PDA

View Full Version : Amelia Island 2008

peanuts
Apr 5th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Anna's first clay court tournament of the year. (As of writing, she is still in the main draw.) With Sharapova and Venus in, she'll be the second or third seed so a bye in the first round. Let's see if she can bounce back from the horrendous showing in Miami (and in the other tournaments before as well :tape: :help: ). ;)

lilimi
Apr 6th, 2008, 09:02 AM
i really hope she will do well. is the draw out?

smokovec
Apr 6th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Anna section of Draw:

A. Radwanska (POL) bye
G. Dulko (ARG) vs. E. Gallovits (ROU)
S. Cirstea (ROU) vs. Q
A. Mauresmo (FRA) vs. Q

V. Azarenka (BLR) vs. S. Errani (ITA)
D. Cibulkova (SVK) vs. Q
N. Dechy (FRA) vs. Q
A. Chakvetadze (RUS) bye

I think Anna can win the first Match, but then an interesting 3rd Round againts Cibulkova or Azarenka.

It's also the first Tournament on green clay for Anna.

peanuts
Apr 6th, 2008, 11:51 AM
^^Anna has beaten Dechy in Paris last February so it goes to show that even a slumping Anna can beat her but given how things have been getting worse lately I ain't too sure. :shrug: I don't even want to think what will happen if she faces Cibulkova. That girl refuses to hit an unforced error. :help: :scared:

And thanks for pointing out that this is Anna's first time in green clay. I wasn't aware of that one. :)

Alex72
Apr 6th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I saw her on the practice courts yesterday. She did one session with Dinara, one with Alona until the heavy rain started. She looks great as usual. I have pictures but don`t know how to post them.

peanuts
Apr 6th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I saw her on the practice courts yesterday. She did one session with Dinara, one with Alona until the heavy rain started. She looks great as usual. I have pictures but don`t know how to post them.

Hi there Alex! When I post pictures on this board I first upload it to an image hosting site, like http://photobucket.com or http://imageshack.us. After you've uploaded it there go back here and simply click on the Insert Image icon (the yellow one with the mountain drawing) above the message window. A pop-up window will open, you can then copy and paste the URL of the uploaded picture on the pop-up window then click OK. You should now be able to see the actual picture inside the message window and post it along with your written message.

I hope that helps and looking forward to seeing Anna's pictures. Thanks!! :) :)

TennisPlayingFox
Apr 6th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I think Anna has a pretty good draw. Azarenka or Cibulkova could be tough but I think Anna will get through to at least the quarters. Good luck Anna!

Wintermute
Apr 6th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I've no idea how this week is gonna go. The draw is irrelevant.

Anna could reach the final, then again she could lose her first match. Right now I don't know. All I know is Anna is not defending any points this week so maybe with the pressure off she will perform. It'll be interesting to see whether she takes to green clay.

peanuts
Apr 7th, 2008, 01:50 AM
They say artificial green clay is faster than red clay and Anna seems to do better on fast courts (indoor carpet, grass, hard) so this court may suit her game. :shrug:

Spiritof42
Apr 7th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Definitely looking forward to a possible 3rd-round match with either Vika or Dominika.

Let's hope Anna means business and shows some maturity on the court.

fOxYLiCiOuS
Apr 7th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Goodluck Anna :kiss: :hearts: :smooch:

Pink Princess
Apr 7th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Otlichno Anna:bigclap::bigclap::bigclap:

GeorgianFan
Apr 7th, 2008, 07:13 PM
go Anna! :rocker2:

Wintermute
Apr 7th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Anna's first opponent is qualifier Ayumi Morita.

goldenlox
Apr 7th, 2008, 07:43 PM
After losing to Lisicki, you never know.
But this sounds like a winnable match

peanuts
Apr 8th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Morita..a player Anna has never played. This can be trouble. :unsure: Anna must win this and play Cibulkova or Azarenka, either of those two will be a good test for her.

Pink Princess
Apr 8th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Schedule of Play for Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Stadium Court: 11:00 AM Start

1.Singles: 2nd Round

Ayumi Morita (JPN) Q vs. Anna Chakvetadze(RUS) [2]

GL in her debut!!!

Spiritof42
Apr 9th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Morita played 3 tight tie-breaks during qualies and won them all. I've never seen her play, but she seems to be a good fighter. She's young, having just turned 18, and has nothing to lose. Time for Anna to teach her a lesson :lol:

Good luck! :rocker2:

peanuts
Apr 9th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Most Asian players are good fighters on court. Maybe it's because they're always at a disadvantage with their size. Rallies are prolonged and they never give up until the last point. If Anna ups her UE count, she will have her work cut out for her.

Noelia
Apr 9th, 2008, 04:02 PM
6-3 3-1:D Davai Anna!

goldenlox
Apr 9th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Anna won 63 61

Wintermute
Apr 9th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I'm glad Anna won and it's a one-sided scoreline but looking at the stats there seem to be some problems.

The stats show Anna got 53% first serves in. She served 3 aces, 9 double faults and was broken three times.

Her serve still looks like a bit of a liability. Perhaps she's going for too much on it. Morita only held serve once; against a better opposition Anna would be putting herself in trouble with all the DFs. Maybe she needs to take a touch off her second serve? Without the DFs the score would probably be more like 6-0 6-1 today.

GeorgianFan
Apr 9th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Anna :yeah:

RsaibotD
Apr 9th, 2008, 08:59 PM
congrats Anna;), according to the stats we can see that Anna had "some" troubles with her service
again, Morita only won 1 game with her service :rolleyes:.... the score could have been 6-0 6-0 :p

VIKA?
Apr 9th, 2008, 09:03 PM
well done Anna:D

Pink Princess
Apr 9th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I'm glad Anna won and it's a one-sided scoreline but looking at the stats there seem to be some problems.

The stats show Anna got 53% first serves in. She served 3 aces, 9 double faults and was broken three times.

Her serve still looks like a bit of a liability. Perhaps she's going for too much on it. Morita only held serve once; against a better opposition Anna would be putting herself in trouble with all the DFs. Maybe she needs to take a touch off her second serve? Without the DFs the score would probably be more like 6-0 6-1 today.

This is what I thought few minutes ago.

congrats Anna;), according to the stats we can see that Anna had "some" troubles with her service
again, Morita only won 1 game with her service :rolleyes:.... the score could have been 6-0 6-0 :p

I agreed!!!

Anna plays in 3rd Round against Dominika Cibulkova.

Otlichno Anna!!!

goldenlox
Apr 9th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Anna plays the evening match, 24 hours from when I post this

peanuts
Apr 10th, 2008, 01:51 AM
This may sound mean but I find it funny that Morita only held serve once in the entire match. I know Anna is a great returner but that's still embarrassing. I agree to those who say that Morita could have been bageled if Anna had serve well. :lol: Anna got away with her terrible serving this time. ;)

Next round against Cibulkova, now I'm going to be my usual defeatist self and predict that Anna will lose to Cibulkova.

I hope I'm way way wrong about it.

Foot's Fingers
Apr 10th, 2008, 01:18 PM
i am afraid of match vs Cibulkova :tape:

Wintermute
Apr 10th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Anna's comments after defeating Morita:

"I didn't really play as well as I wanted to play. But I think for the first match in this tournament and the first match on green clay, it was OK. I could do worse."

BBC Sport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7340016.stm)

Spiritof42
Apr 10th, 2008, 04:27 PM
The sailing definitely wasn't as smooth as the score would suggest. Anna's serving woes continue, and she has little chance of winning this tournament serving like that. Morita's serve must be truly terrible.

Cibulkova is a great fighter who never gives up (must have something to do with small size, as peanuts said ;)). She showed it again against Azarenka when she came back from 0-4 in the 1st set to win it 7-5. There were 14 breaks of serve in that match. I expect Anna vs Domi to be another "break-fest". :tape:

Noelia
Apr 10th, 2008, 05:51 PM
A lot of luck today Anna:),Difficult rival..

GeorgianFan
Apr 10th, 2008, 09:11 PM
davai Anna :rocker2:

savitri
Apr 10th, 2008, 10:22 PM
good luck Anna!!

peanuts
Apr 11th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Anna's comments after defeating Morita:

"I didn't really play as well as I wanted to play. But I think for the first match in this tournament and the first match on green clay, it was OK. I could do worse."

BBC Sport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7340016.stm)

:tape: :help: At least Anna is well aware of the horrendous form she's been showing us in the last 3 months. :lol:

Anyways, Lindsay vs Sprem lasted an eternity so Anna is just starting her match that is originally scheduled at 7pm. I'm expecting Anna to tank the match if she loses a tight first set. Cibulkova may not have the weapons to blow Anna off the court but as Spirit have pointed out she is a very tough competitor and plays a high percentage game so if Anna goes on error fest mode this match will be over sooner than expected.

RsaibotD
Apr 11th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Anna lost 6-3 2-6 6-1 against Dominika....

GeorgianFan
Apr 11th, 2008, 09:58 AM
2-6 6-3 1-6 :sobbing:

goldenlox
Apr 11th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Anna is having a difficult year. I think she should take time off. Whatever she's doing isn't working.
Try different rackets and strings. Rest the minor injuries.
She's getting no points like this.

savitri
Apr 11th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Anna :sad:

peanuts
Apr 11th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Oh dear another expected loss. It's frustrating to know that just last year Anna was one of the most consistent players on tour. Now she's no different from Bartoli, when any loss to a lesser ranked opponent is hardly an upset and both of them are soon to be out of the top 10. So sad. :(

03 RuleTheCourt
Apr 11th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Anna is having a difficult year. I think she should take time off. Whatever she's doing isn't working.
Try different rackets and strings. Rest the minor injuries.
She's getting no points like this.

I wouldn't exactly change the Zero Tolerance from Fischer, since she performed quite well with it at the YEC inMadrid.
But i would recommend her testing the new O3 SpeedPort White from Prince, she might get a bit more "zone" back without
pushing her too much.Concerning strings, well .. hmm i think she's best avoiding the over-topspin generators and go for
the powershot type of gut. But ofcourse she knows all of this better than any of us here on the board.

Wintermute
Apr 11th, 2008, 04:16 PM
A few things:

Firstly, bad result. Last year, Anna almost always beat the lower ranked player and this year she's losing to Lisicki and Cibulkova. Admittedly they are up-and-comers but Anna's Top 10 for now and she needs to play like she knows it in order to stay there.

Her stats from last night:
4 aces
11 DFs
1st serve % - 45%
She was broken 8 times.
Anna broke Dominika 5 times.

Anna needs to get with a coach and change her service action. It's a liability. Last year she was managing to get by with the solidity of the rest of her game but this year it's costing her matches.

I don't think changing her racquet will help. Anna has said before that she doesn't really care about with racquet she uses. She's contracted to Fischer until December anyway.

In terms of rankings this tournament has actually not changed anything. She's picked up the same number of points as she had in Berlin so that's now her 18th best result. Her Warsaw points are gonna come off which is why she's playing Charleston. She really needs to make the QFs there.

Spiritof42
Apr 11th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Oh, Anna. :sad: I just *knew* she was going to tank the 3rd set after giving away the 1st game by hitting 3 DFs. :mad:

A top 10 player should be able to hold serve at least half the time, even on the WTA. :help: The "break-fests" have to stop. And she needs to stop trying to become a ball-basher, play smarter, and get back to what got her there in the 1st place. She's been hitting tons of UEs this year. She's basically hitting two 1st serves (I think about half her aces are on 2nd serve), and it's not paying off. She's not thinking straight on the court right now. I don't think it's about equipment either.

03 RuleTheCourt
Apr 11th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Oh, She's not thinking straight on the court right now. I don't think it's about equipment either.

hmm it might be a pure mental issue .. breakdown, pain, .. or even worse "love" ... there are so many possible causes that could
be on her mind. Ofcourse none of our business actually. :sad:

peanuts
Apr 12th, 2008, 12:01 AM
One thing for sure, as most people here has pointed out, is that Anna is playing a much lower percentage game than she was last year, a much more aggressive and error-prone game. I'm not sure if it's intentional or something that she doesn't realize she's actually doing. I'm leaning towards the former, since she has been playing like this since the year started.

The question for me is if Anna has a strategy behind of all this, maybe she thinks she'll get the hang of playing like this and win matches? She seems to be insisting on playing this type of game even if it's not working. :shrug: Now if it's unintentional then that would be more sad for me because that means Anna is struggling to control what's happening with her game right now and that is a much bigger problem. :sad:

Spiritof42
Apr 12th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Last year, I remember Robert Lansdorp talking about how he wanted to "streamline" Anna's game, so to speak. He thought she actually had too much variety on her shots (never hitting the same ball twice, according to him). My first reaction was: gee, I hope he won't try to transform Anna into a line-painting ball basher, because it's not going to work. As far as I know Anna doesn't spend that much time with him, but I still think he probably has had something to do with the changes to her ground game.

smokovec
Apr 13th, 2008, 02:30 PM
The only thing that disappoint me (excluding recent bad results obviously) now is that Anna force this 2nd serve and the result it's only a lot of Double faults.

Referring to Anna-Radwanska match in Dubai that I see on tv I don't find many differencies in Anna's gamestyle, she only makes more errors and the balls normally she put near the lines go often off the court, when she plays well she control the game and move the opponent side to side, now because she makes too many errors she goes sometimes for more 'secure' shots in the middle, without searching the angles.

HowardH
Apr 15th, 2008, 08:37 AM
The only thing that disappoint me (excluding recent bad results obviously) now is that Anna force this 2nd serve and the result it's only a lot of Double faults.

Referring to Anna-Radwanska match in Dubai that I see on tv I don't find many differencies in Anna's gamestyle, she only makes more errors and the balls normally she put near the lines go often off the court, when she plays well she control the game and move the opponent side to side, now because she makes too many errors she goes sometimes for more 'secure' shots in the middle, without searching the angles.

I haven't been able to see Anna's recent matches but what you are saying makes total sense to me. I agree that Anna needs to find a more consistent 2nd serve- I would like to see her spin the 2nd serve more to make it safer. And she needs her "near the line" shots to go in. It is those accurate, angled and well-placed shots that have made her a top 10 player.