PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Shahar chances to bounce back?

justine schnyder
Mar 20th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Well she's out of form this year, there's no doubt about that.
I think it's because she shouldn't be coached by Urpy (In what tournys he was with her anyway?!) And Martinez. As long as she with them She'lll continue to suck because they give her noting.
What do you guys thunk? Discuss.

Pennsylvania
Mar 20th, 2008, 03:15 PM
From the beginning I questioned just how much mental toughness Martinez could bring. She was a top 3 player, a GS winner, but I never thought of her as being aggressive and consistent.

Shahar in the past was able to dig deep and come from behind on a consistent basis to win a match. She should have won her third round match at IW. She has GOT to be more aggressive with players - even if she played doubles with them and counts them as a friend.

Her serve is a problem and hopefully, she is working on that. A good coach can help - but only the player can improve. Without seeing Martinez in action at a coaching session I can only guess. Personally, I'd like to see her with someone like Brad Gilbert. Very tough - very aggressive who pushes, pushes, pushes. However, I remember reading an article late last year about her travel demands. If I remember correctly it struck me that she was looking more for a friend/ big sister to travel with her to keep her company and do tings with.

To me she has two areas she really needs to work on. (1) the serve and (2) being very aggressive on court.

Last summer and fall was weak for her and she has very little points to defend (outside of the US Open) so she can build on that. Right now it looks like she will be in the 17-32 range. With the points she lost at IW and the points she has to defend in Miami it looks more like 25-32.

Meteor Shower
Mar 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
I'm not sure.. Shahar has replaced many coaches, so I think only she knows which coach is best for her.
Shahar needs a good turnament in Miami badly though :(

craverojor
Mar 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
I´m not sure, but shahar good luck !