PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open 2008 qualifying / Articles about Jelena

andrewbroad
Mar 22nd, 2008, 12:02 AM
===============
AUSTRALIAN OPEN (Melbourne, Australia; outdoor hard (Plexicushion); Grand Slam)
=============== http://www.australianopen.com/
Contents
--------

1. Photos
2. Qualifying: First round
3. Qualifying: Second round
4. Article: Dokić Still Chasing Her Dreams
5. Article: Remember Her? WTA players who fell off the map

---------
1. Photos
---------

Jelena Dokić:
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/players/wta040344.html

--------------------------
2. Qualifying: First round (Thursday 10th January)
--------------------------

+ Jelena Dokić [WC,EF] d. Marina Eraković, 6-4 6-1

Jelena Dokić wins first-round qualifier
By Bronwen Largier <www.australianopen.com>
>>>
Arguably one of the most controversial matches of the day went over with barely a scream today as Jelena Dokić prevailed over New Zealander Marina Eraković: 6-4 6-1.

While Dokić sounded as though she was struggling for breath in the heat a good deal more than her opponent, this is hardly surprising given she has only been back on the court since October after a seven-month self-imposed hiatus from the sport.

The first set was neck and neck, with the match going on serve until Dokić was up 5-4.

She converted her second break-point in the next game after Eraković hit the ball long.

This seemed to be a tendency of Eraković: to hit the ball out on crucial points; she also struggled to capitalise on her opportunities to break her opponent's serve, converting none of her four break-points.

Both players had good court-coverage and managed to push the other around the court.

However, with a set under her belt, Dokić proceeded to make light work of the second set, conceding only one game to her increasingly frustrated opponent.
<<<

Dokić thrilled to be back in the game
By Adele Holland <www.australianopen.com>
>>>
Jelena Dokić thought she would never pick up a racquet again, after she had two and half years off from competing in WTA Tour tournaments.

In a press-conference following her defeat of New Zealander Marina Eraković, Dokić spoke of her personal battle with her will to play tennis, and the struggle to get back in form to play Grand Slam tennis.

"I feel like I've been through Hell and back, so this is good fun for me right now. If I win, I'm really happy, but if I lose, then at the end of the day it's just a tennis-match," she said.

Dokić said she has only recently made the decision that she wanted to play competitively again. "I didn't have the will to play, and I was very tired, and then all of a sudden I just clicked one day and I thought I want to do this again."

Since Dokić arrived in Australia in mid-October, she has lost around 16 kilograms.

"I have a little more to go, obviously... but I'm very proud of myself."

"Before I got here, I didn't touch a racquet or do any kind any running or fitness for about 7 months," she said.

Dokić had no expectations leading into the Australian Open 2008. "If you had [told] me a month ago that I would do as well as did in Hobart and even winning my first match here, I would have been pretty happy."
<<<

---------------------------
3. Qualifying: Second round (Friday 11th January)
---------------------------

- Jelena Dokić [WC,EF] lt. TAMARINE TANASUGARN [6], 2-6 1-6

Dokić down and out
By Tristan Foenander <www.australianopen.com>
>>>
Jelena Dokić's hopes of gaining a spot in the Australian Open main draw were dashed today as Thailand's Tamarine Tanasugarn easily accounted for the Aussie in straight sets: 6-2 6-1.

One of most anticipated matches of the day turned out to be a one-sided affair as Dokić was completely outclassed by her Thai opponent.

Both players held their opening service-games, but Tanasugarn, the No.6 seed, wasted no time in applying pressure to the Aussie's serve.

After breaking Dokić's next two service-games, the Thai quickly established a good lead, and soon raced away with the set 6-2.

Things looked ominous again early in the second set as Dokić dropped her first two service-games.

Tanasugarn was relentless in her pursuit of victory, and had no intention of letting Dokić back in to the match, forging well ahead to sail to victory 6-1.

Dokić said that she felt lethargic and did not handle the blustery conditions.

"After the first game, I was a little bit slower than usual and they just kind of carried on," she said.

"The conditions were not easy, and I didn't handle them very well."
<<<

Jelena: "I was disappointed they didn't even take me into consideration [for a main-draw wild card], but that's the way Tennis Australia does things."

------------------------------------------
4. Article: Dokić Still Chasing Her Dreams
------------------------------------------

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=1983
Friday 18th January 2008
>>>
MELBOURNE, Australia - Although her quest to retake the Grand Slam stage was cut short as she lost during Australian Open qualifying, former Top 5 player Jelena Dokić still made her way back to the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour limelight a week before at Hobart. And despite all the setbacks, non-believers and a fairly removed sense of confidence, she still believes she can do it again.

Following an excellent junior-career, which included a US Open singles-title and a Roland Garros runner-up finish (to Nadia Petrova), Dokić first made a stir on the Tour with a shock 6-2 6-0 upset win over then-world No.1 Martina Hingis in the first round of Wimbledon in 1999. In the seasons to follow, she pretty much accomplished it all: won Tour titles (five in singles, four in doubles), cracked the Top 10 in both disciplines (going as high as No.4 in singles and No.10 in doubles), and clearly asserting herself as one of the most promising young stars in the women's game.

As quickly as it all came, however, it went.

"The last couple of years were tough for me," said Dokić, who dropped out of the Top 100 in 2004, and has not been back inside since. "I had some personal issues off the court that I was trying to sort out, and I just couldn't give tennis the focus I wanted. I wanted to give it 100% before coming back - and right now I feel I'm at that stage."

Having barely played over the last few years - and playing only one match in 2007 - an unranked Dokić needed a wildcard just to enter the qualifying-draw at the Moorilla Hobart International the week before the Australian Open. It would end up being a breakout-performance, as she won three matches to reach the main draw (including two wins over top-100 players) and then beat world No.54 Martina Müller in the first round of the main draw to make the second round.

"I really didn't expect to make it that far, and I don't think a lot of people were expecting me to even make it through my first qualifying-match," Dokić added. "But I beat three players in three days, and won my first-round match as well. I really exceeded my expectations, and I'm really excited."

After four straight days of play, disaster struck, however. Dokić aggravated a right-ankle injury during the first set of her second match against Flavia Pennetta, and retired: a disappointing end to a marvellous comeback-week.

"I hurt it in my first round but aggravated it there," Dokić said afterwards. "It was obviously great to come back in Australia, but it was pretty tough to do so at a Tour-level event. I had some tough opponents and I was playing hard all week. But it went far better than I thought it would - I'm really pleased."

Dokić got a wildcard into Australian Open qualifying and won her first match, but fell in her second match to Tamarine Tanasugarn. With the sudden spike in play, however, it's not unheard of that a comeback suffers a setback like that. And the big-hitting Australian certainly isn't letting that cast a shadow on her 2008 goals.

"My goal at the start of the season was to make it back into the world's top 50, but of course, as you saw, I'm going to be prone to injuries the next few months probably, just because I haven't played this much in the last two years.

"What I really miss about playing on the Tour is the competition. Day in and day out just playing points and matches, and seeing how I can do against the other players. In Hobart, I think I showed that I still have the desire. And I'm looking forward to playing this year out."
<<<

----------------------------------------------------------
5. Article: Remember Her? WTA players who fell off the map
----------------------------------------------------------

By Robert Waltz and Kamakshi Tandon
14th February 2008
http://tennis.com/features/general/features.aspx?id=119078
>>>
JELENA DOKIĆ
------------

Career-high ranking: No. 4 (19th August 2002)
2007 year-end ranking: Unranked

WHAT HAPPENED: Dokić looked like she was soon destined to be a fixture in the top 5 after pulling off a historic upset of defending champ Martina Hingis in the first round of Wimbledon in 1999 and winning Rome two years later. But the warning-signs had already started to appear, with Dokić changing her nationality from Australian to Yugoslav under the influence of her notorious father Damir. She eventually broke away from him, and her career appeared to be on the right track for the next couple of years, but another dubious relationship soon emerged as a pair of brothers took over as coach and boyfriend, respectively. Bothered by an elbow-injury, she lost her last nine matches in 2004, and was playing qualifying by the middle of 2005. The following year, she reverted back to Australian citizenship and re-established ties with Tennis Australia, but played just one match in 2007.

OUTLOOK: Not optimistic yet, but potential for optimism

2008 has begun as a re-run of 2006 with Dokić returning Down Under and experiencing success, reaching the second round at Hobart as a qualifier but having to withdraw with an ankle-injury. She also had to withdraw from the Australian Open wildcard-playoffs with a thigh-injury, and also did not manage to qualify. And she hasn't played since.

[Other players in the full article: Dája Bedáňová, Elena Bovina, Jennifer Capriati, Anna-Lena Grönefeld, Martina Hingis, Sesil Karatantcheva, Anna Kournikova, Lina Krasnoroutskaya, Mirjana Lučić, Anastasia Myskina, Mary Pierce, Chanda Rubin, Monica Seles, Karolina Šprem, Alexandra Stevenson and Iroda Tulyaganova]
<<<

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/dokic/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Jelena_Dokic_Players_Lounge/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Jelena_Dokic_Players_Lounge_II/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/