicle the Soldier was riding in while conducting a combat patrol in northeastern Baghdad at approximately 4:45 p.m. April 14. (http://www.mnf-iraq.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18465&Itemid=21)
04/14/08 MNF: Coalition force soldier attacked by IED
A Coalition force soldier was killed in an improvised explosive device attack in the Salah ad Din Province April 14. The name of the deceased is being withheld pending next of kin notification and release by the Department of Defense. (http://www.mnf-iraq.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18462&Itemid=21)
04/13/08 AP: US strike kills own soldiers in Baghdad
The US military says an Apache helicopter has accidentally destroyed one of its own armoured vehicles in eastern Baghdad. The military says the incident occurred yesterday afternoon, when the chopper spotted a group of four militants placing (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/us-strike-kills-own-soldiers-in-baghdad-808569.html)

kittyking
Apr 15th, 2008, 08:11 AM
eleni probably out?

She hasn't officially withdrawn from the Olympics, mind you she doesn't even need to enter for another 7 weeks

Boreas
Apr 15th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Srebotnik wont play Olympic tournament;)

NyCPsU
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Latest Coalition Fatalities 04/14/08 DoD Identifies Army Casualty
Spc. William E. Allmon, 25, of Ardmore, Okla., died April 12 in Baghdad, Iraq, of wounds suffered when his vehicle encountered an improvised explosive device. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 64th Armor Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team... (http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=11835)
04/14/08 MNF: MND-B Soldier attacked by IED
A Multi-National Division – Baghdad Soldier was killed from wounds sustained when an IED struck the vehicle the Soldier was riding in while conducting a combat patrol in northeastern Baghdad at approximately 4:45 p.m. April 14. (http://www.mnf-iraq.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18465&Itemid=21)
04/14/08 MNF: Coalition force soldier attacked by IED
A Coalition force soldier was killed in an improvised explosive device attack in the Salah ad Din Province April 14. The name of the deceased is being withheld pending next of kin notification and release by the Department of Defense. (http://www.mnf-iraq.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18462&Itemid=21)
04/13/08 AP: US strike kills own soldiers in Baghdad
The US military says an Apache helicopter has accidentally destroyed one of its own armoured vehicles in eastern Baghdad. The military says the incident occurred yesterday afternoon, when the chopper spotted a group of four militants placing (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/us-strike-kills-own-soldiers-in-baghdad-808569.html)

wtf? :confused:

NyCPsU
Apr 16th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Are there dates yet for the actual days tennis will be played or does anyone know where I could maybe find some type of schedule? I want to pair it up with the days Ill be there.

Harvs
Apr 16th, 2008, 02:24 AM
i would be suprised if molik doesnt get a wc:)

Harvs
Apr 16th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Are there dates yet for the actual days tennis will be played or does anyone know where I could maybe find some type of schedule? I want to pair it up with the days Ill be there.

aug 10th - 17th:)

Ben.
Apr 16th, 2008, 02:36 AM
the medal matches will be played on the 16th-17th august