PDA

View Full Version : Dubai R2: (1) Justine Henin def. (Q) Katarina Srebotnik 7-5 6-7(6) 6-3

vadin124
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:11 PM
up 3-1 in second set, :eek:

fired 13 aces!

match lasted 3 hours and 1 minute!

eck
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:12 PM
:woohoo:
Good job, Justine :yeah:

Serena-rules-no1
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:13 PM
neverending luck

Dexter
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Great match and all, but boy I'm pissed it took soo long. :o

ElusiveChanteuse
:banana: Finally :o Win Ju,win!

Credit to Kata for putting some HUGE effort and gave Ju and us a scare!;)

Poova
I am so fed up of Justine worming her way out of every hole.

Someone hold your nerve and BEAT her ffs! :help: :(

VivalaSeles
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:15 PM
neverending luck

And a W/UE ration of +21 :bounce:

LudwigDvorak
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Kata had two break points and a second serve on the first at 2-2 in the third. Justine saved both with four aces in that game and that was the turning point.

This match sounds exciting as FUCK to watch, I really want to see this. There had to have been so many delicious winners and volleys from both. :drool:

I'm proud of you Kata; she fought so well, so so so well. This has to be a confidence booster, to know she took the world #1 to the limit. :yeah:

Russianboy
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:16 PM
nice match. too bad kata didnt take her breakchances at 2-2 :o she had 40-15 on henin's service and at the second BB kata bashed a return 10 m out..

still great match kata :)

saki
A win is a win!

Kata is a very talented player. I hope she takes something from this and has a good next tournament.

pigam

you can take classes in "lucky shots", you know ;)

Duramont
Pffff, Justine always gets through these kind of matches. :(

Katarina fought sooooo hard for every ball and would have deserved this match soooo much. :(

jonny84
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Great fight for Katarina against the world #1. Really impressed with her effort. Gave Justine a big scare.

.:sk:.
Great match Kata :) :hug:

ElusiveChanteuse

fired 13 aces!

ES shows 15 though and 8 dfs.:o

ANyway,a pretty entertaining match here.Both players have more winners than UE.

new-york
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:18 PM
neverending luck

and some neverending fight, aussi.

cellophane
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Nadia's loss doesn't look so bad now.

espresso
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:19 PM

fired 13 aces!

15 aces not 13 :lol:

pigmalion
thanks once again for the heart attack Justine :rolleyes:

:worship:

LindsayRulz
Kata, so close :hug:

Congrats Justine :yeah:

vadin124
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:20 PM
http://http://www.protennislive.com/frameset.asp?year=2008&wkno=9&lang=en&tabno=4&eventid=M002&ref=fantasy.atptennis.com

Kim's_fan_4ever
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Kata, such an amazing match and still lost :( But from now on, I'm definitely a fan :yeah:

Brooks.
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:21 PM
both Venus and Justine suck this year

difference is that Juju still wins

Ballbasher
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:22 PM
thanks once again for the heart attack Justine :rolleyes:

What a useless comment :rolleyes:

Kata I'm really proud you fught so hard so sad you didn't get it :sad:

espresso
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Kata had two break points and a second serve on the first at 2-2 in the third. Justine saved both with four aces in that game and that was the turning point.

This match sounds exciting as FUCK to watch, I really want to see this. There had to have been so many delicious winners and volleys from both. :drool:

I'm proud of you Kata; she fought so well, so so so well. This has to be a confidence booster, to know she took the world #1 to the limit. :yeah:

It was a very exciting match - Kata played fabulous tennis. If only she played like that all the time she'd be in the top 10. I'm sure Rottweilly will have it on his site soon, you can then watch it.

cecilija
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:23 PM

:(

She is the one who is putting herself into the hole in the first place.

Will this run of horrible form ever end?

LudwigDvorak
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:25 PM
It was a very exciting match - Kata played fabulous tennis. If only she played like that all the time she'd be in the top 10. I'm sure Rottweilly will have it on his site soon, you can then watch it.

Oh man. All Kata fans know she could easily be top ten, her brain just takes a Schnyder u-turn in the big matches more often than not. :tape:

But I almost forgot about rottweily--can't wait!

BTW...Justine is now 12-1 for the year. Probably 15-1 after Dubai. And this is "horrible" form? Bitches be steppin' it up and she's still better than them. That's all that is.

Justine. :worship:

itzhak
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:25 PM
It was amazing match, both of them were playing fantastic tennis. Justine was very good, her best performance in 2008, she have problems with finishing sets or matches.

but Srebotnik was amazing, excellent performance, outstanding, she was really playing at the highest level, and pushed Justine also to play excellent.

Jakeev
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:26 PM
What sounds like it was an exciting match. Congrats to Katarina for challenging the world's best toe to toe.

cecilija
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:28 PM
It was amazing match, both of them were playing fantastic tennis. Justine was very good, her best performance in 2008, she have problems with finishing sets or matches.

but Srebotnik was amazing, excellent performance, outstanding, she was really playing at the highest level, and pushed Justine also to play excellent.

:spit: You've got to be kidding me.

espresso
Oh man. All Kata fans know she could easily be top ten, her brain just takes a Schnyder u-turn in the big matches more often than not. :tape:

But I almost forgot about rottweily--can't wait!

BTW...Justine is now 12-1 for the year. Probably 15-1 after Dubai. And this is "horrible" form? Bitches be steppin' it up and she's still better than them. That's all that is.

Justine. :worship:

I wouldn't speak too soon about her being 15-1 after Dubai. Schiavone is playing really well and Justine will I'm sure be a little tired don't ya think? :confused:

pigmalion

:rolleyes:
I'm a fan I was passionately fond of watching this match

miss molly
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Congrats Justine! What a fighter she is. Is it the first time she hit 15 aces in a match?
Katerina played really well, i wish her good luck for her next tournament (as long as it's not against Ju:p).
Good luck in the next round Ju.

cellophane
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I don't think it was an amazing match though...

LudwigDvorak
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't speak too soon about her being 15-1 after Dubai. Schiavone is playing really well and Justine will I'm sure be a little tired don't ya think? :confused:

Dubai is one of Justine's tournaments. She's 17-0 here now I believe? Add to that a 7-0 H2H against Schiavone who has taken one set off of Justine in all of those meetings, I'd imagine it'd be typically tough two-set tryst between those two. However, Ivanovic, Vaidisova, or Dementieva could beat Justine since that's the round she's generally most susceptible, and if she isn't tired after Kata, I'm sure she'd be after Kata AND Fran. Although only Elena's beaten her out of the three...but anyway.

Justine will be heading into Miami fresh regardless of the outcome in Dubai. :yeah:

AcesHigh
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Well.. I miss the Henin beatdowns she was handing out. No matter how well Srebotnik played, these very close matches with players ranked outside the top 25, etc. continue to be worrying. If Henin runs through the tournament to the title, obviously this will be insignificant...but each tournament this year, it looks like 2008 won't be a year she dominates.

Mynarco
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:35 PM
so close...
try harder next time :)

itzhak
I don't think it was an amazing match though...

Henin= 61 winners
Srebotnik= 39 winners

it was amazing...

iamhe
This match is of very good quality. Credit to both players.

And congrats to Justine, good job. :yeah:

LudwigDvorak
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Aces -- I say wait until clay to determine whether or not Justine is struggling. That is where she is truly dominate. If she's losing sets to Pironkova and Timea on clay, THEN I would be worrying.

Ju is fine. She's having a great year by all means, it's just the loss to Sharapova overshadows everything else.

spriwi
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:37 PM

and why is it useless ?

well done juju :yeah:

Keaka
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Didn't watch, but saw it in the LS thread.

Srebotnik, another choke at 40-15 2 BP's at 21 in the third :help:

Well better luck in next tournaments. She's getting in the top of her form next months i m o...

Justineladivine
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Just a dumb question to those talking about bad patch, horrible tennis and the like.
Did you WATCH the bloody match? I did.
Granted, Justine's not steamrolling over everyone in the first rounds a la Clijsters right now. Granted she's below her best.
But for Pete's sake what I saw was two ladies (including Ju) playing damn good tennis. Has it occurred to anyone that some of the young guns may be closing the gap with the great ones now?
Finally, supposing Justine were indeed in a slump, can't it happen to her? Is she supposed to be merely a winning machine? Hate to sound like a fanatic instead of a fan, but honestly some people really want too much. Were Ju's career to stop now, she'd already have one of the greatest legacies in the Open Era. How many people among those playing today will be able to show the same kind of record? My guess is... not that many. So, let's give the girl a break.

Keaka
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Oh yeah and Katarina could easily be top 15... just that her brains can't take the top players. She can still get better in following years :)

espresso
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Just a dumb question to those talking about bad patch, horrible tennis and the like.
Granted, Justine's not steamrolling over everyone in the first rounds a la Clijsters right now. Granted she's below her best.
But for Pete's sake what I saw was two ladies (including Ju) playing damn good tennis. Has it occurred to anyone that some of the young guns may be closing the gap with the great ones now?
Finally, supposing Justine were indeed in a slump, can't it happen to her? Is she supposed to be merely a winning machine? Hate to sound like a fanatic instead of a fan, but honestly some people really want too much. Were Ju's career to stop now, she'd already have one of the greatest legacies in the Open Era. How many people among those playing today will be able to show the same kind of record? My guess is... not that many. So, let's give the girl a break.

:worship::worship:

espresso
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Oh yeah and Katarina could easily be top 15... just that her brains can't take the top players. She can still get better in following years :)

Well her brain certainy worked today --- she gave the world #1 hell

Well done Kata :worship:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:48 PM
only saw the last set but it seemed to me that Kata played pretty darn well, Henin served her way out of some tricky spots

Destiny
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Nice match

Good rallies

Nice playing from Katarina kept going for it and believed in herself

Justine won that well but it was close none the less

Players are giving her a tough time and thats what i want to see when they play her not walkover's.

Wayn77
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Didn't see this.

Sounds like Kata gave World No. 1 one hell of a match.

Dubai is starting to rock. :bounce:

Keaka
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Well her brain certainy worked today --- she gave the world #1 hell

Well done Kata :worship:

But she could break at 21...

But an improvement :)

*Jool*
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Kata :yeah: I'm proud of you :kiss: what a fight- saving so many SP th efirst set was close , could have been a straigth set victory for Kata . (yeah , I know , coulda shoulda woulda lol )

too bad I could not see that :awww:
I really , really hope it will be a confidnce booster and that you'll keep this form in the ucoming months !!! :bounce:

:inlove:

RenaSlam.
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Henin's reign will come to an end.

Allez!!!

Dodoboy.
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:13 PM
no it won't!....well yes it will!

But this match isn't an indication!

It was a good match!

where's my comment gone?

espresso
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:14 PM

Allez!!!

Doesn't everyone's eventually? :weirdo:

Are you pissed that your gals ain't doing so well? :help: :haha:

cellophane
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:16 PM

Allez!!!

13-1... so shut the fuck up and STEP TO THIS! :dance:

toxina90
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:17 PM

Yeah especially when at 2-2 in the ifnal set Katerina could have broken at 15-40 and capitalised (she hadn't lost a point on serve in that set), nonetheless it is very refreshing and exciting that Justine keeps losing these sets when she used to be like straight sets almost all the time.

Dodoboy.
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Justine is just :worship:

I mean i am not a fan but jesus! :worship:

This is her slump ?

Il Primo!
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:21 PM

What's wrong with this post?

Henin's reign will come to an end oneday, that's right.

RJWCapriati
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:23 PM
3 hours with Srebotnik Justine???

Stamp Paid
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Why are the better girls ailing so??! :unsure:

saki
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:30 PM
3 hours with Srebotnik Justine???

Have you actually seen Kata play before? She is better than a lot of players with endless hype on WTAworld.

Slumpsova
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Justine :rolleyes:
please stop with these ridiculous set-losing :o

Kworb
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:35 PM
This is the difference between an all time great like Justine and more streaky players like the WS.

Martian KC
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Don't tire yourself out so early in the tournament, Justine.:scared:

cellophane
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:40 PM
What's wrong with this post?

Henin's reign will come to an end oneday, that's right.

Yeah, but not anytime soon. :shrug: Plus, I thought Renatard would enjoying "Steppin' da zis" :shrug:

cellophane
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:46 PM
This is the difference between an all time great like Justine and more streaky players like the WS.

WS are all-time greats too. :shrug: But Justine will probably end up achieving more if Serena doesn't win a slam this year.

Kitten63
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Well done Justine!!

esdee
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Kata - great fight:worship::hug: .Some great quality play from both players especially in the first 2 sets.

Kata had 2 break points for a 3-1 lead in the 3rd, but I think it's very unfair to say she choked. Justine fought her way through that game.

Kata also thought she had won the 2nd set breaker only for Justine to make a late challenge,which showed Kata's serve to be long, and a double fault.
She managed to put that out of her mind and win the 2nd set (and saved some match points as well, if I remember...)

patricktav2003
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:34 PM
thats big from Katraina!!

*Jean*
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Too bad Srebotnik missed those break point at 2-2 in the final set...Then, she was too shy to defeat Henin. If Henin plays like that, Ivanovic could beat her.

*Jool*
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Kata - great fight:worship::hug: .Some great quality play from both players especially in the first 2 sets.

Kata had 2 break points for a 3-1 lead in the 3rd, but I think it's very unfair to say she choked. Justine fought her way through that game.

Kata also thought she had won the 2nd set breaker only for Justine to make a late challenge,which showed Kata's serve to be long, and a double fault.
She managed to put that out of her mind and win the 2nd set (and saved some match points as well, if I remember...)

not in the second set ;) maybe in third ?

Conor
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I thought it was a good match... considering Justine's form of late. Justine was excellent at the net and her serve helped her out a lot at important points... especially the out wide serves. 15 aces to 8 df's and +21 on winners to unforced errors so just shows how well Srebotnik played.

slamchamp
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:45 PM
15 aces from justine ! wow

esdee
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:48 PM
not in the second set ;) maybe in third ?

Quite possibly;)!

Dave.
Feb 27th, 2008, 09:02 PM

Venus and Serena are greater than Henin (and probably always will be unless Henin steps onto the doubles court ever).

Good fight from Kata, she is a great player and it's good that she challenged in this match.

Pasta-Na
Feb 27th, 2008, 09:02 PM
shit... juju has been struggling in this year :fiery:

Helaena
Feb 27th, 2008, 09:14 PM
congrats justine :yeah: you really rock! for all those saying justine shouldn't lose a set to kata better watch this match first...kata played awesome, only it was just not good enough against justine...but she was really solid...if she played against nikki today, she sure would give nikki a bagel too.... ;)

shap_half
Feb 27th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Too bad Srebotnik missed those break point at 2-2 in the final set...Then, she was too shy to defeat Henin. If Henin plays like that, Ivanovic could beat her.

by "like that" you mean 61 winners and 15 aces?

RenaSlam.
Feb 27th, 2008, 09:33 PM

Nip nip nip.

The sound of 'Pova on Enna's ass.

espresso
Feb 27th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Nip nip nip.

ha ha ha

The sound of Cibulkova oh and Kvitova on Venus's ass. :help: At least Pova is in the top 5 and won 3 GS's :tape:

V-MAC
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:02 PM
:lol: Juju wiggles her way out of a very tough situation. Gotta respect that, congrats to her :)

RenaSlam.
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:10 PM
ha ha ha

The sound of Cibulkova oh and Kvitova on Venus's ass. :help: At least Pova is in the top 5 and won 3 GS's :tape:

At least Venus doesn't have six GS singles (4 Wimbledons -- most prestigous of all)...in addition to numerous GS Doubles and Mixed titles.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Step to dis! Step to dis! Step to dis!

Europe rocks
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Juju :eek: Very tough, but I guess that sometimes it's good to fight for these wins. Such a shame for Kata though, she never seems to be able to make the next step with her tennis :sad:

Corswandt
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Best match of the season so far. Highlights reel of this would run to 30 mins or more.

Srebotnik played out of her mind throughout. Too bad she's such a lousy returner of serve, or she might actually have taken out JH.

Corswandt
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:41 PM

It really was that good. Good serving, good hitting, good all-court play from both.

That Zürich match sure did wonders for Vaidisova's confidence. :help:

Serenidad.
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:47 PM
ha ha ha

The sound of Serena's eight grand slam singles titles. ;) Oh, those beatdowns of Pova that will be repeated shortly.

I don't care enough about Venus to defend her. /notafan.

Wayn77
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Best match of the season so far. Highlights reel of this would run to 30 mins or more.

Srebotnik played out of her mind throughout. Too bad she's such a lousy returner of serve, or she might actually have taken out JH.

Fuck it, I wished I had seen this match - was it really that good?

We have been spoilt rotten this week with Eurosport's Dubai coverage - 4 WTA matches live, every day. Srebotnik is rather an unachiever is she not? Saw her close up this year at Wimbledon against Hantuchova. Looked a world beater in the first set, serve & volleying. Ended up losing in three.

Kworb
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:51 PM

Definitely. It was superb quality.

LudwigDvorak
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:52 PM
It really was that good. Good serving, good hitting, good all-court play from both.

That Zürich match sure did wonders for Vaidisova's confidence. :help:

I would say I think Srebotnik is a better player than Vaidisova, but Kata is "old" and achieved relatively nothing in her career, so I'll watch what I say. But when it comes to the all-around game, court sense, movement, and anticipation, Srebotnik is much better; tactically, Srebotnik has the perfect tennis brain, she just gets nervous at the slightest bit of pressure. That's why I couldn't believe she fought so hard in this match. This is the most mentally resilient I've ever seen Katarina be, and hopefully it's a breakthrough for her in some fashion. Don't forget this is the same girl who won't play the Olympics because she doesn't think she can win it.

Vaidisova's match against Justine wasn't particularly surprising in the slightest--all the ability to beat her or anyone else, but just loses the plot with bad play and pushing the ball too much. Slightly different situations here. These are different players with different mind-frames, so something like this is a better result for a player like Srebotnik than one with the worst attitude (bar Petrova) in the top 30.

On what you said. The return of serve I knew when she had break points was going to be the main reason (along with Justine's aces) why she wasn't going to convert/win the match. That is easily both player's respective weak link in their game, but I digress. Can't wait to watch. :dance:

espresso
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:52 PM
The sound of Serena's eight grand slam singles titles. ;) Oh, those beatdowns of Pova that will be repeated shortly.

The sound of Justine's 3 wins at the FO, Wimb & USO Q/F's. :D

I don't care enough about Pova to defend her. /notafanalso. I was stressing that Justine lost to someone who has won the AO, not 2 junior players :p

slamchamp
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:54 PM

what does serena have to do with it montro? And maria is not the same one from last year so you can keep waiting for those beatdowns cause they're never gonna happen again:devil:

LudwigDvorak
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:55 PM

We have been spoilt rotten this week with Eurosport's Dubai coverage - 4 WTA matches live, every day. Srebotnik is rather an unachiever is she not? Saw her close up this year at Wimbledon against Hantuchova. Looked a world beater in the first set, serve & volleying. Ended up losing in three.

That was a bad match. Katarina started well, and her level dropped to match Hantuchova's, allowing Daniela to win. But yeah, Katarina's lost many three-set matches to top ten players in her career. Definite "could have been" situation.

ce
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:55 PM
well done Kata you playes really well

Serenidad.
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:56 PM
The sound of Justine's 3 wins at the FO, Wimb & USO Q/F's. :D

I don't care enough about Pova to defend her. /notafanalso. I was stressing that Justine lost to someone who has won the AO, not 2 junior players :p

True. Venus is horrid. As long as Serena stays number 1 on Anna_K's best active singles career list, I'm happy enough.

tobi
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Sounds like a very high quality match,pity I am missing all of these this week :(

Tough opener for Justine,hopefully she will be fresh for rest of the tournement.

espresso
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:57 PM
LOL @ some WS fans getting pissed because Justine isn't playing her best tennis but still winning :tape:

Serenidad.
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:58 PM
what does serena have to do with it montro? And maria is not the same one from last year so you can keep waiting for those beatdowns cause they're never gonna happen again:devil:

:confused: You can say what you'd like. Serena may not seem to try in some matches lately, but she'll get up on the right side of the bed to play Maria.

She was the one who beat Maria into a mental recession. Don't forget it.

slamchamp
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:59 PM
:confused: You can say what you'd like. Serena may not seem to try in some matches lately, but she'll get up on the right side of the bed to play Maria.

She was the one who beat Maria into a mental recession. Don't forget it. that's why maria will be eager to get her evenge

Serenidad.
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:01 PM
that's why maria will be eager to get her evenge

I've never seen someone truly eager to play Serena, except for Ana Ivanovic @ 06 USO.
We all know what happened in that match. :wavey:

espresso
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:01 PM
True. Venus is horrid. As long as Serena stays number 1 on Anna_K's best active singles career list, I'm happy enough.

So if Justine ends up winning more GS's than Serena, as long as Serena stays number 1 on Anna_K's best active singles carrer list, you'll be happy?

Oh OK :p

slamchamp
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I've never seen someone truly eager to play Serena, except for Ana Ivanovic @ 06 USO.
We all know what happened in that match. :wavey:
what about that match?:confused:

AmeDevotee
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:04 PM
you can take classes in "lucky shots", you know ;)

:haha:

Emina.
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:05 PM
this thread is not about Maria or Serena! :confused::wavey:

Corswandt

Oh yes.

But last year I had it worse - I missed Henin d. Petrova in Miami (no ES2) and both Jankovic d. Safarova and above all Marion d. Henin at Wimbledon (lousy coverage from local station).

Srebotnik is rather an unachiever is she not? Saw her close up this year at Wimbledon against Hantuchova. Looked a world beater in the first set, serve & volleying. Ended up losing in three.

Wimbledon junior champ '98 - beating Clijsters in the final. :lol:

I think Srebotnik has improved. Her FH didn't seem like a weapon the first few times I saw her play back in 2006, now she can flatten it out better. She was always resourceful, with a full arsenal of shots and an appealing all-court game, but now she seems both more consistent and more aggressive from the baseline, hitting much more cleanly. But her poor ROS will always be a problem - there are few top 50 players who get aced more often than her (other examples - Safarova, Santangelo). At the match vs Safina in Doha, she was guessing on Safina's 2nd serve and usually failing miserably.

But on this match, she was fired up and determined to give her all. On that match against Safina I just mentioned, she looked as if she couldn't be arsed most of the time.

Serenidad.
So if Justine ends up winning more GS's than Serena, as long as Serena stays number 1 on Anna_K's best active singles carrer list, you'll be happy?

Oh OK :p

Anna_K is competent. He'll make necessary adjustments as he deems fit, if said situation happens.

We all know who is number one on the list now and rightfully.

Serenidad.
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:06 PM
this thread is not about Maria or Serena! :confused::wavey:

ALL threads are about Serena.

Corswandt
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:10 PM
tactically, Srebotnik has the perfect tennis brain, she just gets nervous at the slightest bit of pressure. That's why I couldn't believe she fought so hard in this match. This is the most mentally resilient I've ever seen Katarina be, and hopefully it's a breakthrough for her in some fashion.

Exactly.

Srebotnik reminds me of Schiavone in terms of point building skills, tactical awareness and shot selection, but she has more weapons and a bigger game in general.

Wayn77
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Exactly.

Srebotnik reminds me of Schiavone in terms of point building skills, tactical awareness and shot selection, but she has more weapons and a bigger game in general.

Watching her this week I'd forgotton how good Schiavone CAN be. Point construction, working a opening, super technique and all-court shot-making. With her though it's all about confidence, which is always very brittle. I agree Srebotnik has the bigger game - Fran has more technique.

Corswandt
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Watching her this week I'd forgotton how good Schiavone CAN be. Point construction, working a opening, super technique and all-court shot-making. With her though it's all about confidence, which is always very brittle. I agree Srebotnik has the bigger game - Fran has more technique.

Schiavone's strokes look godawful, but they do the business. Her shot selection, as in hitting the right shot at the right time, is on par with Henin's.

Corswandt
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I would say I think Srebotnik is a better player than Vaidisova

Probably, but check the H2H and the stats of their matches. Reason: piss poor ROS from Srebotnik.

Uranus
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Justine is struggling too much this year. I'm worried. We're used to much better from her.
Even if this sounds like a high quality match, I'm waiting for her next results here.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:46 PM
This is the best match she has played this year in my opinion.... :yeah:

Kata really pushed Justine to the edge, but each time, she managed to level the odds...

Funny though she had so many aces (15 I believe?), but also a significant number of DF... 8 :tape: She still needs to work on the serve.

Kata :hug: Great game girl... Expect you to be much better next time.

Now, I am a bit fearful of Justine's next opponent.... Schivone.... that lady give Justine the fits everytime...

cellophane
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Nip nip nip.

It's Henin, and she doesn't have an ass. Get banned already, REETARD.

RenaSlam.
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:20 AM
It's Henin, and she doesn't have an ass. Get banned already, REETARD.

For those of us that don't give a crap about "Henin", it's pronounced "ENNA."

Wishful thinking on the last part of your post -- STEP!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Reetards :worship:

DimaDinosaur
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:21 AM
For those of us that don't give a crap about "Henin", it's pronounced "ENNA."

Wishful thinking on the last part of your post -- STEP!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Reetards :worship:

Venus doesn't deserve trolling fans like you. Stop embarrassing us. STEP!!!! :haha: STEP!!!! :haha:

dya74
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Playing 3 hours in a damn second round:(! I'm waiting for a sound and safe 2- sets win against Francesca:rocker2:

kaghat
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:38 AM
DUBAI 2007,

R32 BYE
R16 H2H (Q) PASZEK, TAMIRA SHELAH AUT 127 W 4-6 7-5 6-1
Q H2H DANIILIDOU, ELENI GRE 42 W 6-0 6-2
S H2H (3) KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA RUS 5 W 1-6 6-4 6-0
F H2H (2/W) MAURESMO, AMELIE FRA 3 W 6-4 7-5
WTA Championship Pts: 300 WTA Ranking Pts.: 300 Prize Money: $231080

DOHA 2007

R32 BYE
R16 H2H (S) MOLIK, ALICIA AUS 74 W 6-2 7-6(9)
Q H2H (5) SCHNYDER, PATTY SUI 13 W 3-6 6-4 7-5
S H2H (4/W) JANKOVIC, JELENA SRB 10 W 6-7(5) 6-2 6-4
F H2H (2) KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA RUS 5 W 6-4 6-2
WTA Championship Pts: 275 WTA Ranking Pts.: 275 Prize Money: $222000

MIAMI 2007,

R128 BYE
R64 H2H KING, VANIA USA 78 W 6-4 6-1
R32 H2H RAZZANO, VIRGINIE FRA 71 W 6-2 2-6 7-6(5)
R16 H2H (18) ZVONAREVA, VERA RUS 20 W 6-3 6-2
Q H2H (6) PETROVA, NADIA RUS 7 W 7-6(4) 7-6(4)
S H2H (9) CHAKVETADZE, ANNA RUS 11 W 6-2 6-3
F H2H (13) WILLIAMS, SERENA USA 18 L 0-6 7-5 6-3

This is only to show that the best year of Justine's carreer started with the same difficult matches. It's better so. The players make her work and the wat she needs to become greater and greater, that's a sign of big champion.

chloe-l
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:23 AM

dropshot13th
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:09 PM
great fight katarina