PDA

View Full Version : Indian Wells & some other big US tournaments ...

Iceland
Mar 11th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I hope that the United States will bring her more luck than the Middle East. She really needs to win matches now :unsure:.

Iceland
Mar 11th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Sybille Bammer AUT [11] has a Bye
Qualifier vs. Yung-Jan Chan TPE
Gisela Dulko ARG vs. Qualifier
Lindsay Davenport USA [24] has a Bye

Olga Govortsova RUS [29] has a Bye
Ekaterina Bychkova RUS vs. Angelique Kerber GER
Elena Vesnina RUS vs. Su-Wei Hsieh TPE
Marion Bartoli FRA [6] has a Bye

Hmm, what a draw :o!
I don't want to look too far anyway, just a couple of wins here would be enough for me already. She has 4th round points to defend, I hope she reaches at least this goal. She definitely has to make it ... I will comment on this more once we know her 2nd round opponent.
Good luck Marion!

Schnyderfreak
Mar 11th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Looking at this draw a 4th round should be possible.At least then she has her points defended and she's had e couple of victories under the belt and should feel better then about her game and for the next tournaments to come.ALLEEZZ Marion!! let's do it

Super_Marion
Mar 12th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Marion beat Govortsova and Bammer last time she met them.

Iceland
Mar 15th, 2008, 11:15 PM
First step completed :yeah:. Marion defeated Vesnina 60 64 getting broken only once. She has difficulties to close the match, but this shouldn't prevent her from being very happy about this result. I hope she can gain some form here, she played very well last year.
Allez Marion :banana:. She plays Kerber next, she knows how to beat her, so it should be an easy match.

Bartoli's Boy
Mar 16th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Nice going Marion! :bounce:

Schnyderfreak
Mar 16th, 2008, 01:05 PM
AAALLEEEEZZZ MARION!!! good win in straight sets!!!
This will do your confidence good a regular win with a next opponent which is also beatable.

Iceland
Mar 16th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Yes, this win makes me optimistic! If she cannot beat top 10 opponents, I would like her to find consistent results just as she did before Wimbledon. Her level was pretty good in Paris, so she is definitely assuming her status when she is playing that way. With all the time she had to rest, I think she is only eager to win matches now ;). The main objective for her is QF, I'm really looking forward this match against Lindsay.

Go Marion ! :D

Sund7101
Mar 16th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Nice first round Marion!!!

I think she can gain her form back in Indian Wells.

Go Marion

Iceland
Mar 17th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Marion played a very match from what I read till 63 51 attacking from the baseline with powerful strokes. Then she couldn't find any first serves & she started to shake on MPs. She wasted her big lead but recovered on time to win 63 76(3). I was so nervous during this match, Marion needed to win so much for her confidence. Before she choked, she only lost 2 points on first serve !! It looks like it is becoming a weapon now!

Now she will probably face Lindsay & I hope she will, the only question is about her physical form after such a fight. Hopefully, she has no injuries like in Paris & she will play her best against Lindsay. If she can return well & make her move, she may find a way to get through. It will be hard though ... but allez Marion, give your best!

Bartoli's Boy
Mar 18th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Argh, leading 5-1 on serve and going to 5-5 is terrible, but at least she won. And at least she won two matches in a row, it should give her some confidence back. Come on Marion!

Joee
Mar 18th, 2008, 06:17 PM
go to http://groups.myspace.com/marionbartoli when shes playing Lindsay Davenport!!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Schnyderfreak
Mar 18th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Well done Marion to still win this match in straight sets.:yeah:
It's good to see this fighting spirit besides also good tennis in phases.
Good luck against Lindsay and may your form and fighting spirit be the same as this match!!

bruce goose
Mar 19th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Not really sure what the correct attitude is for me right now:confused:...on the one hand,I'm:sad:that Marion lost but I can't say that I'm surprised even though she was,technically,the higher seed.Marion only had one win in three previous battles with Davenport and THAT occurred due to an injury default...PLUS Lindsay was playing near her home turf and she's a tough foe anyway who's been quite impressive since her return from 'maternity leave'.

I suppose a significant bright spot is that Marion beat TWO young players:D who had defeated her before,and this is MUCH better than some of her "mercurial"(;)Britannia)1st-round flameouts in other events.If she enters Miami,then I hope that IW was a 'building block' for her.Allez Marion:hearts::bounce:

Super_Marion
Mar 20th, 2008, 07:32 PM
spose :(

Dave.
Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:34 AM
It's so great that Marion won matches at Indian Wells and at least defended her points. She has little to defend for the next few weeks but then ALOT from Estoril onwards. So please Marion take confidence from this past week and get as many points as you can.

Iceland
Mar 25th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I'm quite satisfied of Marion's form, she still struggles with her confidence in the tough times (especially at closing a set :o) but at least her level has really improved. She hit plenty of nice winners against Kerber.

So I hope she can keep playing this way and find more consistent results! She has a pretty good draw in Miami. She will start with Wozniacki/Pironkova in R2 & then Srebotnik. All those players are quite talented, but they are clearly beatable for Marion. The bad news is after she would have to play a big server again in the person of Venus Williams.
I am not worried if she faces Caroline, the last time, Marion was out of energy and she couldn't play her game. Caroline has nothing to hurt her, I'm sure she will go fine :).
I hope she can give herself a chance to play a rematch of Wimbledon's final!! Allez! :bounce:

Just Do It
Mar 25th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Marion, get it together :o

Super_Marion
Mar 26th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Hey Iceland, you're more optimistic! :)

I was dissapointed for her when she lost to Lindsay.

I agree that Marion can put the last match against Caro behind her.

Schnyderfreak
Mar 27th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Hey Iceland, you're more optimistic! :)

yeah indeed what prozac are you using?:p

This draw is leading to optimism though it looks good untill the moment she plays a top 10 player and then she plays Venus, which is very hard indeed.I don't know how many points she has to defend but with the form of the last tournament she can definitely reach the match vs. Venus and that means a couple of wins again and points building up her good form for the rest of the season.
I guess this gives hope for some optimism and also for Marion who should give Caroline a good beating as revenge for Dubai/Doha :bounce:

Iceland
Mar 28th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I don't know :lol: but now that Marion's match is starting soon and that all my faves lost, I don't feel very optimistic ^^.

CMON MARION!!!! :bounce:

Iceland
Mar 28th, 2008, 07:19 PM
FIRST SET

Marion fails to break despite a 0/30 lead. 0/1
Wozniacki breaks easily 0/2 :(.
Marion breaks back punishing Wozniacki on her 2nd serves. 1/2 :)
Got broken again ... I don't like it :scared: 1/3
Easy hold for Wozniacki, who has a high first serve percentage 1/4 :sad:

Iceland
Mar 28th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Phew Marion held! Break back please, I want to see you leading after my dinner! 2/4

Iceland
Mar 28th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Marion is in trouble, she is led 63 20. :sad::bigcry:

Iceland
Mar 28th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Marion wasted more GPs and goes down even more. Just pathetic, a top player should learn how to not lose to the same (bad) player twice. :o

Iceland
Mar 28th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Marion broke at love just to lose her serve at love too. Down 36 14. The glorious time of her Wimbledon form is officially over.

Iceland
Mar 28th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Marion lost 63 61. End of the story. She is done.

sorcerer
Mar 28th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Wozniacki is quite talented! Her season so far 4th round: AO & Indian Wells, QF: Doha & Memphis. This makes her 11wins 4losses which is impressive in itself.

But even more so when you consider...
those 'four' are: Ivanovic, Sharapova, Davenport and Kuznetsova.

No disgrace for Marion...she should have taken the first game of the second set. Things could have been different.

The only worry I have for the game is that with such a high first serve percentage of 78% she is only winning 48% of those points.

Iceland
Mar 28th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I get your point, but there is a difference in losing to Wozniacki and getting thrashed in less than one hour! This is why I'm becoming more and more worried for Marion. She said everything was fine before the tournament in an interview.

Schnyderfreak
Mar 28th, 2008, 09:53 PM
:sad: Marion:sad: What's happening with your tennis?
this looks like a loss without a fight :o. Within an hour I heard? That's not the way tennis should be played. I've seen you fighting soo hard before why is that not happening now?If your game is in a dip that could compensate it but if your fighting spirit is also gone then it's hard to win any match you play.
CMON Marion get yourself together and never give up without a hell of a fight!!!

Bartoli's Boy
Mar 28th, 2008, 11:52 PM
:sad: Don't know what else to say really. I'm really depressed.

sorcerer
Mar 29th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I get your point, but there is a difference in losing to Wozniacki and getting thrashed in less than one hour! This is why I'm becoming more and more worried for Marion. She said everything was fine before the tournament in an interview.

The 3-6 1-6 scoreline in just 58 minutes does look like a bit of a trashing but I don't think it was at all which is all the more worrying. Here is why:

First Set: Marion dropped her two opening service games but managed to reduce Wozniacki's lead to one service break. After that Wozniacki was on serve at 1-3 up and held for 1-4. After that everything went on serve to 3-6. So all it was, is one break of serve early on in the match and Marion could not recover it. Because Wozniacki served first it makes the scoreline look worse.

Second Set: Game 1: Marion is 40-0 up on serve. Game 2: Marion has 0-30 on Wozniacki's serve. Game 3: Marion is 30-0 up on serve. Game 4: Marion broke Wozniacki to love (or 15). This shows that it was definitely not a one sided game in the second set and that Marion had good chances after constructing promising positions.

Which leads me on to say that I don't actually fully buy into Marion's reasons in her post-match interview. If anyone could have beaten her today how did she manage to lose by only one break of serve in the first set and in the second have three very promising positions in games 1-3 and then break her opponent with ease in the fourth game. Is she suggesting that Wozniacki is that bad?

Marion couldn't come back in the first set after a poor start and then couldn't mount a comeback in the second because she didn't capitalise on those promising positions.

I may be the webmaster for last three years, but I will certainly not bury my head in the sand to ignore the truth.

Your thoughts please.

Dave.
Mar 29th, 2008, 04:11 PM
This is so sad. Marion's slump just continues, and it doesn't seem like she or Walter are doing anything to stop it. I admire what Walter has done so far but I wish Marion would get a proper coach to help get out of this slump. As a top 10 player, Marion shouldn't let these slumps go on like this. She is so talented and made a huge breakthrough last year and became a true top player But now she has gone back to where she was before as a top 30 player. Players only get a few chances to get to the top 10 in their career and I wish Marion would start to make the most of this.

bruce goose
Mar 29th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Let me apologize in advance since I'm pro'bly not qualified to assess Marion as well as many others of you.It's just that she doesn't have the same natural,physical gifts as some of the other girls therefore it's more special when you see her have great success such as she had last year.She is more human and more like one of us in this respect--not accounting for her wondrous beauty:hearts:,of course.

I hope that she doesn't get disheartened by these recent failures and uses some pro-active measures to regain her previous level of excellence.:)

Super_Marion
Mar 30th, 2008, 12:06 AM
What Bartoli's Boy said.

But all of you make good points friends. I guess i'm with Sorcy on this.

1). But for an unfortunate 1st Round draw Marion could have went deeper into the tournament.

2). When you actually break down yesterdays scoreline it wasnt quite as horrific as it initially appears.

7). It's nice to see a gathering here. The Superhood bin quiet lately.

Super_Marion
Mar 30th, 2008, 10:55 AM
:sad: Don't know what else to say really. I'm really depressed.
i know :( But she's a fighter. :hug:

weary
Apr 5th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Good luck on clay Marion!

Iceland
Apr 6th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Our Marion is back on green clay this year, playing Amelia Island. I hope she does well here, France has to defend a title in addition to that :lol:. And it's above all my favourite tournament, so please Marion, go far!

Actually the thing is that Marion has a great draw (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/includes/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/global/Pdfs/events/2008/ameliaisland_draws.pdf). No Sharapova, no Davenport, no Hantuchova in her section...
As the 4th seed, she has a BYE in the first round. She faces then the winner of Ruano Pascual vs Govortsova. I don't want to make any predictions, I would just say that she is due to play Razzano in R3 & Schnyder or Bammer in QF. It's the quarter of slumping players apparently.
Please Marion, don't waste this opportunity of going far!!! Bonne chance!

Super_Marion
Apr 6th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Yes it's a decent draw for a change. However she's never won a match at Amelia Island. So it wont be easy. But she can do it.

I should Google for the difference between green clay and red.

Bartoli's Boy
Apr 7th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Well, there is a big clue in the names. ;)

Hehehe, couldn't resist.

Schnyderfreak
Apr 7th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Hehehe, couldn't resist.

What do you mean?:p

Schnyder freaks Bartoli Boy out?? :devil:

well it would be a satisfying line up for me anyway cuz two of my slumping favourites got to the QF of this T2 event:kiss:

whatever happens then I dont know but I'll support the winner ;)

sorcerer
Apr 7th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I should Google for the difference between green clay and red.

Hehehe, couldn't resist.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::angel: :tape: :help: :lol:

Schnyderfreak
Apr 7th, 2008, 08:36 PM
:angel: :tape: :help: :lol:

:haha::haha::haha::haha: I GET IT I GET IT :haha::haha::haha:

I'm such a fool!!!:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Super_Marion
Apr 7th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I see your spirit is no longer downcast Bartoli's Boy :D

Green looks nicer :) Red tastes nicer :o

Pink clay will be the next big thing on the womens tour!!

Schnyderfreak
Apr 8th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Stadium (from 10.00hrs)
1. Mattek vs. Cirstea
2. Makarova vs. Szavay
3. King vs. Davenport

:bounce:4. Govortsova vs. Bartoli:bounce:

5. Sharapova vs. Zahlavova Strycova (NB 19.00hrs)
6. Peng/Sun vs. Dechy/Shaughnessy

Alleeez Marion!!!
Let's get off to a good start this tournament and your clay season.
Whatever happens fight like hell:armed:

Iceland
Apr 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM
God she is playing today :unsure::scared:. Please win that Marion!

sorcerer
Apr 8th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Can't help feeling that the schedulers put here there for a bit of filling between Davenport and Sharapova. So all the yanks can go and buy their burgers and hot dogs while Marion is on. Or at least go out for a break during Marion's first set.

Bar the top players, that phenomenon (replace hot dogs with strawberries) very noticeably happens at Wimbledon. :p

She better win this one..:tape:

Schnyderfreak
Apr 8th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Marion just lost her match 6-3 2-6 4-6 :sad::sad::sad:
:fiery: M*RD* ALORS :fiery:

Iceland
Apr 8th, 2008, 09:32 PM
As you said ... at least this one is close.
But Marion showed how low on confidence she is. She had 4 BPs to lead 3/0, 2 GPs to lead 3/1 & a 0/30 2nd serve position at 4/4. How could she miss that against somebody as bad as Govortsova?

I don't know what to think, I doubt she will only consider her nice fightback in the last set. Too bad! :(:sad:

sorcerer
Apr 8th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Ouch Iceland..hope you didn't follow that for the whole two and a half hours...... :tape:

Instead I watched Liverpool vs Arsenal ...:p enough said

Schnyderfreak
Apr 8th, 2008, 09:39 PM
She had 2 mp against her on her own serve she managed to hold one off but the other one seemed to be too much. I don't know anymore how she's going to recover from this blow :sad: :sobbing: I feel really sad cuz I know she can do so much better but at this moment she performs like a top 30 player!! She must keep on fighting which she really did but indeed her confidence is the main problem and that can only be built up slowly and gradually :sad:
:fiery: ALLLLLEEEEEEZZZZZZ MARIONN :fiery:

Bartoli's Boy
Apr 8th, 2008, 09:39 PM
:sad: This sucks. With other girls coming up, I really fear for Marion's ranking if she can't string together some wins soon. Losing in first rounds, or second round with a bye is becoming a real habit...

Pennsylvania
Apr 9th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Yes, it is sad to go out so early. However, with a gain in confidence she will be back again. Good luck!

Schnyderfreak
Apr 9th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Yes, it is sad to go out so early. However, with a gain in confidence she will be back again. Good luck!

This is a true statement, but when will the gain in confidence start?
Personally I hope the next tournament.
CMON MARION BELIEVE IN YOUR GAME YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

Schnyderfreak
Apr 14th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Allright after the AI hangover it's recovery time in Charleston.

Here's the draw of the last big US tournament before we go back to Europe.

Singles Main Draw

(1)Jelena Jankovic (SRB) v BYE
Q v Q

Aravane Rezai (FRA) v Milagros Sequera (VEN)
(15)Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) v Anastasia Rodionova (RUS)

(9)Vera Zvonareva (RUS) v Q
Virginia Ruano Pascual (ESP) v Olga Puchkova (RUS)

Casey Dellacqua (AUS) v Maria Emilia Salerni (ARG)
(6)Marion Bartoli (FRA) v BYE

No easy draw or easy matches for Marion in a form like this. She'll just have to battle her way out of this slump:armed:

It would be great if she could reach the thrid round match against Vera cuz that would be a great test for Marion to play someone who's in a great form this year playing good tennis.

I dont know what she has to defend here and personally I dont care cuz what matters now is that she battles her way through her first match and gets some confidence back.

weary
Apr 14th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Good luck in Charleston, Marion!

Iceland
Apr 14th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Marion will start the tournament against Casey Dellacqua who surprisingly defeated Salerni. It's probably better for Marion, Casey is a brave fighter but I can't see any upset here. Not on clay! Please let it be the start of a new season here ... it's really getting sick to see her down and down each week.
Allez!

Schnyderfreak
Apr 15th, 2008, 08:45 PM
:woohoo:Marion has won 7-5 the first set.:worship:

AAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! !!

Dave.
Apr 15th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Come on Marion! Put everything behind you and just get this win.

urgh..Casey has already broken. Come on Marion, I can't stand any more losses. Just win this match!

Schnyderfreak
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Come on Marion! Put everything behind you and just get this win.

urgh..Casey has already broken. Come on Marion, I can't stand any more losses. Just win this match!

IT'S 3-1 in the second set with Marion to serve so looking pretty good :D.we want to see a winiing marion again just like herself.
Nobody plays a game to keep losing everytime:shrug:

Iceland
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:16 PM
God she is choking! :o She wasted BPs to go 5/1 and GPs to go 5/3! The 2nd set was looking quite good until she missed those opportunities :mad:.

Iceland
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Missed BPs again for 5/4. I'm starting to think that she likes losing. :o

Schnyderfreak
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:24 PM
yeah it's 5-4 Marion has to fight and is tightening up :unsure:

AAAAAAALEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZ:fiery: ***** ***** :fiery:

Poova
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:25 PM
When was the last time Marion won a third set? I can't remember any this year. :shrug:

God, this is really really embarassing. :o

Iceland
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Marion is down 46 now :haha: She is so bad, honestly, I have never seen something so ridiculous, it looks like she did it on purpose.
She will lose now! :o

Schnyderfreak
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:27 PM
WHAT TE FUCK IS HAPPENING TO HER LOSING THE SET LIKE THAT :fiery:
I feel like throwing the computer out of the window for fuck sake :mad:

Iceland
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Me too! I want to slap her so much. Honestly I know her confidence is under zero but to lose such a lead against such a bad claycourter as Casey is extremely impressive!

Poova
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:30 PM
She's going to lose. I can't be arsed to watch anymore cos I know I'll end up screaming. :o

This is just too embarassing for words. Dellacqua is a horrible clay courter, she lost to Czink last week for gods sakes! :rolleyes:

Schnyderfreak
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Now she's leading 2-0 again in the thrid set :weirdo:
wtf is wrong with this woman?? :shrug:

Iceland
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Allez Marion, make that quick!

Schnyderfreak
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Allez Marion, make that quick!

exactement no more hick ups please :armed:

Poova
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:43 PM
:spit: This girl is crazy!

But it's not over until the very end with Marion as we know. :scared:

Iceland
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:45 PM
She is leading 5/0 now. Can we say that she will win now?

Schnyderfreak
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:45 PM
:spit: This girl is crazy!

But it's not over until the very end with Marion as we know. :scared:

yes that's true and why we're still sitting on the edge of our seats.
Are you glad you stayed to watch part of the set anyway?;)

Schnyderfreak
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:46 PM
She is leading 5/0 now. Can we say that she will win now?

i'm starting to believe she definitely has a chance or two to finish it :o;) SHE MUST WIN THIS ONE:mad::mad:

Iceland
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Dellacqua won a game :o. Please finish it now!

Schnyderfreak
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:48 PM
40-0 Mps Come On

Schnyderfreak
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:50 PM
:woohoo: sh e did it :banana: :worship: why make life sooo diifiiculttt?? :fiery:

AAALLEEEZZZ MARION :music::rocker2::music:

Iceland
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Pff Marion :haha:, this match has no logic at all but I like the way she reacted in the third set. She was certainly so pissed at herself that she decided to give everything. Actually this may give her the confidence she needs because she seemed truely impressive in the last set at least on her serve.
Congrats Marion :hug:, but please don't do that again!

Poova
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:51 PM
She won!

Her first third set win of 2008 if I checked correctly. :bolt:

Schnyderfreak
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Finally I can sleep now with a smile pfffffffffff
I hope it was as good for you guys as it was for me :devil: :wavey:

Iceland
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Yes, you're right! She is likely to play Zvonareva now, it could be funny :lol:. Allez Marion!

Good night everybody :wavey:

Dave.
Apr 15th, 2008, 10:05 PM
:banana: Come on Marion!!!! I'm so happy with this win. Finally she believed in herself and finished it off! No way should she be losing to Casey on clay. Now, go even further Marion!

Dave.
Apr 15th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Page 5 made me laugh:lol: That's like the first time in ages all of Marion's fans have followed her match on livescore like that, we need to do it more often! I only joined it at 5-0 3rd set, so I wasen't going out of my mind as much as you all were. :lol:

Iceland
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Marion starts well breaking Zvonareva 1/0. :D
Marion holds on 2nd GP, low 1st % though. 2/0 :D :D
Vera holds at love & finishes on an ace :unsure:. 2/1 :D:scared: Hold Marion!
Marion saved 5 BPs but got broken :sad:, I hope it won't affect her confidence ... 2/2
Vera holds at love again. 2/3 Oh la la :help:
Marion holds easily, many 1st serves in this game :yeah: 3/3
Marion saved 5 GPs, going back from a 40/0 deficit to get the break :eek::yeah: 4/3
Damn, Marion saved again 3 BPs, but got broken again :(. 4/4 An important game is coming. Fight!
Zvonareva hit lots of 1st serves to hold easily :mad:. 4/5. Allez Marion!

Marion had 2 GPs but wasted them (one on a DF :o) got broken again. 4/6 :sobbing:
At least, she has done better than I thought. But I doubt she can come back now, she had her occasions in this first set, but she hasn't been solid enough when she could take the lead.

Iceland
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:00 PM
So many close games, but Marion rarely wins them :(. 0/1 She needs to hold here ...
Marion holds from 0/30. Many 1st serves :yeah:. Allez!
A too high % of 1st serves prevents Marion from breaking. 1/2
Got broken again, because of 2nd serves :o 1/3 Marion ....
Marion fought well again taking advantage of Zvonareva's 2nd serves AND got the precious break :yeah: 2/3. Allez!
SB stuck on Adv. Marion :o

Dave.
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Good luck Marion!

Iceland
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:40 PM
5/4 for Marion :banana: She serves for the set!

Iceland
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Marion saves a BP ... Allez, allez, allez!

Iceland
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Marion saves 2nd BP. Allez, allez *bis*

Iceland
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Marion saved 3rd BP * CMON*

Iceland
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:47 PM
SP

:angel:

Missed. :(

Iceland
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Another SP. Please, Marion take it, thanks.

Iceland
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Marion takes 2nd set on 6/4 :banana:
FANTASTIC FIGHT Marion, no matter how ends the match, I'm proud of her!

Iceland
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Super Marion saved again BPs, had even a GP but got broken :sad:. 0/2
She has to fight again now ...

Iceland
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:10 PM
There are only close games, but Marion can't get them :(. 4/0 Please, don't get bagelled!

Iceland
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:12 PM
0/5 :awww:. Allez Marion, one last effort!

Iceland
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:15 PM
1/5. Nice effort Marion, keep believing in yourself!

Schnyderfreak
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:17 PM
cmon Break back Marion (just got home)

Schnyderfreak
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:18 PM
2mps CMON FIGHT !!!

Schnyderfreak
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:18 PM
40-30 That's It

Iceland
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:19 PM
MPs saved! Allez Marion!

Schnyderfreak
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Deuce That's My Marion Fight Till The End
You Make Us Proud !!!!

Schnyderfreak
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Cmon Keep Fighting

Schnyderfreak
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:20 PM
deuce again :worship: that's the stuff we want to seee :worship:

Schnyderfreak
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:21 PM
deuce 3 try to break Marion it's possible !!!!!!

Iceland
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Oh no, Marion lost :sobbing:, but awesome effort!!! :hug:

Schnyderfreak
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Well fought Marion:worship: you you took a set off a good player in good form.
I still believe that ou could 've beaten her in your good form but this was a good test:yeah:

Iceland
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Yes as you said, I hope she will think positively as regards this match. Thinking that you bothered on in-form player is always good for your confidence. Maybe that clay will bring back her level just like last year... What worries me is that she has points to defend now (F in Prague, SF in Strasbourg & 4th round in RG). She has to stay in top 15 before Wimbledon. I don't want her to embarass herself there.

Anyway we knew this season would be tough. Confirming such an achievement is extremely hard, she will have better results next year, I'm sure :).

bruce goose
Apr 17th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Yes as you said, I hope she will think positively as regards this match. Thinking that you bothered on in-form player is always good for your confidence. Maybe that clay will bring back her level just like last year... What worries me is that she has points to defend now (F in Prague, SF in Strasbourg & 4th round in RG). She has to stay in top 15 before Wimbledon. I don't want her to embarass herself there.

Anyway we knew this season would be tough. Confirming such an achievement is extremely hard, she will have better results next year, I'm sure :).It's very pleasing to see a more positive view by the Marionettes in contrast with the pessimism during other tourneys...I hope that Marion can draw on the positives that were mentioned about this match.:)...lovely,earnest Marion:kiss::hearts:

Poova
Apr 17th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Marion :hug: Such a good effort against a brilliant player.

I'm confident she can defend a lot of her points, anyway. If she beats who she is supposed to beat and starts making the QFs and SFs of these big tournaments. None of these ridiculous bad losses to people like Govortsova. :o I don't see her falling out of the top 20, it's where she belongs. ;)

And then... maybe her game will come alive on the grass again this year. :angel:

Dave.
Apr 17th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Marion has alot of points to defend, but she's in a better position now than she was this time last year. She started 2007 in a similar slump and was 7-11 before the red clay season. She only won consecutive matches once (at Indian Wells). Then she went on her great run:

Estoril- QF
Prague- F
Strasbourg- SF
French Open 4R
Birmingham- SF
Eastbourne- SF
Wimbledon- F :worship:

This year, she is 7-8, but she has already reached a SF in Paris and 4R at Indian Wells. She has already added points by making the 3R in Charleston (she lost 2R last year). This year, her schedule is Berlin-Rome-Strasbourg. By winning a couple of rounds in Berlin and Rome she should easily defend her points from 2007 Estoril and Prague. The most important thing is her confidence, and I think this week's 2R win should at least put her in the right direction. There is still time to make something of her top 10 status. Good luck Marion!

Iceland
Apr 18th, 2008, 02:53 PM
A report of Marion's match from Ludwig Dworak :

This match was incredibly dramatic. A flat out bitchfest, to be honest. I came in late in the first set, Marion hit a few errors, but I noticed she was dictating play. I noticed against Dellacqua too she was being UBER aggressive, trying to hit every shot as a winner...against a better player today, that tactic wasn't working as well. Bartoli was dictating SO much, and hitting SO many winners, I couldn't believe Vera was up 64 *31. She had to save a few BPs to get to GP, but Bartoli just kept fighting, whatever Vera was throwing at her. For a few games, Bartoli looked invincible--I thought Wimbledon-level Marion was back, I truly honestly did. From 31 to 35 I counted, Marion didn't make a single unforced error. When Vera got her last game in that second set, Marion started to let up...in the final game Vera had three BPs, but Marion managed to keep her head (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=338664&page=6#) together, as Vera made UEs. I believe most of the third was on TV, which is unfortunate, since the first two sets were so rich in quality, drama, fight, and intensity. The third set was just pathetic. :help: Overall, this was an incredible match, but I don't like Marion's new gameplan she's instituting.

Renalicious
Apr 18th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Yes. http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=338664&page=6

So I guess Marion is being overagressive. :shrug:

Super_Marion
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Ha! Playing aggressively is what Marion's about Iceland :)

Her performances this week have energised and encouraged us all.

Dave - great post, I couldnt agree more. Marion is actually up on the position she was in last spring.

Good posts again from everyone.

bruce goose
Apr 20th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Perhaps I'm mistaken,but Marion strikes me as a player who might struggle with her confidence for a long while...BUT,once she gets it back,she'll go on an extended roll.Her success was so inspiring last year and I'd like to see that again.

I'll confess that I'm ALMOST captivated--thank the Lord for mental sobriety--by Ivanovic's beauty and rise to the threshold of No.1;however,Marion brings us great,unforgettable human drama and the WTA is less satisfying without her advancing deep into tourneys.I'm waiting patiently for our dear :hearts:Marion´s:hearts:return to form...:bounce:ALLEZ,MARION:bounce:

Super_Marion
Apr 20th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Yep! :bounce:

But I dont see where Ivanovic fits into the conversation.. :o

:)

Super_Marion
Apr 20th, 2008, 06:54 AM

But I dont see where Ana Ivanovic fits into the conversation. :o

Nevermind. :)

bruce goose
Apr 20th, 2008, 05:50 PM

But I dont see where Ana Ivanovic fits into the conversation. :o

Nevermind. :)No,it's okay,you deserve an answer:I just don't want someone to freak out if they catch me visiting the Ivanovic thread and cheering for her,too.Fortunately,most of the Marionettes seem very level-headed but I HAVE run into some mental midgets at WTA World whom I would've kicked in the teeth had they spoken to me face-to-face as they did so rudely with the safe,anonymity of the website...hope that clears things up,Super M!:):wavey:

sorcerer
Apr 20th, 2008, 07:23 PM
some mental midgets at WTA World ... so rudely with the safe,anonymity of the website

:lol::lol:

Those people need :help: Unfortunately it is indicative of the world we live in today that people make such time and effort to be so rude in such a pointless context. :tape:

sorcerer
Apr 20th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Marion has alot of points to defend, but she's in a better position now than she was this time last year.

You make a very good point. :)

In that sense Marion's comfort zone has now come to an end and now she has to repeat her magic feats of last summer of else she will be destination top 30 or 40.

Of course we don't wish that to happen but it would be interesting if she did complete that big cycle and say ended this season back around 30/40th in the world. So often, usually when researching Marion's opponents you see players who have climbed steadily reached a peak and then tumbled away back into 'mediocrity'. I hate to use that word but when the WTA and media light rarely shines past the top-10/20 and the most bright of young stars, top 30/40 really is 'mediocrity'.

Now I know many big tennis fans could name most of the top 100, but in a wider sporting and world context, the above is the unfortunate reality. Hopefully Marion doesn't end up back there.

Super_Marion
Apr 22nd, 2008, 01:16 PM
I agree, Marion's fans are generally very nice. We seem to have a collective character distinct from other fan circles, such as those who follow Tati.

Pity we dont have more girls here though. Sharapovarulz doesnt stop by anymore :( And young Zombie seems to have recanted :mad:

Super_Marion
Apr 22nd, 2008, 01:20 PM
Hm, that was in reply to Bruce Goose's. But somehow no text is quoted in the post.

bruce goose
Apr 22nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
Hm, that was in reply to Bruce Goose's. But somehow no text is quoted in the post.Yes,I kind of assumed that you meant things that way,Super M.I have truly enjoyed the contributions and witticisms of your lively mind since I began visiting here.:)

Super_Marion
Apr 25th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Yes,I kind of assumed that you meant things that way,Super M.I have truly enjoyed the contributions and witticisms of your lively mind since I began visiting here.:)
Glad to be of service. :cool:

Super_Marion
Apr 25th, 2008, 08:06 AM
You make a very good point. :)

In that sense Marion's comfort zone has now come to an end and now she has to repeat her magic feats of last summer of else she will be destination top 30 or 40.

Of course we don't wish that to happen but it would be interesting if she did complete that big cycle and say ended this season back around 30/40th in the world. So often, usually when researching Marion's opponents you see players who have climbed steadily reached a peak and then tumbled away back into 'mediocrity'. I hate to use that word but when the WTA and media light rarely shines past the top-10/20 and the most bright of young stars, top 30/40 really is 'mediocrity'.

Now I know many big tennis fans could name most of the top 100, but in a wider sporting and world context, the above is the unfortunate reality. Hopefully Marion doesn't end up back there.
I'm hearin you Sorcy, and slightly quizzical why you have expressed these feelings at this time.

Would it be burying our heads in the sand to say come fame or mediocrity she is still our Marion. Her fans will follow her always regardless of her rank.

Does media visibility really matter to Marion. She has always did her thing her way. The media write what they do. People say what people say. Marion is pretty impervious to it all.

Bartoli's Boy
Apr 25th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I don't think it would matter to her either. In fact, I have a feeling that someone like Marion would prefer to fly under the media radar, as it were.

But still, as fans of her, it would really depressing if she fell all the way down the rankings. Last year she showed so much promise of being a top player.

I'm glad that she was playing very aggressively in her latest matches though. I don't think that is a bad sign at all, because that's the way she was playing at last year's Wimbledon. :) Ending points quickly, especially on the return of serve, is what really troubles people when Marion is playing at her best. It sounds dangerously risky, but she obviously spends a lot of time training to hit the lines over and over. If she can pull it off then she will beat people that way, she just needs to win some matches now and get her confidence back. :)

Iceland
Apr 25th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I don't think it would matter to her either. In fact, I have a feeling that someone like Marion would prefer to fly under the media radar, as it were.

But still, as fans of her, it would really depressing if she fell all the way down the rankings. Last year she showed so much promise of being a top player.

I'm glad that she was playing very aggressively in her latest matches though. I don't think that is a bad sign at all, because that's the way she was playing at last year's Wimbledon. :) Ending points quickly, especially on the return of serve, is what really troubles people when Marion is playing at her best. It sounds dangerously risky, but she obviously spends a lot of time training to hit the lines over and over. If she can pull it off then she will beat people that way, she just needs to win some matches now and get her confidence back. :)

Me too, I really think it's a good thing that she is trying to be aggressive. This is the way she plays her best. And after all, it showed its effect since she threatened Vera who went into the final afterwards. I'm really confident about her finding her old form soon. We have to be patient, but there are good signs tournaments after tournaments even though she is extremely irregular.
This poster I quoted reported that she was moving well, it's already a good point :D.

The only thing I'm worried about is her physical shape, I don't know how to interpret all those losses in 3 sets. Lack of confidence, lack of stamina, no energy?

weary
Apr 28th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Come on Marion, you need to lift!