PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay at Indian Wells.

LADL
Mar 8th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Just thought I would get the discussion going. Here's hoping she gets the whale. :)

LADL
Mar 8th, 2008, 06:36 AM
PACIFIC LIFE OPEN MEDIA CONFERENCE

March 7, 2008

Lindsay Davenport

STEVE SIMON: Thanks for everybody joining us today. I'm Steve Simon, the tournament director here at the Pacific Life Open. I'd like to introduce the people we have on the call today. With me here on the speaker side will be Amy Binder from the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour and Matt Van Tuinen, who is our media director here at the Pacific Life Open.
We're also very pleased to be able to have Lindsay Davenport joining us. Lindsay, as someone who has won 55 tournaments, done all the wonderful things in tennis she's done, doesn't need much of an introduction. She's someone who is very special to us here in Indian Wells and the Pacific Life Open. We're excited that she could join us today.
Lindsay, it's going to be great to have you. Maybe you can open with a few words to the media with respect to coming back here in Indian Wells since you've had the family.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I'm so excited to come back. I've never been shy about the Pacific Life Open being one of my favorite tournaments for so many reasons. One, it was the first one I ever played professionally. Two, I had my first date with my husband there one year. And, three, last year when I was there was really the first time I had begun thinking that maybe I would want to come back. Just kind of being there, seeing the great tournament and missing it really kind of was the first step in me thinking about coming back.
Besides loving the tournament, it feels kind of like my hometown tournament, even though it's an hour and a half, two hours. But I'm really excited to get down there and play again.
STEVE SIMON: I know the feedback from the patrons and fans has been very strong that they're very excited to see you. I know you're going to have a lot of company out there on the court, so it should be a lot of fun.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Thank you.
STEVE SIMON: Shall we open it up to questions.

Q. Can you talk about some of the things that happened last year that kind of led you to believe you could come back last year when you were at the Pacific Life Open, and how long were you here last year?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Nothing actually led me to believe I could come back because I was seven months pregnant (laughter).
I was actually there on both weekends, the middle weekend and the final weekend. I was visiting some friends. Had to do like a little bit of work stuff.
But, you know, it was a tournament I've played and been a part of for so many years. I was excited to go and see all my friends who I hadn't seen, just being out there and seeing everybody play. You know, just kind of being in the tennis atmosphere for the first time since being pregnant was like a real draw for me. I felt a lot of emotions when I was there. I remember saying that to my husband there, and he was like, Whatever, we'll worry about the baby first, then deal with it later.
It really just hit me as I was kind of walking around, watching the tennis.

Q. Did you get a chance to watch Sybille Bammer last year?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I didn't. You know, actually it was one of the first times I could walk around on an outside court. I had a hat on, a big stomach. I was watching some of my friends play doubles and just hanging out.
I did not see her play, but I understand she did pretty well there last year.

Q. When your son grows up, what kind of things will you be telling him about Indian Wells? LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, I mean, my husband was involved in tennis. It's a huge part of our life. I hope we go there every year for the rest of our lives and bring him around tennis and have him grow up with the sport.
But it's such a special tournament for both Jon and myself. You know, I'm excited that Jagger gets to experience it at least once. Not that he'll ever remember watching his mom play there. But to be around a really special place for us. Everybody who is involved in the tournament we love a lot. Just really enjoy going there.

Q. A couple years ago when you got to the finals in 2005, you gave a speech that people thought might be your farewell speech. Can you talk about how you've been able to keep your career going after all these years? LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, I really don't know. I mean, a lot of times in the last few years I've thought that it might be the last time that I've been at a certain tournament or a certain place. I think that just happens when you get older. You never quite know when the road kind of ends.
I never thought I'd have such a long career and be able to kind of make it last so long and still be successful at the same time. I'm very proud of that. This year is just kind of all really a blessing, to get to go back to my favorite tournaments and to get to experience it one more time.
I have no idea what will happen in 2009. So I'm kind of approaching this year like this is such and added bonus for me to play Indian Wells and the Grand Slams, to play in front of fans that I've grown up with.

Q. Go back 15 years to when you turned pro. You made the quarterfinals that year. Do you remember anything particularly about that tournament?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I remember a lot. I remember the first round I played a very good Mexican player, Angelica Gavaldon, winning that. I had to sign a piece of paper the night before declaring that I was a professional. Just to win your first match, you always want to start off everything on the right foot. Going all the way through to the quarterfinals where I played one of the players I most admired, Mary Joe Fernandez, who turned out to be one of my best friends in the sport. Playing her, it was all, you know, kind of overwhelming at the time, but so exciting.

Q. You said you never expected to play so long. 15 years now. There were times you said, Another injury, I'm not sure I want to battle back. Last year you were there with the big belly.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, you never know. I mean, when you're dealing with giving interviews all the time, you're obviously answering questions a lot of times that people don't have to answer in public. I've always tried to be as honest as possible.
I absolutely never thought that I would be playing this long, that I would ever be playing with a child and traveling the world. But, you know, life takes changes. As you get older, you realize maybe how much you love something, how you're not ready to give it up yet. I've really just been going with what I want to do the last few years. With the support of my husband, the rest of my family, it's been great. I've been able to accomplish that, do everything I want to do.

Q. How has having Jagger with you and stuff change your approach or your attitude about playing at all? LINDSAY DAVENPORT: You know, not so much on court. I feel like I'm actually pretty focused on court. I mean, certainly tennis takes such a huge backseat now to overall daily life and what happens when I'm not practicing. I used to take like really good care of my body, have free time, stretch, try and relax. Now it's like come home, you know, I've got him full-time, worried about him, trying to get errands done.
Definitely you cannot be a tennis player and be a mother and be selfish anymore. So in that regard, it takes my mind off tennis. There's no time really to fret about anything or to kind of lament matches. It's like, move on, one step in front of the other and the next day comes.

Q. Early this year you became the all-time leading money winner. Was that a significant milestone or just something that you say if you hang around this long... LINDSAY DAVENPORT: That's exactly what I say (laughter). I say it's gonna be broken very soon. Prize money goes up so much every year.
But, yeah, I mean, I played forever. I played singles and doubles for a large portion of my career. I've been consistent. But I'm fairly confident a player of Justine's stature or Maria, when they're winning a lot of the Grand Slams, will pass me soon enough.

Q. Are you going to play doubles this year?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I am playing doubles kind of off and on. I'm playing in the desert with Daniela Hantuchova. I think it's great. After trying the new scoring system, it's really phenomenal to play if you're still concentrating on your singles. Matches go much faster, no-ad, no third set. I've actually loved the format. It makes it much easier to play doubles.

Q. Is there any possible way you can sort of evaluate your year so far? Can you give yourself a letter grade or is it incomplete because it's so early?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: You know, for the most part it's been really, really great since the whole comeback started.
But I had the span of like three weeks where I kind of lost -- I definitely was not on the top of my game and kind of lost my way a little bit with how I was playing. That was at the Australian Open and starting in Fed Cup. It wasn't so much the match with Maria. I mean, she played so well. I don't know too many players that would challenge her in that tournament. But even in the first round, I just felt a little off my game. Kind of carried over in that match and then the first match I played in Fed Cup. That was like a little bit concerning.
The last few weeks I've worked pretty hard to get it back on the straight and narrow. I think I'm back (laughter). You know, to have done as well as I've done so far while being back, I mean, I would give myself an A. If you're asking me about this year, it would be a little lower, like a B minus maybe.

Q. You referenced a minute ago with Maria playing so well. Did it come as a bit of not relief but give you some clarity when you rolled through everybody else? LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I felt much better about it, that's for sure (laughter). But having said that, I was still disappointed. I've been killed before and have played better in a match like that. Like I said, even the first round wasn't good. You know, I wasn't able to really be in control of any of the points against her. So that's something I'm looking forward to, especially in Indian Wells, playing players that are higher ranked and testing my game. I've played a lot of tournaments against players outside the top 20. Now I'm like, Okay, let's get some players in the top 20, top 10, and let's let me play against them.

Q. A question about your son. What is he up to these days? What sort of things is he doing? LINDSAY DAVENPORT: He's mobile, which makes life a little bit more challenging. But he's crawling, gets across the room faster than we can watch him these days.

Q. How is he on planes?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Oh, it's getting a little tougher. I like to joke that I flew with him home from Melbourne. It was just him and me for 14 hours. I was fine. And then flying a three-hour flight with my nanny and Jagger in his own seat was way more difficult. That was only a month later.

Q. To Memphis?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah. Because he's so much more mobile now. He just wants to move and see what's going on and kicking the chair in front of us. It's like, How a month ago did I do 14 hours alone and now I'm struggling to do a three-hour flight with help? It's like every month it changes.

Q. Will he go with you to Miami, as well?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah. He's going everywhere except maybe not to the Moscow Fed Cup in late April.

Q. He'll skip that?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: We're arguing. But my husband says, yeah, he'll be skipping that.

Q. Does Jon get one veto during tennis season?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I guess. I guess I have to give him his one week alone with him. If that's the week he wants, he can get it.

Q. Do you have a favorite memory from Indian Wells, something in the back of your mind that you just always remember?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: The first thing that popped in my mind when you said that was winning in 2000. I had a really good comeback win against Martina in the finals. The place was, you know, packed. We were 1-2, so there was a lot of going into the match.
I went back out later, won the doubles with my best friend Corina. I had been on a date with my future husband just a few nights earlier. It was kind of like a really special week in 2000. I look back, I can't believe it was eight years ago.

Q. Are you able to tell us where you went that night?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Oh, yeah. We just went to this Mexican restaurant, Don Diego's. Very casual.

Q. This year there's no Belgians. You've played really well. Since 2000 you haven't gotten to the top. The biggest obstacles were those Belgian girls. LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, they were a huge obstacle for a lot of players, so I didn't feel too bad about that.
First off, for Kim, I'm so happy for her. She's obviously a great girl. We played I think maybe two finals there or maybe just one.

Q. It was two. LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Two, yeah. Really happy for her. Hopefully we'll see her back in Indian Wells in 2009. But obviously Justine has turned out to be one of the greatest players to have played. She was still not young, but still coming up at that time. Now she's the most dominant player we have right now in women's tennis.
But I take no shame from losing those finals. Obviously this year, I hope to go one step farther. I don't know if that's possible or not. I'm excited that I get an opportunity to try again.

Q. One year when you played Kim, she was coming off an injury.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Exactly. She was not even seeded.

Q. Maybe karma will come back and help you this time.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I hope.

Q. Do you think any one player can sort of run the table in women's tennis or is there too much depth? LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I mean, Justine's been doing it last year. I think that when she is concentrated and focused, she's the best player in the game. Also having said that, Maria looked spectacular in Melbourne, extremely high level, very confident, injury-free. You know, if she plays like that, she's obviously capable of doing that.
I believe Justine to be a better athlete. If she can feel good mentally and play well, I think she's got the advantage there.
You know, I don't think Venus and Serena play enough full-time to totally dominate. You know, when they're on, they're pretty scary to face.

Q. It's interesting watching Justine on clay. She's such a force on every other surface, but clay is another level.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah.

Q. Does it take a perfect match to beat her on clay?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I guess. I'm happy I won't have to be dealing with that this year (laughter).
But, yeah, I mean, the way she moves, her ability to play defense and offense is better than anybody who really has played the game, except maybe Steffi. Besides getting balls back, she punishes you with a bad shot. Her knowledge of the surface is better than anybody.

Q. You did beat her there.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I did? Oh, yeah. She was like 13 (laughter).

Q. I didn't want to say that.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, that was like so long ago.

Q. Have you been to any Duck games?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: We have not. I wish. I wish. Soon.

Q. There will be time in June.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I hope.
AMY BINDER: Thank you very much, everybody. We look forward to seeing you in Indian Wells at the Pacific Life Open. Lindsay, thank you very much for your time.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: You're welcome.

LindsayRulz
Mar 8th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Great interwiew, thanks for posting :).

Doubles with Daniela, she seems motivated to win the title and she doesn't know about 2009 :hearts:.

And she seems very disappointed to skip RG :haha:

LindsayRulz
Mar 8th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Now that Azarenka withdrew from IW, Lindsay is 24th seed which means that she won't met a top 8 seed before the 4th round :). However, if Zi Yan wins Bangalore, Lindsay will be 25th seed.

Elldee
Mar 8th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Now that Azarenka withdrew from IW, Lindsay is 24th seed which means that she won't met a top 8 seed before the 4th round :). However, if Zi Yan wins Bangalore, Lindsay will be 25th seed.

Yan Zi won't win bangalore. SURELY.

But yes, that sounds great. I'm excited for Indian Wells and should have access to it from the second week.

Great interview. Hope Daniela doesn't pull out of the doubles if she does well... or Lindsay, I guess. I think Daniela is a better partner for Lindsay at this point because of her fire power.

Lindsayfan32
Mar 8th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Yan Zi won't win bangalore. SURELY.

But yes, that sounds great. I'm excited for Indian Wells and should have access to it from the second week.

Great interview. Hope Daniela doesn't pull out of the doubles if she does well... or Lindsay, I guess. I think Daniela is a better partner for Lindsay at this point because of her fire power.

I would've preferred Lindsay to partner Lisa in the doubles. I have a theory the the more they play together and win the more chance they have of playing the olympics together. I really want to see Lindsay and Lisa play at the olympics not the Williams sisters.

Dave.
Mar 8th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Best of luck to Lindsay getting that whale!

Is Lisa not in Indian Wells then? because it would be better for them to play together. They've won it 3 times before and with the Olympics this year..

I just hope Daniela or Lindsay don't withdraw because of the singles. They are actually still unbeaten together, it's just they keep withdrawing!

hurricanejeanne
Mar 8th, 2008, 06:00 PM
:haha: at Lindsay saying Justine was like 13 when she beat her at Roland Garros.
Yay for her being seeded too!

Time to go Indian Whale hunting Lindsay! :banana:

LindsayRulz
Mar 8th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Best of luck to Lindsay getting that whale!

Is Lisa not in Indian Wells then? because it would be better for them to play together. They've won it 3 times before and with the Olympics this year..

I just hope Daniela or Lindsay don't withdraw because of the singles. They are actually still unbeaten together, it's just they keep withdrawing!

I guess Stosur is back and she'll be playing with Raymond :shrug:

Lindsayfan32
Mar 8th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Well that makes sense then. I'm glad Lindsay is playing doubles as she only going to get better with the more matches she play. when will the draw be out?

Lindsayfan32
Mar 8th, 2008, 09:37 PM
:haha: at Lindsay saying Justine was like 13 when she beat her at Roland Garros.
Yay for her being seeded too!

Time to go Indian Whale hunting Lindsay! :banana:

Yeah this whale hunting I don't mind. :)

LindsayRulz
Mar 8th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Well that makes sense then. I'm glad Lindsay is playing doubles as she only going to get better with the more matches she play. when will the draw be out?

Monday :)

Mar 9th, 2008, 04:07 AM
How high could her ranking go, if being very conservative in my expectations, she reached the fourth round?

Nikki
Mar 9th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I hope Lindsay has a good run here. Its good that she is playing doubles too as I think that is helping with her game:)

lindsayno1
Mar 9th, 2008, 11:10 PM
cool beans!

The Daviator
Mar 9th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Here we go with Hantuport again :lol: 3rd time lucky :tape:

LindsayRulz
Mar 10th, 2008, 12:29 AM
How high could her ranking go, if being very conservative in my expectations, she reached the fourth round?

She would increase her rank of only two positions.

Right now she's ranked no.36 and if the reaches the :

4th round = no.34
QF = no.32
SF = no.29
F = no.22
Whale = no.22 (Zvoraneva and Bammer would be 21 and 20 if they both defend their IW points. If they don't and Lindsay wins, she could be no.20)

dybbuk
Mar 10th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Damnit Lindsay. How many times do I have to tell you not to play doubles with her? :sobbing:

Good luck in IW. We want the whale back. :cool:

shirley
Mar 10th, 2008, 07:48 PM
all the best to Lindsay!

lindsayno1
Mar 10th, 2008, 07:48 PM
whens the draw out?

LindsayRulz
Mar 10th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Today, the draw is probably done right now. Not sure when they'll put it on their website though, it took a lot of time for the quali draw yesterday :unsure:

EDIT : the draw ceremonie is started only since 10 minutes.

Dave.
Mar 10th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Lindsay has a rather nice draw.

1R: Bye
2R: Dulko or Q
3R: (11) Bammer
4R: (6) Bartoli
QF: (3) Jankovic
SF: (1) Ivanovic or (7) Vaidisova

Hopefully get to the QF! Although I love Sybille and Marion, I really want Lindsay to go through them. They are both slumping now so go Lindsay! :bounce:

LindsayRulz
Mar 10th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I love her draw! :hearts: Bammer and Bartoli play like crap since the beginning of the year. Hopefully no Lisicki in the 2R :unsure:

vw.
Mar 10th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Great draw for Lindsay! She's surely into the QF no sweat, and definitely should be able to beat the "injured" Jankovic (she already has a win over her anyway). Semis against Ivanovic will be tough, but doable!

Go Lindsay! :hearts:

dybbuk
Mar 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Come on Lindsay. :kiss: I've been waiting for Ana-Lindsay for 4 years. :inlove:

In The Zone
Mar 10th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Exactly the draw I wanted Lindsay to get!

This is her chance for her breakthrough and to jump up the rankings finally. Good luck Lindsay! :D! Bring it on home.

mike/topgun
Mar 10th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Lindsay's draw is really not very tough;) although I'm concened about the possible match up with Bammer in the 3rd round:unsure: cause Sybille is really a tricky player on this type of hardcourts. Other than that. I'm sure Lindsay is capable of making a semifinal appearance on her favourite site.:p

Dave.
Mar 10th, 2008, 09:54 PM
^ What a great match that would be should they both get there. :hearts: I'd still have to go with Lindsay though.

This draw more than makes up for the Australian Open. Just hope Lindsay can deliver.

ChampLindsay
Mar 10th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I really like that Draw! Bammer in third round, i guess there would be no problem for Lindsay, and Bartoli in fourth!In thgis season Marion didint play well !:)

Quarters against Jelena , would be great if Lindsay passes her!:wavey:

Nikki
Mar 10th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Finally a decent draw at a big tournament.

Hopefully Lindsay uses it to her advantage & wins this:bounce:

lindsayno1
Mar 10th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Awesome!!!!!

LDF
Mar 10th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Yes! I'm so glad she got a relatively good draw :woohoo:

Good luck Lindsay :D

hurricanejeanne
Mar 10th, 2008, 10:49 PM
It's certainly not a bad draw at all for Lindsay, but it's pretty solid. She could, if she plays as well as she did in Memphis, make this final I think. Obviously, it would just be great to see her get to the quarterfinals.

Good luck Indian Whale hunting, Lindsay! :bounce:

LindsayRulz
Mar 11th, 2008, 12:11 AM
It's certainly not a bad draw at all for Lindsay, but it's pretty solid. She could, if she plays as well as she did in Memphis, make this final I think. Obviously, it would just be great to see her get to the quarterfinals.

Good luck Indian Whale hunting, Lindsay! :bounce:

My thoughts exactly. If she reaches the QFs, the rest will be bonus :angel:.

The Daviator
Mar 11th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Come on Lindsay. :kiss: I've been waiting for Ana-Lindsay for 4 years. :inlove:

That match would be :hearts:

Awesome draw, and she was due after the AO fiasco! Now please Sabine, stay well away :help:

IanRadi
Mar 11th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Linds vs Gise in second round :sobbing:

MH0861
Mar 11th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Great draw, really looking forward to this :yeah:

And I for one am shocked her 2R match isn't one of Sara Errani vs. Q (aka Sabine Lisicki) :lol:

Get that Whale Linds :D

Elldee
Mar 11th, 2008, 10:06 AM
It's unlikely to be Lisicki given the number of quali places but I'd rather it wasn't her too... especially on a slower hardcout. The press is going to go wild with the Lindsay/Bammer match if it happens... 'Battle of the Mom's' 'My Mom's better than your Mom', etc. I wouldnt be surprised if she didn't play either Marion or Sybille but it's a great draw... a draw she would have gotten seeded at world number one to be honest. I really hope she gets to the quarters because I'd love to see her involved in the big matches again.

Also, saying finally some luck in her draw at a big tournement - the only one she didn't get good luck was the AO - in all her other tournements up until Memphis she could have met anyone in the first round and she usually got quite kind draws; like in Beijing.

Lindsayfanumber1
Mar 11th, 2008, 10:46 PM
i love the draw :drool: :)
Good luck in 2r Linds :D

brayster87
Mar 11th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Go Lindsay....!! A BYE in the first round :)

LindsayRulz
Mar 12th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Lindsay is not in the doubles draw :eek:

Focus on single Mamaport :rocker2:

The Daviator
Mar 12th, 2008, 01:51 AM
She saw her singles draw and got the hell out :lol: Wise move :angel:

hurricanejeanne
Mar 12th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Lindsay is not in the doubles draw :eek:

Focus on single Mamaport :rocker2:

:lol: She did get a good singles draw. Allez Mamaport! :banana:

Dave.
Mar 12th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Watch she'll lose to Dulko and we'll all be bored for the rest of the month. At least doubles is something else to look forward to.

Oh well, good luck Lindsay, I really hope she does well here (QF points would be great, anything more even better!).

Also, isn't Indian Wells the anniversary for TOP?? If so, happy birthday TOP! It's been around for what, 7 years now?

LindsayRulz
Mar 12th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Oh my Sabine again :o... No, I'm kidding it's Dulko vs (LL) Ditty :p

MH0861
Mar 12th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Would still possibly be the third time she plays Ditty already :spit:

Lindsayfanumber1
Mar 12th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Watch she'll lose to Dulko and we'll all be bored for the rest of the month. At least doubles is something else to look forward to.

Oh well, good luck Lindsay, I really hope she does well here (QF points would be great, anything more even better!).

Also, isn't Indian Wells the anniversary for TOP?? If so, happy birthday TOP! It's been around for what, 7 years now?

I was looking at your signature.. :p
Did Linds say that? :eek: :haha:
Anyway, it is true :p :hearts:

Lindsayfanumber1
Mar 12th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Would still possibly be the third time she plays Ditty already :spit:

Well, she has played Errani three times already if i am not mistaken :p

Dave.
Mar 12th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I was looking at your signature.. :p
Did Linds say that? :eek: :haha:
Anyway, it is true :p :hearts:

haha yer I saw it from an article in 2001 so it's not recent or anything, but it was so funny I had to put it in my sig. :lol:

Elldee
Mar 12th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Ditty could take out Dulko. It'd be nice to have an all american clash in the states. I'm glad Lindsay's not playing doubles and hope she can keep it up all the way through to Amelia.

Lindsayfan32
Mar 12th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Ditty could take out Dulko. It'd be nice to have an all american clash in the states. I'm glad Lindsay's not playing doubles and hope she can keep it up all the way through to Amelia.

when we knew Lindsay's schedule I thought playing doubles seemed a little odd as Lindsay playing her next three tournament virtually back to back to back and two of them are ten day events so I'm glad and not at all surprised that Lindsay's name wasn't in the doubles draw. If worst come worst and Lindsay loses early she lives close enough to Indian wells she can go home and then go Miami.

dulkogii
Mar 12th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Gise vs Lindsay in second round maybe :(

Lindsayfanumber1
Mar 12th, 2008, 10:48 PM
haha yer I saw it from an article in 2001 so it's not recent or anything, but it was so funny I had to put it in my sig. :lol:

:yeah:

cheo23
Mar 14th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Umm Where are Pics of Lindsay???

Lindsayfan32
Mar 14th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Gise vs Lindsay in second round maybe :(

I can now confirm Dulko is Lindsay's second round opponent she won her 1st round today. When will Lindsay play her first match ?

Dave.
Mar 14th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Probably Saturday, I think the bottom half 2R are today.

IanRadi
Mar 14th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Gisela didn't play a very good match when she played Ditty so I think Lindsay shouldn't have many problems with her 2R match.

Mar 15th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I really hope it is one of the featured matches on Fox Sports Net

The Daviator
Mar 15th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Lindsay is 2nd on Centre Court tomorrow.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7526/aar2ng9.jpg

She played Dulko in IW in 2004, and won 6-3 6-2, repeat please :cool:

hurricanejeanne
Mar 15th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Lindsay is 2nd on Centre Court tomorrow.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7526/aar2ng9.jpg

She played Dulko in IW in 2004, and won 6-3 6-2, repeat please :cool:

Hopefully, Lindsay still has her Memphis form.

The bad news for me is that my Fox Sports Affilate isn't showing tomorrow's matches live like the rest of the affiliates. They're showing hockey. The joys of living in Michigan. :rolleyes:

IanRadi
Mar 15th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Star Sports is supposed to show all Main Stadium's matches.

Mar 15th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I have Directv so I get all of the Fox Sports Net Channels!! I am so lucky

LindsayRulz
Mar 15th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Star Sports is supposed to show all Main Stadium's matches.

Thanks for the information :)

LindsayfanTV
Mar 15th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Lindsay doing well against Gisella in the first set ~ has anyone found a live stream on the internet?

pilou
Mar 15th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Lindsay win 6/2 ret

l-dav
Mar 15th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Dangit. Gisela Dulko retired at the start of the second set, I don't know why though =[ Right whenever I found a live feed. Ugh.

Lindsayfanumber1
Mar 15th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Linds :D
Bad for Gise though :(

Lindsayfan32
Mar 15th, 2008, 10:14 PM
So we don't know why Dulko retired. oh well the whale hunting has began but in a strange fashion.

dulkogii
Mar 15th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Congrats Lindsay!

Gise!::(

LindsayRulz
Mar 15th, 2008, 10:21 PM
It seemed really windy in IW today, nodoby's serving well including Lindsay. Still had good stats on 1st serve % won. Allez Mamaport!

dybbuk
Mar 15th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Congrats Lindsay. Coverage here doesn't start until Monday. :sobbing:

hurricanejeanne
Mar 15th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Congrats Lindsay. Coverage here doesn't start until Monday. :sobbing:

Same for me. Although I do get some glorious tape delay coverage tonight around 3am. :p

When I saw that it was going to windy at Indian Wells today, I was a little nervous for Lindsay's serve. Hopefully, the wind calms down for the rest of the tournament.
And hopefully there's nothing seriously wrong with Gisela.

Good luck in the next round, Linds!

LindsayRulz
Mar 15th, 2008, 11:03 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080315/capt.66f9dc9ad43e4fa7886845acf67bc752.indian_wells _tennis__camt107.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080315/capt.b30c3e36cfc143688a3377d305f41420.indian_wells _tennis__camt108.jpg

LADL
Mar 15th, 2008, 11:06 PM
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3906/43643095ki1.jpg
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1034/47405025kc4.jpg
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6581/62601549wx9.jpg
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9371/26939111yj0.jpg

Lindsayfan32
Mar 15th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Just read a small net article Dulko retired with a right quad strain. Hope it isn't too serious as I hate to see anyone retire from a match injured.

Thanks for the photos Lindsayrulz.

LindsayRulz
Mar 15th, 2008, 11:35 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/9d/fullj.4c33626285f0ab3a9eed3f104c59468b/4c33626285f0ab3a9eed3f104c59468b-getty-77848969rb026_pacific_life_.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/f8/fullj.0057bd6dba539f6aed2d8e960093781b/0057bd6dba539f6aed2d8e960093781b-getty-77848969rb027_pacific_life_.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/19/fullj.3145246f7c5c741a4d1d4a80623e58cb/3145246f7c5c741a4d1d4a80623e58cb-getty-77848969rb030_pacific_life_.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/d9/fullj.efffb6d172f163c98680e2e2bfc88a9a/efffb6d172f163c98680e2e2bfc88a9a-getty-77848969rb029_pacific_life_.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/d8/fullj.23eb2240e8eb6f7a232548448a0c0d95/23eb2240e8eb6f7a232548448a0c0d95-getty-77848969rb034_pacific_life_.jpg

The Daviator
Mar 15th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Love the last pic!

Gisela :awww:

cheo23
Mar 16th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Where CAn I get Direct tv livestream???

The Daviator
Mar 16th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Where CAn I get Direct tv livestream???

There is none for the women's, I've tried every stream, there should be one on Monday :p

cheo23
Mar 16th, 2008, 02:41 AM
There is none for the women's, I've tried every stream, there should be one on Monday :p

Why do you think so???

The Daviator
Mar 16th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Why do you think so???

Because that's when a lot of the TV stations start covering it, I could be wrong though :shrug:

Lindsay plays Latisha Chan in the next round :scared:

hurricanejeanne
Mar 16th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Great pictures! It's so nice to see Lindsay back at her favorite and "home" tournament. :hearts:

Mar 16th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I got to see the first set today!! It went very smoothly but Lindsay still has a little way to go to recapture the Memphis form

Lindsayfanumber1
Mar 16th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Someone upload the match on the Video Request Forum, i cant donlowd it from there.
Can anyone do it and the upload it on Megaupload? Thx :wavey: :)

Nikki
Mar 16th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I really like the jacket she is wearing.

Thanks for posting the photos LindsayRulz & LADL.

Its a shame Dulko is injure, I hope not too seriously.

Well done Lindsay:)

Elldee
Mar 16th, 2008, 01:30 PM
There's a video from Lindsay's practice yesterday on youtube. That was a strange sentence construction. No Mom vs Mom :(

Dave.
Mar 16th, 2008, 05:09 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/d9/fullj.efffb6d172f163c98680e2e2bfc88a9a/efffb6d172f163c98680e2e2bfc88a9a-getty-77848969rb029_pacific_life_.jpg

I bet this serve was out. :tape:

Anyway, at least Lindsay is through and I hope she will continue to improve. :bounce:

LADL
Mar 16th, 2008, 09:05 PM
March 15, 2008

Lindsay Davenport

INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. I'm wondering if maybe another announcement coming. Chanda said on the TV warmup or intro that you're coming back after your first baby.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Oh, God. (laughter.) That's actually funny. Last night I was having dinner with a girlfriend and she was ordering sushi and some alcohol and I was like, No, I don't want either. She's like, You're pregnant. I'm like, Are you're crazy? I'm about to go play. No. 100 percent not true. Only baby.

Q. The match today, obviously, you know, you'd like to play, but under the conditions, are you just as happy to get off?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, it was really tough out there today. Obviously was tough yesterday and today. I think maybe we have one more day of the tough conditions.
It makes it challenging, especially since we had such a perfect week leading up to the windstorm that has come. No, I was happy to end the match at that time. Not happy for her under the circumstances. We've all been there. It's no fun.
But I feel fine with one set, and, you know, have no plans to go hit again or anything like that.

Q. Did you sense anything after the first time that she called the trainer out, you could see something in her?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I did at the game at 5-2. I think she called the trainer at 4-1. I normally try not to worry about that too much. Still really focus on myself. All of a sudden, at 5-2 I could tell she was having a really hard time moving to her right or to the forehand.
And after seeing her in that game, I wasn't surprised had she stopped. She really didn't seem like she could push off to her right side much at all.

Q. Jack Kramer always said if you think somebody's ill, beat their brains out and take them to lunch. Does that make sense to you?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Well, it's hard to do that. I mean, sometimes players play better when they're injured. They feel like they've just got to go for winners. But, yeah, it's still -- obviously you feel compassion, but we're still out there competing. If they're still standing there taking it you still got to give it to them, but it's never a fun position in either way.

Q. Yesterday Daniela Hantuchova called Center Court her home. Said she'd like to play every match in her career on Center Court here. You like the court here. How do you like Center Court, and how do you like your chances or Daniela's chances of the third championship?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I mean, I like the court. For me it's the tournament. I mean, it doesn't -- I don't mind if I'm on Stadium 2 or Stadium 3. It's more about playing here in the desert. I have a lot of friends and family, so I'm not -- I'm not partial to the court.
But Daniela's great. She's a friend of mine. I was really happy seeing her last year play and do so well. I know she enjoys places where she's done well to come back to.
Certainly I don't want to see her win it right now. Maybe, you know if I'm not still in it I might change my mind. But, yeah, I mean, if you like playing outdoors, the air is light, if you have a big game, even though the court is just a little slow, I think it still favors the big hitters for women's tennis.

Q. Has the friendship extend to baby-sitting?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No, probably not, but we're -- he's mostly with us. If not, he's probably with my mom or his baby-sitter. But, you know, I've got a lot of friends that are friendly with him. They don't have to see him alone.

Q. Am I mistaken, or didn't you say on the conference call that you and Daniela were going to play doubles here?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: We were, and then I just -- it was a lot of tennis coming from Memphis. I planned to play. I talked to her Monday night, and I wasn't sure about possibly finishing the event.
And she said that Sugiyama didn't have a partner that really wanted to play, and I was like, You should do that, because I don't know, with all the tennis and stuff.
So it's why I really like playing doubles with her. Singles are our priority, and if it works out, great, we're going to play. And if we don't, one of us doesn't feel like playing, we don't have to play. And here she was a great sport and found another great partner, so I was happy.

Q. You may have commented on this before, but when you came back here with all this energy last year, all this energy for tennis, the big time rapport, what went through your mind? What's in your mind?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: When I was here --

Q. Last year.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah. It was different being here obviously, not playing and not being injured, per se. Obviously pregnancy is a lot different, but it was fun. It was the first time I had been around tennis since my last tournament in September, and it's always been my favorite tournament.
It was exciting to get back around, see live tennis. A friend of mine and I -- he and I walked and watched some of the back courts, and it was nice. That was the first time I had thought about, Oh, maybe, you know, I'll try and play again if everything goes well.
I'm certainly happy I came out here and got it back in my blood, and realized, you know, what I was missing and what I could potentially return to.

Q. Is that kind of a reinvigoration for you to watch it without having to play in it?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah. I mean, you know, I've always loved tennis, and I will always be watching it and always try and be around it as much as I can.
But I think just seeing it in person and seeing some of the other players, it really kind of was -- it was inspirational to me, and certainty I didn't know how pregnancy would turn out, how childbirth would kind of affect my body.
But, you know, I was eager to kind of come back and compete against the girls I saw playing here last year.

Q. I was speaking to Rick Leach one time about you, because you're from our area, and Rick said the one thing -- I said, What most do you think about Lindsay? And he said the fact that people don't understand how hard you work to get where you are. It was a wonderful comment.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, he's a great guy.

Q. Do you feel that there's something missing today with some of the players? They have not worked as hard as you've worked?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: You know, it's hard to comment on that, because I know for a long time there was maybe a misconception about me and how hard I worked or my priorities. I think one of the reasons I've been able to be so good, so consistent through the years, was because of that. But I think that the players in general work much harder today than when I first started in the early '90s. There's such an emphasis on fitness and being in shape and players practicing a lot. I think because of that sometimes we see a few more injuries.
But on the other hand, I think that the fitness has risen dramatically, especially when the Williams started coming out and they were the first ones beside Martina Navratilova to be really fit and strong and kind of upped the ante for everybody.
I think, in general, now everybody knows this is a business. You have a limited amount of time to excel, and everyone tries to take advantage it have.

Q. One of your important coaches and mentors, Lynne Rolley, is going to be inducted into one of California's tennis hall of fames. Could you take a moment and talk about her role in your career and what she meant to you as a coach?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, Lynne was a huge believer back when I was 15, 16 year old. She did a lot of work with both Chanda and myself and was traveling with us.
She was great. You know, I was really, really lucky to have such a positive female influence on my life and on my tennis. When she had a lot of belief in me in the years when I was doing well, but not a lot of people had pegged me to be a great player or do well.
She became like a second mom to me. She definitely was one of the reasons why I was able to make the leap from the pros, juniors to the pros and be successful.

Q. With Olympics coming up and you being an Olympic champion, can we talk about your Olympic memories and aspirations?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, I mean, I can't wait to go back in early August. It's been on the calendar for my family for a long time, the last few months. My aspiration is to, you know, do my best to win any medal. I really don't care. I keep saying what color, but I should say what medal it is. I hope to be able to bring something home for myself and for my country.
Obviously my best memory is winning the gold, but on top of that, I always think back to opening ceremonies in '96. It was in Atlanta, and the United States, obviously, were the last country to come out. I was with Mary Joe and Monica, two of my best friends on the tour at the time, and it was just a moment I'll never forget. We were so excited and giddy and, like, pure joy.
Normally you don't really see that from professional athletes and we just thought we were the luckiest people in the world. Sitting there, we were all crying when Muhammad Ali lit the torch. I always kind of think back to that moment. I wish I could go back and feel the happiness that the three of us felt at that time.

Q. There are a lot of young players who are going to the Olympics representing their countries, and when we ask them about their expectations they say they don't have any. They don't know what to expect. Just in case they read my paper, can you share what they should expect, how different it is?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Everybody's different in their personality. I absolutely love being part of a team, and especially an Olympic team, because you really feel like you're part of a country. There's so many athletes from my country that you don't know, but as soon as you see the red, white, and blue, or the name of your country, you're just automatically behind each other.
You meet so many people from so many different walks of life. You really are exposed to a lot of different cultures, and the sense of it's not tennis, it's not you against the opponent. You kind of feel like you have the backing of a lot of other hundred athletes behind you.

Q. Going back to the Atlanta moment, which was really special for you, was it the feeling of just all the kids from around the world? Was that what made it special?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Well, I think when you walk into a stadium, and I'm not exactly sure how many the stadium in Atlanta held, but 100, 110, I don't know exactly how many people.
But I mean, they're going absolutely crazy when we walked out, and we had been waiting like eight hours to make the march in there. We're like so excited, and you never heard -- I'll never hear a roar that big. Even though there's a thousand athletes from the U.S., 2,000, I'm not exactly sure how many, we all felt like we were together and they were all cheering for us.
And I think just all the emotions of being in the Olympics and being with the best athletes in the world was really a good time for all of us.

Q. You mentioned during the phone conference that you were impressed with Sharapova's result this year, as we all are. You play her on average once a year or so. Do you think she's progressing in her game?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Oh, yeah.

Q. Or is it just about being healthy?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Every athlete, the No. 1 trick is to be healthy. But on top of that, you always have to improve your game, and that might not be adding stuff, but always kind of upping the ante with your shots.
Her groundstrokes are better today than they were the year before, than they were the year before. Her serve is better. And while she might play the same style of game, everything's gotten better. Injuries always take a toll on a player. It stops your progression. You always have to take a few steps back.
So when you are healthy and can take advantage of the offweeks and be able to train really hard, it always sets you up better for the long run.
I think she appears to be a lot more mature, playing a little bit more for herself, not kind of looking up so much and getting directions from others anymore. Someone said she won Doha without her father there, which is probably a huge step in a good direction. She's obviously becoming more of a woman is maybe a strong word there, but becoming more of an adult.
If you can make your own decisions, I think you're going to be a better player on the court.

Q. You've heard about Monica on Dancing With the Stars?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I heard she's just doing so well, so I wish her all the luck. I mean, I hope to God I don't play Monday night, because I really want to see that. I think she'll do well. I think she'll make the first few rounds. When people see her I think they'll be reminded of why they loved her so much. We'll be voting for her.

Q. Would you follow in her footsteps?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Oh, God, no. She's way too courageous for me.

Elldee
Mar 16th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Thank you. Nice long interview. I'm almost boring reading about the whole pregnancy coming back thing... Lindsay must be bored of saying it. Lindsay likes Indian Wells because it's in her home state, the court's not that great for her, IMO.

Mar 17th, 2008, 02:19 AM
The court must be pretty good, she's been very successful at this tournament

The Daviator
Mar 17th, 2008, 03:05 AM
March 15, 2008

Lindsay Davenport

INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA

Q. I'm wondering if maybe another announcement coming. Chanda said on the TV warmup or intro that you're coming back after your first baby.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Oh, God. (laughter.) That's actually funny. Last night I was having dinner with a girlfriend and she was ordering sushi and some alcohol and I was like, No, I don't want either. She's like, You're pregnant. I'm like, Are you're crazy? I'm about to go play. No. 100 percent not true. Only baby.

I don't get this question and answer :confused:

Dave.
Mar 17th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Thank you. Nice long interview. I'm almost boring reading about the whole pregnancy coming back thing... Lindsay must be bored of saying it. Lindsay likes Indian Wells because it's in her home state, the court's not that great for her, IMO.

I agree, I've actually been tired of it for a while now. But it is such a huge story and so impressive from Lindsay what she's doing. Apart from us lot here who follow Lindsay every week, everyone else is probably just hearing about it for the 1st time. I think journalists will be asking her about it probabl till the end of this year.

LindsayRulz
Mar 17th, 2008, 03:42 AM
I don't get this question and answer :confused:

Same here :confused:

Elldee
Mar 17th, 2008, 11:14 AM
First baby implies there's a second baby?

Nikki
Mar 17th, 2008, 02:34 PM
First baby implies there's a second baby?

Thats how I interpreted the answer & if you are pregnant then you tend to avoid alcohol & raw fish.

Nice interview though:)

Lindsay is playing in Stadium 1 today:

STADIUM 1 start 11:30 am
[3] J Jankovic (SRB) vs [27] A Sugiyama (JPN) - WTA
Not Before 1:00 PM
[19] C Moya (ESP) vs [9] J Blake (USA) - ATP
[WC] D Young (USA) vs [2] R Nadal (ESP) - ATP
Y Chan (TPE) vs [24] L Davenport (USA) - WTA
Not Before 7:00 PM
[1] A Ivanovic (SRB) vs [31] T Garbin (ITA) - WTA
[27] P Kohlschreiber (GER) vs [3] N Djokovic (SRB) - ATP

Elldee
Mar 17th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I remember reading recently an article where she said she was friendly with Daniela and Sveta... where was that, does anyone know?

lindsayno1
Mar 17th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Dani is one of the rudest people i have ever met in my life...

LDF
Mar 17th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I agree, I've actually been tired of it for a while now. But it is such a huge story and so impressive from Lindsay what she's doing. Apart from us lot here who follow Lindsay every week, everyone else is probably just hearing about it for the 1st time. I think journalists will be asking her about it probabl till the end of this year.

I feel the same way on all counts - you just know that at Wimbledon and the US Open some members of the media will still be like 'did you ever imagine being here again after your pregnancy', etc. :yawn:

dybbuk
Mar 17th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Thats how I interpreted the answer & if you are pregnant then you tend to avoid alcohol & raw fish.

That and asking if Daniela will be baby-sitting are two of the dumbest questions I can remember. :tape:

LindsayfanTV
Mar 18th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Match against Chan has just started ~ does anyone know if there is a free livestream anywhere

-NAJ-
Mar 18th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Livestream ??? help us :)

The Daviator
Mar 18th, 2008, 12:42 AM
There is none :(

cheo23
Mar 18th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Livestream?? :sad: Will there be one For the Semis????

hurricanejeanne
Mar 18th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Lindsay just dropped the second set and isn't doing well on serve at all. :(

LindsayRulz
Mar 18th, 2008, 02:44 AM
6-4 5-7 6-2 :tape:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/e8/fullj.65c694d28690fcdeebd0290934dd8cb7/65c694d28690fcdeebd0290934dd8cb7-getty-77848965ms031_pacific_life_.jpg

:tape::haha:

Lindsayfan32
Mar 18th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Lindsay wins 6-4 5-7 6-2 was Lindsay playing badly or did chan play well above herself or a combo of the two. It seemed from the livescore it was a battle was that the case. I think the photo Lindsayrulz just posted says it all really. :)

The Daviator
Mar 18th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Post that pic in the GM thread LR :lol:

Lindsay :tape: Broken 6 times, she fought well though, I guess these matches will help her mentally if anything.

I saw some of JJ's match, and she was quite impressive, I'm not optimistic :tape:

hurricanejeanne
Mar 18th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Happy Lindsay made it through in the end. Her serve was really, really off. She couldn't get many in the second set.

Hopefully Lindsay finds her serve for the next match against Maid Marion. :scared:

LDF
Mar 18th, 2008, 02:49 AM
That picture :spit:

Good fight, but Lindsay really needs to lift her game in the coming round(s)!

LindsayRulz
Mar 18th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Post that pic in the GM thread LR :lol:

Lindsay :tape: Broken 6 times, she fought well though, I guess these matches will help her mentally if anything.

I saw some of JJ's match, and she was quite impressive, I'm not optimistic :tape:

Added in the first post :lol:

LindsayRulz
Mar 18th, 2008, 02:51 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/03/fullj.8e4e049394ea138ed9713e715aff103f/8e4e049394ea138ed9713e715aff103f-getty-77848965ms029_pacific_life_.jpg

:hearts:

hurricanejeanne
Mar 18th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Mama was not happy tonight, judging by these pictures :lol:

LindsayRulz
Mar 18th, 2008, 02:56 AM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080318/capt.ef7c402fc3f04ccab1c2a0b33eb03652.indian_wells _tennis_cama128.jpg

Lindsayfanumber1
Mar 18th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Lol at the first pic :haha:
So relieved now that she won :)

The Daviator
Mar 18th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Love the 2nd pic :hearts:

Ah Linds, even if you're a headcase in your later years, we still love you :kiss:

LindsayRulz
Mar 18th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Lindsay vs Marion last match on stadium 1 tomorrow!

Dave.
Mar 18th, 2008, 03:32 AM
6-4 5-7 6-2 :tape:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/e8/fullj.65c694d28690fcdeebd0290934dd8cb7/65c694d28690fcdeebd0290934dd8cb7-getty-77848965ms031_pacific_life_.jpg

:tape::haha:

I think this pic relates nicely to my sig. :lol: I love it when she looks angry though, she gets motivated afterwards. Angry Lindsay :hearts:

I hope she improves now though. Losing a set to Chan is inexcusible considering her form in Memphis. I love Marion but I will be angry if Lindsay loses.

LADL
Mar 18th, 2008, 04:00 AM
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/photogallery/indianwells/f_10.jpg

©April Graham/IWTG
Indian Wells, California (March 17): Lindsay Davenport met a four-legged fan during her autograph session. The dog was from Canine Companions for Independence.

dybbuk
Mar 18th, 2008, 04:36 AM
If it isn't Ana it's Lindsay. :bigcry: Not feeling good about the Bartoli match, but she can only get better I suppose. Vamos Lindsay. :kiss:

lindsayno1
Mar 18th, 2008, 08:20 AM
LOL dont mess with that biatch!

Elldee
Mar 18th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Luckily Bartoli didn't play great going from 6-3 5-1 before winning 6-3 7-6. Nice winner off the lob on wtatour.com video.

Elldee
Mar 18th, 2008, 03:57 PM
PACIFIC LIFE OPEN

March 17, 2008

Lindsay Davenport

INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA

Q. How was it for you?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah. You know, it was tough. You know, I really felt like I should have, could have, really played a little better and focused. I wish it would have been two sets. I was up in the second and had a lot of chance and a lot of opportunities that just kind of slipped away. By the time I got to 5-All in the second I was so frustrated that I really let it go to a third set.
Having said that, I'm happy to walk off the court playing the way I did the last four games and taking back control and playing better. But I was just getting so, like, frustrated the second set, which, you know, next time hopefully I can keep my cool a little better and focus in on the task at hand.

Q. Mostly frustrated at what you were doing or not doing?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, exactly. I just really felt lethargic out there. She was playing well and I just felt like I wasn't really on my toes as much as I should be and wasn't really attacking the ball like I need to be. Just kind of drawing everything out. It was like a slow death.
Some of that was definitely because of her play. She forced me into some errors and she'd come up with some good winners. It was just really frustrating, especially in the second.

Q. So what would be the goal in the tournament with a deep field, a good field? You've done very well at times in the comeback. Australia wasn't quite the level, and then you had a strange Fed Cup loss. Coming in here, what are you thinking when you look in the draw?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Well, I was obviously really excited to play here. It's really my second big tournament besides Melbourne, and I felt like I got a more favorable draw here than in Melbourne. I wanted to try to take advantage of that as best I can.
I played good players along the way, but I feel like these are the type of players I want to play. You know, Bartolis, and hopefully I can win and get a chance to play Jankovic and really test my game out against those girls.
I believe when I'm playing well I can still challenge everybody and do well. I played some of my best tennis in Memphis a few weeks ago, and obviously the conditions here are a lot different. If I can get going and play well and be positive and have some energy, I feel like I'm still quite dangerous.

Q. You were saying after your loss to Maria in Australia you felt like you really had lost a step. Were you just saying that out of frustration, or do you still feel that way?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I definitely felt like that that night. I worked a lot on it, especially after Fed Cup when I had some time, and did well in Memphis. You know, I maybe didn't train as much coming into here, just by getting back from Memphis and trying to rest and everything.
It's definitely something I always need to work on, and hopefully I'll get it back here. (laughter.)

Q. How much do you like this tournament? I mean, is it's sort of your home event.

Q. I mean, is it favorable conditions for you, do you find? Do you feel like you've had a good time here, struggled here?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, for the most part, I think I've had the most success overall here than most tournaments, won a lot of matches here. Ironically, the conditions aren't the greatest for me. The court isn't fast. It's, you know, a little bit grainy and a little bit slow. I like normally when it's not so windy the conditions here: light, thin air.
You know, you can definitely hit the ball hard through the air. But I think most of the time -- this is my favorite tournament. I've always said that. I have a lot of, obviously, friends in the area, family that comes. Turned pro here. I have a lot of special memories in this neck of the woods.

Q. You know what it takes to be at the very, very top. The amount of commitment and time and all the rest of it. When you look what you're doing at the moment and with your new life, how on how on earth do you juggle all that?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Everything takes a little bit of a sacrifice, and I still dedicate as much time as I can to my career. It's certainly not as much as I did for about an eight-year stretch between '98 and 2006 or something.
But I've tried to make the most of my time in everything that I do. And, you know, on a day like today it's really frustrating. I won't see my son from 3:00 p.m. today until tomorrow morning, because by the time I get back he'll be in bed.
So those kind of days kind of bum me out when I'm still sitting here. But for the most part, I'm really lucky. I feel like I get a chance to do it all. I still get a chance to do my career and play tennis and still be a mom normally 18 to 20 hours out of the day.
I feel lucky in that regard. But I think everything takes a little bit of a sacrifice, like, working out or getting treatment from a doctor or physiotherapists. When I'm home, I have to be careful with what I spend my time doing.

Q. Have you always been a multi-tasker?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Better now. I enjoy being busy. I enjoy having things to do. A lot of what makes the tour life so boring is when you're not playing and not practicing there's a lot of down time.
Especially with my husband not traveling there was a lot of down time in foreign countries. Kind of drives you crazy. Now I feel like I'm more fulfilled than ever on the road. Just trying to get as much time in the day when I'm at home to do everything I need to do.

Q. How do you clear your head of all the things that come with being a mom, especially a new mom, to actually focus on actually hitting balls in the court?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Sometimes it's a nice relief and break to go on court and know you have 90 minutes to focus on something else. A lot of times he comes with me. I have really, really great people that watch him, so every time I leave him I'm never ever concerned about his well-being.
But for -- you know, it's challenging. For here it's a first time he's been sick and we had to take him to the doctor, so yesterday I was stressed out of my mind like yelling at my husband, all because, you know, my son has a fever and he's not sleeping.
But for the most part we juggle it pretty well.

Q. How high was his fever?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: It was, like, I think 101. But I think it's mostly because he's teething they think. But he has a rash all over his body and he's really cranky. It's the first time it happened, so I was like, it was a nightmare yesterday.

Q. Did you have to take him over to Urgent Care or was there a doctor around?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: The tournament doctor here. (laughter.) I'm like, I'm really sorry. (laughter.) I know there's probably a player waiting. But, no. When I went there was no player in there, luckily.

Q. What time of day did you go?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: It was around, like, 3:00, 3:30. I don't know. What do you guys think? Somewhere around there.

Q. He's a great looking kid and very big kid.

Q. Do you see him grow every week or so?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: He's huge. He's great. We take it as a compliment. Someone the other day was like, Oh, your son's so big, and I'm like, Yeah, thank you. She goes to me, I had a friend who had a really obese baby. (laughter.) Don't worry, when he grew tall, he grew out of it. I'm like, Oh, my God. I was like, Oh, God, okay. That's pretty funny.
But, yeah, he's big. He's a big bruiser. We think he's great.

Q. In 17, 18 years he could be playing tackle for us.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Hopefully. We're lining him up to be a linebacker, feeding him a lot.

Q. There's a big cultural event going to happen tomorrow with Monica on TV, Dancing with the Stars.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah. I am so bummed, because I play second after 7:00 p.m. I'm like, what are the odds that that happens? But I'm so excited for her. I'm hoping someone in this area TiVos it for me so I can watch it after my match. I sent her an e-mail today wishing her good luck, and there's signs in the locker room for all the players to vote for her and watch.
I swear, she's so great, she's so courageous I can't wait to see her.

Q. Let's go scouting report here. She had sort of short little fast footwork. She might be able to pull it off.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I think she will do well in the first few rounds. I think just with the mindset of an athlete, knowing what needs to be done, I'm sure she's worked her butt off for six months or whatever. She has that kind of mentality.
I read a list of some of the people she's going against. Obviously some are going to be tough to beat, like Kristi Yamaguchi, and ice skater. She seems to have a pretty big advantage there.
There are some others I think she will take out in the first few rounds.

Q. She might get a sympathy vote.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I think so. I think people, when they see her, will see her and remember why they adored her for so many years.

Q. So you think she'll save her grunting for the later rounds?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I think she's going to make a run deep. I think she's going to go at least in the final four, final five and see who she gets up against.

Q. Are you getting some ideas for you, Lindsay?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No, never.

Q. Monica's coming from that part of the world that Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic are from. What are your thoughts from those young guns in Serbia?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I think they're great, and they are two completely opposite girls. But the country seems to just be exploding with talent on the men's and the women's side.
It's great for a country that obviously in the past decade -- well, for a long time -- has gone through a really tough time. I think it gives the people lots to be happy for and to cheer for, and they fight really hard. That's one characteristic that all of them have. They don't give anything away, and they're very competitive.
Having said that, I don't know any of them particularly well, but Ivanovic is a really super nice girl. I know her a little bit more, and I'm a big fan of hers.

Q. Do you think the sense of fun that they have on court is important in terms of selling the women's game?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I think they're great ambassadors for the game. I think that Ivanovic is one of the prettiest girls we have playing, and she's sweet and competitive and graceful at the same time.
I think that, like I said, they're both really big fighters. I think that they're excellent role models for everybody.

Q. How much are you looking beyond the Olympics with regard to competitive tennis, or does much depend on how you play between now and then?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: You know, I've thought about it really through the Open, and then haven't really thought about it much in the fall at all. That's kind of been the goal all along is to, scheduling-wise, is to get through New York, and then we'll kind of reassess things.
I'm sure probably at Wimbledon I'll have a better idea of what happens in the fall. You know, maybe I'll play a little bit. I'm not -- I have no idea at this point.

Q. Do you know what you're going to play in the spring as far as clay court events? Are you going to play in the French?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I'm playing Amelia Island, Fed Cup, and then nothing until the grass.

Q. At one point you were talking about playing Roland Garros.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I was? (Shaking head.) No, happily no.

Q. Maybe I'm wrong.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, no.

See, Lindsay agrees with me. Lindsay loves playing in Cali, not so much the court.

LindsayRulz
Mar 18th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Tough week for Lindsay's mental. Second week of IW, baby jagger has been sick and now she'll be stressed for Monica too :lol:.

hurricanejeanne
Mar 18th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I can so see Lindsay freaking out over Jagger having a fever and a rash. (And I didn't know infants can get rashes when they're teething.) Hopefully, Jagger is doing better so Lindsay can completely focus on her match today.

And it's great to see Linds pulling for Monica on Dancing with the Stars too. :D :lol:

ChampLindsay
Mar 18th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Not her best win against Chan, but hopefully she finds her really great Memphis form again, to beat this horrible 'Pfannkuchen'face!:lol::worship:

GO LINDSAY:hearts::hearts:

Nikki
Mar 18th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Not her finest win but she got through. I hope she improves in the next match.

MH0861
Mar 19th, 2008, 01:30 AM
"No, happily no" about playing RG :spit:

Dave.
Mar 19th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Q. At one point you were talking about playing Roland Garros.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I was? (Shaking head.) No, happily no.

Q. Maybe I'm wrong.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, no.

:haha: Lindsay is a one-off when it comes to Roland Garros.

The Daviator
Mar 19th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Q. Monica's coming from that part of the world that Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic are from. What are your thoughts from those young guns in Serbia?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I think they're great, and they are two completely opposite girls. But the country seems to just be exploding with talent on the men's and the women's side.
It's great for a country that obviously in the past decade -- well, for a long time -- has gone through a really tough time. I think it gives the people lots to be happy for and to cheer for, and they fight really hard. That's one characteristic that all of them have. They don't give anything away, and they're very competitive.
Having said that, I don't know any of them particularly well, but Ivanovic is a really super nice girl. I know her a little bit more, and I'm a big fan of hers.

Q. Do you think the sense of fun that they have on court is important in terms of selling the women's game?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I think they're great ambassadors for the game. I think that Ivanovic is one of the prettiest girls we have playing, and she's sweet and competitive and graceful at the same time.
I think that, like I said, they're both really big fighters. I think that they're excellent role models for everybody.

:hearts:

LDF
Mar 19th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Lindsay wins the first set 6-2 by hitting 4 consecutive aces :worship:

The Daviator
Mar 19th, 2008, 06:47 AM
That was awesome :haha: :bowdown:

Lindsayfan32
Mar 19th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I'm only watching a live score but the numbers are impressive. 8 aces and 0 doubles is a good place to start. Maybe Chan did Lindsay a favour taking her to three sets she played all the bad shots out of her system.

LDF
Mar 19th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Lindsay won 6-2 7-5. :bounce:

She hit 17 aces :speakles:

LindsayRulz
Mar 19th, 2008, 07:31 AM
6-2 7-5

17 aces :haha:

LindsayRulz
Mar 19th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Time to go to bed now, it's 2:32 AM here :zzz:

The Daviator
Mar 19th, 2008, 07:40 AM
You think that's bad, it's 6:40 am here :speakles: :haha:

Anyway, good night for me, Ana/Linds both won :D Now time for bed :lol:

Lindsayfan32
Mar 19th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Good night Lindsayrulz. Hope you get a good night's sleep. I'm tucking into my dinner 5:40pm down under. Glad Lindsay didn't end up giving me indigestion while I was eating. what a great serving night can anyone remeber a match where Lindsay hit 17 aces? She must have been watching Karlovic play in the match before her and some of his play rubbed off on her. Hope she has saved some of that for Jankovic

:bounce::worship::):clap2:

brayster87
Mar 19th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Good night Lindsayrulz. Hope you get a good night's sleep. I'm tucking into my dinner 5:40pm down under. Glad Lindsay didn't end up giving me indigestion while I was eating. what a great serving night can anyone remeber a match where Lindsay hit 17 aces? She must have been watching Karlovic play in the match before her and some of his play rubbed off on her. Hope she has saved some of that for Jankovic

:bounce::worship::):clap2:

Is 17 aces a record for Lindsay in a match? I can't think the last time she hit that many aces lol....Yes its 5:45pm down under as well.....good night LindsayRulz:):wavey:

P.S you have dinner early Lindsayfan32!

Lindsayfan32
Mar 19th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Is 17 aces a record for Lindsay in a match? I can't think the last time she hit that many aces lol....Yes its 5:45pm down under as well.....good night LindsayRulz:):wavey:

P.S you have dinner early Lindsayfan32!

Tell me about it. I'm one of these sad sacks that still lives at home with the folks. If i had my way we wouldn't eat until 6:30pm at the earliest.

brayster87
Mar 19th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Tell me about it. I'm one of these sad sacks that still lives at home with the folks. If i had my way we wouldn't eat until 6:30pm at the earliest.

i usually eat around 7pm when home and away is on :)

ChampLindsay
Mar 19th, 2008, 10:13 AM
After the Chan- match i'm suprised that Lindsay won it so clearly in straight sets!but anyway it's awesome that she did it:worship::worship:

well done Lindsay:hearts:
17aces:hearts::hearts:

hurricanejeanne
Mar 19th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I just woke up to see Lindsay had won against Maid Marion, but hit 17 aces! :D
I really should sleep through her matches (at least the ones that I would get stuck live scoring anyways) more often. :p

Much nicer stats this time Linds. Good luck in the quarterfinals! :D :banana:

LindsayfanTV
Mar 19th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Great stats for Lindsay ~ I thought Bartoli would give her some problems but it looks as though she is cranking it up for Jelena

Does anyone have the Bartoli match? ~ British Eurosport chose to show Radwanska's match rather than Lindsay's. AAAAAGGHHHHHH!

Lindsayfan32
Mar 19th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Great stats for Lindsay ~ I thought Bartoli would give her some problems but it looks as though she is cranking it up for Jelena

Does anyone have the Bartoli match? ~ British Eurosport chose to show Radwanska's match rather than Lindsay's. AAAAAGGHHHHHH!

I second this request if anyone has Lindsay's match against Bartoli could they please upload it as I would love to see it. Lindsay hitting 17 aces is something that does happen too often and I would love to see it.

Elldee
Mar 19th, 2008, 01:09 PM

No way! I sky plus-ed it and assumed if it wasn't Lindsay it'd at least be Sharapova. That's RIDICULOUS.

dybbuk
Mar 19th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Vamos Lindsay! :inlove: 17 aces is incredible. Beat Janko now. :kiss:

Dave.
Mar 19th, 2008, 05:02 PM
What a performance from Lindsay. :hearts:

These QF points will do her ranking the world of good, and anything extra from now will be icing on the cake.

LindsayfanTV
Mar 19th, 2008, 05:12 PM
No way! I sky plus-ed it and assumed if it wasn't Lindsay it'd at least be Sharapova. That's RIDICULOUS.

I know ~ you wonder who does the scheduling at Eurosport!> They showed Sharapova highlights last night, so I was sure it would be Lindsay for this morning. Maybe they will show later on but I doubt it! Groan!:(

dav abu
Mar 19th, 2008, 05:14 PM
well done Lindsay-great stuff :cool:

LindsayRulz
Mar 19th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Does anyone have the post-match interview of Lindsay after her victory against Marion?

QUEENLINDSAY
Mar 19th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I saw the match and Lindsay was amazing! The games she won on her serve- God she is dominating.
some part of the match where looks like she doesn't care. She lose point in two easy put away like she doesn't care.
I think, she'l be fine vs Jankovic.

ChampLindsay
Mar 19th, 2008, 07:48 PM
omg:eek:
In Lindsays match against Bartoli, they showed her shoes, where '' Mrs. Leach'' is written on!!:wavey::hearts:

Nikki
Mar 19th, 2008, 11:37 PM
A much better result/scoreline this round. Well done Lindsay on making the QF:bounce:

joaco
Mar 19th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I haven't seen that match, but I intend to. Hope she plays this way against Jankovic

ChampLindsay
Mar 20th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Lindsay will play as third match on CC tomorrow!
So there is a great chance that Eurosport will show it live!:hearts::hearts::hearts:

Thursday, March 20, 2008

STADIUM 1 start 11:00 am
[1] A Ivanovic (SRB) vs [12] V Zvonareva (RUS) - WTA
Not Before 1:00 PM
S Wawrinka (SUI) vs [16] G Canas (ARG) or [3] N Djokovic (SRB) - ATP
[3] J Jankovic (SRB) vs [24] L Davenport (USA) - WTA
M Koryttseva (UKR) / V Uhlirova (CZE) or [8] D Hantuchova (SVK) / A Sugiyama (JPN) vs [4] A Bondarenko (UKR) / K Bondarenko (UKR) or D Safina (RUS) / E Vesnina (RUS) - WTA
Not Before 7:00 PM
[8] R Gasquet (FRA) or [9] J Blake (USA) vs [2] R Nadal (ESP) - ATP
[1] B Bryan (USA) / M Bryan (USA) or M Mirnyi (BLR) / J Murray (GBR) vs [4] J Erlich (ISR) / A Ram (ISR) - ATP

lindsayno1
Mar 20th, 2008, 01:58 PM
i think jankoic will win! At least she beat Marion - i cant stand her!

LindsayfanTV
Mar 20th, 2008, 09:48 PM
If Lindsay plays as well as she did against Marion then I think she could upset Jankovich who tends to counterpunch rather than dominate. Lindsay has got the winning advantage over Jelena although she lost the last match in Beijing ~ she has so much more match experience under her belt now.:D

I predict a three set thriller! :eek: Eurosport had better show this match ~ but I have my doubts!:rolleyes:

LindsayfanTV
Mar 20th, 2008, 11:18 PM
if anyone knows of any livestream feeds, please post as it looks like the wonderful eurosport is not going to show the Lindsay/Jelena match. They are truly priceless as a broadcaster!

LindsayfanTV
Mar 20th, 2008, 11:34 PM
i take it all back ~ they are showing the match. Sorry Eurosport

#1SteffiGraf#1
Mar 21st, 2008, 12:03 AM
man, Linds hurt her back...shes playing on though. Hope she can fight through this :)

#1SteffiGraf#1
Mar 21st, 2008, 12:04 AM
ugh, she had to retire!

dybbuk
Mar 21st, 2008, 12:07 AM
Ugh, Lindsay. :sad: Get well soon. :bigcry: :hug:

I know it's not a big deal, but did she have to finish the set? I lost 3000 vCash because she did. :sobbing:

LindsayfanTV
Mar 21st, 2008, 12:09 AM
:sad::crying2::sobbing::tears:Poor Lindsay ~ she looked so upset when her back started to play up. Wonder if she will pull out of Miami and Amelia Island.

It is such a shame as she has been so injury free since coming back. Let's hope it is a temporary set back

LindsayRulz
Mar 21st, 2008, 12:12 AM
Lindsay :sobbing: I hope the injury isn't too painful and that she'll be able to play at least AI :sad: Does it seem very serious? :unsure:

#1SteffiGraf#1
Mar 21st, 2008, 12:13 AM
I feel bad for her, having to retire at IW.

Back issue sucks, its hard to get 100%. I wonder if shell play again before grass court starts?

ChampLindsay
Mar 21st, 2008, 12:15 AM
its soooo sad:sad:

i was so happy to see Lindsay again on TV and than such a bad injury:sad:
it's such a shame, i'm so sad now:sad::sad:

Get well for Miami , Lindsay!:kiss:

The Daviator
Mar 21st, 2008, 12:16 AM
Linds :hug: At 31, and already injury prone, things like this were always a possibility, I hope she can play Miami, it could just be stiffness, anyway shame this had to happen at IW, we're still waiting for that big win :(

Lindsayfan32
Mar 21st, 2008, 12:17 AM
Bugger. Lindsay been injury free for the whole of her comeback. Indian wells must be cursed for Lindsay. Lindsay had two bulging disks when she last played here in 2006 hope it's not that again as she should be out for a long time.

LindsayfanTV
Mar 21st, 2008, 12:21 AM
She doesn't particularly like the Miami tournament, does she? Maybe, she will take the two weeks off and hopefully if it is just stiffness she can get fully fit for Amelia Island.

I hope it isn't the disk problem ~ that kept her out for months :(

hurricanejeanne
Mar 21st, 2008, 12:22 AM
Linds :hug: At 31, and already injury prone, things like this were always a possibility, I hope she can play Miami, it could just be stiffness, anyway shame this had to happen at IW, we're still waiting for that big win :(

I really hope it's just stiffness. I'm really scared it could be her discs again like in 2006, that would be so heartbreaking. :sad:

Please get well soon, Lindsay :hug: :sobbing:

auntie janie
Mar 21st, 2008, 12:31 AM
What a shame! Poor Linds :tears:

dybbuk
Mar 21st, 2008, 12:31 AM
People saying Lindsay was crying scares me and makes me think it's something worse than just stiffness. :unsure: Maybe she was just upset about disappointing the crowd instead of it being serious? :(

LindsayfanTV
Mar 21st, 2008, 12:34 AM
She really looked upset and was grimacing in pain ~ like she did in New Haven in 2006.

LADL
Mar 21st, 2008, 12:35 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/60/fullj.13e3b8fc5b4240f9f5cb4cfe01c0b550/13e3b8fc5b4240f9f5cb4cfe01c0b550-getty-77848962hh020_pacific_life_.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/e1/fullj.59b6a13e501e774fe6968dc8b6a11047/59b6a13e501e774fe6968dc8b6a11047-getty-77848962hh019_pacific_life_.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/2e/fullj.562e90f7784fa1858d37b03e634788cc/562e90f7784fa1858d37b03e634788cc-getty-77848962hh021_pacific_life_.jpg

Lindsayfanumber1
Mar 21st, 2008, 12:35 AM
Linds :bigcry:
Hope you are ok baby :sad:

The Daviator
Mar 21st, 2008, 12:37 AM
She couldn't twist her back, which is why she sent so many FHs long, I hope she wasn't in too much pain and that it was just that she was in IW like Alex said, she smacked two beauties in the last game though, classic Linds :drool: :lol:

Lindsayfan32
Mar 21st, 2008, 01:03 AM
I really hope I'm wrong and it's just stiffness I would hate to see Lindsay get another long term injury and miss out on the olympics it was her comeback goal. when I read the first post it was the first thing I thought of but I'm no expert on backs it's just everything else that is falling apart on me.

Dave.
Mar 21st, 2008, 01:04 AM
Lindsay. :sad: I'm just so worried about her retiring. I keep thinking any minor setback and she'll just call it quits. This week Jagger had his problems and now Lindsay is injured, that's all it takes for her to start doubting this. I hope she recovers quickly. :unsure:

Lindsay, please miss Miami. She doesn't like the tournament and she will have a worse draw due to her seed. Recover and win your 4th Amelia Island. :bounce:

dav abu
Mar 21st, 2008, 01:10 AM
get well soon Lindsay xx

hurricanejeanne
Mar 21st, 2008, 01:17 AM
People saying Lindsay was crying scares me and makes me think it's something worse than just stiffness. :unsure: Maybe she was just upset about disappointing the crowd instead of it being serious? :(

It scares me too. I'm hoping she just more upset that her back is bothering her again and that it was bad enough for her to have to retire a match at her home event.

I did find this little article already up:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=reu-womenpacific_pix&prov=reuters&type=lgns

By Mark Lamport-Stokes

INDIAN WELLS, California, March 20 (Reuters) - Third seed Jelena Jankovic reached the last four at the Pacific Life Open when American Lindsay Davenport retired from their quarter-final because of a back injury on Thursday.

The 31-year-old Davenport, twice former champion at Indian Wells, summoned her trainer when trailing Serb Jankovic 4-1 before deciding to withdraw after losing the first set 6-2.

“I’ve gone down this road before and you never know, maybe it’ll loosen up,” Davenport told reporters. “My back was injured before I came here (to Indian Wells) but it got better and got better.

“Then I woke up this morning and I just couldn’t move. It was pretty obvious to me after two games that it was pretty sore out there and pretty hard to rotate.”
Jankovic will face compatriot Ana Ivanovic in the semi-finals after the top seed brushed aside Russia’s Vera Zvonareva 6-1 6-4 earlier in the day.

The 20-year-old Ivanovic, bidding for her first WTA title of the year, outplayed her opponent in a baseline battle to seal victory in just over an hour at Indian Wells Tennis Garden.

“I started really well,” Ivanovic told reporters after reaching her third semi-final of the season. “I thought I played some of my best tennis here so I was really happy about that.

“In the second set, I had a break up and then lost a little bit of concentration. I started to get a bit emotional and tried to go for too much. I lost my rhythm a little bit.

“I was just happy that at the end of the second set, I managed to keep calm and play good,” added the Serb, who hit 18 winners in the match to Zvonareva’s 10.

World number two Ivanovic, who lost to Russian Maria Sharapova in the Australian Open final in January, broke Zvonareva in the second and fourth games to breeze through the opening set in 24 minutes.

Service breaks were exchanged early in the second set before the pony-tailed Serb again broke in the ninth game when Zvonareva hit a forehand wide.

“It doesn’t get easy from here,” Ivanovic added. “It only gets tougher every match.

“Jelena and I have played many times before and we always have close matches.”

Fourth-seeded Sharapova and fellow Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova, the second seed, will contest the other semi-final. (Editing by Ed Osmond)

tennisboi
Mar 21st, 2008, 01:53 AM
Poor thing...I felt so sorry for her out there. She doesn't deserve this:sad: I hope she is fit and ready to go at Miami or at least AI

LindsayRulz
Mar 21st, 2008, 03:00 AM
I don't care about Miami at all. I just want to see Lindsay healthy for AI.

The Daviator
Mar 21st, 2008, 03:07 AM
A couple of wins in Miami would be great for her ranking though, but if she's not fit then of course she should miss it, I think she'll be ok, she pulled up lame in the NH final in '06 and reached the USO quarters right after.

The most important thing is that LINDSAY is fit for the Warsaw exHo!!!

LindsayRulz
Mar 21st, 2008, 03:21 AM
A couple of wins in Miami would be great for her ranking though, but if she's not fit then of course she should miss it, I think she'll be ok, she pulled up lame in the NH final in '06 and reached the USO quarters right after.

The most important thing is that LINDSAY is fit for the Warsaw exHo!!!

:spit:

But yeah if she wants to be top 24 by Wimbledon she should play Miami. It won't be easy to do well there because she propably won't be seeded.

hurricanejeanne
Mar 21st, 2008, 03:28 AM
If her back improves for Miami, then I say play. She may get a remotely decent draw and win a couple of rounds. If not, skip it and aim for Amelia Island.

And I have no idea why she's playing that Warsaw exho other than she's trying to get a head start on Jagger's college fund. :p

Lindsayfanumber1
Mar 21st, 2008, 04:21 AM
I don't care about Miami at all. I just want to see Lindsay healthy for AI.

Same here :)

Dave.
Mar 21st, 2008, 06:24 AM
There was me thinking a tier 1 QF would be so great for her ranking. It's only 115 points and she'll only move up to around 30-32. A win over Jankovic would have got her into that top 30. :bigcry:

Let's hope for a good draw in Miami and/or AI, she needs points if this comeback can continue to the higher levels.

lindsayno1
Mar 21st, 2008, 03:30 PM
anyone got any pics from the match?! As if she was crying! :(

Elldee
Mar 21st, 2008, 04:20 PM
She was crying. In the injury time out she was doing the upset smile thing. I thought I saw tears on her cheeks in the next game too. Lindsay's interview is on ASAP transcripts and she says that if she's forced out of the next two tournaments she'll play more in Europe, so that's interesting. She clearly has big plans for the grass. This also explains why she pulled out of the doubles... but I'm confident-ish for Miami if she was able to nurse the back for four rounds at IW.

mike/topgun
Mar 21st, 2008, 06:46 PM
It seems to me that she'll be ok for Miami, or at least for AI, then would love to see her playing more in Europe ;)

This was not a bad tourney and JJ was playing well, so even if Lndsay showed up healthy she would have had big porblems. I would not be so disappointed, she gave it a try, was not ok, retired - it was not the first time. Hope Lindsay gets well soon:)

Elldee
Mar 21st, 2008, 06:58 PM
I really dislike Jankovic. I hope Ana comes through :D

LDF
Mar 22nd, 2008, 01:29 PM
Poor Lindsay :sad: :hug:

I didn't see the match, and I'm not exactly eager to watch it now, but it's such a shame to see Lindsay get injured at one of her favourite tournaments.

The positive thing is that it doesn't seem to be a recurrence of her bulging disc problem from 2006, more like muscle issues.

Her game looks to be in fairly decent shape. However, I have a few observations and I'd like to hear your views:
- She's not recovering to the centre of the court well enough just yet. There are times where, if she has to move slightly wide to a groundstroke, she fails to move back and leaves the other side totally exposed.
- Her forehand is actually better than her backhand at the moment. Her BH has always tended to be the more solid wing but in 2008 I'd say that she's looking more confident on the FH.
- She's still hitting a few too many balls down the middle. I'd like to see her go for the lines more on some crucial points.

LindsayfanTV
Mar 22nd, 2008, 04:09 PM
Agree with your view about Lindsay's game is in good shape and that she hasn't yet got the movement back which makes her recovery to the centre of the court a bit slower. I think that coupled with the fact that her shots have lacked depth and penetration has meant that other girls can get the upper hand and dictate rallies more than they used to

On the FH v BH ~ I think her FH used to be suspect at times but it has held up really well this year. I have seen her play some monster BHs since her return, so I would still say this is her big weapon.

The other area that is still very up and down is her serve ~ when it's on, she is unbelievable as she was against Bartoli. I think that is the key to her success in the big tournaments as it gives her the first big strike.

I do hope her comeback is not hindered by her back and it does seem like it is more muscular which is good.

Linday is such a legend and how she has played since coming back has really got people talking about her as one of the greats which I didn't think they did enough before she had Jagger.

Fingers crossed for Miami

LindsayRulz
Mar 23rd, 2008, 06:31 AM
Gwen was at IW this week, I can't find any pic of her with Lindsay though.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080323/capt.02eefb473cdb48188d9cb3a4cc001d92.indian_wells _tennis__camt121.jpg

brayster87
Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Gwen was at IW this week, I can't find any pic of her with Lindsay though.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080323/capt.02eefb473cdb48188d9cb3a4cc001d92.indian_wells _tennis__camt121.jpg

Looks like Gwen found a new friend :p