PDA

View Full Version : Who will win Dubai QF: Ivanovic or Dementieva?

goldenlox
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Lena leads h2h 2-0

debby
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:26 PM
OMG :tape: the match between Ana and Nicole is not even finished.
But I hope Lena.

slamchamp
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:27 PM
ok ana is 5-0 up so I think we can guess...I say ana

serenus_2k8
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Erm check the score against Nicole. I think Elena has a tough match ahead, that is all I will say :)

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Ana in straight sets 6-3,6-2.

Viktymise
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see Lena put her firmly in her place but Lena rarely wins 3 matches in a row against a top player. :o

parn2257
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Anna, but it should be a good match

Emina.
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Ana in 2.

Lucyxx
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Cracker of a match.

Lena of course. ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:37 PM
c'mon Lena ;) :) just grind her down ;)

supermarcel
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Ivanovic

mb011
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see Lena put her firmly in her place but . :o

ana will take that place herself, in the driving seat, by winning this one easily...

UDACHi
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:45 PM
this is elena's match to win. she's got 3 wins over ana if you count the one at last month's exo, 2 wins if you don't. she seems to do a good job with ana's predictable yet powerfully effective ground game and isn't one to be troubled by a few big serves.
she's got a good shot to get her first top win of the year over ana, who was injured last week.
hoping for a barn burner. :)

saint2
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Anna, but it should be a good match

wrong theard :p:p

Mynarco
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:51 PM
What??? Lena 2-0 ivanovic?
hmm...ivanovic has a higher chance of winning

-NAJ-
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Ivanovic 6:3 6:1

jonny84
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Her two wins come from 2006 - where Ana was not the player she is today.

Ana in two sets. Had reservations, but her dismissal of Nicole has shown that she means business in Dubai

adrovi
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Ana in 2

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Hong Kong was for nothing, but Ana wasted some opportunities in Indian Wells and Rosmalen.

Now I heard Ana said it's time for revanche!
That's the same words after she beat Wozniacki a few weeks back :D

AJDE!!!!

trucul
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Ana Ivanovic with a easy win

Kai
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Lena in 3 :D

LudwigDvorak
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Ana in straight sets 6-3,6-2.

ana will take that place herself, in the driving seat, by winning this one easily...

Ivanovic 6:3 6:1

Ana Ivanovic with a easy win

Yeah, Dementieva sucks soooo bad. :tape: Thank God Ana is playing someone who's such a joke. :tape:

Should be Ana in two, maybe even three since Elena's three-set prowess is seemingly gone, but I won't be surprised if Elena grinds out a win here.

miffedmax
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Hard to say. Ana's game doesn't match up that well with Elena's, but Elena does not tend to dominate against other top players (except Dani).

I would hate to see the squeaky-shoe wearing, annoying fist-pumping, boring-assed ex-wife resembling Ana win, but I wouldn't be surprised. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if Lena won.

Of course, the real upside to a Lena victory is that we're spared the sight of another Ana/Justine match up.

Piska
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Ivanovic 6/0 6/1

kaktusino
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:40 PM
But in the poll 17 for Ana, 18 for Elena. :lol:

Elena can do it! Come back Dementieva!!!

Kworb
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Come on Elena. I believe in you. I know you can do it.

I'm gonna bet all my credits on Ana so that even if my queen loses there will be an upside.

karimcartoon
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:45 PM
2006 INDIAN WELLS E. DEMENTIEVA 2-6 6-4 6-2
2006 S'HERTOGENBOSCH E. DEMENTIEVA 7-6(6)6-4

Here's my one piece of this. Those matches were in 2006 when dementieva was playing well. In indian wells she made the finals and S'hertogenbosch is a grass tournament (she made the wimbledon Quarters after) so ... maybe if she's in a good patch she can win ... you never know. i'll give Ivanovic the odds 60-40 but im holding it up for dementieva.

LudwigDvorak
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:58 PM
2006 INDIAN WELLS E. DEMENTIEVA 2-6 6-4 6-2
2006 S'HERTOGENBOSCH E. DEMENTIEVA 7-6(6)6-4

Here's my one piece of this. Those matches were in 2006 when dementieva was playing well. In indian wells she made the finals and S'hertogenbosch is a grass tournament (she made the wimbledon Quarters after) so ... maybe if she's in a good patch she can win ... you never know. i'll give Ivanovic the odds 60-40 but im holding it up for dementieva.

The Indian Wells match was weird as hell. She served thirteen double faults and was down 26 02* with game points for Ana. Then Elena re-learned how to put a ball in court and hit with some authority.

Don't know how she beat Ana on grass (don't know how she beats anyone on grass, TBH), but after seeing some highlights in Hong Kong...hm. I dunno, it's really tough, but Ana's forehand doesn't scare Elena in the slightest and Elena will usually win the backhand rallies.

What Ana has going for her is that she's much more willing to come to net and go down the line with both of her strokes. Elena will only go DTL sometimes; like Ana, she prefers the inside out forehand, but her DTL forehand has been the better, more consistent shot since 2005. Of course Ana's serve is better, but Elena seems to return Ana fairly well. And the crazy thing is that Elena's serve will usually go to Ana's big weapon, but once the point's started, it's just who plays the point better from there. Ana's forehand doesn't really take Elena out of her comfort zone.

I think they're an interesting match-up. Nothing in Ana or Elena's game is different at all since 2006, but Ana is more consistent off the ground now and Elena is arguably coming back into her 2006 level of play. But of course all of this means nothing; one or the other can play like poo tomorrow and it'll be a dull game.

Neither needs to be at peak to beat the other.

dybbuk
Feb 27th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Dementieva. She is one of the few players I am scared of Ana playing.

LudwigDvorak
Feb 27th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Dementieva. She is one of the few players I am scared of Ana playing.

May I ask why? I was going to ask in a good rep but I apparently good-repped you already.

kinglear
Feb 27th, 2008, 09:10 PM
What??? Lena 2-0 ivanovic?
hmm...ivanovic has a higher chance of winning

haha, I know it's hard to believe. But Elena is always a tough opponent. The H2H is definitely going to be in Ivanovic's head. Plus, Ivanovoic is not the strongest mentally, as good as her game is. When her game is on, she's insanely good just as Elena is...when she's on. It's going to be about who shows up to win. :)

Rod the Bama
Feb 27th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Ana in two

Niunia
Feb 27th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Elena

Serenidad.
Feb 27th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Elena in a dominating performance. 2 and 3.

Milito22
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Anita :cool:

sammy01
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:39 PM
well i feel this is a bad match up for ana, as lena hits her backhand crosscourt always which means it goes to anas weakness time after time. also lenas movement stops ana finishing points after 3 or 4 strokes, which as the rally gets longer plays into lenas hands.

i'll go with lena in 3 sets, a wear down not a beat down lol

tobi
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Despite previous results I think Ana will win quite easily.

*Hoping for Lena win though*

Corswandt
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:16 PM
well i feel this is a bad match up for ana, as lena hits her backhand crosscourt always which means it goes to anas weakness time after time. also lenas movement stops ana finishing points after 3 or 4 strokes, which as the rally gets longer plays into lenas hands.

i'll go with lena in 3 sets, a wear down not a beat down lol

It used to be like this, and it probably still holds true somewhat, but I'm extremely pessimistic. As in "Baby Anci #1", and what that would mean for the Tour, pessimistic.

sammy01
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:22 PM
It used to be like this, and it probably still holds true somewhat, but I'm extremely pessimistic. As in "Baby Anci #1", and what that would mean for the Tour, pessimistic.

huh was that in english or am i missing something lol!

spiritedenergy
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Considering the H2H and how Dementieva's athletic game troubles Ana (and how always Dementieva seems fired up against Ana), I'd say Ana in 3 sets or in 2 tight sets.

Corswandt
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:27 PM
huh was that in english or am i missing something lol!

I meant I agree with you when you say that on paper Lena D. is the worst possible matchup for Ivanovic, but I also think that nowadays that may not be so, at least not as much.

And I meant to say that I fear Ivanovic will win this match, quite possibly take the title here, and contend for #1 sometime later this season, and that this will be as disastrous for the Tour as Kuznetsova at #1 would be.

spiritedenergy
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:32 PM
I meant I agree with you when you say that on paper Lena D. is the worst possible matchup for Ivanovic, but I also think that nowadays that may not be so, at least not as much.

And I meant to say that I fear Ivanovic will win this match, quite possibly take the title here, and contend for #1 sometime later this season, and that this will be as disastrous for the Tour as Kuznetsova at #1 would be.

:weirdo:

Care to explain? You look delusional:)

Bruno71
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:33 PM

I think it'd be worse. I just don't get how Ana's game is so intimidating to so many players, but I guess kudos to her for maximizing her potential on a regular basis. That's what we're not seeing from anyone else but Maria this year.

sammy01
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:34 PM

well lets just say lena d has the game to beat ana, but well its lena d!

oh well yes i agree there, i hope henin and sharapova tussle for #1 at the end of the year (with chakvetadze #3 ;))

Freakan
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Some of you should start to watch tennis and notice that Ana's backhand is pretty much a weapon this season.

Ana 7:5 6:2

Corswandt
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I think it'd be worse.

Thinking the same. I mean, Kuznetsova at least has won a Slam, and is a very much a character, while Ivanovic has the charisma of a toilet seat.

I just don't get how Ana's game is so intimidating to so many players

Her weaknesses are there for all to see, but it takes focus and determination (not to mention a second serve, and the ability to move the ball from corner to corner...) to exploit them, and so few players on the Tour have that.

LudwigDvorak
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Some of you should start to watch tennis and notice that Ana's backhand is pretty much a weapon this season.

Chyeah, basically. It'll still bring errors that Elena will feed off of, but if Elena's going to beat Ana, it'll be because Elena's forehand is just as devastating as Ana's, and because Ana will not intimidate or tire out Elena if this match becomes a physical battle.

But Corswandt was subtly referencing Freakan's point right there...Elena's persistent CC BH will just open up the DTL BH for Ana, which she WILL do repeatedly. Fortunately Elena is very fast. But will it be enough? :help:

matanuriel
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Ana will win this in two easy sets!

Emina.
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:39 PM
i hope lena, but i think ana will win in 2

Freakan
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Chyeah, basically. It'll still bring errors that Elena will feed off of, but if Elena's going to beat Ana, it'll be because Elena's forehand is just as devastating as Ana's, and because Ana will not intimidate or tire out Elena if this match becomes a physical battle.

But Corswandt was subtly referencing Freakan's point right there...Elena's persistent CC BH will just open up the DTL BH for Ana, which she WILL do repeatedly. Fortunately Elena is very fast. But will it be enough? :help:

:eek: you know everything about this match :eek: Then tell us the score please. And stats would be nice too!

Harvs
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:45 PM
i think... ana 6/4 6/4

spiritedenergy
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Thinking the same. I mean, Kuznetsova at least has won a Slam, and is a very much a character, while Ivanovic has the charisma of a toilet seat.

Her weaknesses are there for all to see, but it takes focus and determination (not to mention a second serve, and the ability to move the ball from corner to corner...) to exploit them, and so few players on the Tour have that.

Well this is your personal opinion, i don't think you should expand it to the whole women tennis universe with catastrophic predictions as Ana has a massive following everywhere (i.e. Australian Open).
Sharapova's weaknesses are for all to see, still it's very tough to exploit them. This is true for every tennis player at their best by the way. Your statements are simply dumb.

Fidello
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:00 AM

And I meant to say that I fear Ivanovic will win this match, quite possibly take the title here, and contend for #1 sometime later this season, and that this will be as disastrous for the Tour as Kuznetsova at #1 would be.Come Armageddon come.

Dementieva wins 6:0 6:0

Slutati
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Elena in 3:bigclap:

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:25 AM
i dunno who i want to win :hysteric:

safinismine
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Wow, interesting match up.

Ana in 2.

samsam4087
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Elena will win

The Daviator
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:43 AM

:yawn:

Any player who doesn't tell jokes or isn't 'funny' is boring and has no personality or any other facets, we get it :yawn:

spiritedenergy
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:51 AM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Post reported :)

OMG I'm starting to like you:tape::lol:

Buitenzorg
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Ana wouldn't let H2H record to 0-3 against Lena :p especially Ana is one of the current TOP 3 player :)

LudwigDvorak
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:55 AM
:eek: you know everything about this match :eek: Then tell us the score please. And stats would be nice too!

:lol: I've seen two of their matches, I think I have a good idea what will go down, yes.

Let's see. Score. I'll say 76(3) 63 for Ana. That's if Elena and Ana both start out well. If Ana starts fast and Elena slow, 62 76(4) or something. If Elena's gonna take a set, but Ana still starts out strong, 62 36 63. However, both are great in three set matches, so let's say Elena wins the three-setter: 26 63 75. But Elena's comebacks usually have her dominating the second set, so 26 61 75 would be more likely, perhaps. Or maybe Elena will just whip Ana 64 63; Ana may beat Elena 61 62. If she's feeling kind that is. ;)

Stats? Ana will be something like 5/14 at net, 57% first serves, will win more second serves instead of first, and will have about 25 winners. Elena will be 0/1 at net, 62% first serves, and have about 12 winners. Ana for sure will have more unforced errors, just enough to give Elena a few sprinkled games. :)

My FULL thoughts on the match. I hope you are enlightened.

Bruno71
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:00 AM
:lol: I've seen two of their matches, I think I have a good idea what will go down, yes.

Let's see. Score. I'll say 76(3) 63 for Ana. That's if Elena and Ana both start out well. If Ana starts fast and Elena slow, 62 76(4) or something. If Elena's gonna take a set, but Ana still starts out strong, 62 36 63. However, both are great in three set matches, so let's say Elena wins the three-setter: 26 63 75. But Elena's comebacks usually have her dominating the second set, so 26 61 75 would be more likely, perhaps. Or maybe Elena will just whip Ana 64 63; Ana may beat Elena 61 62. If she's feeling kind that is. ;)

Stats? Ana will be something like 5/14 at net, 57% first serves, will win more second serves instead of first, and will have about 25 winners. Elena will be 0/1 at net, 62% first serves, and have about 12 winners. Ana for sure will have more unforced errors, just enough to give Elena a few sprinkled games. :)

My FULL thoughts on the match. I hope you are enlightened.

What if Elena starts out strong and Ana slow, but then Ana stubs her toe and sinks into a mini-depression, only to rise like a phoenix from the flame somewhere in the 3rd set? And what if Elena stages 3 mini-comebacks because she's inspired by an audience member's chartreuse dickey? I think if all this happens, Ana wins 6-2 5-7 7-6 (20)

Jachal
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:18 AM
What if Elena starts out strong and Ana slow, but then Ana stubs her toe and sinks into a mini-depression, only to rise like a phoenix from the flame somewhere in the 3rd set? And what if Elena stages 3 mini-comebacks because she's inspired by an audience member's chartreuse dickey? I think if all this happens, Ana wins 6-2 5-7 7-6 (20)

:lol:Let's see. Score. I'll say 76(3) 63 for Ana. That's if Elena and Ana both start out well. If Ana starts fast and Elena slow, 62 76(4) or something. If Elena's gonna take a set, but Ana still starts out strong, 62 36 63. However, both are great in three set matches, so let's say Elena wins the three-setter: 26 63 75. But Elena's comebacks usually have her dominating the second set, so 26 61 75 would be more likely, perhaps. Or maybe Elena will just whip Ana 64 63; Ana may beat Elena 61 62. If she's feeling kind that is. ;)

Guys, just love it. It's the first time today I really had to laugh reading this forum. Really good sense of humour from both of you:haha::haha::haha:

But seriously there's much truth about Elena's 3-set matches that LudwigDvorak wrote about. Elena likes to play the second set quickly (doesn't matter if she wins or loses the first set). There's also a tendency in her matches to play a long third set, mostly winning them (as we all are aware of her great win/loss ratio).

And just to sum it up - I really like Ana, but I will be very upset if she wins tomorrow. She must get dementinated (for the fourth time)!!!

DimaDinosaur
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:26 AM
I think Ivanovic will win. I don't understand how she plays. She's like Jankovic, but with less speed and more power......holla

ZeroSOFInfinity
Feb 28th, 2008, 02:16 AM
"Goldilocks" just got crushed by Ana. Now, "Rapunzel" is on her sights.

Ana will "shave her bald" this time around. :)

kinglear
Feb 28th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Her two wins come from 2006 - where Ana was not the player she is today.

Ana in two sets. Had reservations, but her dismissal of Nicole has shown that she means business in Dubai

Probably someone else already said this, but Elena did beat Ana at the 2008 Hong Kong Exhibition. I know it wasn't a real tournament that counts, but still she defeated her recently. That's all I'm saying.

Freakan
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Probably someone else already said this, but Elena did beat Ana at the 2008 Hong Kong Exhibition. I know it wasn't a real tournament that counts, but still she defeated her recently. That's all I'm saying.
She also lost to Peng and her doubles match there and reached AO final just few weeks after that:)

Renalicious
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I wish someone would just hurry up and put damn overrated annoying Ana in her place and double bagel her.

CORIA01
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:41 AM
ana will win in 2 sets!

serena_fan
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Ivanovic in 3

Elwin.
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Ana !

prove me wrong Lena!

bellascarlett
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Lena! You need to serve decently and move her around! :D Won't be easy but I believe she has a good chance against Ivanovic.

slamchamp
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I wish someone would just hurry up and put damn overrated annoying Ana in her place and double bagel her.:):devil:

COSAT
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Elena will win this match :D

Matt01
Feb 28th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I wish someone would just hurry up and put damn overrated annoying Ana in her place and double bagel her.

Ana is very underrated by lots of people on this board IMO. And I'm not a die-hard fan of Ana. However, I give credit where credit is due and I see talent where talent is there. :wavey:

theDreamer
Feb 28th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I think it'd be worse. I just don't get how Ana's game is so intimidating to so many players, but I guess kudos to her for maximizing her potential on a regular basis. That's what we're not seeing from anyone else but Maria this year.

Why would it be worse than disastrous for the tour for ana to be no 1?

Viktymise
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Ana is very underrated by lots of people on this board IMO. And I'm not a die-hard fan of Ana. However, I give credit where credit is due and I see talent where talent is there. :wavey:

:tape:

Seriously, you think people underrate her and overrate Vaidisova on this board? :weirdo:

Half the people here act like she's the 2nd coming or something. :o

rasko
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I think those are key words for Ana.
There are many girls with more talent than her, be she is so passionate and dedicated to tennis. That is why I love her.

Dementinator
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Who will win? well assuming 'Team Mingers' ever get off the court its hard to say, yes Lena has beaten Ana 3 times in a row but that possibly only means ana is due a win, Lena may have a small psyhcological advantage but that will only work if she starts well and gets the first set otherwise wont really matter.

Lena is obviously much more the athlete and is faster and stronger but Ana is better than she was so I guess its not easy to call at all, I will give the advantage to Ana slightly as she is obviosusly high ranked and Lenas history in these type of matches isnt great at times, but, Lena is more than capable of making it 4 times in row too, shes beaten far better players before, if you can beat Serena in a Tier One final, you can beat Ana.

We will see, I think as far as Lena goes, she either wins or gets drubbed, I cant see her losing 7-5 in the third it will be all or fuck all for Lena fans I think.

SAEKeithSerena
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:42 PM
ana is my second-favorite player, but i think elena will get the best of her.

elena wins 7-5, 6-2

miffedmax
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Well, I have to take back everything I said. With the Sprout gone, the draw is wide open and we know that Lena treats open draws the way most of us treat cottonmouths and cobras.

Looks like an easy win for Ana. I shall fetch my brolly as I expect abuse to come down like rain.

Matt01
Feb 28th, 2008, 09:42 PM
:tape:

Seriously, you think people underrate her and overrate Vaidisova on this board? :weirdo:

Yes, I think so. :rolleyes:

Shall we compare the results of these two players??

And Tier III's and TierIV's don't count :wavey:

Viktymise
Feb 28th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Yes, I think so. :rolleyes:

Shall we compare the results of these two players??

And Tier III's and TierIV's don't count :wavey:

Yeah ooooops she just lost.

At 18 Nicole had already achieved more than Ana at the same age at slams, where it really counts. ;)

Plus you said on this board, where most people totally overrate Ivanovic.

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Well, I have to take back everything I said. With the Sprout gone, the draw is wide open and we know that Lena treats open draws the way most of us treat cottonmouths and cobras.

Looks like an easy win for Ana. I shall fetch my brolly as I expect abuse to come down like rain.Nope

Matt01
Feb 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Yeah ooooops she just lost.

At 18 Nicole had already achieved more than Ana at the same age at slams, where it really counts. ;)

Plus you said on this board, where most people totally overrate Ivanovic.

You can call me when Nicole finally reaches a Tier II (or above) final. Then we can talk again...;)