PDA

View Full Version : WTA rolling in buck$$

goldenlox
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:48 AM
"The WTA has become profitable. We're now spending money on marketing and our revenue generation from sponsorship is far higher, as it is from TV," she said. "We actually, for the first time, have a reserve. We have an $84-million [U.S.], six-year contract for the year-end championships [2008-10 in Qatar and 2011-13 in Turkey]."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080225.TEBBUTT25/TPStory/?query=tennis

*JR*
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM
"The WTA has become profitable. We're now spending money on marketing and our revenue generation from sponsorship is far higher, as it is from TV," she said. "We actually, for the first time, have a reserve. We have an $84-million [U.S.], six-year contract for the year-end championships [2008-10 in Qatar and 2011-13 in Turkey]."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080225.TEBBUTT25/TPStory/?query=tennis
That's nice. Perhaps now they can cover the expenses of players (and coaches) traveling to tournaments, and a second hotel room for the coach? Of course in all major team sports these expenses are covered, not to mention that the player doesn't have to pay the salary of a professional coach.

goldenlox
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM
That's true. They should use this new money to help the rank and file, who need the financial help.
And they should raise early round prizemoney. Especially at IW and Miami.
Being one of those 96 should be worth $10,000, and $20,000 to be in the final 64.

Cp6uja
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I'm never in doubt that Sharapova/Ivanovic era will be golden era in womans tennis in terms of profit (two "high-competetive Kournikovas" in same time is just perfect for $$$), but things is actualy not so good like seems. Most dangerous thing for womans tennis right now (and theys profit also) is upcoming total disaster of US woman tennis. I dont see even close anybody to replace players like Lindsay, Venus and Serena. Thanks god that Maria is global superstar with strong connections with US public, but without next tennis great champion from USA, WTA needs atleast one TOP10 or couple TOP20 players from USA in near future to prevent big damage after last US big3 retirment.

On other hand we must to confess that iritating Larry Scott is maybe already best CEO/manager which WTA ever have (in terms of business) and especialy is good his shedule reform project (since 2009) with 4+4 big events formula. Equal money prize at slams like first step, and now with 4 new "big events" (+YEC) which is ready to be compared with ATP masters series is next step - and without profit this will be unposible.

goldenlox
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:47 PM
If Na Li can win a major, the money coming into the sport from China will be unbelievable.

Even though the US is dead, the USO is a cash cow and the USTA will always be able to support a lot of events.

Cp6uja
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:41 PM
If Na Li can win a major, the money coming into the sport from China will be unbelievable.

Even though the US is dead, the USO is a cash cow and the USTA will always be able to support a lot of events.Actualy we dont know what will happen after Lindsay and Sisters go without any seriously US replaces b/c that will be unique situation in womans tennis. Even after end of Evert/Graf era when USA dont have any big champion (between 1990 and 1996 about 25 slams in the row without US champion) you always have atleast 3 US players in TOP10 or atleast 5 in TOP20 - and look what will happen now, without last big3 USA will be some time probably without any seeds at slams. Unbelivable.

And when we talking about Na Li, she is best Chinese (and Asian) player right now (and best CHN ever) and better than any USA WTA player which is born after 1981 - but she is for sure not WTA Yao Ming... not even close. She is (1982) only year younger than Serena, but still dont have any tier-II or above final or GS semis... and if we looks at all young prospects right now (22 and younger upcoming stars) - it's all europians... and that is not perfect for woman$ tenni$.

In The Zone
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Wow. Prize money going up is a must. It's probably the only good thing coming out of the 2010 (2009) Roadmap.

goldenlox
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Is the roadmap bad? We haven't seen it in action yet.
Anything that pays players around #100 50% more is good.
And don't worry about the US. Sharapova lives there and loves the spotlight. Oscar parties, ESPYs, Regis, Letterman, Lena, Ellen. Sharapova will keep interest in the US

random fan
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:47 PM
What will be the other 4 "big events"? Miami and IW I assume. Doha maybe, what else?

In The Zone
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Beijing and Madrid, right? The 9-day joint events. I think.

theFutureisNow
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:58 PM
That's nice. Perhaps now they can cover the expenses of players (and coaches) traveling to tournaments, and a second hotel room for the coach? Of course in all major team sports these expenses are covered, not to mention that the player doesn't have to pay the salary of a professional coach.

The only problem with that is that it is most likely the top players are the ones that make them their money.

It sounds cynical, but I think the WTA would be better off financially if they didn't support the lower tier players. Lots of people want to see an upset, but will the fans keep watching a tournament if all the big names lose? I don't have the numbers to look at, but I would guess that TV ratings and attendance are both higher when the big names are playing.

I'm also worried about the US situation. Western Europe is also very thin on upcoming players. Pretty much the only place doing really well is not known for contributing much of any financial support to tennis. I think the WTA's best chance is to play up the "cinderella stories" and try to make some of the Eastern Europe players honorary Americans. Or give Bollettieri a huge bonus if he can develop any top American player.

mboyle
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:56 PM
The only problem with that is that it is most likely the top players are the ones that make them their money.

It sounds cynical, but I think the WTA would be better off financially if they didn't support the lower tier players. Lots of people want to see an upset, but will the fans keep watching a tournament if all the big names lose? I don't have the numbers to look at, but I would guess that TV ratings and attendance are both higher when the big names are playing.

I'm also worried about the US situation. Western Europe is also very thin on upcoming players. Pretty much the only place doing really well is not known for contributing much of any financial support to tennis. I think the WTA's best chance is to play up the "cinderella stories" and try to make some of the Eastern Europe players honorary Americans. Or give Bollettieri a huge bonus if he can develop any top American player.

People...PEOPLE. Let's get real here. The people of Doha and Turkey just paid almost 100 million dollars to host a women's tennis tournament until 2012. As far as I know, the middle east has NEVER had a single top 100 player. Not everything is about nationalism...

Expat
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:12 PM
People...PEOPLE. Let's get real here. The people of Doha and Turkey just paid almost 100 million dollars to host a women's tennis tournament until 2012. As far as I know, the middle east has NEVER had a single top 100 player. Not everything is about nationalism...

these are countries trying to show that they "support" women's rights and rolling in petro money
i am not sure if turkey has any oil money the way it begs the EU to let it in

about nationalism its true for only Britain not the US
the US has 10 other options to see if there is no american player
unless we get someone like anna k again its hard to see why americans would be watching wta again

frontier
Feb 27th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Its not everbody that makes money,if you are outside the top ten you make next to nothing.The disparities are clear players like Serena earn $23MIL.a year whereas a player like say Peer earns $500 000.00,because its an expensive sport most of money goes to hotel ,coaches,trainers and just hangerson.

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:37 PM

That's true. They should use this new money to help the rank and file, who need the financial help.
And they should raise early round prizemoney. Especially at IW and Miami.
Being one of those 96 should be worth $10,000, and $20,000 to be in the final 64.

Its not everbody that makes money,if you are outside the top ten you make next to nothing.The disparities are clear players like Serena earn $23MIL.a year whereas a player like say Peer earns $500 000.00,because its an expensive sport most of money goes to hotel ,coaches,trainers and just hangerson.

Fully agree with all these posts. If there is more money coming into the sport I don't want to see it going to the Henins and Sharapovas and Ivanovics who don't need it anyway, I want to see that money helping those players outside the top 100 who are struggling just to make ends meet and afford to stay on the tour.

sammy01
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:42 PM
well lets hope they invest it wisely and dont pump it in henin, sharapova ect pockets,

Jakeev
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Despite American tennis being in the doldrums, there are so many excellent players coming up the ranks that is making the game so much more exciting. Coupled with the fact sex appeal is better than ever in the game, the WTA can only keep going up.