PDA

View Full Version : Charleston - Family Circle Cup

smokovec
Apr 12th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Anna is 3rd seed here.

I don't expect too much after the last disappointing Tournaments, I hope only that Anna can play better.

smokovec
Apr 12th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Anna section of Draw:

D. Safina vs. bye
L. Dominguez Lino vs. Q
A. Morita vs. Ai Sugiyama
Y. Fedak vs. A. Szavay

M. Krajicek vs. A. Cornet
J. Ditty vs. S. Errani
S. Cirstea vs. V. King
A. Chakvetadze vs. bye

Wintermute
Apr 12th, 2008, 08:48 PM
No real opinion either way about this draw. We'll see what happens. It would be very good for Anna to win two matches because then she'll more than make up for the points she'll lose when Warsaw comes off.

goldenlox
Apr 12th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I'm not sure how good Cirstea is, but Cornet in round 3 will be tough for Anna.

VIKA?
Apr 12th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Luck Anna :D

peanuts
Apr 13th, 2008, 02:46 PM
No real opinion either way about this draw. We'll see what happens. It would be very good for Anna to win two matches because then she'll more than make up for the points she'll lose when Warsaw comes off.

Yeah. I am now reduced to hoping that Anna will at least win two consecutive matches in the same tournament. With her game going downhill, it's better to have very little expectations. :sad:

Pink Princess
Apr 13th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Come on Anna:bigclap::bigclap::bigclap:

Spiritof42
Apr 14th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Yes, better to keep our expectations to a minimum. Anna might get through Sorana (or not), but then would probably face Cornet and I don't like Anna's chances against her on clay right now. :tape:

fOxYLiCiOuS
Apr 14th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Chakvetadze vs Cirstea :hearts:

Good luck Anna! :kiss: :hug:

RsaibotD
Apr 15th, 2008, 02:26 AM
let's win this Anna ;)

savitri
Apr 15th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Good Luck ANNA!!!

goldenlox
Apr 15th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Anna down *24

goldenlox
Apr 15th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Down 26 to Cirstea

goldenlox
Apr 15th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Anna trying to fight back 26 *40

Noelia
Apr 15th, 2008, 05:49 PM
ufff 6-1 in the second set:D

goldenlox
Apr 15th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Anna breaks to start the 3rd *10

goldenlox
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Cirstea breaks back 22*

GeorgianFan
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:08 PM
2-2 :scared:

Petkorazzi
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:10 PM
2-3. :rolleyes:

Hold Anna!

GeorgianFan
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:19 PM
2-4 :o

goldenlox
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Anna has lost 4 straight games 24*

GeorgianFan
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:21 PM
2-5 :sad:

goldenlox
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Anna is in a huge slump. She's losing to very ordinary players. Lisicki, Cirstea.
This is terrible.

GeorgianFan
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:28 PM
she lost :hysteric: :hysteric: :hysteric: :hysteric: :hysteric:

Pink Princess
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:33 PM
:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

Wintermute
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Anna's definitely slumping badly now. I couldn't work out how her season was going at the beginning of the year, what with the win in Paris. But it now looks like that is the anomaly in her season.

The first set stats were horrific. With Anna's ability she should have killed this match off in straight sets. The second set was how she needed to play all the way through. It's not pretty.

Bring on the grass.

Pink Princess
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Anna is in a deep crisis!!!

Noelia
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:50 PM
:weirdo::help::sobbing: Yeah, Ana is in crisis, not rose head. Look a good trainer Anna:hug:

Shoulderpova
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Anna :confused: off to a great start to the clay season :tape:
dunno what she is up to these days. Certainly not to saving her energy for RG :tape:
Stop being generous and being everybody's career best win :help:

adrovi
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Anna :sad::sad::confused:

Wintermute
Apr 15th, 2008, 07:03 PM

:lol: Yes this is also true. It's Sorana's first defeat of a Top 10 player I think.

itzhak
Apr 15th, 2008, 07:06 PM
The problem of Anna is that she is playing now with a very rush style. she is not thinking between points, she is playing too quick, no time for refresh and think what to do in the next point. Somebody have to tell her to wait few more seconds between points, take a breathe and only then start her next point...

Noelia
Apr 15th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Yeah, you have the whole reason,as Nadal, but without being so slow.

goldenlox
Apr 15th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I thought Anna should play IW, where Galina and Rodina reached round 3.
But the way she's playing, she can't beat anyone.
Anna probably needs a coach to look at her footwork and mechanics.
There's probably a lot of little things going wrong now

PMRD44
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:54 PM
We do need to be wary about overvaluing small sample sizes; Anna, without making any adjustments whatsoever, is and will be better than this. I imagine her slump is derivative from some residual effect from her injury, the tragic home invasion and just randomness (every athlete, everywhere has hot and cold periods).

That being said, there's no denying that there is much to work on particularly in the area of serving. I also agree with the suggestions of Anna bringing in outside help in the form of a physio and/or coach.

Wintermute
Apr 15th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Third seed Anna Chakvetadze was sent crashing out of the Family Circle Cup by Romanian teenager Sorana Cirstea.

"She just pushed the ball back and I made mistakes," said a disappointed Chakvetadze, who had a first-round bye.

BBC Sport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7349639.stm)

goldenlox
Apr 16th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Chakvetadze, won her seventh tour title indoors at Paris earlier this year, faced Cirstea on a blustery day. Temperatures were in the high 50s and winds gusted to more than 30 mph, but Chakvetadze wasn’t blaming the conditions.

“She just pushed the ball back and I made mistakes,” she said. “I think it’s just the way I’m playing right now.”

peanuts
Apr 16th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Chakvetadze, won her seventh tour title indoors at Paris earlier this year, faced Cirstea on a blustery day. Temperatures were in the high 50s and winds gusted to more than 30 mph, but Chakvetadze wasn’t blaming the conditions.

“She just pushed the ball back and I made mistakes,” she said. “I think it’s just the way I’m playing right now.”

As I said before in reply to Anna's post-match comments in Miami, at least she's very much aware of how bad she has been playing. Now it's just a matter of figuring out how to get it together (whethere to get a coach, or to pull out of tournaments and give herself more time to work on her game).

I know I've been more of a defeatist lately on Anna's chances but the season is long and clay is her least favorite surface. Also, Anna has always strike me as the type who thinks a lot, the brainy kind. I still think she'll come up with something to get herself out of this slump.

Spiritof42
Apr 16th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Anna kept the DFs under control this time, but still got broken 8 times (again) :help:
And losing the last 6 games of the match after winning the 2nd set easily and taking an early lead in the third? :help::help::help:
Sigh...

peanuts
Apr 16th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Anna :confused: off to a great start to the clay season :tape:
dunno what she is up to these days. Certainly not to saving her energy for RG :tape:

Anna and Marion share that honor this season. :help:

HowardH
Apr 16th, 2008, 03:42 PM
At this stage it is probably more mental for Anna than anything else. Sorana is a pretty talented player though, probably with a good future, so I don't think this loss is as bad as some of her other losses- but at this stage I'm not sure whether who the opponent is really matters for Anna.

I kind of understand Marion struggling, since if her big shots aren't quite working, she's in trouble because she moves so poorly. But I would have thought Anna could still win matches even without her A game. I guess not at the moment. Her game and her mind are a little out of sync right now, she can't find what she needs at the important moments. But you know what? She'll probably shock us all by suddenly sparking into form and beating people left and right sometime soon... okay maybe not that soon... but we can hope right? :) She's young, so she's got time on her side.

peanuts
Apr 17th, 2008, 01:53 AM
But you know what? She'll probably shock us all by suddenly sparking into form and beating people left and right sometime soon... okay maybe not that soon... but we can hope right? :) She's young, so she's got time on her side.

Yeah. :)

Here's what I think of Anna's game right now: Is she in a terrible slump? Yes. Is she headed for a major career fallout? No. The title in Paris, regardless of how weak the competition was, reminds me that Anna can still come up with a semi-decent game to win matches and titles like that.

Now if she's still playing the same crap at the end of this year that's when I'll get very worried for her future in the tour. I sincerely hope she doesn't pull a Petrova and lose her passion for the game or whatever it is that Nadia is giving as a reason for her struggles since last year. (Sorry if I digress. I just miss the Nadia of 2006 that's all)