PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay ws written about in this week SI Mailbag

Lindsayfan32
Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
Here is a question that was put to Jon Werthierm about Lindsay. Just thought it might be something for the board to chew over as there are at least 6 days before Lindsay starts in AI. Here it is.

EY BISCAYNE, Fla. -- What do you see Lindsay Davenport accomplishing before she eventually retires? I think she could definitely bag another Slam. Davenport has always been a top competitor and could likely get hot at a Slam and take the title. People are quick to forget what a consistently elite player she was before her hiatus and still is. On the right day she could still beat anyone in the world, including Justin Henin, Maria Sharapova and Serena and Venus Williams.
-- Mike, Nepal
Not sure if your question was submitted before or after Davenport ran roughshod over the world's second-ranked player, Ana Ivanovic. But that win said plenty. As for her chances of winning a Slam, I wouldn't rule it out by any stretch. She still hits a big ball -- not just hard, but oppressively deep -- and has fashioned a game that masks her movement. The extra day to rest between rounds would really help her too.
But this reminds me a bit of the discussion a few weeks back about Pete Sampras. He can beat virtually anyone on any given day. But can he return for the next match and sustain that level of play? In Davenport's case, 24 hours after beating Ivanovic here in Key Biscayne, she wilted in straight sets against Dinara Safina.
And apart from the physical component, Davenport still has that unfortunate habit of getting so down on herself when the match isn't going her way. It's really a fascinating tic: A player otherwise mature, self-possessed and grounded becomes irrationally negative. All college psych majors: There's a senior thesis here.

I didn't see the Safina match could someone please tell me was there any truth to the last line.

dav abu
Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
thank you for posting this question :)I think his answer is fair enough tbh.. Lindsay has the ability and the game but can she manage match after match?! I dont know at the mo -the Safina loss after beating Ana has left me scratching my head:confused:

Lindsayfan32
Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:41 PM
thank you for posting this question :)I think his answer is fair enough tbh.. Lindsay has the ability and the game but can she manage match after match?! I dont know at the mo -the Safina loss after beating Ana has left me scratching my head:confused:

Lindsay said herself that she prides herself on following up big wins with another win and doesn't normally have a let down and it hasn't happened in a long time but the depth in the women's tennis has never been better and Safina can be a dangerous player on her day. But I totally agree with you it left me scratching my head too. But there is Amelia Island next week . New tournament new possibilities.