PDA

View Full Version : What some of you are forgetting about Venus.

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:21 AM
She almost lost in the first round of this tournament last year to Akiko Morigami.

The one consequence of 172 players playing this week, is that you're going to play players you've never even seen or heard of before.

Venus made a serious mistake in playing Doha on rebound ace, her worst surface and then coming to Memphis on plexipave.

She did a Jankovic, no big deal.

It's not the end of her career.
Every player makes mistakes like this.

darrinbaker00
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:33 AM
She almost lost in the first round of this tournament last year to Akiko Morigami.

The one consequence of 172 players playing this week, is that you're going to play players you've never even seen or heard of before.

Venus made a serious mistake in playing Doha on rebound ace, her worst surface and then coming to Memphis on plexipave.

Almost losing and actually losing are two different things, and the only mistake Venus made in Doha was not beating a player she should have beaten easily. I haven't the foggiest idea what's going on in Venus' head, but she needs to get it resolved with the quickness.

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Almost losing and actually losing are two different things, and the only mistake Venus made in Doha was not beating a player she should have beaten easily. I haven't the foggiest idea what's going on in Venus' head, but she needs to get it resolved with the quickness.

She always loses to players she shouldn't lose to in the middle east.
She's 3-4 in the tournaments at Doha and Dubai over the last six years.

This was a schedule mistake.
There's absolutely no reason to have played Doha.
You would think she would be happy not to play on rebound ace anymore.

Her implusiveness to play in Doha probably cost her this tournament win in Memphis.

~Eclipsed~
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:43 AM

Just because she should beat a player, doesn't mean she has to. If that was the case why not give all the top players byes into the QFs, SFs, etc.

I'm not saying this loss is excusable because it isn't, but you aren't you're not a tennis player so you have no idea what she or any other player goes through from week to week. It's hard to always play your best week in and week out, especially when your playing other players as hungry as this girl is.

Morrissey
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Top players do lose from time to time to low ranked players they have never heard of before. Venus tends to do poorly in the beginning of the year anyway. She's always been like this. I don't know why Venus bothers playing in the Middle East she's never won there. I think she needs to return to the limited schedule. I sure hope Venus SKIPS the India event next week she needs a break to recharge for Miami. I don't agree with Venus flying all over the world to play events. Venus loss today is not exactly a big shock she's had upsets before in her career. Venus will bounce back like she always does. I just hope she understand she's a veteran now no need to travel all over the world just play a limited schedule and try to peak for the slams.

darrinbaker00
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Just because she should beat a player, doesn't mean she has to. If that was the case why not give all the top players byes into the QFs, SFs, etc.

I'm not saying this loss is excusable because it isn't, but you aren't you're not a tennis player so you have no idea what she or any other player goes through from week to week. It's hard to always play your best week in and week out, especially when your playing other players as hungry as this girl is.
I do play tennis, and I do understand how hard it is to play your best week in and week out. I also understand that champions find a way to win when they aren't playing their best. Venus used to be able to do that; for whatever reason, she's lost that ability.

~Eclipsed~
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:56 AM
I do play tennis, and I do understand how hard it is to play your best week in and week out. I also understand that champions find a way to win when they aren't playing their best. Venus used to be able to do that; for whatever reason, she's lost that ability.

Pro tour or recreational tennis?

darrinbaker00
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Pro tour or recreational tennis?
I play USTA tournaments and leagues. Why do you ask?

Renalicious
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:15 AM
She should still win to these players no matter what the surface is.

So Disrespectful
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Seriously, there is no need to make excuses for Venus. You people hold impossibley lofty standards for her that she'll never live up to.

There is a reason that Venus has not finished in the top 5 since 2002. Whether it comes down to injuries, poor play, or whatever, the point is that she can't string together consistent results on a weekly basis. She hasn't shown the ability to do so for years now (and no, 2-3 months does not count). It's ludacris to expect consistent good results every week. She is the world number 8, and currently only one player in the top 8 has consistent, solid results in every tournament she contests.

If you don't have any expectations for her, she won't let you down. Just play it by ear, she could well end up winning a slam this year. But to expect Venus to go deep into tournaments more than a handful of times in a season is not realistic.

DimaDinosaur
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Venus is OLD. There's no way she win matches at her age. What do you guys expect from her???? I mean, come on! Your grandparents aren't winning matches. Why should we expect Venus to?

~Eclipsed~
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:28 AM
I play USTA tournaments and leagues. Why do you ask?

I don't really think playing that level of tournamets is a fair comparsion. Do you?

And in reference to your true champions find a way to win. There is a such thing as low confidence and a bad day. I'm not making excuses for her...i'm just saying some people's expectations are too high of top players performances all the time.

darrinbaker00
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:41 AM
I don't really think playing that level of tournamets is a fair comparsion. Do you?

And in reference to your true champions find a way to win. There is a such thing as low confidence and a bad day. I'm not making excuses for her...i'm just saying some people's expectations are too high of top players performances all the time.
First of all, I wasn't making a comparison; you said I'm not a tennis player, which is not true. Second of all, regardless of what level you play, the principle is the same: winners find a way to win when they're not at their best. Third of all, I don't think it's too much to expect Venus Williams to beat a player with a triple-digit ranking. If you do, that's your business, but I don't.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Venus even in her best years had shock losses, however usually Venus doesn't have TWO in a row. Her last two losses of '07 were kind of puzzling as well. I'm not sure exactly what is going on with Venus but it's very obvious that something isn't right.

At the Australian Open Venus was very moody and didn't even seem like she wanted to be out there. I hope something isn't going on in her personal life, but it very much seems that way.

~Eclipsed~
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:45 AM
First of all, I wasn't making a comparison; you said I'm not a tennis player, which is not true. Second of all, regardless of what level you play, the principle is the same: winners find a way to win when they're not at their best. Third of all, I don't think it's too much to expect Venus Williams to beat a player with a triple-digit ranking. If you do, that's your business, but I don't.

This recurring statement urks me. Fine, she's a champion, but regardless she's not going to win all the time. She's human...if she was a machine then maybe you would have a point.

darrinbaker00
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:50 AM
This recurring statement urks me. Fine, she's a champion, but regardless she's not going to win all the time. She's human...if she was a machine then maybe you would have a point.
Of course she's not going to win all the time, but two losses in a row to two never-will-bes? For a player of Venus' extraordinary talent and accomplishments, that's inexcusable. Obviously possible, but inexcusable.

G1Player2
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Venus is OLD. There's no way she win matches at her age. What do you guys expect from her???? I mean, come on! Your grandparents aren't winning matches. Why should we expect Venus to?

I know you're a troll but didn't Venus just win Wimbeldon at the age she is now? :weirdo: Everyone knows you're a troll and all but i just wanted to respond. :)

LH2HBH
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:31 AM
It's really not that big a deal. Venus has had mental lapses in the past and she usually shakes them off.

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Yeah, I want to even speculate that something in her personal life isn't right. I dont' know what it is. But she may very well be happy. I don't know. But she did seem moody at the AO. I'm still worried about her anaemia (whether she is or isn't over it). Since she keeps her private life out of the spotlight, so we will never know her results or her diagnosis. I swear, I'm trying to stay away from this board so that I won't be as obsessed about the Williams sisters as much. But here I am speculating...Ahhh, time to move on. I guess I'm not so optimistic because the next slam is on Clay and we all know the clay isn't their best surface.

faboozadoo15
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Wasn't Memphis Venus's first tournament of 2007? This year is completely different. She played well in Australia on a surface that should suit her game, but she lost to Ivanovic in a match that many of her fans dismissed as a fluke :tape: Since then, she's lost to two players hardly any of us had ever heard of.

You'd have a better argument sticking with the "Venus starts out every year badly" like all her other fans.

Serenidad.
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Venus has never been the hallmark of consistency like someone said before.

If she wasn't at her peak what makes you think it's going to come in her slumps and lows?

petra martinnen
Feb 27th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Yes, Venus is not what she was many years ago. That said, the gals who beat her are rather good players dsepite "low" rankings now. these are not kids on recreational courts! People here forget that any player, whether it is Federer or a Williams, must be readym near 100%, to routinely take out hungry WTA and ATP pros.

The "lowly" #100 somethings are among the best players in their countries and far better even than USA NCAA Div 1 gals and guys. Any top player at 90% is often going down.

The problem with the W sisters is that they have had outside interests, injuries and desire for Slam longevity only and are possibly bored with week in week out touring. When I watch lower ranked players play stars it can take a half hour of battle before you really see who the better player is. So no, an 85% mega star is in trouble against anyone in the draw. Recall how Federer lost to Volandri in 2007!

Kipling
Feb 27th, 2008, 01:37 PM
As a fan of the "evil Pova", I want to point out the irony of this thread. A year ago, sisters fans were saying Sharapova had "peaked" and was "on the downside of her career", had simply been "beaten down" by the "more talented" WS, was using "injuries" as an "excuse", blah blah blah. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, the list of reasons, excuses, and whatnot is a mile long. Maybe some are even legitimate. Hopefully, some of you will gain a little perspective having your favorite go through a slump.

That's not to say I don't empathize. While I'm no fan of hers, she's clearly a better player than what she's demonstrated as of late, and if she's injured, or going through personal problems, I hope she's better soon.

Carry on...

SharapovaFan16
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Has Venus played good tennis at all this year? Let's start up the excuses people :lol:. Fact is her career is on the down swing, and it's hard for some of her fans to accept. I'm sure we'll hear wait until Wimbledon or some non sense like that. Let's face the facts people Venus has turned into a minor threat on the WTA Tour. A new generation of tennis is upon us, get used to it.

WannaBe if that is you in your avatar, dude you are a real fruit cake. Get that queer ass nonsense out of here please.

tucker1989
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Maybe she was jetlagged?

Il Primo!
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I'm not worried by her game, just by her looks. I'm gonna put my ass down somewhere and wait. No more expectations, she'll win when she decides to and I just don't intervene. I will support her for sure I love her way too much to let her down.

Olórin
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:19 PM
As a fan of the "evil Pova", I want to point out the irony of this thread. A year ago, sisters fans were saying Sharapova had "peaked" and was "on the downside of her career", had simply been "beaten down" by the "more talented" WS, was using "injuries" as an "excuse", blah blah blah. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, the list of reasons, excuses, and whatnot is a mile long. Maybe some are even legitimate. Hopefully, some of you will gain a little perspective having your favorite go through a slump.

That's not to say I don't empathize. While I'm no fan of hers, she's clearly a better player than what she's demonstrated as of late, and if she's injured, or going through personal problems, I hope she's better soon.

Carry on...

You make it sound like Venus' fans don't know what it's like to ride through a slump with her :lol:

Carry on...yeah we will...just as we have been for the past 10 years.

Olórin
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Has Venus played good tennis at all this year? Let's start up the excuses people :lol:. Fact is her career is on the down swing, and it's hard for some of her fans to accept. I'm sure we'll hear wait until Wimbledon or some non sense like that. Let's face the facts people Venus has turned into a minor threat on the WTA Tour. A new generation of tennis is upon us, get used to it.

WannaBe if that is you in your avatar, dude you are a real fruit cake. Get that queer ass nonsense out of here please.

Likewise.

SharapovaFan16
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Trying to get the post count up eh?

Olórin
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Trying to get the post count up eh?

No...if I really wanted to get my post count up I would pick a player to hate and post the same drivel about them everytime they lost.

SharapovaFan16
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM
No...if I really wanted to get my post count up I would pick a player to hate and post the same drivel about them everytime they lost.

Well I hope you aren't trying to say I do that. Then you would be way way way off base.

Cakeisgood
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:06 PM

Sigh, can't we all just take the loss as it is? A loss?